Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee "dislocation" recovery tactics?  (Read 872 times)

Offline deadknees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee "dislocation" recovery tactics?
« on: May 25, 2014, 09:58:49 PM »
Hi folks

Not sure where this goes as my story is a bit of a complex one so if I have posted it in the wrong section then I apologise!

Brief outline of events leading to my current situation:
2003 - Involved in a snowboarding accident that sees significant impact to the knee, going through the skin down to the bone.
2004 - Involved in a second snowboarding accident that results in a torn ACL, cartiledge damage and damage to other ligaments (although I still don't know the full extent of the damage)
2006 - Have surgery to correct my torn ACL using a hamstring graft
2010 - Full re-rupture of the ACL. Consultant performs menoscopy, tells me no further surgery will be done and I have to live with it. Informed that the problem is hyperextension and further surgery will fail regardless
2013 - Things are fine for 3 years, painful on cold days and occasional niggles. Some occasional issues where the joint destabilizes so I have to take it easy. Cycling regularly, roughly 100 miles a week on a weekly basis.

In September 2013 I went back into hospital for an unrelated operation which stopped me from cycling for 3 months and then we went into winter and I manage two short bike rides in 6 months.

I keep putting weight on and not exercising as much apart from plenty of walking, no cycling. I switch jobs and have two destabilizations of the knee within a week of each other. Not full ones but enough to make me know about it! This was back in April.

Since then I have been in pain pretty much every day (along the underside of the knee and up one side), the joint feels unstable at times and stiff. I start cycling again, only short distances of 6 miles but for days afterwards the pain is quite significant and the joint feels unstable still. Cycling becomes something that I can't do as I have a job where I am on my feet for up to 9 hours a day. 

I'm thinking that the knee has become unstable due to the drop in exercise but as I can only walk and cycle I don't know what else to do!

I don't want to bother the doctor with it as I know the response will be physio, scans and another appointment with a consultant to be told "no surgery, man up".

I guess the main question is what can I do activity wise to help alleviate some of these problems? Has anyone else been in the same situation?

*I really do apologise for what seems to be War and Peace up there ^

Offline rob2278

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
    • My MFPL journey
Re: Knee "dislocation" recovery tactics?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 07:01:53 PM »
Buy a good stability brace.

Build up your hips and quads. (the VMO alone doesn't cut it)

Stretch. Tight leg muscles are killers for patella instability.

Knee History:

01/1990 - R Knee - removal of bone chips
05/1990 - L Knee - dislocation
Fall 1991- L Knee - 2 dislocations
12/1991 - L Knee - LR/MR
1992-2013 L Knee subluxations
04/2008 - R knee reconstruction (torn patellar/quad tendons)
04/2013 - L knee - dislocation
01/31/2014 -MFPL reconstruction