Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 6 weeks post Medial Meniscus/Chondro surg - Need advice on pain issues  (Read 895 times)

Offline cahiker

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I am 6 weeks post op for a partial medial meniscectomy and patellar chondroplasty and am having pain issues that the surgeon has given me no advice on besides, "Everyone feels pain differently.  I feel you'll do ok, we just don't know the time frame.", but also when asked at what point should I worry the pain hasn't gone away, says, "2 months." 

My tear was near the posterior horn of the medial meniscus and the surgeon says he only took "about 15%", although there is no mention in the surgical notes of the size of the tear or the % removed.

I am hoping (well, actually I wouldn't wish this on anyone), that some members have experienced (or know about) similar pain and can tell me what they have discovered or experienced, what (if anything) helped, and what their current condition or outcome has been. 

I have intense burning, pulling, "caught" pain and extreme tenderness in the area I'll describe as the medial/posterior "edge" of my knee and leg.  The area extends down my calf about 4 inches from my knee bend, and extends up into my thigh about 4-6 inches.  The width varies from about 1" in the thigh to about 2" in the calf.  The burning feeling also extends to the medial side of the knee (an area about 3x4") and the lower edge of the kneecap.  The most intense burning, pulling, tender pain is along that medial/posterior "edge" area.  The tenderness is so extreme, just pressing with light to medium pressure, not very deeply at all, sends me through the roof.  The most intense tender area is about 1-2" below the knee bend area on the side/back edge.

I have the pain all the time, and it increases with any activity - even just a few steps.  Very disturbingly, when I just try to do quad sets, the pull and burn intensifies with each contraction - I've tried propping my leg/ankle up on something and doing the quad contraction, to eliminate the added pressure of pressing the tender area into the floor, but the contraction still elicits the pull and burn pain.

I feel it's nerve pain.  The surgeon does not agree that I have a nerve issue.  The physical therapist thinks it could be tendinitis, but also says, "anything's possible" and that they don't see a lot of nerve patients in their practice.

I have tried ice, heat, massage, stretching, meds, etc. and besides a little relief from the ice and a little relief from the meds, nothing alleviates the pain. 

I was hoping after getting the flap tear removed, that I would be able to crank on the rehab and be regularly active again, but this is killing me.

In the first few days after surgery I had a sensation of water dripping down my leg (which the surgeon said he'd never heard of), and from time to time, the area described has gone numb, with the feeling returning in a few hours.  I also still have my original sharp meniscus pain (argh!) and a raw feeling and sharp pains around the kneecap and incision areas. 

The pulling burning pain is what I am most concerned about (well, besides the fact that I still have the meniscus pain).

Thank you for anything you can share.  Please advise.  Thanks.

Offline rajesh.saini

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Am also going through same phase... had tears in right knee lateral meniscus, went an arthroscopic surgery in Oct 2013 and partial meniscus was removed. But, after the surgery, I started felling bone rubbing in the medial side of knee which was not the case before surgery and the situation is getting worst day by day with more clicking sounds and burning.

After 3-4 instances of Knee locking and pain on both sides, went for another MRI in March 2014 which showed more tears(horizontal and oblique) in lateral meniscus and incomplete tear in medial meniscus(which was not there earlier). It also shows signs of degeneration in PCL.

So I am in worst situation after surgery. My Doctor keep silent on these questions(May be because his purpose has solved with one surgery). Also tried another doctor which suggested another surgery which I do not want. PT also not helping out.

I have been reading about Stem Cells Therapy/ PRP techinques for these type of problems but these are in research phase and waiting for some more time.

Offline Jordan1

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
I am 6 weeks post op for a partial medial meniscectomy and patellar chondroplasty and am having pain issues that the surgeon has given me no advice on besides, "Everyone feels pain differently.  I feel you'll do ok, we just don't know the time frame.", but also when asked at what point should I worry the pain hasn't gone away, says, "2 months." 

My tear was near the posterior horn of the medial meniscus and the surgeon says he only took "about 15%", although there is no mention in the surgical notes of the size of the tear or the % removed.

I am hoping (well, actually I wouldn't wish this on anyone), that some members have experienced (or know about) similar pain and can tell me what they have discovered or experienced, what (if anything) helped, and what their current condition or outcome has been. 

I have intense burning, pulling, "caught" pain and extreme tenderness in the area I'll describe as the medial/posterior "edge" of my knee and leg.  The area extends down my calf about 4 inches from my knee bend, and extends up into my thigh about 4-6 inches.  The width varies from about 1" in the thigh to about 2" in the calf.  The burning feeling also extends to the medial side of the knee (an area about 3x4") and the lower edge of the kneecap.  The most intense burning, pulling, tender pain is along that medial/posterior "edge" area.  The tenderness is so extreme, just pressing with light to medium pressure, not very deeply at all, sends me through the roof.  The most intense tender area is about 1-2" below the knee bend area on the side/back edge.

I have the pain all the time, and it increases with any activity - even just a few steps.  Very disturbingly, when I just try to do quad sets, the pull and burn intensifies with each contraction - I've tried propping my leg/ankle up on something and doing the quad contraction, to eliminate the added pressure of pressing the tender area into the floor, but the contraction still elicits the pull and burn pain.

I feel it's nerve pain.  The surgeon does not agree that I have a nerve issue.  The physical therapist thinks it could be tendinitis, but also says, "anything's possible" and that they don't see a lot of nerve patients in their practice.

I have tried ice, heat, massage, stretching, meds, etc. and besides a little relief from the ice and a little relief from the meds, nothing alleviates the pain. 

I was hoping after getting the flap tear removed, that I would be able to crank on the rehab and be regularly active again, but this is killing me.

In the first few days after surgery I had a sensation of water dripping down my leg (which the surgeon said he'd never heard of), and from time to time, the area described has gone numb, with the feeling returning in a few hours.  I also still have my original sharp meniscus pain (argh!) and a raw feeling and sharp pains around the kneecap and incision areas. 

The pulling burning pain is what I am most concerned about (well, besides the fact that I still have the meniscus pain).

Thank you for anything you can share.  Please advise.  Thanks.

Hi cahiker,

It sounds like you are describing my symptoms exactly and I am currently considering a MACI procedure, but am worried about it being nerve pain and not just damage under my kneecap/within my knee. Have you had any luck in treating your pain since you post?
Left knee Mensicus repair 2005
Left knee ACL Reconstruction 2005
Right knee ACL reconstruction 2010
Right knee ACL reconstruction 2014
Left Knee Scope debridmt (for chronic pain) 2015
PRP Injections & Bone Marrow Stem cell injections to both knees - 2016
Left knee Chronic kneecap pain 2014 - present

Offline Hill Girl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
Sorry to hear of your pain. I've no experience of chondro surgery but do have of medial meniscus surgery last year and, more recently, anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. 

As you are seeing your surgeon I would hope they have ruled out the possibility of a post-op clot/DVT. Not wishing to alarm you but I have just been through this possibility as I developed severe pain, swelling, tenderness, tightness in my calf the day after my ACL op 18 days ago. It thankfully was not a clot but a haematoma (internal bleeding from the hamstring graft site and pooling of blood post-operatively). 

It is always best to be on the safe side if you have just had surgery - my GP requested this be checked out by the hospital and they did an ultrasound that same day to check there was no clot/DVT.  If I could not have been seen that day they were going to administer clot-busting drugs as a precaution.  Their attention to this and the subsequent clear result was very reassuring - though hasn't taken away the pain yet sadly!

Good luck with resolution of your issues.
Mar 2006 ACL rupture skiing.  Bone bruise.  No ACLR - lots of rehab got me back to the hills.

Feb 2016 Medial meniscus bucket handle tear left knee, c75% removed.

ACLR (hamstring autograph) 03/17

Patellofemoral/trochlear wear in the other knee