Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ConforMis PKR  (Read 6403 times)

Offline momkelly

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ConforMis PKR
« on: June 04, 2014, 10:45:00 PM »
Hello all/ anyone,

I just returned from my Ortho's office.  I went in expecting to schedule a meniscus repair...   left with a notebook for Knees.     Not even arguing about the need for PKR.   not only have I been walking bone on bone but I have been wearing away the  top of the tibia (sp)...  so the end of the femur is below the edge of the tibia bone.   :-\   ya might guess it is a bit painful...lol   not as painful as it looks actually. 

he wants to use a ConforMis PKR and I like the idea but am a little concerned with some of the reports. 
can anyone tell me if you have one and still happy with them?  or is it not a good plan?    I have plenty of time, not until fall or early next year.   

not sure my signature is automatic or not.   so just incase.

Catherine
THR (right)10-31-11
Meniscus 6/--/07
Bakers cyst 8/--/09

Offline Lilalu

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: ConforMis PKR
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 08:11:22 AM »
Hi Catherine,

I canīt tell you anything about Conformis, but I am in a similar situation. I did not have any knee pain and was completly shocked, when doctors told me, I would need a PFJR. At first I just did not belive anything. Unfortunatly I am in pain now!

I did a lot of research in the internet and most information I got, was not very positive (early failure and so on).

What I also learned is: Donīt trust the internet! Orthopedics is a market and a lot of money is involved. There are aggressive strategies to control this market (new companies want to have their share of it and the established ones donīt want to loose the terrain). The information you get, usually is subjective and does not help much.

I would recommend to see several experts and also some in bigger hospitals, which offer several different procedures or work with different PKR systems. They choose the one, which is best for the individual patient and not just sell, what they have to offer for everybody. And/or also ask a doctor, who does not do the operation himself and therefore gives you a more objective view. In the end you will have a lot of different information. Take your time then and make your own decision - the one YOU feel most comfortable with.

All the best!

Lila

Offline momkelly

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 05:26:16 PM »
Thanks.   I appreciate your comments.    I picked my surgeon ( he did my hip)  and I like and trust  him.  Initially I picked him because he is the only one who specializes in abnormal joints so to speak.   I do think it is a good idea to talk to a few experts to see if the conformis is the best.    I believe my ortho feels it is best for me because of 1) sizing, 2) it is custom for my anatomy.     

Offline Lilalu

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 06:32:45 PM »
Hi Kelly,

I think, if you trust your surgeon, thatīs a good thing! Ask others also, just to be sure.

I guess, it is a very individual decision, which implant is best for the individual patient. If someone experiences problems with an implant, it may not have been the right choice for this patient (because of other factors such as individual anatomie, weight, activities and so on), but maybe for another one it is!

Just want to say, donīt listen to the bad rumors, but to your feelings and the advice of the surgeon(s) you trust!

All the best!

Offline momkelly

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 06:58:55 PM »
@Lilalu

Thanks so much for the boost of confidance.    Going to call soon to set the date!   

support