Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Anyone been treated at Warwick/Rugby?  (Read 849 times)

Offline MrsMc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Anyone been treated at Warwick/Rugby?
« on: May 22, 2014, 02:15:10 PM »
Hiya,

I'm due to have a trochleoplasty carried out later in the year by Mr Thompson.  Anyone had any experience of him?  He seems great but would love a reference or two!

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 11:20:55 PM by MrsMc »
Right knee dislocation October 2012.  Slipped in the kitchen 4 days after the birth of my second child.
Arthroscopy Lateral release July 2013
Arthroscopy feb 2014
Due to have trochleoplasty October 2014

Offline Summer007

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Anyone been treated by Mr Thompson at Warwick/Rugby?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 04:00:32 PM »
Hi,

Unfortunately I'm not able to offer an insight on Mr Thompson but I've commented because I'm also very interested in seeing if anyone has had good experiences.

If you wouldn't mind me asking a few questions then it would be really helpful. I've been told I need a trochleoplasty by my current surgeon, although he isn't qualified to carry one out. Do you have a shallow groove or is it totally flat? Also, have you been waiting for long on his waiting list?

Good luck when you have your surgery! Theres quite a few helpful post-op dairies on the wall that might be worth a read, if you haven't already.

Summer :)
October 2011-L LR
August 2012-L MPFL Recon
July 2013-L TTO & MPFL revision
March 2014-L Arthroscopy surgery

Offline MrsMc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Anyone been treated by Mr Thompson at Warwick/Rugby?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 10:39:12 PM »
Thank you both for your replies.

I have had a look at some of the post op diaries and they're very helpful.

Summer, in my personal opinion, if your surgeon hasn't carried out this procedure before I would be reluctant to let him do it to you.  The only reason why I am going ahead with the surgery is because I know mr Thompson as carried it out several times before and has quite a high success rate.  The risks are the usual infection/blot clot etc but there is also a risk of more pain in the future.  It's one I will have to take but only because I have been told very good things about him and in meeting him he seems very knowledgeable.  It is, however, still a fairly rare procedure and not one to be taken lightly as he told me himself.  The recovery is intense, taking a year + to fully get over it and have lots of physiotherapy.

In short, I would do a bit of research if I were you.  Where are you based? I have done a little bit of my own research into London surgeons if you need help.
Right knee dislocation October 2012.  Slipped in the kitchen 4 days after the birth of my second child.
Arthroscopy Lateral release July 2013
Arthroscopy feb 2014
Due to have trochleoplasty October 2014

support