Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Been put in a knee Immobilizer...  (Read 679 times)

Offline HappenedAgain

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Been put in a knee Immobilizer...
« on: May 22, 2014, 05:02:31 PM »
I have hypermobility and have dislocated my knees numerous times. My latest was just under a month ago and since attending AE for it I have been put in a knee immobilizer. The soonest I can see a consultant who is able to deal with my injury is not for another 2 months. So by that time I will have had my leg in a straight immobilizer for 3 months. My muscle has already deteriorated a significant amount. I have been given crutches but that's it. I haven't been told any exercises I can do, just that I'm not to take the immobilizer off.

So, the reason I am here. Has anyone else had there knee immobilized for this amount of time or longer without having seen a consultant to say exactly whats going on?

Also of anything I can do to help the quad muscles?

Any advice welcome.

Offline geococcyx

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Been put in a knee Immobilizer...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 10:19:57 PM »
I immobilized myself for about 6 months after a subluxation and it didn't go very well. I'm not sure exactly when it went from where I didn't dare to bend my knee to where I couldn't but I suspect it was less than 3 months. Anyway after 6 months the leg was as stiff as a board. I'm not saying that will happen to everyone, probably not, but 3 months still seems awfully long. Can't you at least see a GP, physio or something and ask about it?
How about the other dislocations you had, were you in an immobilizer then too?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 10:46:50 PM by geococcyx »