Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Complex Patella Tendon Rupture  (Read 7811 times)

Offline Kaddydee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 61
Re: Complex Patella Tendon Rupture
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 04:59:05 AM »
Hi NoGoodKnees,

Just checking in to see how you are going after your op?  I hope everything went smoothly and that you are on your way to a full recovery!  With the cold weather that has hit Australia, it's not a bad time to be rugged up inside.

Take Care,
Kath

Offline NoGoodKnees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 05:55:38 AM »
Hi just wanted to give an update on my progress. Today is 10 and a half weeks since rupture occurred. And exactly 8 weeks post surgery. The 2 and a half weeks from when I did the injury till surgery I experienced no pain what so ever. Very extensive bruising and my leg was immobilised in a brace.

Surgery went well and after an overnight stay in hospital was sent home with endone, anti-inflammatories and other pain killers. Once again I was so lucky and didn't need to take any of them as I experienced no pain what so ever. Was surprised at the length of my scar (approx 25cm). Had my first review by the surgeon at 3 weeks post op. As my patella tendon was split vertically and one half remained attached to the tibia but detached from the patella and the other half was attached at the patella but not the tibia, the Dr drilled through both bones and sewed the tendon back on and also sewed down to middle to rejoin that tear. The bit of bone from the avulsion fracture of my patella was not viable to re attach so the piece of fractured bone was removed.

I had been walking around at home without crutches from approx 2.5 weeks Post surgery, so the surgeon was ok with me to not use them anymore. He was surprised at the Rom I had in my knee and how well it was heeling. I was still unable to get a clearance to go back to work or a clearance to drive, but was ecstatic to get rid of the crutches. Surgeon keeps reminding me of the complex and serious nature of my injury which at times is hard to process the amount of damage I did.

My first physio was at 5 weeks post surgery and I had ROM of 70%. This week my ROM is almost 100%. Have been a bit naughty and walk around without my brace at home. Gosh it feels great though!

Mild discomfort when doing physio exercises but still no pain. Dr unsure why I haven't had any pain. The injury hurt for about half an hour after I did it then no pain since. If anyone can shed some light on why this is so please do. Although I am not complaining.

My knee has buckled on me at times, when my brace has been loose and once when I wasn't wearing my brace. But not to the point where I fell.

All up doing well. Can feel a real weakness in my knee, but can't wait to get back to the gym when I can drive. This site has been so helpful and I appreciate all of the information from it.

Offline Kaddydee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 08:11:39 AM »
Wow!  What a great recovery!  I'm so happy for you.
You've given me hope - I've decided to have my surgery at the end of Oct so it's uplifting to hear a positive story.
Keep us updated and continue to stay positive!
Kath

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2014, 05:21:44 AM »
NoGoodKnees. I differed in having a complete rupture of the Quad rather than Patellar tendon  but I too suffered no pain, either at the time of injury or post op. My surgeon actually kept me in hospital an extra night , feeling I would need IV painkillers! I did not. No one can explain this. I was actually back at work 3 days post op, and driving after 2 weeks. Back hiking Vancouver's Grouse Grind at 6 weeks.( One of the world's 10 most dangerous hikes).
   Each of us is different, but financial necessity is a great incentive!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline NoGoodKnees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 12:47:20 PM »
Hi All,

As per the story at the beginning of this post it is now 4 months since I ruptured my patella tendon  (half of the tendon ruptured off the patella, then tore down the middle of the tendon to the tibia, and then  the other half of the tendon ruptured off at the tibia.) Operation went well, very minimal pain post op. About 9 weeks post op I did notice a hole like indent at the base of my patella in the middle where the tendon had torn down to the tibia. The surgeon called it a 'deminished' part if tendon and said he would keep an eye on it as it may heal itself.

.Four weeks ago my knee gave way twice in one weekend. Both times I fell back, no impact on knee. Slight soreness and moderate swelling. Didn't think too much of it until 5 days later when my knee  turned yellowish like an old bruise. There was also a lump on it when I did verticals leg lifts from a sitting position or whenever I tensed my knee cap. Went to the GP who ordered a scan. Had the scan last week and the scanning Dr was concerned as from what he saw his diagnosis was that I have re ruptured the part of the tendon that I had ruptured off the patella initially (repair of rupture at the tibia still intact).

Very surprised as like all the way through have had very little pain. I have noticed I can't straighten my leg or lift it very high when laying down. Frustrated as  prior to surgery the surgeon mention putting an ancor in to keep the repair in tact then take it out at a later date. Post op he told me he didn't need to put one in as he thought it should hold.

Surgeon visit next week, but just wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar complication and if follow up surgery was required and time frames for walking, driving etc.

Thanks in advance :-)

Offline Thomas99

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 08:21:13 AM »
Hi NoGoodKnees,

Unfortunately my story and outcomes are almost the same as yours. I ruptured my left patellar tendon on the 10th June 2014 (one day before your injury) tripping on an unsafe angled tile. I am also from Australia.

I have stairs with no lift at my workplace office as well and have not been in my office since the injury due to the stairs, although I have been able to do some work remotely from home.

5 months post surgery, I was still experiencing significant pain and was unable to do a vertical left lift at all. Doctor ordered a MRI and I saw a new Orthopaedic Surgeon who advised that I had partially re-ruptured the patellar tendon again. I will need to have the surgery redone all over again in early December and to start my rehab/recovery from scratch again. They will use my right hamstring for the graft this time as they used the left hamstring for the last graft.

Not looking forward to starting all over again and going through the incapacity and pain, but the one thing I have learned from this site, is that patience is required.