Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary  (Read 89224 times)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
Re: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary
« Reply #375 on: May 03, 2015, 12:20:08 PM »
So knee has been painful today and hyperextended too much again ....so I have had to end up taking painkillers for it as the cryocuff isn't working hot and cold techniques aren't working and my knee was still swollen so my promotor has suggested I go back to the doctor just to get a sign off to use a crutch to rest my leg up abit .........
I said to him I would either visit the gp or other doctor on Tuesday for advice as I need to control the swelling of the knee hoping it will settle :))) ::)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #376 on: May 03, 2015, 11:28:50 PM »
The theory of everything behind MPFL reconstruction........
So this is a sarcastic witty guide to understanding MPFL reconstruction..........lol
So with the NHS i have a surgeon who generally would not call himself sarcastic but i would lol I remember him saying yep you will be up around moving in two weeks your an athlete i thought great fantastic.......
So had the surgery, tried to get out of the hospital bed and my leg was not firing i was like WTH? then an 80 year old lady walked right by me after have her knee done smiling saying come on dear, there was me trying to get out of my bed a 28 year old wrestler unable to move my leg........
by this point up to the 8 week point i learnt these valuable lessons..........

1) Showering use some cling film to wrap around your knee and you will be fine
2)Drug yourself up especially in the first few weeks... and do heavy walking activity when your medication is at its strongest.....
3) PHYSIO is key and movement is vital , make sure you constantly moving your leg.........
4)Celxanae injections into your stomach or evil and you just have to suck it up or risk getting a blood clot.. i currently blame pfizer , and bayer pharmaceuticals for not coming up with a new drug yet lol
5)wear your compression stockings as much as possible......
6) shorts or baggy trousers down to knee are the best as knee will swell
7) moisturising cream you will need plenty of as leg gets very dry... vaseline cream is best i found
8) crutches your own arch enemy lol- buy a pair of nike gloves to combat skin issues on hands
9)CRYOCUFF- BUY ONE!! icing machines saved my life it helps reduce the swelling and now rates as one of my priced possession equal to my GHD'S lol
10) MUA - MANIPULATIONS on most post i read people sounded scared by it.... it was actually a lifesaver for me and it didnt hurt, so dont be afraid to have it =)
11) be aware very low seating in the first weeks is near enough impossible make sure you have a high seat to sit on i didnt realise how low a toilet seat was till i couldnt sit on one lol
12)sharp jumpy stabbing pains is normal, even though it freaks you out lol
13) Have humour, because it will get you through the frustrating times
14)After 8 weeks i found by having different physios and personal trainers i gained more ideas in rehabilitation and recovered quicker.....
15)swelling, i found normal i found in winter months knee, started acting like a hormonal teenager had its good days and its bad days lol or swelled up to double the size found steaming the knee or hot showers helped this.........
16)deep tissue massage- i found to be a real benefit, as i found alot of my lower leg suffered after the surgery and having a deep tissue massage on the leg helped my recovery process
17)if you lose flexion with this surgery the reebok muscle rollers will help to roll out your hamstrings and quadriceps......
18)Physios - make sure you connect with them if you dont search elsewhere remember it is your recovery
19)trying to turn your feet on the bike when you cant is normal after 8 weeks it will =)
20)and finally remember everyone has a different recovery so go at your own pace and remember everyone  ha their different journey through MPFL  but my IPOD was my lifesaver lol

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #377 on: May 04, 2015, 12:25:59 AM »
So i have been feeling abit nervous i dunno its came on all of a sudden, lol

Maybe you could call it fear of the unknown, because, after everything i have been through in the past 10 months losing over 11 stone having the knee MPFL reconstruction during that time, i seriously dont know how i did it but and returning to wrestling in four months............

Now post 11 months im sitting on the sidelines of wrestling, still having instability of the joint, gym is becoming harder, and there are three options for my surgery i have no idea what plan will be done until i wake up after surgery as as any person understands to be out of control is hard, but you work with it...

...... a wrestler told me the other day "Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.".....

I then thought of it in a different light, i thought my knee has never been normal and never will be, sometimes the basic necessities anyone who has knee dislocations wants is stability nothing else... so i suppose everything has always been the unknown or uncertain with my knee since i was a teenager, no one could give me an answer threw me in casts to see if it worked in the 1990's, or put me on crutches but i never had an answer to the problem or to my questions, i suppose its now two decades on and medicine is more aware of the problems of knee joints and can assess them better due to medical advances..

I feel right now my knee, is currently buggered.... lol pain everyday subulaxations swelling grinding, instability, extreme hyper extension, lack of sleep due to pain of knee... the question then i ask myself is or answer is that is my quality of normal life acceptable right now? probably 50-50 right now,
but with all the unknown risks you take that risk some works some doesnt ...... everyone's recovery is unique and for me i have had a few accidents and wrestled too so i suppose it is just as much a learning process for me as it is for my surgeon.......

Today my knee has been in a lot of pain an im considering calling the NHS  waiting list line for an estimate because honestly my knee isn' t right and its affecting everything i do and i generally cry when i try to sleep because its so uncomfortable i feel like my knee cap is digging/pushing into the back of my femur .......... i have faith that my surgeon can fix it as he is one of the best and knee surgery is unique to each person...... but i dont know what is best to do with this knee right know i have tried bracing it no good taping it no good, and crocuff so so ......... just tired and frustrated lol`

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #378 on: May 04, 2015, 11:17:09 PM »
A wrestler thought he was funny and bought me some knee tape by rocktape in the form of bio hazard signs lol it is quite funny since my knee is buggered right now lol
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:18:58 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #379 on: May 05, 2015, 12:02:57 AM »
so was in gym today and my knee got locked up again and couldnt get off the cross trainer again so i had to have a personal trainer help me to get me down, i tried again to get up on it but knee locked so i decided to leave it and i see my personal trainer tomorrow i hope she can do something to loosen it up as its very stiff and sore today,  seriously its becoming a joke now lol even the pt's are saying there is something dodgey with my knee lol

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #380 on: May 05, 2015, 11:46:19 AM »
Knee gave out in gym

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #381 on: May 05, 2015, 08:15:32 PM »
so my personal trainer and physio sent me up to the NHS a+e today to get my knee checked so while i wait here i thought i would just let out how i feel,...................disappointed and frustrated..........
i currently sit here next to an older lady who said your too young to have a dodgey knee....... i said when you have a unstable knee like mine nothing is normal she laughed and said oh dear you gonna end up up with a knee replacement later on i thought to myself " geat lol" so i sit here writing to you with my leg up on someones back to their chair waiting to see a doctor to check out my shaking cramping quadricep, hamstrings and lax knee fingers crossed x

Offline Chester57

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #382 on: May 05, 2015, 09:04:47 PM »
Lucha,

I have been reading your posts since you had your MPFL reconstruction and while I realize that you are an athlete, do you actually believe that being an athlete precludes you from having to follow common sense rehabilitation?  From the time of your MPFL reconstruction you have pushed yourself to the point of absurdity in order to prove to your doctor that an athlete's recouperative powers are greater than those of mere mortals.  Not only did you have a major surgery, you were hit by a car, fell numerous times and you act as if you are surprised that you are having major problems. 

While you are sitting in the hospital once again, do you not see anything wrong with this picture?  I don't know why you think you are going to get a positive result while continuing to abuse a knee that has been severely screwed up for months.  You have tissues, muscles etc. that were traumatized by surgery and the numerous injuries you sustained.  Your exuberance may wind up causing you more permanent harm than good.
1980 LK open total synovectomy to remove AVM--Undiag AF Begins--MUA-AF & Instability--Debridement-AF--LOA, Synovectomy, Menisectomy, Chondroplasty, M/L Ret Release-AF, Instability & Sublux--MCL, POL, MPFL Allo Recons-AF--LOA, LR, Synovectomy-AF--LOA, M/L Ret Release, Synovectomy-AF

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #383 on: May 05, 2015, 09:29:40 PM »
so i ended up in the NHS a and E , i suppose when you have MPFL reconstruction surgery you get used to the "Huh?" Whats that?
so as you know you see a clinical nurse first, explained the situation, hopped into the room, and she said what painkiller do you want
i said a crutch to balance on that a painkiller would be good right now, she gave me a painkiller. and said she would try to get me a crutch, two hours after sitting waiting for a crutch,i got up to ask for a crutch again my knee went and a member of the public helped me up, i still didnt get a crutch.......
So i waited another hour i got called in by a matron nurse, who saw me , she had never heard of my surgery, and she asked what did i do i told her, she thought i was awesome, then she said she would speak with a consultant about my case as she wanted to make sure, and i explained everything that happened i just said i wanted it to be checked it was ok......so that i could be on my way.......

Then i heard her over talking with this consultant next to my room about my case she explained everything and this consultant said " She is 28 years old and she is still having these problems its ridiculous, why hasnt her surgeon dealt with this yet and given her revision surgery sooner? Shes an athlete!! he said to the nurse to send me for an xray- and check no bones were broken, i didnt think there would be i was just concerned more that everything was in place....... i didnt tell the nurse i overheard them i thought better not lol
so went for and xray and this radiologist was awed out too that i wrestled with my notes, hasnt anyone met a female wrestler before lol So then i looked at my x ray and i saw something strange i noticed my kneecap was really high, so i thought i would ask why did it look so high he looked and smiled and said cant comment, but i suspected by his suggestions / body language i had picked up on something as my knee cap was sitting higher on my femur which i found odd..... so i would explain why i have felt my kneecap rubbing on my femur............

so i went back i said to the nurse and gave some chocolates to the team as it was mental in A and E people were standing as there were no seats, and i said to them thanks for seeing me today and helping me i know your all stressed out but i appreciate the help, they seemed shocked lol but you have to show gratitude for help..................

so the nurse came back with two crutches, and said you need to rest your knee there is alot of swelling but no broken bones,
i said if my surgeon finds out im on two crutches he will more than likely got ballistic im trying to get my leg strong for the surgery......... having two crutches will inhibit this and im very stubborn she laughed and she said no workouts no gym, nothing except walking your knee is bad, you need to REST, ..... she said it was sad to see me at 28 years old having the knee problems i was still having after the surgery i had, and that it must be debilitating, especially for my sport, she told me to go to the Gp to get a note from the doctor for a note for my work so i can continue on one crutch..........

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #384 on: May 05, 2015, 09:57:16 PM »
chester- in order to understand rehabilitation and the history if rehabilitation everyone's recovery is unique some things work for some people and some doesnt for others.......

i have followed the recovery process all physios have given me as part of the process of recovering from an MPFL reconstruction, my surgeon gave me a letter post four months to say i could do anything i wanted in order to rehabilitate the knee..............as the mri had proven my ligaments were fine to take the stress of return to sports etc and new activities etc..........

yes i agree my knee has taken many hit and rather stints of bad luck, i have two physios not including the NHS one, personal trainer who have guided me through the process to make sure i dont make the wrong turns.......however due to the loss of flexion due to the surgery this has forced adaptations to be made like i said earlier on some things work for some people and some dont work for others............

in pre contractual agreements in latin america/ abroad to wrestle it states that an applicant must return within a certain season period after injury dependant on injury or the contract is lost or terminated...... my time to return to sports is 6 months with an MPFL anything more "extensive is 6-8 months"
the reason for this is due to branding and promotion and also charity work generally with children with cancer......

my knee has been a complete state since i was 16....... dislocations have always been there........
the question i asked myself at the start of it when researching mpfl was there was so few ideologies on rehabilitation and available to read upon..........so there was little to work with.....

so how does anyone know what is right and wrong for each individual? because everyone is unique, some things have worked some things haven't but isnt that a case of trial an error and learning in life? How has medicine advanced to the stage it has without medical advancement or people trying new things??

I have had to adapt because i come from a culture of sport where people say "Fear is never an option" "No pain no Gain "Mind over body" " if you fall down get back up and learn from it." "Wisdom comes through our errors learnt."
i have constantly said through this chester everyones recovery is different at least respect for for trying and saying at least i tried  different things and considering my surgeon gave me the all clear post four months and after the accidents i was following protocol..............." mere mortals" i do not agree with that phrase as i have said before everyone is different......... i find it abit insulting to be honest..............

but from my sport point of you you must appreciate and understand the pressures to return to sport and the money loss due to injury and also contact, promotor and fan pressures im sorry but im not the type of person that can say to terminally ill cancer kids who are fans of wrestling in latin america i cant help you.....................and when you have to keep updating people on your progress....... there is alot to consider

There has been no record / publication of an MPFL reconstruction on wrestling or marital arts recovery athletes so im just learning just as much about this as is my surgeon........ .
so really its very new in that area as forces are very different and kinetic are different.....

understand everything i have had to adapt to in order to keep wrestling, is like changing everything i have learnt all over again.......it takes years to learn how to wrestle and when you cant freefall forwards anymore which is 70%of a match you wrestle trust me its a a life change.........
 and confirming from what my surgeon said previous to me that is may be an inbalance in my knee..... it confirms alot of the problems i have been having sometimes some things are beyond my control mechanically but at least i can say i have damm well tried my best when doctors have told me to lost the weight i have lost it, when they said i might no return to the wrestling i did.......it has been an absolute emotional rollercoaster for me and i have done my best ....  what i want this to show is everyone can achieve what they want to achieve no matter the obstacles ....................

« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 10:13:07 PM by lucha86 »

Offline Chester57

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #385 on: May 05, 2015, 10:31:13 PM »
I understand cultures are different, ways of life are different and people heal differently; however, there is a saying "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and over and expecting a different result".

I wish you nothing but the best and hope you resolve your problems.
1980 LK open total synovectomy to remove AVM--Undiag AF Begins--MUA-AF & Instability--Debridement-AF--LOA, Synovectomy, Menisectomy, Chondroplasty, M/L Ret Release-AF, Instability & Sublux--MCL, POL, MPFL Allo Recons-AF--LOA, LR, Synovectomy-AF--LOA, M/L Ret Release, Synovectomy-AF

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #386 on: May 05, 2015, 10:51:16 PM »
i know you wish me the best chester but understand this...... this is why im not wrestling im trying to help my leg by making it the strongest i can...... my surgeon had said something isnt right that is why i am having a second surgery....... but how can i find what works and doesnt work in my sport when i have followed all protocol without trying because there is nothing there to say in research or publication wether something is right or wrong to help in my rehabilitation there is a saying called a grey area called the unknown.....and for me this is what it is right now for me, if i jump from a ring corner what pivot motions works what doesn't, if i flip my body... when i lift a man above my head how can i put his safely down without pressure on the mpfl ??

what landing works without pressuring the mpfl what would help it in the gym, this doesn't exist because wrestlers i know havent had this surgery........ my independent doctor has tried asking other doctors in the states europe and asia to no avail....... they can only find soccer football and rubgy players.......which is very different movements.... most wrestlers have had PCL or ACL surgery none have had MPFL as in professional wrestler not olympic wrestling two different types..............
When i am trying things that i have been unsure of to wrestle i always had a medical person present to check movements or to help me adapt it by watching the pressure of the movements.........

sometimes grey areas can be seen as extreme......but there is nothing there to give advice on correct procedure what am i left with ??..... so im limited to know what is right and wrong without trying it so im working blind you could say....... but then if i dont try or adapt then there is no hope in returning to wrestle......

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #387 on: May 06, 2015, 11:25:37 AM »
so today i managed to get my note from the doctor to give me a return to work on one crutch as we know in the uk you need one of these before you even enter an office with a crutch lol..........
so i also found out there booking in my surgery for july time so around 16 weeks waiting list  she told me my surgeons waiting list is very long..... im happy because then at least i can plan my life, as i have alot to get covered and have to get people to cover me in the ring and can now start planning rehab post surgery =) which in theory would be 5-6 months in order for me to return to sport....... and fingers crossed everything will be a lot better =)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #388 on: May 07, 2015, 05:41:26 PM »
so rather funny my GP, rang me to confirm my return to work note and he kept saying to me " are you sure its advisable to return to work? how many stairs do you have a lift? i think you need to rest it.....
he seemed rather reluctant to give me the note generally in my office job separate to my wresting you can only have three sicknesses thats it i have had two for my knee so far in one rolling year,

if i got another one by 20th may i would have a disciplinary, i didnt explain that to the doctor i said it was an office job sitting 80% of time no hard labour, he seemed to let me off and he gave me a return to work with one crutch for one week i said that was all i needed until the knee stabilised.......he said if i had any more problems to go and see him and he can refer me back to the fracture clinic.... everyone in the UK understand the fracture clinic means orthopaedics in NHS words and if i needed stronger painkillers to contact the surgery lol why is it as soon as doctors know you have had MPFL surgery they fob you off with painkillers do they know its a painful surgery lol so i thanked him i got on with filling my croyocuff

can someone just fast forward 8 weeks for me lol so i can get this dodgey knee sorted hurry up surgery lol
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 05:56:15 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #389 on: May 08, 2015, 07:02:22 AM »
So had a very bad night my mpfl and lcl side and the back of my knee cramped  up so much It went  into a spasm tried to get out of bed to stop the cramp and knee just gave out again semi dislocated knee went back into the back of the knee joint quadricep went over and knee whent back in line after the joint settled into it's original position...........and fell on my backside
It's still very shaky to walk on it I haven't been to the gym at all in 5 days so my knee is just buggered right now
I might ring one of my physio to see if they can see me over the weekend or Monday because it's in a bad
Way a And I'm just confused in how to treat it and abit fed up it's tight stiff grounding and acting like this... Walking is not bare able right now but have to until I can get a physio to look at it as I only have one crutch
So fingers crossed I will get it sorted :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 07:09:33 AM by lucha86 »