Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Multiple Knee injuries, now something a bit different?  (Read 833 times)

Offline bridaman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Multiple Knee injuries, now something a bit different?
« on: May 07, 2014, 01:58:17 PM »
I have had multiple knee surgeries due to Osteochondritis Dissecans (OCD).  Mostly I have had Microfracture surgeries, although I did have a very large cyst removed from ACL, as well as a very large Loose body removed about 10 years ago.  Most recently 2 years ago I had torn both the meniscus in that knee.  Dr. says I have no more cartilage and am bone on bone, and I need a replacement.  However being a young football coach and very active he said we shouldn't do it. 
My knee started aching about a year or so ago again.  I ignore it as I am used to it, however 2 weeks ago I twisted it and felt a pop (a little pop).  It was sore but 3 days later I could not walk on it.  Now I am still not able to really go anywhere (limping because it hurts).  I am used to aches in the knee but this thing hurts.
A new symptom has come up that I have never really felt (or remember feeling) in my knee.  This time it is in the back of the knee almost middle (feels inside).  When I take the weight of the knee and bend it slowly I feel this really bad pop, almost like it is shifting positions.  It is weird it rattles my whole upper leg, up my hamstring.  It is not painful, just a really weird feeling. 
Again this is different then my normal issues and was just wondering what I might have done in there.  Anyone experience anything like this?  It is like cracking knuckle only way bigger.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  I go to Ortho tomorrow but this has been bugging me for some time.

Thanks.

Offline bridaman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Multiple Knee injuries, now something a bit different?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 07:27:57 PM »
Update: I saw the ortho about 3 weeks ago (new one because I have moved). I informed him of my previous issues and multiple knee surgeries including microfracture. I told him my pain was on the medial side of the knee but it felt like the popping was on the lateral side. He felt around and said that the popping was on the medial side and I tore my medial meniscus. He sends me for an MRI and had my follow up visit yesterday. He walks in looks at MRI and says he sees several issues. First I have torn the lateral meniscus. He then says that I have a Osteochondral defect (well yeah I told you that last time). He acts as this is a new thing and I remind him of our conversation about how many times I have had surgery on it. So he looks confused and says well "well I guess we can do a partial replacement". Of course I am like "you guess" shouldn't you know? He then said (and I kid you not) I should go home and research partial knee replacement to see what it is all about. Said be careful because anyone can post information about it so be weary. Are you kidding me, go to the internet and look it up, is that not what I am seeing you for; answers. He was not confident and did not really have answers, he told me I tore my lateral meniscus and we could a procedure on it and maybe relive some pain, and then went right into the partial knee replacement. I guess I will be going somewhere else.

Offline buddy1741

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 03:06:12 AM »
go to a different ortho I have OCD in both knees and felt the same feelings in the back of the knee.  Look up Dr. Brian Cole a midwest orthopedics in chicage he does cartilage restoration u would be a good canididate being you have the lession on the medial side of the knee.

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 04:03:41 AM »
Hi bridaman:   That Dr. sounds like he is lost.  Definitely go and get another opinion before you have surgery.  Don't know if that would be hard for you but I wouldn't let that guy do surgery on me.   A partial knee replacement is a big surgery so if you have a bad feeling your probably right about it.
Find somebody you feel comfortable with and who is competent.   LAS

support