Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary  (Read 89334 times)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
Re: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary
« Reply #390 on: May 08, 2015, 05:26:39 PM »
so my physio is out on monday so im going to see a kiwi physio who i have had one session before he has alot of experience with sports athletes , he is really funny and sarcastic and he has had alot of experience with ligament reconstruction as he had an ACL on his knee 40 pounds (75 dollars) for half an hour but better than seeing someone who doesnt have a clue about mpfl lol ......
and my work wants me to see my physio as ,my knee gave way after getting out of a chair went very lax shaky then i was down i thought bugger here we go again so i promised them i would see a physio on monday even my work understand how rare mpfl surgery is as it took my HR 4 weeks to get back to me as they had to confirm it was an actual operation with a doctor as they had never heard of it GP's are very cautious or dont know either when it comes to mpfl they generally ask me what can they do to make me comfortable and thats it   lol so they know generally its only the physios who can help me or my independent doctor, as i have to wait my turn for my surgeons surgery date so no point in bothering the surgeon untill i see him when my time comes on the NHS... ............. knee is .... buggered.com not long now i keep telling myself =)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #391 on: May 09, 2015, 07:50:50 PM »
ok so what i am going to write now is my experience an trials and tribulations of an MPFL reconstruction and to remark that everyone's recovery is different dependant on the situation and circumstances and diagnosis etc. but please respect me for what i and saying or what i have done.............as i have done it in the best interest for me but for my career in my sport with lack of information available...........

So my dislocation first started when i was 16 when i was growing considering i was nearly 6ft by the time i was 16 and the doctors were unable to confirm what was the the issue with my right knee, and just kept putting me into casts, and redoing physiotherapy in the late  1990's /2000..... i suppose when there is no answer you just try to adapt and carry on the dislocation continued, because no doctor could give me an answer but they even saw my kneecap go out of place , it was rather frustrating times......... by the time 2008 hit i had already well over 300 knee dislocations which i generally put back in myself by doing alot of wrestling moves or plank positions
 by 2011, my weight was getting out of control, due to the instability and inability to exercise, i tried for the next few  years to keep going on in the wrestling and just ignored my weight issue and kept going on i suppose its what my teacher taught me you work through the pain and deal with it mentally..........
by 2012/2013 i had a major dislocation in my knee in a wrestling match and then i fractured my foot in 1 12 car crash pile up in mexico where a drunk bus driver crashed into my pick up with four of my friends i go hit on the passenger side car rolled over several times only to find out the bus after us crashed into several more cars it killed a few people and one of my friends too.....  i was out for a good four - 5 months no exercise and inability to get out my weight increased i thought i was still 16 stone at that time my normal wrestling weight but i would get a shock in just over a few years............. in wrestling generally we are very big ...............in order to catch men and throw them about in mexico ...........
so early 2013/2014 i finally went to see a doctor in the NHS ....... blamed my weight and more physio as weak vmo.... same as second doctor what he said......... even though i told them of my history and had a traumatic injury in the wrestling it wasnt taken into account till i saw on the third visit and a year later..... i saw a young registrar who listened to me and saw my problem in my knee............... and referred me to my surgeon ... i took on a trainer and decided now was the time to deal with my weight before the surgery i wasnt expect to see i weighed over 25 STONE!! i thought now it was do or die.....
yes you might say i should have dealt with my weight earlier but i had to accept that and deal with it by myself with the help of a personal trainer.......
so my surgeon agreed in february 2014 to do the surgery as the ligament was ruptured and i needed stability as i could even do a lunge......... by working with a pt from January to may i lost over 5 stone it was hard work day and night in the gym with the PT strict diet, some people might say i pushed my knee before the surgery but you can respect me for taking action and dealing with my weight loss........
so after the surgery in may 2014 the surgeon said to me you need to lose the rest..... i said i would lose it by the end of the year, he laughed i said take your time..... as being a wrestler and competitive i said to him i will watch me! he smiled but i knew he didnt believe me lol....

I went back to my trainer paula as i found i couldnt have a physio on the NHS for four weeks so she helped me to get me moving and helped me with the exercises given to me by the hospital i said to her i want to prove my surgeon wrong when my leg gets better and lose this weight i want to show anything is possible no matter what obstacle.... she said she would help me..... but i had complications the scariest one was my leg being triple the size and the doctor saying i might have dvt and the celaxane going from 30mg to 180mg per day in the stomach injections and the silence in the room where they scan your veins to look for clots, and the blistering and swelling of the leg i prayed a few times that it would go down.....

then due to stiffness my surgeon gave me an MUA, I remember my surgeon saying i thought you would be an easy case, this in a way demoralised me but also built up so much anger i thought  i need to prove this dude wrong...... the mexican wrestlers always say when you fall you get back up and you show that you tried and you keep trying till you get over that obstacle, nothing is failure, you can only gain wisdom...

so after my leg settled i managed to get into the gym as after 6 weeks my surgeon said the ligament was now attached and pressure could now be put on it..........as i had lost flexion and both physios had said that can be a complication from the surgery.... some things worked some things didnt so it had to be adapted..... in order for it to work ... like i said previous some things work for some people and some dont for others and for my sport i said to the nhs physio how do i jump off a corner of a ring onto a guy with lack of flexion i got told well you have to adapt the rehabilitation to work for you.......

so we came up with exercises different to the rehab as well as my personal trainer to help me back to sports,as there was nothing in publications to say how to return a wrestler back to sport post mpfl because in mexican wrestler there is alot of flying out of the ring gymnastics flips etc, pivot turn kinetics which when some physios looked at found hard to rehab as it was a grey area or the unknown as there was simple no right or wrong answer.....

so i thought i must try or i cant return to the wrestling..... some people may call it crazy but without research or trying .... medicine can never progress without things like clinical trials or patients trying new things, medicine would be a very different world..... so by around july august i had lost another 3 stone with the help of my trainer........ by then i got hit by the taxi my knee was swollen but it recovered and i still plodded on i returned to sports post 4 months as my surgeon got an mri to check everything was stable so i returned to sport 2 months earlier than standard procedure as i was determined to help these kids with terminal cancer in some matches..............some people might say i was crazy to do that but respect me for trying and understand that i had the sign off from the surgeon........

i continued with my training at the gym under supervision of my pt i managed to lose just up to 11 and a half stone by december.........during the last few months of 2014 i noticed even wrestling was becoming harder as my knee was locking grinding and giving out i knee something wasn't right my promoter and insurance were getting very concerned and signed me off for safety.....

returning to wrestling was hard as i had to change everything as i was no longer allowed to fall of my knee in risk of fracturing the knee cap any doctor reading this should take this into account with all athletes and advise them before the surgery, i had alot of guys say i wasnt the same person i proved them wrong because it frustrated to a level where i thought it took me 10 years to gain respect and honour and i wasnt have some young peeps take that away from me lol
i found knee flexion the hardest as flipping was impossible due to the loss of flexion mat movements fine as long as no full force on the knee cap twisting motions were 70% impossible to i changed them up too...... i think sometimes doctors underestimate how loss of flexion can have a big effect on athletes lol...........so it was of a case of if i didnt adapt in the gym or in the ring or with the physio i would have to retire ... with their help and the physios i managed to do 12 matches before i started having problems

to be honest in my hearts of hearts i remember saying to the surgeon post 6 weeks this knee is too tight and was grinding, i knew something felt wrong mechanically as my knee shouldn't lock and give out while running grind when i walk or have to cry myself to sleep because i felt like my knee cap digs into the back to my femur........ some people might say i might have pushed myself too much but my belief is everyone is different and has different circumstances i was under wrestling contracts to return post 6 months and wanted to achieve my weight loss goal to help my knee......and as i had sign off from the surgeon i was following all protocol and was always working with a personal trainer or physio

it was funny because every time i went to my surgeons clinic his nurse and assistants would comment on my weight loss and say your shrinking where have you gone i had went from a size 26 to a size 14-16 in around 10-11 months, my surgeon didnt comment so i thought screw it im going to bring in one of my old pair of trousers and show him....... so i said i had something to show him and showed him the trousers from feb 2014-feb 2015 he said oh my lord and i think by that point he knew he had to say something, he said my weight loss was miraculous and i remember saying to him have i proved you wrong then? he smiled  and said im learning things all the time.... i think even the patients are learning things too lol more than the doctors

to be honest i said to my surgeon the last time i saw him i don't expect a perfect knee, but i expect stability this is what i thought this surgery would do......i said nothing is perfect in life...... i said but i shouldnt have grinding locking..... and have to cry to sleep at night or still have semi dislocation or dislocation..... i can deal with pain/complication.... all i want is stability of the knee... so now i have the three options of untill he gets in and has a look in the revision surgery he thinks there might be an imbalance inside the knee and wants to check as as my joint likes to hyperextend who knows the outcome lol.........
1) clean out of knee and check inside
2) clean out of knee and tightening of lateral side
3)clean out of knee tightening of lateral side and tightening above the knee cap

MPFL there is still alot to learn with do i regret having it no as it did give me some stability within the first 6 months, why don't i get a second opinion some people have asked me? i have said you have to have faith or trust in a surgeon if you have that then any problems for me will be fixed as for any surgeon doing mpfl for me by what i have read there is a fine line in mpfl reconstruction and many things can effect the outcome of the mpfl reconstruction and since i have hyper laxity in my knee and a tttg of 20mm that probably hasn't helped.... everyones knees are different and everyone can react differently .....

So i sit here with a cryocuff on my knee 6 dress sizes smaller lol writing this its an ironic thing but i want people to understand that no matter how many diaries you read be aware everyone recovery is different and that no matter what obstacles you hit post surgery anything you can achieve with the right help right support and determination inside you, but know your limits and only you know what you can and cant do ..........

so i have been told i will be booked in for july for my revision surgery if cancellations are there i would grab them lol, i have to look at the long term and i want the surgeon to fix it in the long term perspective and not as a short term goal if it forces me to retire from wrestling then i must accept it but there is always hope....... 2014 was a hard year but im hoping 2015 will be the year where things are resolved  xx
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 10:02:20 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #392 on: May 10, 2015, 08:04:05 PM »
So I have been on a crutch for around 5 days now and no gym either had to work today nearly fell down the stairs as knee semi dislocated I was abit shocked and cried a little but I suppose needed to let it out lol .......... Luckily my boss didn't see it or I would not have been allowed in the building .... I would have been marched home or a and e and generally emergency staff don't have a clue on mpfl lol ..........So it's quite painful so I got out the codine phosphate I had left over from the surgery ........ And I cryocuffed it ....... For me to get that out I just didn't care about my wrestling testing by that point as my knee was that painful confirmed it with my promotor ......... It's abit of a double edged sword because bracing the knee will inhibit the quadricep and won't help with my strength training before the surgery ..... Or wear it and hold the knee in place and have a weaker quad before the surgery which won't help post surgery.......
So I'm hoping the physio I see  tomorrow will help my knee as it still feels it's not tracking rather floating and very lax ............ Fingers crossed he can't sort it out ........ Because everything I'm doing to try to settle it is failing it"............  Faith in the physio :)))

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #393 on: May 11, 2015, 12:03:46 AM »
So i suppose i want to rant as to how im feeling right now
So generally right now im lucky enough to have four hours sleep a night with my knee i find the only comfortable position is putting it up a wall, putting my left knee under my knee to elevate it ... but it still wakes me up, so you could say im just very tired......
i walk and my knee stiffens and grinds on the back of my bone and i have to stop....... i have to keep stopping, before i went on a crutch i was at the gym, it would lock n the running machine and on the bike, i kept questioning it saying maybe it was a tight ligament, but naturally i shouldnt feel my knee cap grinding on bone or locking up or holding on for dear life on the running machine when it locks up.........
all i want is a 70% working knee not a knee that feels 65 years old attached to a 28 year old body ... just in alot of pain and tired i dont want any reply from anyone just a way to vent my frustrations... i just want to be able to live life in a decent manner..........
my surgeons secretary offered me another surgeon to do the job which in a way i was shocked by .. maybe she was thinking of my return to sport i dunno.. the other day and to be honest the amount of pain im in im just not sure whether to wait for my surgeon who has looked out for me alot or get another surgeon to do the job who can do it sooner, im just too upset in  too much pain and tired to think about it..... i just want to be able to sleep pain free............
its just so frustrating how can i keep strengthening my vmo quadricep when my knee keeps sublaxing giving out and dislocating when all of this will inhibit the strength training aspect and if i wear the brace that again inhibits the quadricep and vmo so feeling very sarcastic right now  so i get to rest my knee and no do any exercise by one doctor then by another i get told to make my muscles as strong of possible ?? its like 5 steps back two steps forward so i feel considering i have tried my hardest lost all the weight and had help of physios personal trainers and dealt with all the complications in 2014 following the mpfl recon i feel deflated but have some hope i suppose.................. no replies please just wanted to vent my frustrations and i feel alot better =))

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #394 on: May 11, 2015, 05:00:44 PM »
so today i went to the private physio and my normal physio had an appointment with another patient and i saw the other physio instead she asked me how i was i burst into tears, couldnt stop crying, and explained all about the semi dislocations/ dislocations, lax joint, lack of sleep and i was just in so much pain and tired she gave me a hug and said what you really need is a decent sleep and said the other physio will relax the joint for me and she asked have i heard anything for my surgery?? i said end of july is the nearest with my surgeon.... she said to me cant they do it sooner?? than that considering it was a revision surgery??
i said i got offered a different sugeon but i thought if my surgeon is teaching doctors how to do mpfl then i have the best..... but i said im in so much pain i dunno what to do.. she told me to think about it and go with my gut....

so then she saw her other patient put my ray bans back on the receptionist bought me a coffee and she could tell i was just tired and in pain lol it was nice of her.... so then the other physio came out asked how i was and i just burst into tears again...... i felt so emotional and frustrated and tired i suppose i needed a release as im unable to do what i love to do......
so he took my bags and stuff as i was trying to control my shaky leg and took me into the room i already felt embarrassed enough as i broke down in tears in a private clinic..
i did a drawing of everything i felt and the dislocations to explain it beforehand as i was just too emotional in pain and tired to explain it...... and i explained that the last 10 days has been the worst i have had  :'( in the last 10 years of all my dislocations i havent been to the gym now in a long time either and my knee seems to be worse, im tired in pain fed up!!
so he said some of my flexion had gone and the knee was very lax..... he said me what was the plan for the surgery? i said dunno my surgeon has 3 plans... my physio replied he has probably spoken to his buddies or other doctors about my case because its very unique all doctors do it as it can help then i explained  it probably is true and the high tttg 20mm and hyperlaxity hasnt helped and being a wrestler too.... I said i wanted to stick with the surgeon as i have faith in my surgeon and he seems to be one of the best.... the physio agreed and said when you get to the pre assessment which is 6 weeks before the surgery say to him any cancellations that you will take it because anything can happen i know that as a physio some people cancel the surgery get ill last minute etc.........

he used a new cream of me a spanish one called FISIOCREM i tell you what it is an alternative cream all natural plants etc..... the heat in my joint was amazing and i felt nothing it was the first time my knee has felt at ease........i bought it off amazon today i will get it tomorrow............and the good thing is it wont affect the drug testing in the wrestling as its natural =))

so he gave it a deep tissue massage, and tried relaxing the joint........my knee was jumping and going crazy, and he said your knee hates you right now doesnt it ... i replied thats normal he laughed lol
sometimes you need humour in times of pain lol  so i walked out with a better joint but still limping he said my knee is not stable enough and i MUST wear the brace for the next few weeks ... he said he would rather keeop the joint stable and try to get the ligaments recover in the joint, before touching the quads...... he said my knee needed the support right now and not to worry what doctors said about wearing the brace..... he said i would rather your joint stays intact by you wearing that brace than by not wearing it and you cause more damage to the joint....... he said if i want to go to the gym i can go as long as it ONLY upper body sitting down or abs etc no pressure on legs etc no work on legs for next week or so he said i really need this surgery to stabilise the knee.........
so after my complete tearful breakdown i feel better its now just a waiting game to see if this surgery will be soon................ im hoping and praying something comes up  :'(

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #395 on: May 12, 2015, 06:53:52 AM »
So my knee went again after going for a walk with some milk so jystckeep plodding along I also have a sports massage tonight so hoping that will help trying to keep positive :))

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #396 on: May 12, 2015, 09:06:19 PM »
so today i saw my independent doctor for a catch up in London after my sports massage..... feeling rather pained
and sore.... i sat in his private clinic in london, and i met a famous footballer, who also seemed to have a dodgey knee,  he told me he had problems with his acl and needed in repaired and he asked me for advice lol as he saw i had knee surgery, i replied only you know what you can do and everyones recovery is different medicine is there to guide us but it can never tell how we progress individually...
he smiled then i got called in.............
the first thing he asked me was " have you got a surgery date?" i said its called the nhs you have to wait for your turn i have been given end of july as estimate but no date.

never seen him go ballistic lol he said "Your surgeon knows your an athlete, and this is revision surgery and you can only just get about with a brace on your knee its absurd! If i have revision surgery i make sure it gets done quickly so there are no long term consequences!"  By this point i was beginning to get frustrated because people were not understanding i have to wait with the NHS as my insurance wouldn't cover my knee as they said it was pre existing condition the independent doctor already knew this.....

as you know already i have had this independent doctor as a second back up as part of the wrestling contract, due to insurance contractual agreements they are there to double check your leg is ok......

then just for the doctor to finish his rant " he said the way your going you wont return to wrestling." i said i got offered another surgeon which could do it quicker and he said to me "No! let the surgeon finish what he started! as it doesnt help things it will keep you longer out if you changed now, and it gives the surgeon a chance to resolve the complication!" he wanted to write to my surgeon expressing his concern..but my promoter said that was impossible as all independent doctors have to remain unbiased and remain independent and from a different area from the surgeon, for contractual and insurance agreements.......

so he got a bit huffy, and check my knee...... he put his hands on his head and just said "Terrible," he then said your knee really needs this stability surgery its  weak and lax..... by this point then he asked me how am i feeling ? I thought a bit late for that question in my head. then i said you cant understand how i feel........he said yes i can...... i then got so frustrated i said.......

"yea you cry yourself to sleep at night because your knee is that painful and you rely on 3-4 hours sleep, you can barley go to the gym you cant walk for long because you feel your kneecap and femur and grinded away.... you wear a cryocuff, anything every night just to try to get some comfort the knee just locks up and you have to catch yourself... you cant bend your knee without being in major pain, you have to watch wrestlers jump in and out of rings and your not even allowed near the ropes, the fans and wrestlers ask when you will be back, and you have to keep smiling and say soon? you have the press ask you when will you be back? and you just smile, your knee keeps dislocating and semi dislocating after a surgery that was suppose to stop this, you have to keep asking your GP for a return to work with a crutch because the knee is so unstable and break down in tears in a private physio clinic because your tired in so much pain and some doctors refuse to help you because they dont know what mpfl is and just offer you medication??? and you still want me to believe you can understand you know  how i feel? wrestlers saying your not as strong as you were and you have to keep showing them you are even on a bad knee you lose a major sponsor....dont stand there and say you can understand... because your not the one who has to accept the fact that the hope i had in mpfl reconstruction is coming to a painful realisation and rather large learning curve i said what i need from you right now is positive vibes not negative vibes or help and hope........ by this point i remember i was staring right into the doctors eyes and i broke down, and i remember my promoter saying to me in spanish, to relax and he was going to take me somewhere where i could vent my frustrations after the consult...............

so the doctor i think was taken back i could see him think about it.... he said how can i help you then you tell me? I showed him the same drawing i drew for the physio and  said i want your opinion of it about how my leg was dislocation and the symptoms i had, he said my joint was showing as lax and probably it would be a good idea for the surgeon to tightening the lateral as to balance the leg, he said the word acl to be checked too as my knee was hyper extending into the back of my knee to make sure it wasnt ruptured as it can in these situation but he agreed with my private physio that the brace is best for now to keep my knee stable and intact and without it he said my knee right now is beyond unstable well at least hes honest ..... no replies please just want a place to vent =)
then he asked me again if i wanted to write to my surgeon and my promoter was NO! trust us on this one the insurance wont allow it you need to remain independent no further information can be mentioned  ........
so he told me to take care and that if i needed anything even for a check up go and see him rather than wait in a and e for it to be checked if the gp's wont check it for me............ i said he would be my second back up if my private physio couldnt help he agreed and i will see him at the start of june.......... but as i walked out of the office he gave me a reminder quote i dunno he likes to do things like this  he said "obstacles are there for a reason but quitting never lead a man to victory.." no replies please as i just want to vent =))

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #397 on: May 13, 2015, 06:44:00 AM »
So had a bad night sleep last night so I have left a message for the independent doctor to give me a prescription for stronger painkillers so I can sleep at night so fingers crossed :) just need some decent sleep the sooner this surgery happens the happier I will be

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #398 on: May 14, 2015, 07:07:57 AM »
so my knee has been cracking a lot i dunno why so i keep wearing the brace and i sleep with the cryocuff to relieve the pain....
its so frustrating and im just counting down the weeks to be honest to till the surgery......
I think everyone's knees are different in how they react after surgery, when it comes to mechanics of a knee inside after surgery you cannot control that, as it is beyond your point of control, you can try to work with it or it will work against you........
i suppose when my physio said to me think of it as a bad two weeks because it can only get better........ yes but when you have had dislocations for over 10 years and have hope that a surgery will correct this as your last option and you still have more dislocations any person would still feel loss of a chance to feel normal, however there is always an ability to keep trying or trying something else available to see if that will help........... still crunching still grinding still painful but i suppose your learn naturally to keep going//////////
its a case of to adapt to what you have on each individual situation.........
the doctor rang me back within the hour and has given me better painkillers  to see if they will stop the pain so i can sleep better so fingers crossed =)

for me when it comes to MPFL reconstruction and think some surgeons/doctors who deal with knee instability need to get back to basics and understand that it is important to try to help a patient rather than ping pong them to another place because a doctor fears something due to a lack of knowledge, why as patients should we feel fear of no answer, because of lack of knowledge of a procedure surely for some doctors their is the resources there such as internet, books publications or other tools to help a patient.......
If i want to check my knee still isnt dislocated surely a doctor/GP can check it without sending me to wait in a and e for 5 hours? it is just a sense of confirmation a patient needs, do we live in a society where doctors fear more liability issues than they do with treating a patient with the fear of lack of knowledge?  No replies please :)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #399 on: May 16, 2015, 12:03:30 AM »
so the last two week has been the most frustrating and tearful,  well rather it has been the most debilitating, i now find myself working out with a personal trainer just for safety reasons, and just for back up as my knee is just unpredictable, right now even with the few weeks rest and no gym, i have found my knee to react worse than  when it wasnt at the gym.............
I now wear the brace during workouts and the knee tape for walking, as when you wear the big bulky braces, your knee gets a bit too hot,
 but GREAT NEWS!!  I i dunno my knee cracked and pop several times over the past two days and then on the fourth incident my knee cracked again, and clicked it was a weird sensation but it felt as if my kneecap settled into place better now its feeling better it is still very lax but i cant do anything about that.........

the theory or approach i have right now is that this surgery is my final option, and that i still have hope this shall be rather resolved.
I did in those two weeks feel very frustrated, but i suppose that was something natural to feel as when you try everything to settle an unpredictable knee, and nothing works, and you have lack of sleep for the leg, and considering what i have achieved in the year with getting back to the sport the weight loss and getting back up on my feet, then to have these imbalance/ locking complications, can frustrate me, in life people what the ability to do what they want,  when surgical mechanics are beyond your control, it is hard to adapt to that, it is down to the individual as everyone's recovery is different for various reasons.....

with all the semi dislocations/ dislocations i have had my lateral side of my knee has become  sore, along with the medial/lateral side, so im using the cryocuff every day on it to ease the swelling, i find more of the pain right now is with the semi dislocations and dislocations the nerve pain has gone, or i will get pain in bent knee position or sleeping  using the fisiocrem and trying to only take painkiller at night to help me sleep more comfortable as i feel that is when my knee cap digs into my femur.........
since cracking my knee in and out it has helped my knee but it has become slightly more lax but then i can wear the brace till the surgery to support it................
Even my pt saw my knee hyper extended back into my knee and my quad going over and me reigning it in and fell down a few weeks back tried to get up knee kept locking and going back on itself ended up cryocuffing it and bracing it to keep it in place, now she is adamant until i have this surgery which i dont know what im having its a bit like  lucky dip get knocked out hope it goes to plan. lol ........however i suppose the unknown is a better option right now than having the problems i am with my knee........

One major flaw i did was my surgeon explained to me what he was going to do but not the names of the actual procedures, i think at the time i was more concerned with the fact i had to have more surgery,...... but i have looked into lateral tightening myself and the recovery seems longer than an mpfl recovery, im the type person i deal with it when i reach the bridge i suppose there is no point in making assumptions untill the surgeon does the surgery......... but the unknown is better than the present for me right now
hope is an important thing to have........
but after a year post  mpfl what have i been left with??

Positive                                                                             Cons
1)did have some stability                                               1) lost instability/ sub dislocations/ dislocations re occuring
2)Nerve pain has stopped                                               2)Grinding on bone/ feels under kneecap being shredded against bone
3) Very little knee pain (generally with                         3) unable to sit longer 40 minutes with a bent knee before sore and stiff
only disllocations )                                                             4)Knee cap feeling too tight against femur......
4)scars healed well                                                            5) lateral side very lax and sore, a lot more hyperextending of the joint
5)weight loss in the time of stability                               6) feel the mpfl is overconstraining other knee ligaments
6) ability to return to sport post 4 months                    7) knee locking up/ loss of flexion
7)                                                                                             8)some pain on femur screw feel graft is       pulling tight on bone

so it depends how you weigh them up... everyone's recovery is different a wrestler with a knee that hyperextends, has lax ligaments
and has been wrestling for 10 years i suppose can take its strain, but everyone's situation and regard to recovery is different i want everyone
to realise everyone is unique and you can read diaries for tips and answers but understand everyone's outcome is different... one thing i believe surgeons with mpfl do have to take into account is the occupation of the patient if they are athletic or in high impact roles, where knees take full brunt forces, all patients should be made aware of risks of patella fractures, landing on knee risk loss of flexion etc i know there are alot of complications to write down but full consideration of the occupation of the patient must be understood in order to help the patient plan their rehabilitation or create the best possible outcome for them, because the simplest of complication can cause major changes in one particular patient.........

no replies please =)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:53:54 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #400 on: May 19, 2015, 11:46:13 AM »
My knee has given away a few times since I last wrote so I'm trying  to still keep building all muscle groups pre surgery so still plodding on sleeping I'm finding now I'm having to sleep with my leg up a wall  or with a pillow on and under my knee not long now I suppose just keep going :))
Just feeling a little tired no replies please

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #401 on: May 20, 2015, 12:24:08 PM »
So I went to the physio who told me my quadriceps and vmo are strong my calf and hamstrings are strong, mybleg was shaking as it had just dislocated again! Lol so she told me she wants to keep going as I am and she gave me two hip exercises and she is pleased with my leg but not dislocations so just frustratedv right now I'm hoping to get something from the nhs in the next two weeks which will be 10 weeks without no news if I don't hear anything in three weeks I might consider another surgeon as I'm only sleep 3-4 hours per night I'm just exhausted just near tears 😭 so fingers crossed it will be sorted soon no replies please.......

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #402 on: May 22, 2015, 12:32:29 PM »
So I'm going to the gym now with a brace as my knee dislocated even by not going to the gym so i either brace it or tape it so fingers crossed I will have a date soon for the surgery trying to be positive but just tired with lack of sleep... No replies please

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #403 on: May 22, 2015, 04:43:12 PM »
good luck lucha! sounds like you are having a really tough time. hopefully you will get a date for your surgery soon - lack of sleep makes everything harder! fingers crossed for you
2000/14 - multiple dislocations of both knees
August '14 - bad LK dislocation
April '15 - LK MPFL reconstruction, tibial tubercle osteotomy and supramalleolar derotational osteotomy

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #404 on: May 22, 2015, 10:49:12 PM »
Knee red and slightly swollen today  took painkillers after a semi dislocation after picture was taken  used cryocuff on it to reduce swelling and physiocream after the picture was taken
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:51:46 PM by lucha86 »

support