Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary  (Read 89273 times)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
Re: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary
« Reply #330 on: March 17, 2015, 11:03:37 PM »
So I currently sit here writing abit feeling meh ! Lol
So my knee has dislocated twice today and considering I have been doing everything the physio has said lunges squats bosu single leg balances , I now have a rather cold cryocuff on my leg un bemused lol
So I have several options and I will explain my reasoning as other mpfl patients can understand this  in the uk

Go to a gp - forget it as they don't know what is mpfl reconstruction look at you blankly and give you painkillers to get rid of you lol

Get a doctor to check it at the hospital - again generally don't have a clue and you end up teaching a doctor of 20 years what mpfl is lol and you get the blank look or huh ?

Go to private physio - as she has experience with mpfl as the doctors don't seem to have a clue in how to treat mpfl patients unless then are orthopedic trained doctors.......

So I will ring my physios clinic in the morning to see if she has any free appointments there pretty good because to be honest right now I'm fed up with my knee  I feel everything I am doing and it's still dislocating I don't know if it's due to the hyperlaxity in my joint  why did I even have this I'm beginning to think but I do think to remain positive and keep going  as an athlete frustrations will make us work harder....... All  I want is a normal knee ............. I see my surgeon in over 4 weeks......... So we shall see fingers crossed I can see the physio tomorrow :)

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #331 on: March 18, 2015, 01:56:09 PM »
Hi Lucha

So sorry to hear you're still having trouble. Have you phoned your surgeon? I think if it's still dislocating then maybe you need to go straight to him and not a physio/GP.

Let us know how you get on.

Emma

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #332 on: March 18, 2015, 10:16:17 PM »
So saw the physio who wasn't my normal physio  he was pretty cool.... I found out a lot more with him than my regular physiotherapist I explained to him what had happened and my history and first he decided to check how hyperlaxity my joints were and I got 8/12 he pulled my finger right back never knew I could do it lol..

He checked my knee and he said who was your surgeon I declined to answer I said as this will remain independent so he's a local then I just changed the subject so he checked my knee and said you have major spasms in your knee and quadricep area which is a classic sign after dislocations so he wanted to try to relax the joint and keeping feeling and massaging the area it was burning like hell lol the pain was terrible.....

So then he said this is a very poorly knee ...... It's crunching swollen spasms .... He asked me how did I feel I said to him when you try your best go to the gym and do every exercise everyone asks you to do and your knee dislocates you begin to think your best is not good enough but I keep going because I'm determined to reach my goal........... I said mpfl is suppose to stop dislocations I rather don't understand what's going on...
He replied it can take up to two years for a knee to fully heal as everyone has different healing rates.....

He told me everything I'm doing to treat my knee is correct the cryocuff to reduce swelling and the painkillers and if I need crutches for a doctor to sign a form to say I could use it at work if I need them.......

He said my knee should settle within two weeks , he then asked me to walk he said the dislocations and spasms had cause lack of control of my leg and it should settle"...........

So he put my trainers back on for me as I have lost flexion and could barely bend and he wanted me to be checked in a week to see how I was going and he said to me when I see my surgeon next to ask three things so we shall see so currently stuck with a cryocuff round my knee about to sleep  if I can having to sleep with my leg up a wall to stop the throbbing burning rubbing sensation in pain but hopefully the painkillers will kick in
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:17:48 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #333 on: March 21, 2015, 05:26:44 PM »
So i ended up in A and E about two nights ago two days after the physio visit as my knee went again and the physio wanted me to get it checked the doctor said it was back in and that he said i was now back to square one as its dislocating again i laughed and said no im not its not as many as i have had previous to this lol...
so positive the doctor was lol as im an athlete i don't like to hear negatives because it only frustrates me and makes me more determined to try......

i have already proved a lot in medicine and to doctors no martial arts person has returned to sports post 4 months after MPFL i have lost over 140 pounds when some people didnt have the belief i could do it so im determined to keep trying..............

the doctor requested i speak with the surgeons secretary which i did to try to move the appointment forward she is a lovely lady my surgeons secretary and she moved the appointment forward for me for just over a weeks time instead of four weeks..........so i hope i rather do hope i shall get my answers because this is what i have so far......... i do not see these as negatives i just see them ad things to improve on or obstacles to try to get better

i appreciate in any surgery it will not be 100 % perfect but sometimes we all need the basic things in order to overcome the rest of these obstacles,
 i am not taking any painkillers as i trying to do a lot of meditation that the Japanese wrestlers taught me as in the wrestling we get a lot of drug testing with my promoter, and i believe its important to be aware of your body's reaction 

1)6 dislocations now /multiple semi dislocations
2) hyperlaxity of knees/ joint hypermobility
3) popping and grinding and burning sensation of knee cap on main bone when walking
4) burning throbbing knee when sleeping sometimes i sleep with it up a wall im lucky if i get 4-5 hours   sleep...
5) bike and cross trainer burning grinding sensation
6) knee mechanically locks and doesnt move at certain points especially in quick moves........
7) swelling issues/ shooting pains from side of knee to foot

but considering these points im still going to the gym in a brace and continue with the physiotherapy routines with me i REFUSE to give up i want to prove no matter what obstacles you face with MPFL reconstruction keep going some points are hard where you hit walls but remember there are ,any ways to get around an obstacle and even though you might not be able to do something that do you will be able to do it someday =) I have had points where i have been back on a crutch and last couple of days i have been on one for the dislocations but sometimes in order to make greater steps in life we must go a step back to learn through trail and error then succeed in bigger ways

Be aware the power of human thinking and emotions can drive you through these times.........never be afraid to try ,remember no matter what a doctor says to you in be it good or bad information you are the one in control of your body not them and you are the one that can achieve success...
BUT REMEMBER AT POINTS DONT BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP =)

fingers crossed my surgeon can answer my questions because i want to return to wrestling i have done 12 matches some wrestlers have said to me im not as good as before so i put them in a British lock then that seemed to make them rethink lol =) when you come back to sports from injury there is a lot of judgement and pressure to return but like i said you know your strength and what you can and cant do but never think you wont be able to do something, i know in myself my knee something isnt right as an athlete you are aware of a lot more so lets wait to see the surgeon.....

MPFL for a standard daily life is a unique surgery that can save your life it helped me to lose the weight and get a small sense of normality for a bit of time and it can make you feel more secure people know when you have constant dislocations what it feels like ..... i would say go for it for anyone considering it my case is rather unique in itself as im a wrestler and lost the weight returned to the sport and have pushed it due to the weight loss etc but sometimes its better to go for the unknown that live in constant fears of dislocations, remember everyone's recovery is different and unique everyone has a different opinion of MPFL

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #334 on: March 23, 2015, 07:02:02 AM »
So just a quick update
My knee is continuing to act like wobbly elvis Presley leg lol so I'm still doing everything in the gym as my physio said I am the one use to dislocations so I know when I'm ready to work it ..... She said to me I'm very goal orientated and driven and thinks I'm doing well considering the dislocations.......
I don't get why sometimes physiotherapist and nurses are more positive that doctors lol
I told her I was doing lunges and squat classes for the past 9 weeks and I'm going back to them in a brace for this week only she didn't look amused as she thinks it's could dislocate again I said well squats sitting by a wall and lunges is what my surgeon wanted me to do I will carry on doing to prove a point ..........

I train everyday so I know I'm trying my best, and if I can do everything else in my power and my ability there is not much more I can do ........

I have got to a stage with my knee where to be honest I do what the physio tells me to do and do my exercises and go to the gym over 2 hours a day everyday because I need to wrestle again I'm not angry but frustrated because I don't expect to run on a running machine my knee locks ups gets stuck then I have to grab onto the rails to stop me flying off  because it locks so I try to work with it "..........
As an athlete I know something isn't right because the motions aren't there correctly.......... But I'm working with it right now and fingers when I see my surgeon next Monday I will get answers and fingers crossed he won't shout at me like he did last time when he was having a bad day lol all I want is abit if respect for what I have achieved so far without the complications
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:15:16 PM by lucha86 »

Offline patriciapatella

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • Kristine Camins
« Reply #335 on: March 23, 2015, 09:33:14 AM »
I'm rooting for you lucha! I can just imagine how hard you must be working, especially with your wrestling career on the line. I pray that your knee already gets better and that you get stronger. You had the surgery to better your life and not to make your knee worse. I wish your doctor would be more positive with you. It really helps when your physiotherapists and nurses are supportive.

Hang in there lucha! You can do it! :)
MPFL Diary <-- my MPFL blog

1998 - first experienced bilateral patellar subluxations
1999-2014 - multiple dislocations every year
12/01/2014: MPFL recon of right patella
1/18/2016: MPFL recon of left patella

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #336 on: March 24, 2015, 10:30:01 PM »
thank you for your kind words patricia =) yes i  agree with you i had the surgery to make my life better i ADMIT that i appreciate with SURGERY you have to sacrifice something nothing is never 100% with surgery so you will get little things which you cant change, however i know im hypermobile in my ligaments so they are lax but the main question is i ask myself that if this surgery is suppose to stop dislocations??

mu surgeon did say to expect the semi dislocation due being hypermobile , but then as an athlete i do question now then maybe it is best for me to be braced for contact sport if i have a higher rate of increased semi dislocation because in a rather sarcastic witty funny way i cant lift a wrestler above my head and if my knee dislocated and say sorry dude hang on my knee has just dislocated lol =)), the safety aspect for me and the other wrestler would cause big problems,  people landing on necks etc

this is why i am now considering bracing my knee in order to return to the wrestling because i have to consider those who i wrestle but also myself within safety and not causing damage to another wrestle..............i refuse to give up because one thing MPFL has taught me as patricia and emma can understand is that anything is possible as long as you keep trying

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #337 on: March 27, 2015, 08:39:59 PM »
So rather I have been doing so many leg moves I thought I would share
Weight machine -------
Smith machine weighted squats
Leg press
Leg curl inwards
Leg curl towards
Hip abductor
Adductor inside

With resistance bands
Clock motions inside band
Crab squats
Internal and external pulleys to the side
Lunges / squats
Side steps
Swings on one leg

Bosu - and balance disc
- balancing on one leg on bosu like superman
- balNcing on one leg with weighted ball with motions of clock
- balancing on one leg getting a pt to throw balls at me and me to throw back
- squats on one legs and two legs
- interchanging balancing movement disc to turn legs in an out

Mountain climbers, the dreaded evil Burpees lol knee had dislocated but braced it up carried on with  upper lol

Standing squats against a wall Swiss ball squats , side jogging, obstacle go a rounds trx leg workouts
Being attached to a wall with elastic bands and running and forcing my legs not to pull back .........

Lunges with weights in hands, hopping and cross leg ladder techniques  ballerina stance techniques , one leg squats

running, cross trainer and rower and bike

As you can tell it's a lot of excercises lol but I still find it rather funny how the knee still isn't doing what it is  this is what the physios set me and my knee is still sublaxing/dislocating but hey ho and then i do my other training on top of that to keep me fit for the wrestling just work with it rather than against it  .............
suppose to be doing but I carry on keep going because anything can be achieved if you try .......... :))

-
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 10:04:17 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #338 on: March 30, 2015, 08:18:58 PM »
My knee with taping bright colours lol

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #339 on: March 30, 2015, 09:03:16 PM »
so i saw the surgeon today and i explained everything i felt and he really did listen which made me feel a lot better ....
i explained that i felt with stability i felt that i could not wrestle for the safety of other wrestlers due to the instability i still had and i explained all the problems i was still having said i dont expect a 100% great knee nothing is perfect i just want stability for me to wrestle..... he checked my knee over he then though it might be an idea for him to go back in a check in as he thought there could be an in balance around the kneecap and ligaments or it could be loose debris he also wanted to check my knee when i was knocked out lol

so then he can see the movements of the knee so he can have a better look at the problems with what im describing and see if there are any underlying issues so he said he had three plans for the surgery
after he goes in and has a look  dependent on what he finds

plan one - Clean up look around and move any debris

plan two - clean up look around and tighten the lateral ligament side of the knee

plan three -clean up look inside tighten up the lateral ligament of the knee and tightening up the top of the knee cap muscles

so i feel happy now that something is getting done then its getting checked and fingers cross i can return to the wrestling ......so im now on the nhs waiting list so i dont know how long that is anyone have ideas??

but fingers crossed positive things are coming i am now taping my knee up with red tape to stop risk of dislocations etc as seen above so fingers crossed positive things are happening !! =)

I'm now using the taping as requested by my surgeon and physio to support the knee from semi dislocating or dislocating and it's funky colour tape too lol
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 09:59:48 PM by lucha86 »

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 379
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #340 on: March 30, 2015, 09:44:13 PM »
Waiting time will depend on the surgeon and the hospital? Which one is it? However in London, unless you get lucky with a cancellation, probably at least 3 months for elective knee surgery. Best to ask the surgeons secretary, she'll have an oversight of his lists for the rest of the year probably. I assume he does private work too, so he's not operating for the NHS that many days a week (perhaps 2)

Hope it works out. Take it easy until the op...and follow all the instructions afterwards ;)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
« Reply #341 on: March 31, 2015, 02:41:04 PM »
Hi Lucha

So glad to hear you are feeling more positive and are hopefully going to get to the bottom of the issues with your knee.

I waited 12 weeks the first time and 2 weeks the second! (thanks to the cancellation list) hopefully you wont have to wait too long!

Emma

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #342 on: March 31, 2015, 04:36:35 PM »
Thanks guys for your kind words :) yes I hope this problem will be sorted I have least told my surgeon I will expect to wrestle 3-4 months post surgery he replied with a laugh and said only you will know when your ready so I'm happy now that it's getting sorted because I felt like I was getting frustrated as my knee for me wasn't mechanically acting the way it should be  so I have hope and faith again :))
We shall see how long it is I see most people are saying 12-18 weeks so I will rather just go with the flow :)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #343 on: April 01, 2015, 10:03:58 PM »
Thoughts so far on MPFL surgery............. for doctors and patients alike
So MPFL this as a surgery, i have questioned it a lot recently but then i think as an athlete i underestimated it, it was going well until the complications got worse, there is still rather a lot that needs to go into the research of this MPFL reconstruction surgery to understand it more,
i think in generally as living a day to day normal life yes wonderful MPFL surgery is great to give the self confidence back, security and the stability of the joint........

As and athlete we underestimate what frictions pivots movement and forces we put out pressure on as you can rather imagine in wrestling when your flying out of rings into chairs, the knee because the one important complex joint you reply on for everything,

i remember when my complication started happening i jumped out of the ring from the corner and my knee locked up i couldnt move it and i had to flex my left leg and pivot my body to fall correctly if i didn't my knee would have been damaged in the chairs, i also lifted a person and my knee locked so for me i understand why my promoters stopped me for the safety because they do not want to put me or other wrestlers in danger which i appreciate and understand..........

I APPRECIATE in every surgery nothing will ever be 100% but you expect stability if you have had a surgery to regain stability within the joint i cant put up with the other complications but for me stability is key in order to return to the wrestling there are so much pressures within out joints in this particular contact sport...........

mpfl surgery i think everyone's recovery is different, no matter what you read, my case is rather different in the sense im a athlete, for me there were times during the process that i felt frustrated which i think many people felt because you forget the basics things, it takes time to heal but as athletes we become frustrated rather quickly and you get on with it because your determined to see it through...

Many people who have had MPFL CAN understand the first two weeks you learn so much about accessibility dealing with pain etc,  i think what is crucial through my experience is physiotherapist the earlier you can get it the better this is key to your recovery process, i didnt have it till after 4 weeks post surgery due to availability of physiotherapist and had a leg which was triple the size compared to my other leg.

Doctors are learning just as much as their patients with MPFL reconstruction...
 however the question i have for the doctors is this ..." if there is nothing in black and white to say you cant do something, then why try to challenge something when there is so little research on MPFL surgery." how can we know what works and doesn't without trying, i found that by asking different opinions from personal trainers and physiotherapist, i got different moves and motions to help me in my rehab but also to get me moving quicker than anyone expected, i think its important to have an open view and listen to different opinions alot of medical research has happened through trial and error and im afraid to try if it would benefit other people in the future...........life is about learning....... :)
With MPFL reconstruction i think its best for doctors to give as much information as possible as there is so little available to the patient..............

MPFL has taught me more about motions pivoting and kinetics you do have to rather adapt to the positions and change to work with the leg, life is about adapting that is what is important to understand a situation and react to it.............

I now move on to the next phase of this journey and have faith and hope my underlying complication will be resolved i dont expect a 100% perfect knee but i expect stability  i have physios already preparing my muscles to be the strongest they can before this surgery, so i am waiting for my surgery date so then my physios can amend the plan further... i said to my surgeon i would return back to wrestling in 4 months then he laughed i said how about 3 then he laughed again and said i thought you said four about 5 minutes ago, i replied nothing is never impossible he replied only you know when you are ready to do it. But for me i think one key feature of an athlete is we are stubborn and never give up no matter what complications are thrown at us =)

But i would say for those leading a normal life go for the MPFL it is better trying the unknown that living a life of constant complications and remember everyones diary of MPFL is different =)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:05:50 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #344 on: April 04, 2015, 12:38:04 AM »
so today has been rather interesting i work out in the gym this morning went for a walk to the local supermarket a couple of hour later and considering i did very little lower leg work today my quad went over my knee and went back out my knee went back on itself at the back of the knee and then i fell down right on my backside .... i managed to get up by my knee felt very lax and unstable and the joint didnt want to do anything lol but i managed to get home, so i got home burst into tears let it all out lol so put cryuocuff on it to relax it and had to take some painkillers to reduce the swelling but it seems to be settling now which is great.........see the physio on tuesday so i  will wait till then =)

oh the joys of a hypermobile  mpfl joint lol  ::) ::) if i dont laugh i will just get rather frustrated more lol

support