Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Complete ACL tear without any pain unless I bend my knee.  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Skimcohut

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Complete ACL tear without any pain unless I bend my knee.
« on: June 15, 2014, 05:46:47 AM »
Hello, I'm a 38 year old male and was just told the MRI confirmed I had completely torn acl plus a few other minor things I was told. I have a doc appt. on Monday I had just called for the results yesterday. The strangest thing to me is how I have 0 pain unless I bend my knee. I can walk with a little limp but there since it happened last week I haven't had my knee go out over 5 times. The swelling was bad the first day but it's almost at its original size now. I actually heard the pop when it happened and stopped playing baseball then drove home once again with no pain. It's making me think that I should just do physical Therapy and not have surgery. I play hardball baseball once a week and golf once or twice ....that's it. Nothing in the winter because I live up north. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Xfitnoknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Complete ACL tear without any pain unless I bend my knee.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 06:32:10 PM »
I have a very similar story.  3 weeks ago I tore my ACL during a CrossFit competition.  I finished competing the rest of the weekend on a torn ACL which included heavy squats, deadlifts and rowing.  I also had a badly sprained ankle. After the competition I got an MRI which confirmed a completely torn ACL. I had a bit of swelling and very minimal pain.  If it weren't for the MRI I would be doing all of the normal things I do and not worrying about my knee.  I'm VERY HESITANT to get surgery. Especially reading all of the stories about the hassle of rehabbing that knee and the area that the ligament is taken from.  I have surgery scheduled for September but I'm doing a ton of physical therapy (which includes ARP - look into that if you can). I just don't feel like the surgery is worth the long recovery and possibility of being worse of physically than just living with a torn ACL.  I would love other people's thoughts on this as well...

Offline abhishekc92

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Complete ACL tear without any pain unless I bend my knee.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 03:10:25 PM »
I am currently 7-8 months post op my acl recon and even though I am not 100% yet,I am really glad I got it done.Yes I am only 22, but the majority of ppl I have seen do end up having the op eventually after a few yrs of misery and usually doing more damage in the process.This situation is still out for debate, but my opinion is that physical therapy just gives short term relief, and it is not possible in the longer term to have leg muscles strong enough to compensate for the acl.
Oct 2013-torn ACL,sprained mcl and lcl left knee
Nov 2013-ACLr with patellar tendon autograft
June 2014-back to football:D
May 2016 - Hiked the himalayas, learnt surfing