Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Trocleoplasty and my care so far.......  (Read 956 times)

Offline MrsMc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Trocleoplasty and my care so far.......
« on: May 22, 2014, 12:19:50 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board so forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place.

18 months ago, four days after giving birth to my second child, I slipped in the kitchen and dislocated my right knee.  I was taken to hospital by ambulance where they straightened it, gave me a cricket brace and told me to be on my way. I was given little by way of aftercare advise and I was dosed up on morphing but they sent me home anyway.  I saw a consultant two weeks later who sent me for endless rounds or physio, despite me continually telling them it was doing little good (apart from getting my leg to actually bend again which took many weeks).  I finally got to see a new consultant who sent me for a lateral release last July.  More physio was to follow but it has never been right.  Swollen/misshapen etc. It's not massively painful just feels 'heavy' quite a lot of the time and gives way frequently, although I have managed to save myself from falling again so far.  I got to see yet another consultant a couple of months ago and he sent me for a CT scan (I had only had X-rays and 1 MRI up it that point) as he said just by looking at my knee that my patella wasn't tracking properly.  Yesterday, he did an arthroscopy to cut away a bit of bone which had grown and to scrape the back of the knee cap.  I had a quick, drug induced chat with him when I came around and he said that he will be referring me to Warwick for a potential trochleoplasty.  Naturally, I have been doing a little bit of online research and I have mixed feelings at the moment. 

So, I have some questions that hopefully someone might be able to help me with.  Does my treatment sound shoddy so far? I have been passed around at least 6 consultants/registrars and various physiotherapists, most of whom has dismissed me out of hand apart from the most recent one who is taking me very seriously as my knee caps are very shallow.

Also, I would love to hear of anyone else's experience of the trochleoplasty? Did you have positive experiences/outcomes?  What is the recovery time and will I be able to weight bear? I have two children under 4 and a husband who travels a lot for work so the recovery of any op really worries me but if it has to be done, it has to be done.  My aim is to eventually be able to run in the mums race on sports day, never mind anything marathon like! At the moment I walk with a slight limp and have to walk most stairs one at a time so sports day feels like a good aim :-)

I would be really grateful for any replies.

I am in the U.K. btw!

Many thanks
Right knee dislocation October 2012.  Slipped in the kitchen 4 days after the birth of my second child.
Arthroscopy Lateral release July 2013
Arthroscopy feb 2014
Due to have trochleoplasty October 2014

Offline kchan808

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
Re: Trocleoplasty and my care so far.......
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 10:13:21 AM »
If your going to do trochleoplasty I would look into dr Lars blond in Denmark he invented the arthiscopic way and ur recovery time would be faster cause you wouldn't have all that scar tissue. I have been emailing him and read other peoples experience he sounds like a great doctor.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 444
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 10:30:02 AM »
There's a UK trochleoplasty diary here http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=61220.0;wap2  Done in Wales I think (she does post the surgeon's name somewhere here)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline MrsMc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 10:44:20 PM »
Many thanks for your replies.

I have have read many of dr lars articles with great interest over the past few weeks but I'm not sure he would be able to physically operate on me as I am london based.

The post op diaries are some comfort to me though and give me some indication if what recovery is going to be like.  Long and painful by the sounds of things!
Right knee dislocation October 2012.  Slipped in the kitchen 4 days after the birth of my second child.
Arthroscopy Lateral release July 2013
Arthroscopy feb 2014
Due to have trochleoplasty October 2014

support