Banner - Hide this banner





Author Topic: Would anyone still go?  (Read 1593 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline sdfuk

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Liked: 0
Would anyone still go?
« on: May 19, 2014, 07:36:08 PM »
Hi all

Two weeks ago I tore my MCL (grade 1) and also confirmed via MRI today I have a complex tear of the anterior third/body of the medial meniscus. The Dr. has recommended surgery. I have full leg extension and about 95% flexion. I couldn't walk for the first 3 days but now I can.

However, the family and I are about to go on a really long holiday in a weeks time (both got time off work) for 3 months. Nothing too strenuous, just visiting cities and beaches. We won't be doing much walking as we have young children.

So, who would get surgery straight away and who would wait until after the holiday?

Cheers
S

Offline vickster

  • Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5053
  • Liked: 441
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Would anyone still go?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 07:47:09 PM »
I would certainly wait.  You won't be recovered from a menisectomy in a week.  The small arthroscopies don't reflect the trauma that your knee will go through = you'll likely need a few months to fully recover.   There is a risk that not getting it done will exacerbate the tear but I believe having the surgery will likely ruin your trip.  My surgeon had me on crutches for a few weeks and off work for 3 weeks after my lateral menisectomy and the knee was certainly sore for many more

Talk to your doctor about a good support for the ligament and meniscus, pain relief and managing the knee. I assume you have discussed this with him already

Make sure you have comprehensive travel insurance that will cover your pre-existing knee condition

Have a great trip  8)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 07:51:03 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline sdfuk

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Liked: 0
Re: Would anyone still go?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 08:02:23 PM »
Hi Thanks

That's the way I see it at the moment. I had an arthroscopy on my left knee 20 years ago and was on crutches for 1 month as they had to do a larger cut than normal.

The Dr. I saw today said that I'd be able to walk after the surgery!!! but it would be 3 weeks from surgery until I could fly due to DVT risks. That's also the best case scenario. My friend used the same Dr and was walking 4 days after so maybe add on a week to estimate.

The wife has just found out that our medical insurance covers us for emergency operations in the countries that we are travelling to so I guess we'll go ahead and I'll just take it steady so as to minimise further damage. My report did say no loose or bucket handle fragment so that's a relief.

Cheers
S





Offline vickster

  • Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5053
  • Liked: 441
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Would anyone still go?
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 08:15:22 PM »
I would certainly speak to the doctor about a support/brace for walking.  I had two holidays while trying to avoid surgery.  If the tear isn't displaced and you have full ROM and no instability, you should be ok.  Check that the policy covers pre-existing conditions and not just injuries that happen while away :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline Rothera

  • Regular Poster
  • ***
  • Posts: 71
  • Liked: 3
Re: Would anyone still go?
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 10:30:57 PM »
Have you had the surgery yet? My question is because I had a full rupture of MCL plus significant tear of  medial meniscus ( oh and full rupture of ACL!). It wasn't repaired immediately because I needed a bone graft to support the grafts so I effectively ambled along quite happily for 6 months after that with no ACL or MCL and a meniscus tear. However I wore a brace everyday to ensure stability. So, if you haven't had surgery, I suspect you could get away with the holiday IF you wear an amazing brace all the time. It wasn't that bad! Good luck with whatever you choose.
2011 big knee blow out! ACL rupture, lat meniscus rupture, MCL rupture 3rd degree. ACLr June plus meniscus repair. All Failed Sept 2011. Attempted ACLr and MCL Oct. bone cavitation = bone grafting. March 2012ACLr plus MCL graft with allograft. June LOAR. Clot. Wash out.
March 2013 skiing

Offline vickster

  • Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5053
  • Liked: 441
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Would anyone still go?
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 10:43:26 PM »
He says it's a grade 1 MCL tear (the most mild?) and a complex anterior tear of the meniscus.  I spoke with one OS about my lateral anterior tear, he said anterior tears are often not too problematic and may need nothing - they are the common type that can just happen to  degenerate meniscus as we get older (I'm 41)

Personally, if able to function ok, for me it's best to leave meniscus tears especially if a menisectomy is inevitable due to age or complexity.  I left mine for 5 months last time and only had surgery once it started to buckle (the knee was always locked and swollen in this time).  I used a neoprene sleeve on the advice of the physio but not sure it made a lot of difference (just got hot!)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline sdfuk

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Liked: 0
Re: Would anyone still go?
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 10:51:14 AM »
Hi all

I've told the doc to book me in for an arthroscopy in September that way I'll have 3 months to assess whether or not it's going to resolve itself. If it's still giving me problems then i'll go ahead with surgery. Ordered a neo G Leg brace and also received a couple of Comfeel knee supports which are already making it more comfortable to walk.

Can't wait to sit by the pool and order the wife to get me a drink....normally its the other way round!

Good luck to everyone with their knee problems.

Cheers
S