Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary  (Read 89218 times)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
Re: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary
« Reply #270 on: December 24, 2014, 02:24:15 PM »
Thanks for the advice vickster I have been using hot steamy showers which seem to be helping my knee :)) but as soon as it feels the cold air it stiffens up I have been using sliders to see if that helps I suppose trial and error :)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #271 on: December 25, 2014, 09:25:25 PM »
Day 225- 20 minutes to get out of bed -  :( - temperature drop knee very stiff
So today I tried to get out of bed my knee locked and just wouldn't move so I tried several times and call someone to bring a hot water bottle to me, it seemed to work after 10 minutes my joint felt a lot loose which made me think it was the cold weather I feel since the temperature has dropped today my knee just hates me lol it's very stiff and even the skin feels very tight......
I have my good days and bad days with it I have to suspect it  but I'm just getting tired and frustrated also as I can't only sleep in two positions and that's it if I sleep in the other positions my knee starts throbbing or strong pain if I lye on my back or in my stomach the pain is insane if I lye to my sides it's ok and variable but I just font get why it's more painful at night that during the day because there is no weight on it??

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 379
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #272 on: December 25, 2014, 10:19:11 PM »
When you say the skin is tight is that over the haematoma? Is it red or warm at all? I would strongly recommend you see the GP ASAP on Monday.  If it gets worse in the meantime, go to A&E. I think you are in London, what's your nearest large teaching hospital with orthopaedics?  Where does your surgeon practice?

Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #273 on: December 26, 2014, 09:53:51 PM »
Day 226 - what a surprise again sleeping issues - naproxen still not working - feeling annoyed  :(
So feeling rather sarcastic and witty I get like this when I feel frustrated because it's the only way I release my frustration as I do not  like to show anger lol So LETS START!!

WHAT A GREAT SURPRISE !!! Again under 4 hours sleep because my knee woke me up all the way through the night tried pillow technique tried hot water bottle tried arnica even took the naproxen but nothing worked tried sleeping on back sleeping on stomach made my knee scream at me tried sleeping on sides worked then woke up with throbbing pain.... Then put my leg up on the way feel asleep then woke up with a cramp.....
I asked two pharmacist could I take anything else on top of the naproxen I got told a big fat NO! Oh lovely that makes my day lol ............ So as you can tell I'm a bit buggered lol this had been happening since October when the weather changed and I JUST WANT a Good SLEEP, after 8 weeks I'm beginning to get frustrated lol
Not even lee evans or my iPod can help me to sleep lol.........
My heamatoma  has gone done drastically probably cause I have rested it.............
It's still getting really stiff in the cold weather I expect that but come off of it I just want a decent sleep!!
I feel like my patella is rubbing into my femur when I lye on my back and the throbbing and burning sensations is beginning to irritate me .... Well need to think positive I'm raising money for a air ambulance in the uk to help others,.............

In answer to your question vickster in the uk my surgeon I see in the next coming few weeks I think if it's not better my independent London doctor will be back from 3rd of January will go and see him for advice....... There is no point in young to the hospitals now half the doctors don't have a clue I had one ask me to look on his phone on Google to show what surgery I had done as he wasn't sure lol
Oh the joys lol I think I will go and listen to a hit of one direction or nickel back to release my frustration lol

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #274 on: December 26, 2014, 10:03:52 PM »
Good news on the haematoma.  You can take other meds with Naproxen.  I take it too, it's not really a painkiller but an anti inflammatory, think it may help a bit (take 2 x 500mg a day).  You can take paracetamol + codeine or tramadol for pain.  Just no ibuprofen, aspirin or diclofenac.  Talk to your GP as the stronger stuff needs to be prescribed to get at a worthwhile dosage

I am probably going to see my OS on the 3rd too as my knees are giving me gip...coincidence! :D

I'm glad it's not colder and that there's none of that white muck in London yet that is falling further north!
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #275 on: December 26, 2014, 10:29:17 PM »
Cit a long story short vickster lol before the naproxen was on ibropfuen then tried codeine and paracetamol didn't work dicoflenic was the one that work a little but my gp took me off of it as she said due to new research it can increase heart attacks and kidney failure so she wanted to put me on narproxen as well as she said dicoflenic was not a good option as she thought the size of my swelling I could be at risk do DVt as well lol
I might try doing a old Asian technique wrapping my knee up in arnica on the top then using a hot water bottle underneath well I hope your appointment goes well :))

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #276 on: December 26, 2014, 10:34:12 PM »
Tried tramadol, works well for some people (I find codeine works better, especially at night to knock me out but bungs me up more)!  The gel pads you can heat in the microwave can help, also the old frozen peas in a teatowel!

I've not decided whether to see the OS, I would have gone before after whacking my leg again but couldn't get in before his Xmas break.  He'll probably just tell me again to do less (even though I am now barely cycling, too cold for me not least)!
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #277 on: December 27, 2014, 05:23:35 PM »
day 227- knee still stiff - its just becoming a joke now! -  arghhhh!! LOL
So it is becoming a joke now my knee had gotten even stiffer and i just don't know what to do with it any more and again bad night sleep...... i spoke with my wrestling physio on skype and he asked me what is wrong with it  what have i done to it and why is it so swollen i HAVENT BEEN TO THE GYM, im been walking that is it now i am BANNED from long walks...... and when your an athlete and someone is telling you to do nothing not even a nice steady stroll pffff!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
so i went off on one at the physiotherapist i said WELL YOU TELL ME WHAT TO DO AND I AM DOING IT!! NOTHING HAS IMPROVED, CANT YOU TELL, you want me to wrestle in 8 weeks an i am currently walking like herr flick out of the bbc series allo allo ( he did laugh at that point lol ) the only think that eases it is standing under a 45 degree shower turning my bathroom into a sauna and then it helps i have drugged myself up till kingdom come and nothing works , i don't want to be drugged up just because of this stupid weather i get out of bed looking lik im 70 because my knee is too tight to flex i still cant sit in a chair longer than two hours.. SO I AM BANNED FROM TRAVELLING BANNED FROM WRESTLING BANNED FROM THE GYM BANNED FROM WALKING, why dont you just stop me from shopping next i said very seriously in a sarcastic witty tone... he laughed but then got serious and said we need to see what's going on there you shouldnt have that amount of swelling post 6 months.. so i will book you an appointment with your independent doctor in central london we need to make sure the ligament isnt too tight and assess everything before you see your surgeon next............
OH GREAT i said HES GONNA BAN ME FROM EVERYTHING ELSE LOL.... please let me go and let my frustration the physio laughed and replied NO! He said to me your really frustrated i replied . Sleep deprived, in pain swollen knee, cant do what i want to do, lack of information on mpfl long term issues IM IN THE UNKOWN,,,,,, all i want to do is just wrestle and throw a few peple out of the ring and i will feel alot better lol. He replied you will just let us check you.............

if i say anymore i think i will get myself even more frustrated at least im still smiling and have humour lol

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #278 on: December 28, 2014, 03:53:19 PM »
Day 228 - I'm allowed to swim wohoo!! - still sleeping issues knee very very stiff  in cold
So I spoke to the medical team I gave that I could contact and I said to them I'm going stir frickin crazy sitting on my arse lol so I said if I can swim I. Having a workout and that has no impact on the joints and it's the best workout I can do right now if you won't allow me to do anything else they called me back I two hours later and said I could do it got the next two weeks WOHOO get out the champagne lol
So I must admit it did help my joint it came out bouncing of the swimming pool but when I got up this morning my knee just stopped working just didn't move very stiff even the skin was tight it took my around 30 minutes to get myself up how bad foes that sound considering I'm in my late twenties lol throbbing all night as well and my knee cap was screaming at me oh joy lol
Don't you love cold weather lol

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #279 on: December 29, 2014, 07:06:57 AM »
Feelings on mpfl reconstruction so far..........
So what do I think........ We'll........ Where do I start......
Sometimes it's best to try the unknown because the unknown seems better than living a life over over 15 dislocations of the knee per month........
Sometimes you have to assess or make a decision where will the outcome be better than what you have currently got....?
So for me I  had the mpfl reconstruction surgery because as an athlete my knee was constantly dislocating in competition and I did not want this to cause damage to my joint or end my career you could say, it was a constant battle with my knee before the surgery to keep it in place. And keeping it taped up.........
I think there are some doctors who will keep classing you as a number rather than diagnose you correctly or due to lack of experience they underestimate how important the mpfl reconstruction can define a patient.....

I saw two "MR' which in the uk is the top boys as doctors they kept blaming my weight weak muscule but took into no consideration the fact that I was an athlete had this problem with my knee since I was 16  I remember saying to them " I lift men above my head and throw them out of things I'm sure my legs are very strong....
In a sense i by this point I had lost hope in any doctor that could treat me I lost hope in the medical profession I because my knee was dislocating so much I was unable to exercise even wrestling I was beginning to have major issues..........i was being forced back and forth  by the physio as she saw my knee dislocate and felt there was something seriously wrong

So I saw a young doctor who had just qualified after the two experienced doctors he looked at my mri and checked my knee and said I think you have ruptured a main ligament why haven't you been sent to the surgeon by this point it was a year and a half  I said so your telling me your the less experienced doctor and your the one sending me to the surgeon he then said if I saw you first I would have sent you straight to the surgey as you wrestle you have a history with this knee and it shows on the mri ......... The who ironic part of this is that young doctor trained under one of the MR doctors I saw earlier before him lol just shows sometimes medical opinions it's good to get a different opinion

So I saw the surgeon who was confused why I hadn't seen him earlier than this point I just said I give up he tried to make me squat my knee went and he asked how I was still trying I said I keep going that's it..... So he told me yes I had ruptured the ligament and I needed surgery judging by the mri so I was please mentally as I knew something was wrong with my knee but Also frustrated that several experienced doctors find not treat me as a patient or athlete to get the right diagnosis and with athletes time is critical........

Post surgery I have lost the weight I put on my knee is not dislocating I have had a few sublaxations in the past couple of weeks which may be due for several reasons but I will speak with my surgeon about those....there has been little knowledge of rehabilitation on mpfl reconstruction I had to look outside the box in order to rehab myself with the help of personal trainers...... I myself have learnt a lot about mpfl as well as personal trainers which could be a benefit to others

I have had Dvt risk, compartment syndrome, MUA, internal bleed in my leg and I have still surpassed medical understanding by getting back into sports contact sports post 3.5 months when the rule is 6-9 months....

It has been worth it as I gave got stability but the cold weather for me is affecting my knee now
Very tight and swollen I believe it to be the cold weather or the other option that my independent doctor said is the ligament is too tight as he had noticed my knee overloading itself so again another thing to discuss with my surgeon........

But no matter the complications I have had the surgery has helped me again and given me my life and hope back, if you want a different opinion seek one don't  be afraid think outside the box out of your rehab without thinking outside the box I wouldn't have had such a rapid rehab recovery it is a case of trial and error and only you as a person know what you can and can't do................ There has been a lot to gain by just trying the unknown and it has worked........

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 07:24:59 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #280 on: December 29, 2014, 08:51:11 PM »
day 228 -  >:( >:( stiff as a dodo my knee  >:( >:( - frustrated today- medial retinacular
so today my knee was playing up big time took me 40 minutes to get out of bed, i feel like i am 80 years old getting out of bed lo My knee has been so stiff, even when the cold hits the knee i feel my skin so tight then i feel and i have had medial pain for the past 12 weeks which is rather annoying.......
So my physio decided to throw me a surprise visit as you do when you have a wrestler who is frustrated lol

he felt my knee to see where the problem is  he said that he felt the issue area was around the medial retinacular where the pain was and also on the anchor position on the femur...... he said it was also still swollen which did concern him slightly........ he wants me to put these questions towards my surgeon when i see him in 3 weeks...... as he has his concerns about allowing me get back into contact sports
as you know im currently BANNED from nearly everything on this planet lol due to the doctors and my knee lol

i feel very frustrated right now to be honest lol, because i am getting told not to exercise it but the research says you do, im very sporty individual which is rather frustrating not being able to do sports or gym, and the fact that my knee isnt allowing me to sleep and is throbbing and i have a burning sensation is beginning to annoy me, and i feel like my kneecap is digging into my femur when i lye down if i could just have a decent sleep that would make me happy =) .....
Keeping posiitve good days and bad days always happen there is always something positive you can make out of a negative lol

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #281 on: December 30, 2014, 08:57:52 PM »
Day 229- knee seems  to be having a good day wohooo!!!!! - bruising nearly gone
So today has been a lot better my knee is finally acting normal again which is good but it still is very stiff but I can do more with it I which is a positive it's not as swollen as it has been compared to the last couple of days I see the independent doctor on Friday 2nd so he should check  it over for me and hopefully he will allow me to train the leg in the gym the heamatoma/ bruising is going now which is great :)))
So let's be positive and think things can only get better :)))))

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #282 on: December 31, 2014, 07:05:47 AM »
Day 230- opinions in mpfl reconstruction surgery  rehabilitation

So for me to begin with I was unable to a physiotherapist for 5 weeks after my surgery. One thing I have learnt is it is crucial to get a physiotherapist as soon as possible in order to get the flexion back as quickly as possible. Luckily I had a wrestling physiotherapist that I managed to get four weeks post surgery and had a gym personal trainer 6 days post surgery.
For me there is very little information avaliable to the patient, for rehabilitation techniques which for me cannot help the patient or their recovery. For me it was a case of being a guinea pig, and trial and error.
My personal trainers had to work very hard and stay with me especially in the first 6 weeks to make sure everything was going ok some things we tried didn't work but by thinking outside the box and being more open. We all learnt a lot for example trx machine in gyms and leg hamstring extension are very good ways to get flexion back but also to get the leg moving ............
For me as an athlete I preferred personal gym trainers as they kept forcing me to do more things, they pushed me to my limits but knew when I had to stop they kept testing me rather than the physiotherapist who just kept bending it and that was it.....
For me mpfl is so new as a surgery even doctors I feel are wary of what is the correct rehabilitation procedure and even more unsure of return to contact sports.... All I will say is ...prove them wrong think outside the box ..... Try your best... Try new things because by doing this we can only help other patients in the future who have mpfl reconstruction

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #283 on: December 31, 2014, 07:59:43 PM »
Day 231- end of the year review of MPFL good points v negatives
So lest weigh it all up shall we or rather look at all perspectives?

So with MPFL reconstruction from an athletes perspective it has been a long road, its been like a roller coaster its had its ups its down, its unexpected corners, its highs and lows, its grey areas, and exhilarating times, but i have finally got off the roller coaster and i feel, WOAH! that was a indescribable experience....

I think as athletes we all go in like bigging it up thinking its going to be easy because our bodies are so use to adapting to problematic situations injuries etc. So we think it will be an easy roller coaster i remember my surgeon saying yea you will be back in to weeks to work six months in contact sports....

Hmmm.... YEA RIGHT lol i think he jinxed it by saying that. Leg went to triple the size blistered hot, red blacking out with the pain and considering i land on cement etc and i'm used to pain for me to black out says something. I had to be dragged out of a bed because the pain was so much i blacked out by two pharmacists who got me out of the bed as well as a wrestling ring i blacked out......

So then i had  a DVT risk which was cleared which confused my surgeon even more by the look on his face as my leg looked terrible lol. So it was put down to an internal bleed, then my independent doctor believed it was a mix of compartment syndrome internal bleed or anthrofibrosis... as you can tell different opinions lol By this point i was extremely worried i had my promoters on my back about why my surgery was going wrong and when i would return.... Then i had to have an MUA, to be honest felt no pain with it after it lol
My next point was to PROVE medicine wrong to get the drive and get this leg moving at any cost......
all in all i probably spent around 6000 pounds on personal trainers and sports massages and physiotherapist as my wrestling phyiso and independent doctor were covered by my insurance....

It paid off by having different opinions and trying new things in the gym than the standard equipment they use for mpfl rehabilitation saw me progress at rapid rates, just by thinking outside the box........

I remember going to my hospital physio and he said we will go on the cross trainer now post 9 weeks and i said to her let me show you something i ran around the gym 8-9 weeks post surgery she looked at me in shocked i showed her i could do level 3 on the cross trainer and she was in disbelief how i had achieved the rapid rehabilitation...... she signed me off a week later but she was still shocked with the complications i had how much i had improved so quickly....... it shows never judge a book by its cover doctors lol

Even though i have had complications been hit by a taxi etc lol i would recommend this surgery to anyone sometimes its better to try the unknown than lead a life where your quality of life with a dislocating knee is not a great quality of life so i chose the unknown...........

So in a period of 9 months i lost over 9 stone of the weight i put back on due to my dislocating knee after getting the right help and someone looking at me as an athlete rather than a standard patient.... i returned to post just under 4 months post surgery rather than plus 6 months but generally for wrestling it is 8 months as its very high contact..... my plan is i want to walk into my surgeons office in the next few weeks and just want him to say well done or you have proved me wrong but the questions is will he or wont we i shall wait to find it out  .......=)) whats the bets people lol

i dont think many doctors who read this can say they have had a case like this one........

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #284 on: January 01, 2015, 07:18:05 PM »
DAY 232- independent tomorrow nervous!! - knee is so -so- positivity
So i will be seeing the independent doctor tomorrow in London he has more influence in the wrestling world than the other independent doctor i have as a back up, so i am nervous, but i just want to get back and start wrestling i am getting itchy feet...... hopefully he will sign me back in, if not im going to get annoyed lol
Im missing my second home the ring lol

My knee has been ok ish its throbbing a lot today and feeling very tight i tried lying down today but felt like my knee cap was digging into my femur so i decided to go for a long walk which helped it so fingers crossed for tomorrow.... positive vibes for tomorrow =) x