Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Emma's MPFL Reconstruction & Lateral Release surgery  (Read 23790 times)

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
Re: Emma's MPFL Reconstruction & Lateral Release surgery
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2014, 01:46:18 PM »
I got some news on Friday that I'd been offered a cancellation and will be getting my second surgery on Wednesday (10th september)

Feeling pretty apprehensive at the moment as it's so soon and I thought I still had about 10 weeks to wait! I do think it's better to get it over with sooner rather than later though, It's just a bit tough as I now know what's in store in the coming weeks! At least I know this time how hard I can push myself as I feel I was overcautious the first time as it was all very new to me.

I'm hoping that it'll also push my right knee which was operated on the first time a bit harder.

Hopefully i'll have better pain management this time too and be offered the nerve block. I really can't wait for it all to be over!

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2014, 06:54:38 PM »
That's great news Emma well at least you know what to expect now so 2nd time should feel a lot easier for you keep us posted you see I told you the cancellation list would work lol

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2014, 12:16:23 PM »
So I'm home now after round two of mpfl reconstruction and tto on my left knee this time! I was kept in hospital overnight as I was in quite a bit of pain and also as I was sick. (I've never been sick before with anaestic but I guess there's a first time for everything!

Got home this morning and have been resting and icing my knee. Getting used to the familiar struggle from the chair to the bathroom! Haha.

So far I'd say I'm definitely sorer than I was with my right knee but much better prepared to deal with it this time as I've been through it all before!

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2014, 08:16:47 PM »
hey emma glad to hear your surgery went well like you say at least you know what to expect now =) chair and bathroom are classics you never know how low things actually are untill you have had mpfl reconstruction and you cant reach ti because its too low lol hope your ok keep us posted =)

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2014, 08:21:44 AM »
Hi lucha!

Haha I know! I think I must have blocked out the pain from the last time cause I feel it's been much worse this time. I am dealing with it much better but I definitely haven't missed putting the tubogrip bandage on each morning! Even with someone helping me it's still a struggle.

This is only my 2nd day post op so things are still bad pain wise but I've been trying to get up off the couch every hour and a half to two hours even if it is very painful which is helping my knee to not stiffen up. I think I'll leave it another couple of days before I try and bend it!

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2014, 10:20:18 PM »
hey emma
i suppose every knee is different depending on damage, nerves etc, so that could be why you feel more pain this time one thing we both know movement is key to success...... the thing that annoyed me most were the socks i had to wear so tight lol i think the first week dignity or independence goes out the window lol and its frustrating but you know that it will get easier emma .....

but remember with time determination and patience you know it gets a lot easier post 6-8 weeks =)
keep us posted emma
 =)

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2014, 09:59:20 AM »
Hi lucha

Yeah my left knee (most recent surgery) was the worst of the two and there was some slight damage under my kneecap. Apparently it's nothing to worry about and shouldn't affect me in later life but it might be why it's a bit more painful than last time.

What's really interesting is I was determined not to let it get the better of me this time and I've been dealing with the pain much better, I think it's because I know how hard I can push it this time.

I've is definitely my best friend and apart from the pain I'm just feeling pretty tired. If I'm feeling braver later I might have a go at bending my knee!

Offline rob2278

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
    • My MFPL journey
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2014, 03:39:23 AM »
Congrats on getting that 2nd surgery out of the way... You're a week out today, so the hardest part is over!

Good luck with this recovery.. It won't be easy, but as you said, it should be easIER due to having already been through it. It's amazing how your perspective can change when you know what to expect and what is normal and not..

I keep thinking (maybe wishfully) that my surgery is the end all for my life long patella instability problems. For now, I will be optimistic and say that it is... and in a few months, once you're up and running on both of your new knees, you'll be able to say the same!
Knee History:

01/1990 - R Knee - removal of bone chips
05/1990 - L Knee - dislocation
Fall 1991- L Knee - 2 dislocations
12/1991 - L Knee - LR/MR
1992-2013 L Knee subluxations
04/2008 - R knee reconstruction (torn patellar/quad tendons)
04/2013 - L knee - dislocation
01/31/2014 -MFPL reconstruction

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2014, 03:36:02 PM »
Thanks rob.

Today I had a visit from the nurse who trimmed the end of my stitches and just checked everything looked the way it should.

Apart from that I've been doing okay, I ended up with a cold last week and my pain medication was making me sick so I had a few bad days.
 However I've been bending my knee which is good as I didn't even try that with my last surgery until my first physio appointment.

I've also been trying a few gentle physio exercises. I was given a brace again this time but I stopped using it a couple of days ago as it's a straight leg brace which I feel after the first week hinders rather than helps (I checked with physio to ensure this was okay)

I have my first physio appointment on Wednesday so really looking forward to that so I can start to try and get things moving!

Still really sore but nothing I can't live with. I'll update again after my physio appointment.

Emma

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2014, 09:09:38 AM »
I had my first physio appointment yesterday since surgery on my left knee. I know it sounds odd but I was so excited to go! I hadn't been out the house since the surgery (two weeks ago yesterday) so I was looking forward to seeing how I cope.

When I attended physio before I had a really great physiotherapist. However, she has been moved to another department and I had a new guy yesterday. My old physio is mentoring him though which is a big relief! Yesterday was just form filling and having a look at my knee. So far it's not too swollen but I have a swollen bump on my leg right beside my TTO scar which is said is totally normal (I sorta knew that but wanted to check!)

at home Id been trying to keep my quad active by tensing my quad muscle and pushing the back of my knee into the bed/chair to keep the muscle active. I think it's really helped - I was actually too scared to do that the last time!
I've also been starting to bend my leg and I've got my ROM to 40 degrees already!! Which is pretty exciting for me haha! He seemed really happy with my progress and just sent me away and told me to continue what I was doing for another week.

Last night my knee was really painful, it was more the shin area where the TTO scar is. I think it's because I was up on my feet a lot yesterday and did much more walking than I had been. So I just took it easy with lots of ice.

I'd say not only is this surgery worse pain wise than my right leg but I am about a million times more frustrated that everything takes so long (Id forgotten that feeling!) I need to try and be more patient!

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2014, 12:43:11 PM »
Oh the joys of frustration.. lol .
Keep going you will be fine Emma we both know how frustrating mpfl surgery I remember a few times saying to my surgeon and all he acid was your a monster your a wrestler you will get through it I looked like wth?? Lol is but you know things can only get better chin up patience will come in time Emma :)

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2014, 06:50:08 PM »
I haven't updated in a while but I'm doing okay!

I've been attending physio every week and my ROM is at 90 degrees and my surgery was 4 and a half weeks ago so I'm pretty happy with that. My left leg was my stronger leg before this surgery anyway so I can feel a massive difference in the strength of my quad compared to the last time.

Still using two crutches but I've been using one around the house (even walking small distances without any crutches) just to see how I feel. It's basically training yourself how to walk properly again and I know from the other knee I really stuggled with this before.

So far I've been managing to stay positive and I haven't hit a "I'm really sick of this" funk like I did the last time. It is definitely easier to look ahead with more positivity tbis time as I've been through it all before with my other knee!

I have physio on Thursday so will update again after that, hopefully with an improvement on my ROM.

Emma

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2014, 08:37:58 PM »
So it's been almost a month since my last update.

I have been walking without crutches for a few weeks now and my walking is actually surprisingly good! My physio and friends and family are all telling me that you'd never know I'd had major knee surgery on both knees which isn't bad for 8 weeks post op on my left knee.

My ROM is great and I have been back at work part time for the last week and a half. I'm so tired by the end of the night and my knee is really sore but that's only to be expected as i'm being forced to use it much more than I was when I was working from home. I also notice a slight clicking sensation at night time when i'm walking (after being on my feet all day) I searched for this online and found a couple of people saying they'd been advised this was due to the lack of strength in the muscles around the knee. This would make sense as it only happens in the evenings. I'm going to mention it to my physio on friday to see what he says.

I'm still not driving yet but hoping to give that a try in the next week or so. Things are slowly but surely improving. I'm so glad I managed to get the cancellation for my surgery as it was around this time I'd have been getting the date, at least it's all over now!

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2014, 10:03:43 PM »
hey emma glad to hear your getting on ok yea they are correct i had the clicking due to lack of strength in quadricep as well, its very normal its good to see your off your crutches keep us updated you will be driving soon =))

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2014, 08:20:57 PM »
Hi Lucha! Thanks for your reply. It's a relief to hear you had the clicking too! I was beginning to think something was wrong. Hope you're getting on okay too?

support