Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Torn Quadriceps tendon, Grade-2 ACL tear, and more.  (Read 734 times)

Offline Vazcular

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Torn Quadriceps tendon, Grade-2 ACL tear, and more.
« on: June 05, 2014, 03:46:30 AM »
Hello everyone. I just found this forum and glad I did. My injuries occurred while digging a trench to replace a pipe. The ground gave way and I landed on the pipe directly with the upper part of my right kneecap. There was too much noise to hear a pop, but I knew something was torn. I weighed a solid 245lb when the fall happened. The trench was just shallow enough to keep my hands & arms from bracing the fall. So my right knee got the full force of gravity. The injury occurred on March 7th, 2014. It wasn't until May 13th that the tendon repair/reattachment surgery was done. Insurance issues, orthopedic rescheduling, etc... Just a nightmare there. The initial MRI showed the following -

1) Grade I intrasubstance tear involving the body and posterior horn of the medial meniscus.

2) Grade I injury of medial collateral ligament.

3) Partial tear of anterior cruciate ligament.

4) Near total tear of the distal quadriceps tendon.

5) Bowed patellar ligament.

6) Moderate joint effusion, with a Baker's cyst.

7) Diffuse subcutaneous contusion / edema around the knee joint.

I'm 33 years old, 6' 1", decent shape for my weight, non-smoker. Only real concerns were pre-hypertension & low HDL. I'm now four weeks post surgery. My leg is still in a brace & locked. My next appointment is on the 18th of this month. I am in the USA, most relatives live in the UK. I have some general questions for you -

1) My job was construction & remodeling houses. Which requires plenty of heavy lifting, balance, awkward squatting positions, etc... How long am I likely to be out of such strenuous work? I was a private contractor so I don't qualify for workers compensation, unemployment, or even temporary food stamps. Am I going to be out long enough for SSDI?

2) While I got hurt I was just getting back into working out as I did when I was in my teens/twenties. Will I ever squat again or am I stuck with the leg press machine and my right leg always lacking?

3) Will it be likely for me to run even up to 90%

Thanks for any and all advice & support.

Sincerely,

Danny

Offline Vazcular

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Torn Quadriceps tendon, Grade-2 ACL tear, and more.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 12:45:58 AM »
Bump

Offline Vazcular

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Torn Quadriceps tendon, Grade-2 ACL tear, and more.
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 02:26:04 AM »
Bump