Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Emma's MPFL Reconstruction & Lateral Release surgery  (Read 23789 times)

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
Re: Emma's MPFL Reconstruction & Lateral Release surgery
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 11:10:30 AM »
I think I've been really lucky as the physiotherapist I'm working with has recently attended a seminar on this surgery and she has also worked with my surgeon on a number of occasions.

She told me at the seminar they said that as far as recovery goes there are no restrictions - ie you can start bending and movement right away. My physio was shocked that when I came to see her 2 weeks after surgery I had a straight leg brace on which allowed no bend at all?

It's difficult when in hospital as you see so many different nurses and the "general" physio who recommended the brace. I think if you were just assigned one physio you would be better off and there wouldn't be these mixed messages.

Regardless I feel I'm making progress now (albeit slow) and I'm trying to stay positive.

I've been working hard on trying to walk normally and it's really difficult to bend my knee whilst walking. It's my next challenge!

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 12:00:03 PM »
Keep going Emma you can do it........ As we all know with this surgery you can have ups and downs it's pure determination to see it through just remember how far you have come and you will notice your knee it time will just wake up and say yes I can do this.......
I spoke with my physio and she told me two things she said don't think about moving your knee just clear your mind and use a distraction to do I te.g music as she has been doing dome research with a fellow surgeon and they have found with ligament surgery we do more when we don't think about it and less when we think about it :))) keep it up

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 05:55:53 PM »
I got a phonecall this afternoon from my surgeons secretary asking me if I would be willing to come into the hospital for a teaching session/seminar with my surgeon and another surgeon who used to be his mentor.

He asked me as I've been having frequent dislocations for years, I've to get the surgery on both legs and I've just recently had the surgery.

She also told me there will be another girl in attendance who is scheduled for the surgery in a couple of weeks. So they can show a comparison. I should also have a chance to ask any questions I may have etc.

This takes place on Friday so I'll update after then. I've also got another physio session on Thursday so will update with the results of that too.

Thanks

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 07:47:21 PM »
I haven't updated in 8 days. In that time I've had two physio appointments.

My first appointment I was told that my ROM was 135 degrees and that I was doing great and was now to concentrate on other exercises as I can now bend my knee almost normally.
I was to concentrate more on walking normally and I also have to use my exercise bike (and I got to try out the cross trainer at my appointment to which was awkward at first but then i found my surgery knee coped better than my knee that is still to have surgery!)

So I was sent away with one crutch and told to practice without it.

Today I returned to physio and i now have NO crutches! This is great but my walking still isn't great. I feel really wobbly but it's a definite improvement.
The last couple of days I've had a red sore lump on one of my scars (the one across my kneecap in the middle of my knee) at first I thought it was a insect bite but it's gotten a bit bigger and the redness has spread. It started on sunday so I mentioned it to my physiotherapist today.
She said she thought it looked like it could be infected and to make an appointment with my doctor as soon as possible.
So I managed to get an appointment this afternoon and they agreed that it's an infection so I've been given antibiotics to clear it. It's been extremely sore when im sitting down (so essentially just bending my knee) and when I'm in bed as the sheets touching it is really painful. The doctor said it might be a dissolving stitch that's had a knot in it so therefore hasn't dissolved. I've to let them know if it hasn't completely cleared by Monday.
Hopefully everything will be okay as I feel I'm making good progress otherwise and this pain is really annoying at this stage!

I also still can't drive for another two weeks so i'm still staying with my parents. Can't wait to get back to normal!

Emma

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 10:54:47 PM »
A lot has happened since my last update a couple of weeks ago.

The antibiotics cleared up the small infection I had in one of the incisions on my knee (the one just over the top of the kneecap) it's left the scar feeling slightly bumpy tho which is frustrating as all my scars were looking amazing and really flat. No one really knows what caused the infection but most likely to be the end of a stitch that never fully dissolved.

However, on a much more positive note I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel! And realise that the surgery was really worth it. My surgery knee (right knee) is now tracking properly and not to the side as it was before and as my left is (I still need to go through this all over again with my left knee (mpfl reconstruction required there too - at least I'll have matching scars). I'm also walking much, much better than before! Only limping ever so slightly.

I can also drive for short distances which is an amazing feeling! I can also do a straight leg raise which I wasn't able to do before. Stairs are still a little scary (especially coming down the stairs) but I am getting better every day.

My ROM is exactly the same as my other leg now which is amazing but I'm still very aware there is Aussie difference in strength. It's actually visible as you can see my quad is smaller on the right leg.
Sometimes when walking my right knee feels as though it's not strong enough to keep up, almost a slight giving way sensation? But not too extreme and it doesn't happen that often thankfully. I'm sure this is just due to lack of muscle strength.

I have physio tomorrow so will update again after that!

Emma

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 11:16:36 AM »
I haven't been on here in a while. As things have been getting better I haven't really been keeping up to date with the diaries on here.

I had my 3 month follow up yesterday at the hospital with my surgeon (it's actually almost 4 months as my appointment was pushed back).

Everything went great and he is really impressed with my progress. He wants me to continue with physio and going to the gym as my right leg still isn't just as strong as my left and he feels this will really benefit me.

I can feel a huge difference now. As previously mentioned I need to have the procedure done all over again on my left knee and yesterday I was booked in for that. There is currently a 9 week waiting list and I'm now officially on it. I feel apprehensive because I know what the first few weeks are like and how rough they were however I can see such a massive improvement now. My right knee is now so much better than my left and I'm excited to have a matching pair!

I still find coming down stairs slightly uneasy sometimes but I can now do it without having to cling on to the handrail for dear life which is a great improvement! (especially when out in public places!)
My left knee is really struggling now as I made it really suffer when I was just out of surgery with my right knee.

I still have no feeling in a large area of the front of my leg and down my shin. I was told yesterday this may or may not come back (insightful!) but in the grand scheme of things I can totally live with that if it makes such an improvement to my knees and life in general!

Hopefully I'll receive my date for surgery soon and can start to prepare (both mentally and physically!)

Emma

Offline elisha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 04:02:54 PM »
Hi Emma!

Great reading how well you are doing with your recovery!
Any advice you can give me. I had this surgery 10 days ago now and I'm still in complete agony, how long did the pain stay for you? I can't move my leg at all, sleep on the sofa and stand up about twice a day to use the toilet. I'm on codeine and paracetamols and putting ice on it, which just about makes it bearable. Is there anything you did to ease the pain? I'd just like to know when the light at the end of the tunnel is going to be on its way!

Elisha

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 01:27:36 PM »
Hi Elisha

The first two weeks are really tough - It does get easier though I promise. I think I found the first week the hardest, I had to get someone to help me out of bed too and you feel like you have zero independence.

I found after about the 2 week mark the pain started to ease, It's definitely worth speaking to your doctor about pain meds if you don't feel that they are helping. I was on cocodamol (I'm uk based, not sure about you) and it was making me feel really sick and not helping with the pain. I got this changed and I started to feel a difference. There's no point in suffering! Also, ice as much as possible. I found icing my knee helped so much pain wise.

It'll also help when it comes to doing exercise and when you start physio to start regaining the range of motion in your knee. Things start to ease pain wise then they slightly increase when you start physio so better to have your pain medication sorted out before then.

Try to stay positive too (I know it's sometimes easier said than done) as it does get better and I can totally see the benefits now i'm almost 4 months down the line. I'll have to go through it all over again with my left knee too in a couple of months and I would probably have been reluctant too but I can see a big improvement already.

Keep me updated on how you're getting on - I'm sure you'll start to feel a big improvement soon :)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 06:21:16 PM »
Hey Emma so how long will you have to wait for the next surgery is it via nhs??

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 07:43:53 PM »
Hey lucha

Yeah it's NHS, the same as the last time. They've told me 9 weeks but then I got a letter yesterday saying it could be 12 weeks?

More time to get myself prepared in the gym! (That's how I'm gonna look at it anyway) how are you getting on now?

Emma

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 08:23:27 PM »
ok then..... well 12 weeks gives you more time in the gym to make sure both legs are strong :)

Yea getting on well im now running,lifting weights on legs.... doing lunges running upstairs still have problem with rom ( range of movement ) it keeps flexing between 95-100 degrees, get stiff now and again to be expected i suppose lol

you should ask to be put on cancellations under the nhs as i did that and i was aiming for july they said it could be up to 16 weeks wait i suppose it depends where you are in the country.....

and i got a last minute one for may which had be cancelled or just use the time to your benefit and get the legs as strong as possible =) one thing i have realised in the gym is that the adbuctor machine for the interior muscles of your legs is the hardest machine because it hits on the scars

great to hear that your in the gym =) keep up the work let me know how your getting on =)

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 10:01:37 AM »
Sounds like you're doing great Lucha! I don't think I could run upstairs yet. Well maybe a few steps!

Yeah I'm in the gym trying to strengthen my legs as much as possible before the next surgery. I think I'm already on the cancellations list actually?

It's funny that your ROM is restricted so much whereas mine isnt but I don't think I'd be able to do anywhere near what you've been doing in the gym! I guess everyone just heals differently.

Glad to hear you're doing well though. I'll update again closer to my surgery date and keep reading your thread for updates on your recovery.

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2014, 07:40:09 PM »
I agree Emma I think mpfl surgery everyone's recovery will be different ........

Even though I can run my flex is not great only up yo 95-98 right now so rower I can't flex much on but runner cross trainer and steppers ok ...I suppose it depends on so many things, surgeon , graft , tightness recovery , complications etc....... With what I'm doing in the gym generally I'm stubborn and determined lol and normally I have a personal trainer to guide me... It's expensive but I get more out of her than I do the hospital physio.....

Great to hear your on the cancellation list :))) I hope your second one  goes well keep us updated:)))

Offline elisha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2014, 05:32:05 PM »
Hi Emma

At the two week mark now and it is slightly easier, I'm still not really mobile at all because the pain is too much but when I am lying down the pain has eased abit!

Ive been to see a nurse today at the walk in centre for my staples removed. Its difficult because I had my operation done at the hospital where I go to uni but now I'm at home so I don't have a doctor here to see! Ive seen two nurses now and neither of them had any idea what mpfl was, nevermind anything about the surgery so its hard for them to know the pain I'm actually in. Still got the codeine and she wouldn't prescribe me anything else. She also only removed half the staples and then decided that it hadn't healed enough so I have to go back again next week!

Im supposed to have had physio already but the hospital messed up and didn't send my details over to my hospital at home so I won't have one till next week now, hopefully the pain will have eased more by then.

Been feeling much better towards the end of this week, Ive had a couple of hours in the day where the pain in mild and I'm getting alot more sleep, got into a pattern of waking up when its time to take my painkillers then getting back to sleep straight away!

Thanks for the advice!

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2014, 02:49:56 PM »
Hi Elisha

Glad things are getting slightly easier. Yeah my own doctor and the nurse I had to see to get my stitches out didn't know what the surgery was either.

I actually made an appointment to see my doctor as I was in a lot of pain and the painkillers they've given me didn't help. (I'd been taking pretty strong painkillers for the pain in my knees before the surgery so I'm not sure why they thought giving me a painkiller that is weaker than those I was already taking was a good idea!!)

I had physio 2 weeks after my operation. I actually had an appointment for the week after but I cancelled it as I found I could barely stand let alone get in a car a week after the surgery.

It will get easier, I noticed a massive improvement once I started going to physio (just make sure you take painkillers before you go as it can get a bit uncomfortable)

Let me know how you get on :)

support