Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: medial knee cysts advice needed  (Read 776 times)

Offline ALLAN68

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
medial knee cysts advice needed
« on: May 27, 2014, 04:10:23 AM »
Hi folks , last year I had intense pain on the inside of my left knee whilst playing sports. after a few months I went to my GP who in turn referred me to the Hospital for an x ray and subsequent MRI. After several months ( almost 6 months from GP to scan), I visited a consultant who stated that I had a small cyst on the inside of my knee, but it was not showing any meniscus tear, therefore he advised no procedures at that time. After another few months the pain has not subsided and it can be diffiuclt sleeping at night. What should I do now as the NHS don't seem too interested !! 

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 441
  • Neelie knee!
Re: medial knee cysts advice needed
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:06:47 AM »
I have one of these and a couple of meniscus tears.  I am having physio.  Ask your gp to refer you, or better, pay to see someone privately to get some treatment and an exercise plan.  Otherwise, you could ask for a second opinion or pay to see a surgeon privately.  However, they are ultimately surgeons, so if they do not believe surgery is needed,  you may end up getting the same answer

You could also ask for the MRI pictures to be reviewed to see if anything was missed.  False positives And negatives are quite common with meniscus tears, sudden pain on twisting can be a sign of  a tear.  Do you have swelling, pain on bending, straightening, bucking, etc?

Pain at night is often a symptom of arthritis, how old are you?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline ALLAN68

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 01:33:36 PM »
Hi thanks for your reply and advice.I'm 45 and have always played sports from football to golf. The main pain is turning slightly on the knee, it is also uncomfortable at night and swells from time to time. I know that it is not as serious as some unfortunate people, however  I feel as though I was totally dismissed by the NHS, and must admit it has seriously curtailed my activities.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 441
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 01:51:39 PM »
Perhaps see someone else. Not all surgeons are the same, nhs or not. But the nhs does have finite resource. Where are you based? You could get a private consult and transfer to nhs list if that surgeon feels surgery is warranted. Surgery is Not a risk free panacea nor guaranteed however :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone