Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Worsening Crepitus Old Non Displaced Fracture  (Read 894 times)

Offline rgall85

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Worsening Crepitus Old Non Displaced Fracture
« on: May 16, 2014, 11:06:11 AM »
Hi Guys,

First time post. Im hoping someone can give me advice or has had a previous injury with similar story

So 2 years ago I fractured my left knee due to a blow from a hockey stick. It was treated non operatively. Went through physio but still had pain. It was decided almost 12 months ago to have an arthroscopy and to remove the piece of my patella which did not heal straight. Surgeon found some rough cartilage in there which he smoothed but no other issues. Again went through rehab. I tried to run on my knee 6 months later but it began to click and grind. Rest was prescribed as well as quad strengthening. I recently started to be a bit more adventurous and start jogging/playing 5 a side football. My crepitus is increasing and also some clicking. Have had an mri 2 months ago and all is apparently well. I have also taken the mri films to another surgeon who agreed everything looks ok.

But I definatly feel like the crepitus is getting louder and more gritty. My quad strength is good and i stretch daily but fear im just doing more damage. When lying on my back extending my leg it sounds so gravelly and clicky. When sitting down and extending my leg it gives multiple clicks and crackles. Surely this damage would be seen on an mri?

I used to play sports almost daily pre injury and now feel i will never get better only worse.

Any suggestions or advise is greatly appreciated,
Ronan

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 11:08:53 AM by rgall85 »

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 441
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Worsening Crepitus Old Non Displaced Fracture
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 12:08:21 PM »
Is there pain with the crepitus? Joints do pop and crackle from time to time, even if they are perfectly fine.  When that comes with pain and / or swelling is the time to investigate

You may find a visco injection helps if you have mild to moderate arthritis in the knee
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline rgall85

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 03:29:02 PM »
Hi thanks for the reply.
No real pain with the crepitus but the joint dosnt run smooth at all ie.
When I move my leg through its ROM starting from knee bent (foot on the ground me sitting down)I have a click/crack  half way through then another click/crack 3/4 of the way through and loud crepitus at almost lock out and the same as i bend it back to the floor again.
It feels like its rubbing and clicking at the exact same point everytime I bend my leg which I feel must be causing wear.

Have had slight swelling above knee joint for a few months which comes and goes but never in the joint itself. (Iv had 3 mris) Physio reckons its maybe an inflamed bursa.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 441
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 04:06:25 PM »
Can you try a steroid or PRP jab to settle the inflammation down (although if in the UK, you'll have to pay for the latter/use private healthcare as NHS doesn't generally cover)

I'd give the impact sport and running a miss until its resolved and ice as much as possible
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

support