Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella Maltracking Issues for the last 5-6 years. Please help  (Read 4373 times)

Offline TheGator22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Patella Maltracking Issues for the last 5-6 years. Please help
« on: September 03, 2014, 08:26:55 AM »
Hey guys,

Ive had problems with Patella Maltracking for the last 5-6 years now and it has become debilitating. It started on my right knee when i was 15-16 years old. I played sport on the leg even when it got sore for months and ended up trying with conservative treatment with the physio  which was to try and strengthen the VMO, glutes, hamstrings and stretch the IT band ( common sense bull crap ) After months of trying this conservative treatment my surgeon decided to try a lateral release on my right knee. He waited for a year to do this as I was in my final year of school and needed to study.

So i  had the lateral release in the end. At first it felt like it was okay but it ended up not working at all. I had stinging and irritation in the area and my patella still sublaxes and had a fair degree  of tilt. After another another 2 year long wait, he ended up performing a Distal Patella Realignment and Scar Tissue Revision.

So here I am now 8 and half months post op. my rehab consists of one legged squats ( focusing on glute ), foam rolling the it band and TFL ( the muscle near the hip  flexor ), wall  sits ( so squats leaning on a wall ), calf raises, one legged bridges and hip hitches. Sure these exercises are helping stretch and importantly strengthen the vmo, quads and glutes but there is some worries that are concerning me. Firstly, and the worry that is bothering me the most is the lateral side of the patella.

That area does my head in to the point where i have became extremely anxious, nervous and depressed. When the lateral release was performed i believe he took  the tissue away in the lateral release. That area is still  really really sensitive even after the scar tissue revision. When i lightly wiggle my knuckle around the area it has a stinging and burning sensation and there seems to be little bony type fragments that can easily cause me pain when it comes into contact . I have heard there is graft reconstructions and lateral reticulnum repair. It seems like there is not enough protection there and I want there to be as much protection as there is to my non operating left knee. Has anyone got any suggestions or have been through this expereicne ? It is doing my head in and i cant cope with it anymore. So how would add that protection that the tissue provided before this stupid lateral release was performed.
Secondly with my screws they are extremely senstive and I am getting them out in 15 days. will this help or just cause issues ?

If someone could help me it would be much appreciated because I am struggling so badly contemplating that ill never play sport again and get back to a normal physical/mental state. A reply would be greatly appreciated

Regards,
Sam

support