Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: guidance needed for on-line brace purchase  (Read 1866 times)

Offline overmodulated

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
guidance needed for on-line brace purchase
« on: February 03, 2004, 05:48:03 AM »
Hi Folks:
Before I make an on-line purchase, probably for a donjoy brace for combined ACL/LCL instabilities, I could use your help with the following:

1. Does a slip-on (non wrap-around) version like the dj Playmaker imply no velcro straps to wear out?  I'm assuming that a slip-on brace will last longer for this reason.  true?

2. Are the sturdier metal frame braces comfortable enough for everyday wear, like to the office, under dress pants or jeans?

The only brace I've used to date is dj's "drytex economy hinged", wrap-around.  It doesn't offer quite enough stability for me, and I feel the velcro will be gone in a couple of months.  I don't have a brace shop nearby to see these things in person.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: guidance needed for on-line brace purchase
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 03:34:20 PM »
Stay away from the playmaker, it is meant for only the mildest instabilities.  
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 12:38:33 AM »
Check out the Breg Braces..they are pretty good, and the company always stands behind their products. I have PFJ problems but wear Breg PTO braces and they have been great. Breg has replaced them when they stretched out of shape or when there was a problem with the velcro wearing out.
Good luck in your shopping, wish I could be more helpful.
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline overmodulated

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 06:31:03 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation on the Breg line.

I'm surprised the negative comment was made about the Playmaker.  This is supposedly rated level III for stability.  What else, then, would you recommend Soccergirl?

Still hoping to know whether the metal braces are considered comfortable and inconspicuous enough for daily use at the office.  Any help is appreciated.

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 09:46:59 AM »
I bought a fairly expensive neoprene brace with metal supports for my completley torn ACL and torn LCL, and a bucket handle tear in the medial meniscus.  I believed at the time that it would help.  It felt good and I felt as if it gave me fairly good support.  
BUT..........Unfortunatley it gave me a false sense of security, I believed that it was supporting my knee, so I continued with my sports.  Because my knee was'nt properly protected, my knee could still easly twist or move sideways whilst wearing the brace.  At the end of the day, because I thought my knee was protected and I continued with my sports I ended up causing far more damage to my knee, I have since had 5 operations, I have OA and other problems in my knee.  Also whenever my knee locked when wearing the brace, it was extremely difficult to unlock.

I now use a Dnojoy Defiance which was prescribed by my OS.  I am very happy with it, It gives me great support when working on uneven ground and it if fairly low profile.

This is just my experience of the neoprene braces, Im sure many others are happy with them.
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 02:34:56 PM »
My main complaint with the playmaker is the design of the hinges, they don't stay in place on the brace so they are virtually useless.  You also need to remember that the rating was made by the company, not an OS.  

Depending on the fit and style of a metal brace they can be worn under clothes without too many problems.  I have a Townsend Premier brace I wear all the time and you can only really tell that I have it on when I bend my knee, which makes the hinges more prominent.  The townsend Premier has less prominant hinges than other braces.  I've also found that they have a much bettere feel to them than any of the Donjoy braces.

The Donjoy Defiance was mentioned, this is a good brace as long as you are not going to be involved in sports.  It is poorly designed for athletes and can often cause some problems with cramping.  It will also have more issues with fit since it relys on the calf to suspend it, so any change in muscle mass will result in a poor fit.

I would highly recommend any of the Townsend braces including their version of the Playmaker.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline overmodulated

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004, 03:34:44 AM »
Thanks again.  So where did you get your Townsend Premier?  Can't easily find online sources - any recommendations?

So doesn't anyone out there where a slip on as opposed to wrap around style?  Are the slip-on braces tough to pull over the knee if they fit snugly?

support