Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary  (Read 89339 times)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
Re: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary
« Reply #570 on: March 19, 2016, 04:16:38 PM »
thank you nick for your kind reply and i hope your second opinion goes well,  :D
so im nearing the two day point where i cant shave anywhere and cant use any soap,im so going to smell bad lol, you cant even use talcum powder..... so i waxed a week back my legs but underarms will remain like big foot lol,

Everyone keeps counting me down wishing me luck, but i burst into tears, when my boyfriend did it, and i suppose as he has come late into this he has an understand but not a full emotional understanding of the impact of the loss of two year, but he was understanding he came down to see me to check i was ok and that same day my knee had collapsed so i couldn't even really walk......
i think after he sat down and spoke to me it gave me some positivity but not long now till i have some honest answers =)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #571 on: March 23, 2016, 12:02:33 AM »
so im a little big slight drugged up right now but excuse my spelling etc.....
So i had my surgery today it was rather eventful as a nurse started choking while assessing me and had to be taken away from 25 minutes to recover, except for that it was a quick effective efficient service,

so i walked into the anaesthesia room and the anaesthetist and the nurse was interested with my ex wrestling career and was laughing and banter with me, but my surgeon just came in spoke to the anaesthetist about what drugs to give me, but didn't say anything to me whatsoever no hello or hi, i think he was preoccupied with some things, poor guy, so then i decided to tell him or create conversation and created conversation by talking about how a dumbell landed on my foot due to knee collapse he seemed quite concerned my foot wasn't buggered i said luckily i have strong feet as well and it didnt get fractured, its now dangerous. he at this point when into a deep thought then went back into the theatre room

So then the anaesthetist put pencillin in, then another injection of like a freezing agent, then another antibiotic, then and another then fluid, then finally the anaesthetist, every time he kept putting something into my cannula i kept counting to 10 and he said no not yet and started laughing, every time i did it and the time i didnt do it the next thing i got is the nurse sitting in front of me.....

so i asked the nurse if i could see my notes she said sorry i cant show you them........i said yes i can surely its my data under the data protection law, so she walked away and smiled i got the message lol then i looked from a short view,  i could read very Lax ACL, and i could see the damage to my femur and patella due to the constant instability, the meniscus looked fine and the other ligaments by the drawing and writing looked fine.... she came back smiled and walked away with the notes, so after that i didn't see my surgeon or anything.......and i wanted something to go back with my physio with on thursday..... so i found out in my discharge note that the ACL has an injury is very lax and odematous and swollen, so finally something to prove i hadnt been imagining it, i felt a relief go through my mind that i now had an honest answer for all these collapses.......

so i had to see my surgeon in 3 weeks time for a full consultation for what he found, the physio said at the hospital the report my surgeon has wrote talks more about the acl issue and cartilage loss than anything else in the knee..... which i suppose if a good thing as there cant be any underlying facts with the hyper mobility and the other ligaments seemed fine... but will have to wait for his consultation.....

so my throat chest and lungs are killing as well as my knee probably from the cold i had my temperature was 36.9 which was in the norm range, i also got told they would clean the knee up inside if there was anything floating debris or cartilage etc, i think they have done that as my knee is feeling smoother but tight..... and they have put me on blood thinners for 4 weeks! instead of 10 days i dont know why that is but i suppose is more of rather a precaution......

so now yes i do feel happy i fought for what was right and i got the answer i wanted an the surgery today back up the result of the mri i believe now the second opinion has given me hope in the understanding of what is right thing to do for the patient rather than the right thing for the consultant, there should be no fear in passing patients between consultants if they believe their expertise would suffice in that patients best interest...........
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 04:56:59 PM by lucha86 »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #572 on: March 23, 2016, 04:46:11 PM »
Hi Lucha,

I am glad that your surgery went ok yesterday and can now concentrate on post-op recovery with knee collapses should hopefully be in the past and no longer in the presence. It never a nice feeling waking up from surgery with a large bandage wrapped around your knee.  The pain soon sets in and feel drugged up with all the prescribed painkillers.

Very long winded with the anaesthetist taking time to knock you out! I had just one injection of GA into the cannula for scope#. Two for scope #2, 1st injection think was to make me feel more relaxed and then was given the GA. I prefer to just get given the GA straight away rather than a few injections, I just want to be knocked out ASAP!

Good luck in your post-op recovery, with no more regular knee collapses to endure.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #573 on: March 23, 2016, 04:51:19 PM »
well this was just the look nick so once i get the results in three weeks, i will know for sure if he wants to do an acl reconstruction etc, but having major problems with lungs and breathing so i will see physio tomorrow and ask him his advice as generally you can get complications with breathing after surgery it is common

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #574 on: March 26, 2016, 04:26:16 PM »
 :-[ :-[ so i suppose my last few days have been rather scary but dramatic few days....

so right after the surgery i noticed my chest especially my lower lungs felt like terrible, so post two days surgery my breathing was getting worse, so i thought i might have a chest infection, soi rang my Gp to ask if they could check t and explained i has a slight cold before surgery, GP then refused and said i must go to a and E as an emergency to check for blood clot!  at this point i was scared....
so went up to A and E at 1pm with the letter from my GP, they then took some bloods but only realised 3 hours later the machine was broken and hadn't sent it.....they wanted to give me an urgent CT dye scan to check my lungs, so THE CT department wanted the bloods first to check to then it got to about 5pm, then said said i needed a hand cannula for the CT so they put it in and then 10 minutes later they said oh no its an arm cannula we need for a ct scan so took the one out from my hand and put it in my arm, so 6:00pm came had my CT scan the nurses as wonderful as they are kept  trying to get a doctor to check my results for three hours, none came, by this point i was freaking as i have to take my anti clotting injection fregmin and i asked i needed it for the dvt, at before 9pm, the nurse came back to me to say they only stored celaxane on site and not fregmin! the nurse tried to get a doctor for me 9 times to get my results it was now 9pm i was more concerned about my injection as i have had risk of dvt in the past.....
so i rang someone i knew for advice who investigates the hospitals, she said for me to request if there is no doctor available in a period of 4 hours to give me the results ask the nurse to give me the results then discharge myself and say where signed no doctor available for results in four hour period then the nhs trust will investigate it .... the nurse was trying her best and kept apologising, i said i wasn't her fault.....
so basically i have a really bad chest infection.... nearing on pneumonia, they believed i didn't need any antibiotics as i still had a lot showing in my system,........ 
i went home in tears that night but relief also but there is only so much stabbing with needles one person can take

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #575 on: March 28, 2016, 09:17:37 PM »
so a pretty good job all i can say is no bruising very little wounds all ok a great surgeon =)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #576 on: March 28, 2016, 09:32:36 PM »
so everything is going ok with my knee my lungs are just a bit screwed i can do a full leg raise without shaking and my physio is pleased with that as i do have some fluid around the joint, my physio is one of the most senior in the hospital he believes by what is written on the discharge note that my acl is certain to be repaired now in another future surgery, as due to the words he uses my physio said ACL has an injury is very lax and oedematous and swollen, he cannot foresee any other option, the fregmin injections i have for another 3 weeks ....
so two weeks till i see the surgeon so lets wait and see

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #577 on: March 31, 2016, 05:48:55 PM »
Hi Lucha,

Your knee is looking very good so early on post-op, one would never would think it was only 10 days ago you had knee surgery. I did not realise it was just a diagnostic arthroscopy for your OS to get an idea what’s up with your knee. I wish my OS was not so hesitant in finding out what up with my right knee 20 months post-op. 

I hope you are not in too much pain and discomfort with your lungs so you can breathe more easily. ACL reconstruction surgery shows all along that you have had something majorly wrong, glad that your OS is willing to address the problem. 

Good luck in all your future treatment plans.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #578 on: March 31, 2016, 07:43:49 PM »
so  yes my surgeon did do an exploratory surgery first to comprehend my rather unpredictable knee i can understand from his situation that he has been brought into this at a late stage and wanted to see first what was going on with my knee......he did say that if any loose debris or dodgey cartilage they would also tidy up during this exploratory surgery...
so he said in the discharge note that "ACL has an injury is lax and oedematous."
so my senior physio thinks the only possible solution by his wordage is a reconstruction to recreate rotational stability again.... When i saw this note on the discharge note i cried because i finally knew i was right to go with my gut instinct

In a way im nervous as hell within the next 10 days, as i have waited for honest answers for over a year and a half after my ex surgeon saying there was nothing wrong with my knee, i have to find out what is specifically wrong so i have written a list of questions for him to give me answers too,so i don't forget. and a knee surgical diagram i have drawn for him to draw on to explain to me so then i can also give this to my physio to look at.... so it helps my physio understand further.....

I suppose after my past experience with my ex surgeon when his registrar said to me my ex surgeon didn't know what to do and was going to seek another opinion just after doing the second surgery, you do feel a lot of anger its time wasted, time lost, you cant those years back. I appreciated the fact his registrar was honest with me, but im sure that got him into trouble with my ex surgeon for saying it....

so after situations like this you can imagine, im on tenderhooks to know what is wrong with my knee....i suppose it is dependent on the surgeon and how injured the acl is if he will do an acl reconstruction or not, but my physios are saying to me THAT IS THE ONLY OPTION, your NHS notes show how many times you have been admitted with a collapsed knee, but now it is down to the surgeon and if he feels its viable to do an ACL reconstruction...... i just want my quality of life back....

i thanked my physio again in the hospital of my ex surgeon with a different consultant over ruling my ex surgeon and getting me transferred i said you got me the truth and an answer that something was wrong, it takes a lot of courage to do that even when you work with them in the same hospital.. he went quiet i said all i care is about getting the patient better, and the quality of care.....

a week monday i will know the results .............

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #579 on: April 01, 2016, 07:38:34 AM »
A compromised ACL would explain the symptoms you've been having, especially the instability and collapses. It sounds as though the ACL is intact but basically non-functional, like an elastic band that's been overstretched - maybe that's why the injury didn't show up on scans, because the ACL isn't torn?

I am actually very much hoping that this is the root of the problem and that the next step is a reconstruction. Because while it does mean another surgery and a lengthy rehab period, it's a common surgery with an excellent success rate as long as you stick to the rehab protocol. And as a professional athlete you know how to stick to a regime! Keeping fingers crossed that after the next consult, you'll have a clear way forwards.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #580 on: April 02, 2016, 12:24:26 AM »
Hey Snowy and nick
many thanks for your kind words, i think your right snowy on many levels, but on old mris which was taken previous to this surgeon by my ex surgeon apparently the laxity did exist i asked a friend of mine to check it...., however i suppose like i have said before even though someone has the title of knee surgeon they all have specific specialities of what area of the knee so, not all will have the expertise in ligament reconstruction/ hypermobility etc....

my new surgeon only did an arthroscope to assess damage and work needing doing, but also to protect himself by knowing what he is dealing with as he has come late into it ........which i understand......

So i just laugh now at the whole situation, because after MPFL reconstruction may 2014, MUA june 2014 , july 2015 arthroscope medial plication and chondroplasty, arthroscope march 2016, now maybe an ACl reconstruction dependent on what the surgeon thinks yes or no, so basically i have already had 4 surgeries by the time im 30 in a 2-3 year period, maybe 5 if he wants to reconstruct the surgery...........

the clarity im trying to make here is if a surgeon doesn't know what to do seek advice, or pass the case on as early as possible, every patient does not expect every surgeon to have answers to everything now i feel bad i have costed the NHS an extra near enough 2 surgeries, because of a dodgy ACL that could have been picked up earlier.......

i cant change what has happened but i can look at the positives now....

I do have  great surgeon now who listens effectively and lets me express myself, asks me if he has answered all my questions, i think he knows i ask so many questions now through past experience issues of not getting answers or honesty, and like to remain very closed, but he will spend as long as he liked with you to make sure everything is ok and your happy leaving the consult......... i cannot fault him at all.....

a friend is now coming along with me to the consult who has seen my knee collapse actually twice today so i thought she will be a good moral support and can explain to the surgeon too.....

so im hoping i finally can see the light  :) :) fingers crossed i just hope the surgeon doesnt leave me like this......
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:28:03 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #581 on: April 03, 2016, 08:37:59 PM »
so i have had more thought on the subject of if the acl needs reconstructed i looked into prices so as we know a standard knee replacement now is generally in the figure of £10,000-£13,000 depending where you look with ACL i got a bit of a shock lol.......

In the area i live on average an ACL reconstruction is between £4500 to £5500 pounds

now going with the top people in the top hospitals your looking at £8000-£9000 pounds double to the place i live,  unless your particular top surgeon does fixed prices where in the top hospitals you can get it for around £7000 but all fixed prices generally are for non complicated cases........

i spoke with some people about it this has now been going on since the start of 2014, so nearly two and a half years now, so under the NHS if i wait it will be another up to 5 months to wait for another surgery, then rehab on top on that is like another 6 months plus......so it would be near enough four years lol while if i go private i would get it done quicker.................

it sounds bad to say this but when you just become desperate to get something fixed because your knee collapses in unpredictable ways the DVLA wont allow you to drive till its stabilised which then effects your job promotions, you begin to want to get it finished with.... my boss said as long as he has one to two weeks notice to plan that is fine... its just frustrating...... should i have to pay for quicker treatment..,,, no i shouldn't after my past experiences being let down by my ex surgeon........

but i feel about years of it i have come to the end of my tether and im exploring my options, because i feel my knee cannot cope anymore with the collapses its frightening just crossing a road now, im glad im in the hands of a good surgeon, but im looking into my options..............just fed up
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:27:29 PM by lucha86 »

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 379
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #582 on: April 03, 2016, 09:33:53 PM »
Can you not get a proper ACL brace to keep the knee stable? Surely your Physio can help source one. See what the surgeon suggests

Good luck
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 09:50:50 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #583 on: April 06, 2016, 04:25:14 PM »
hey vickster hope your ok havent talked to you in a while,
Regarding the ACL knee brace some of the physios arent agreeing as i have just come out of surgery and my quadriceps are dead for a 4th time one feels its better for me to build the quad without the brace as the brace will inhibit the quads further, the other physio was adamant on using it but using it with caution due to my recent surgery......
so i have tried using a brace at points where the knee is rather bad, but then my work doesnt like me wearing the brace a lot luckily enough i have a desk job, but my physios  both agree my priority is to get the quads active other wise it will be a double effect on the knee..... so im trying a approach of closed kinetics first to try to stabilise the quads again which puts less impact on the knee, given to me by a friend of mine in rehab who works for galaxosmith and another company... who have a place in the uk that rehabs athletes,
ive started to try to swim too as non impact on the joint but full muscle workout................but my leg just collapses without 5 minutes of walking out of the pool and turns and shifts outwards the joint does............
a never ending battle to keep trying lol..........

but i suppose only over four days till i find out what to do........i think im going to be pretty blunt with my new surgeon lol had another 6 collapses my knee feels a bit like a puppet and legs on strings right now but good news is leg is swollen but knee is ....=)

just over 4 days till i see the surgeon not long now
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:30:36 PM by lucha86 »

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 379
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #584 on: April 06, 2016, 05:05:17 PM »
Fair enough. Seems pretty discriminatory of work especially if you have a desk job! Are you being looked after by HR/OT (depending whether private or public sector).  See what the surgeon says about the brace, if he recommends and work kick up a fuss, I'd be taking advice

My knees are being ignored as I'm recovering from shoulder keyhole surgery right now. 3 weeks post op, back to work on Monday, pretty sore, starting with physio.  No cycling, no driving, no swimming, nothing much allowed!
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

support