Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary  (Read 89287 times)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
Re: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary
« Reply #225 on: November 12, 2014, 10:16:20 PM »
day 188 - TAKING THE EXTREMES - trying new things-
So i started practising today i managed to lift one man on each shoulder and throw them down which was good as i felt nothing on my knee and i have felt no pain since with my knee, i also did alot of contact and alot of falls and my knee was fine-
In the gym im doing everything dead lifts, squats, lunges, burpees , mountain climbers calf raisers etc. Very easy on my knee my knee is still sore when i run but i suppose when you get hit by a taxi you will expect that lol.. Im trying to understand some moves as some pivot motions are very hard in a peculiar way like the new mpfl ligament goes mental like tries to pull too over laterally so i see the doctor in two days so i will ask him that question... i feel that i need to try things and they seek the answers to my question to help others answer their questions about mpfl in the future as there are very few answers that you can find but more and more questions about MPFL....

i FEEL this has changed my life for the better no matter the complications i have my knee feels so much stronger......

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #226 on: November 13, 2014, 07:46:57 PM »
Day 189 - intense gym - see doctor number 123456789, give it straight!
So I have been doing everything at the gym now I gave got my full flexion back after getting hit by the taxi, my life is better than normal compared to pre surgery skipping, Burpees, mountain climbers, slides . Trx moves not a problem dead lifts easy, squats easy, .....

So today I had to go to the spine clinic to get my knee checked out last time I checked my knee was lower than my spine lol, and I saw a lovely doctor, he sat me down and he said so you hAve had MPFL, MUA , DVt risk, internal bleeding within leg, you are a wrestler and you have been hit by a taxi..........
He laughed and said a few life experiences there I laughed I said it a witty dry sarcastic done listen here doc, I lift men above my head for a living I had to contact my surgeon for an mri because one if your team would not give me an mri to check if my knee is ok and my promotor would not allow me back into the ring until it was checked.... My surgeon has checked it said it's fine , I have no swelling I have full flexion and showed him , he then said I shouldn't have full flexion it's impossible and I said well I gave proved you wrong now...
He dropped his pen.....
Then I said listen I go and see my surgeon in January there is nothing else you can do for me because my surgeon has fine all the checks so I can keep throwing people out of a ring,  I'm moving I'm jumping up and down I can move my leg, I'm lifting people above my head so all you have to do is sign  the paperwork and I will be on my way, then he signed it and asked me more about the wrestling and what I had done,  he told me my case is rather unique.... And he thinks it amazing how far I gave come and proved to the doctors the impossible is possible

I replied yea I know that that's why I'm a guninea pig because I don't care I'm trying everything to see what works and what doesn't work , my main goal through this I said to him was to prove my surgeon and doctors wrong that something's not all judgements are correct and that the impossible can be achieved....... I f you tell me not to do something I will do it for sheer curiosity ......
He said he was happy to meet me and to continue what I was do as something was working well..... I said to him it's thinking outside the box which works ....... I then left he shook my hand a complete gentleman.....
It just shows sometimes as patients we can prove the medial professionals wrong through sheer determination to succeed....

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #227 on: November 14, 2014, 10:18:49 PM »
day190 (6 and a half months post surgery) sitting down with three men who had ACL, MCL AND me MPFL reconstruction understanding similarities VERY INTERESTING! - cold is seizing my knee up- finally running better again

SO TODAY in the gym i met three men one who had ACL reconstruction 5 years ago the other had MCL AND ACL reconstruction 10 years ago and the third had a PCL/ACL. It was rather interesting to sit down and talk and share our experiences,
SEVERAL IMPORTANT THINGS, we found a correlation or similarities between,

1) Cold weather- Has an effect on the knee on all of us, and also seizing sensation, which is a suggestion        its the hardware used within the surgeries,

2) Clicking and cracking- we all concluded this is part of the surgery, as they didn't have it before the surgery

3) Burning sensations / jumpy legs - we all had which is rather interesting even though we had different ligament reconstruction so could this be down to the positioning of the ligament or hardware? I think more hardware and also jumpy legs because of nerves etc.....

4) Arthritis - Both of them have developed arthritis with their surgeries and the symptoms they describe match up burning sensation tightness, seizing, one is only 44 and looks like he will be having a full knee replacement by the time he is 50, The second one is trying to hold off the knee replacement as he believes if he can hold it off for 5-10 years medical advancement will be better... as a metal joint only last up to 15 years tops now...........

5)Flexion- Everyone has had a problem with flex ion and the interesting part is im the only one to get it fully back, so the question is that is it due to the type of reconstruction people have? Or down to having the correct physiotherapist etc?

6)Doctors opinions vary- What we found was my surgeon was the most honest but there were some of them who felt that, there wasn't even information given to them, the question we all asked was how honest should a doctor be, or how can we have the answers to our questions is even the doctor doest know the answer, the answer we all agreed on was try it and test it because everyones case in unique

So after speaking with them it has made me think and i looked into it further in the aspects of longer term care of knee ligament reconstruction does this prove, that by sitting down with patients correlations can be seen across the board? Why has no research been done in this manner? For me my surgery has helped me gain control of my knee and has given me back my life, but then when you look at the descriptions these gentleman have told me about there is still things to be learnt in the art of knee ligament reconstruction, and the only way it can be improved by us trying it ourselves and testing the joint....

I am now running again which is good but my knee today has completely seized up today the temperature was very cold where i live today now i can barley move it oh well lol a hot water bottle it is lol Sometimes with any surgery you have to expect some form of complications or some sort of sacrifice
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 07:05:45 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #228 on: November 15, 2014, 07:19:44 PM »
day 191- lifted two men - jumped from a ladder - went on a bike for two hours feel awed!
So today i had a match i lifted one man on each shoulder and threw them down, which was great as my knee did not react at all, i then after a lot of time with the wrestling physiotherapist changing up my pivots and movements i jumped from a ladder in the ring and my knee was fine and then i did a two hour bike ride so things seem to be back in place - dare i mention the word normal lol

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #229 on: November 16, 2014, 08:17:34 PM »
day-190 knee having normal day - gyming it -  have nerve issue
Ok so my knee is acting normal today wohooo!!!!! I have be gyming it while it is good but i have one problem
that im unsure of HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE NERVES TO HEAL?
Because i get nerve pain down my leg to my foot and sometimes my knee with just go numb when i wrestle and i cant feel it and there has been not pressure put on the joint, and its unexpected i can cope with it but does anyone know how long it takes nerves to heal?

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #230 on: November 18, 2014, 07:42:30 PM »
Day 191- new stretch techniques  for mpfl - 100 burpees whoop!!!
So today I managed to do 100 burpeees which was amazing my knee kept going !!!!! I was so proud to do it as I had never been able to even do 10 burpeees before the surgery because my knee dislocated that much...
My personal trainer has come up with new stretching the mpfl ligament and it seems to be working......
I feel really strong :)))))) now my sports massage therapist is earning on imbolizations skills to make it flex even more and to stop it seizing up.......

Day 192- annoying wrestlers - the Achilles weakness - mpfl workouts - sports massage interesting
So I was tearing with a wrestler when I tried to pivot in a certain way and a wrestler go in my way and I landed in such a way that I buggered up my left foot, in fact Achilles tendinitis I now have got in my non surgical leg so I'm not allowed to run so while im giving my other leg a rest we are concentrating on my mpfl leg and firing up the vmo and gleuts as I still have some atrophy in the quad from the surgery......
And we are doing a lot of flexion......... And resistance techniques to build it up.......
I had my sports massage therapist say my IT bands which is the side of the thigh is really tight and that won't help the knee she released it and the pain was mental but after my leg felt so much more easier.... Then I has shin splints ...... And she noticed my mpfl  leg my foot was still turning outwards lol so I have to work on it lol
Just my luck..... Lol..... Things can only get better!!!!

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #231 on: November 19, 2014, 08:23:05 PM »
day 193 - Mpfl LEG IS VERY HAPPY! =)  no pain nothing !!
so Post 193 days i have the feeling of a normal leg back dare i say it lol I have had no pain in it considering its taking alot of weight from my left leg to give my achilles a rest =) It seems a lot better now than it did before the surgery i'm lifting 20 kg more on my leg now than pre surgery and i'm a lot fitter which is great.......
Im running alot better, im pivoting a lot better which is great =)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #232 on: November 19, 2014, 09:00:16 PM »
MPFL A LESSON LEARNT FOR DOCTORS? WHAT CAN BE LEARNED IF YOUR A DOCTOR WHO DEALS WITH MPFL READING THIS IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO HEAR YOUR OPINION =)))

So as an athlete if i walked in and said "yea i had this problem since i was 16 my knee would dislocate they put me into a cast for several weeks to stop it from dislocating, it kept dislocating throughout the next 10 years they i had a bad accident in the wrestling and my knee completely dislocated and now I'm gaining weight because its so unstable."

However the first doctor i saw said " It's your weight and your VMO" i replied i lift men above my head for a living i would not be able to do that if my leg was strong." I was then referred to physiotherapy. This doctor i saw was a very senior high doctor who ordered an MRI........

Physiotherapist baffled why my knee keeps dislocating as well as my physiotherapist and personal trainer and activities including wrestling getting harder due to the continuous dislocations and sublaxtions.... this lasted nearly 6 months

Doctor number two a rather stuck up doctor, who seemed to think he knew everything lol .Again gave him the same history as the last doctor again blamed weight and VMO " I said i can lift a man above my head my VMO is fine i could lift you quite easily right now to prove a point, he laughed then i replied you think its funny putting in over 30 dislocations and not being able to fully wrestle and my weight gain is rapid?"
Again back to physiotherapy.....

Physiotherapy again 3 months - again baffled to why it was dislocating in front of me and referred me back to the doctors AGAIN!! lol

Doctor number 3 !  I GET MYSELF READY FOR THE WORD BMI, VMO etc lol ....... This doctor i saw was a young doctor who had just qualified, he actually listened to me and he saw their was a problem with the movement of my knee cap......he said to me why hasn;t anyone referred you to a surgeon this has been going on for over a year? " I REPLIED YOU TELL ME your the doctor..." hE SAID "Judging by your accident and past history i think you have torn ligaments in your knee and i am referring you to a surgeon! He asked me completely different questions compared to the first two doctors

wait another 3 months for the appointment to see the surgeon......

The big boy - The surgeon lol
spoke with him he did not judge me on my weight he judge me on my history and sport, and even he asked me how am i still training on that knee? I replied dunno by this point i had given up alot of hope on doctors because of lack of diagnosis, i tried to explain to the surgeon i just kept going on wrestling as much as i could then he told me i had torn my MPFL, HE COULD SEE IT ON MY MRI from 6 MONTHS AGO!! Then i had the surgery 3 months later, that surgeon had basically saved my life and given me hope and my knee back again....

My frustrating point as an athlete is in wrestling you need to be big! simple! if im going to lift two men one on each shoulder and slam them down i need to weight bare.... Also BMI is so old now that it was created post war, but now everyone is built differently so shouldn't doctors be looking at the proportion of the build of the body and actual waist size rather than a code called BMI that is over 70 years old?!

Second if you know i am an athlete, then why does a doctor not look at an athletes injury as a traumatic injury, and not use other ways to assess the athlete? or is it down to inexperience with doctors treating athletes? How could a tear be missed on an MRI by a senior doctor, i find it funny lol how i saw two senior doctors who teach doctors and they did not spot it but it was one of their students that did lol

You would think the most experienced doctor would spot a problem with the MPFL rather than a just qualified doctor trained by them lol........

So with my treatment it took 1 year and 7 months to get to the point of surgery... My point is with athletes its important to make sure everything has been checked as timing is key, because if you tell me that my knee is fine i will carrying on lifting men throwing them out of a ring and flying into the crowd lol
But then the added question is how much damage have i done to my knee which could have been stopped? if the right diagnosis had been made at the correct time? by just thinking outside the box or asking a different question......

I must admit though my surgeon has been great i have lost the excess weight i put on as a result of the instability of the knee and he has answered all my questions and gave me hope at a time when i had lost all hope in doctors when your an athlete you are aware of when someone is wrong in your body because it reacts in such a way there are certain signals..... My surgeon put his faith in the fact that it was affecting my life and i could barely exercise by that point.... So by me losing the excess weight and being a lot fitter now and had no dislocations it proves my knee MPFL reconstruction was the best decision.....

If it wasnt for that young doctor who had just qualified i think i would still be in a different place....

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #233 on: November 22, 2014, 09:24:38 PM »
day 194- old weather issues- when to stop writing this diary - seizing up
So today i have noticed my knee hasn't been happen had to take a dicoflenix painkiller, and it also has been seizing up which hasn't helped i have to expect some form of pain when you have screws in your knee which aren't suppose to be there.......... so i haven't been able to do a lot of exercise

I have decided when i see my surgeon in end of January who better sign me off lol or i will scream lol i will stop writing it at that point and then update on a quartly yearly basis...... I just hope this diary has been useful to people so far on MPFL and i hope doctor physiotherapist and patients alike have found this to be helpful =)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #234 on: November 24, 2014, 08:48:34 PM »
day 195 My thoughts on MPFL reconstruction
So my friend asked me to describe the whole journey of an MPFL reconstruction i said to her in two words
"Roller coaster" Its had its ups and down, it bends, its corners,but the ride has finally finished and come to a stop and i can get off and walk away normally from it all with my head held up high and think "wow i survived that i can do that ride again if i'm forced to, i survived."

Mpfl has changed my life in so many ways, i have lost a lot of weight as my knee is now stable today i managed to do 150 burpees which is AMAZING! I Believe though that there is still a lot to learn as i feel my treatment could have been quicker if the orthopaedic doctors understood more of MPFL ligament/ knee dislocations or took into account my sport or in other words to THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX.....
Is it that hard to ask a different question in order to obtain the correct diagnosis for the patient.

I was glad when i fund my surgeon, as i finally had hope that i wasn't going mad and there was a reason for my dislocations happening, and when the three doctors before him blamed everything else rather than look outside the box it was easy to lose hope with doctors.........

MPFL + MUA + DVT SCARE+ COMPARTMENT SYNDROME+ OVERSCARRING + A VEIN BLEEDING CAUSING LEG TO SWELL = HARD TIMES....+ HARD WORK + STUBBORNESS+ DETERMINATION = PROVE DOCTORS WRONG lol =)))

Yes i had a lot of complications even thinking back now i think my surgeon was baffled with the size of my leg and blisters, BUT IT WAS WORTH IT, the pain the tears, the jumpy legs, the frustration, the canulars lol, the celaxane in the stomach, and going to the gym on crutches...... i now have stability.....

PEOPLE who have had MPFL reconstruction you suffer from years of dislocations or sublxations and it gets worse and worse, so what is normal for you as in daily or weekly dislocations, then you have MPFL reconstruction and now for the first time you are classed as normal lol because there is no  fear of running and your knee slamming down and you having to put it back in....

THIS SURGERY GIVES YOU HOPE, AND THE ABILITY TO BE SECURE AND LIVE A NORMAL LIFE =)

I think though there is so much i have learnt about the rehabilitation of MPFL THAT there is a lot more things doctors and physiotherapist can learn, to increase the rate of recovery,

I would say to anyone who is going to have MPFL surgery... DO IT........ because you will have stability back and you will feel content in life again......

The first few weeks are the hardest but then you will look back and think it was worth it =)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #235 on: November 25, 2014, 07:45:58 PM »
Day 1960- post mpfl reconstruction knee picture
As you can tell all the bruising is gone from getting hit by that taxi wohooo!!

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #236 on: November 27, 2014, 08:58:34 PM »
day 197- More lunges, and squats- stretching the ligament -tightness
So i have been working out on stretching the ligament to see if it will get rid of the
Tightness i still find after sitting down for three hours i have to get up because my knee is screaming at me to move, so i have to get up still and move around very stiff, so i have time at my work called "knee time"2 lol to get my leg moving.. so i have been working on stretching the ligament more, which is proving annoying and boring lol because you have to do the same exercises over and over and when your an athlete you start to get easily frustrated..... But hopefully it will ease the pain or my surgeon will get some words AGAIN in january lol

Day 198- Stiff knee- cold weather - frustrating
So my knee is stiff again because of the weather i feel and my knee has swollen up...... under the desk it has been doing the same today feeling its on fire and tight and i have had to get up a few times, at some points i couldnt walk i just had to stand and wiggle and rather hope that will sort it lol Sometimes it is rather frustrating because i want to keep going but sometimes my knee just says NO..... so its like your body stops you and you get into a position where, it is trail and error and move on and just get on with it lol

day 199- Heat therapy - stiffness - keep going- sleep issues
So after still having stiffness for a few days now which again i feel is for the cold weather that heat therapy was used now to see if that would improve it and to be honest it has which is a good thing.... which has brought down the swelling........ I still keep going the last few days has been hard but i think it has been for a change of the weather... and i have found even at night right now i can only sleep in certain positions as in some my knee reacts big time and i have to change position..... i think sometimes i forget i am nearly 200 days post surgery which is nearly 7 months post surgery....... and that the body is still healing maybe its me in my athlete way of thinking and maybe i just nee to rest the knee.........

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #237 on: November 29, 2014, 11:32:02 PM »
Day 200- heels with mpfl - stiff - keep going
So wearing heels with mpfl is interesting as you find your knee likes it for so while then as soon as you
Take off the heels your knee throbs and starts going mental lol my knee currently hates me lol
I think flats for future reference lol..... I'm already 6ft tall so I doing need them really lol
My knee is getting a lot stiffer with the cold weather coming in its harder to move the joint
I suppose keep on going...,,,

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #238 on: November 30, 2014, 08:03:24 PM »
day 200- Relaxing knee good- no pain wohooo!!
So today has been a good day it has seized up i have had a little pain in the new Mpfl ligament but there is not much i can do i can deal with it it is more like a throbbing pain but cannot do anything about that lol
I didnt go to the gym today as i have a friend from Germany, the weather is getting colder but im feeling the hardware more now.............so just chillin all day =)

day 201- WTH cant get out of bed- loss of feeling - trail and error to get it back
So today wasnt expecting this to happen, tried to get up out of bed but my knee just seized up and i couldnt get myself up, it was quite funny, my German friend is staying with me and she found it funny how i keep trying to get up but my knee gave up and went back down, i tried to get up for the third time with no success. So i got my friend to help me with some heat therapy as it was a cold night to sleep last night so i got a hot water bottle..... put that on it tried  again and my knee gave way and fell back onto the bed........
So frustration started to sink in lol so i text my wrestling physio and my personal trainer to ask for help to get me out of bed lol and walk..... So then say said use your resistance bands see if they will help get the joint moving so did then tried to get up.... fifth time being an hour later tried to get up and my knee again locked gave way a little then i lost feeling in my knee ... and then fell back onto the bed......... so then i rang a pharmacist i know and asked for advice as DOCTORS DONT WORK ON SUNDAYS ;p and i dont want to sit waiting in A and E............ so she told me to take two types of medications to see if that would help and wait for 40 minutes for it to work........... SO Sixth time i get up and i managed to get up..... but my knee was very stiff, shaky and not happy i had to have a stick to hold onto the first hour to get myself going..... Maybe my knee was having a bad day lol its still not great like 8 hours later but it just shows trial and error process of MPFL you have a bad day now and again but the good days make up for it =)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #239 on: December 02, 2014, 04:41:58 PM »
Day 202- went flying - whole leg tight - hilarious lol
So today I worked out in the gym I went walking down a street to work and all of a sudden I dunno my knee extended way too back then overruled forward and I lost complete control of my joint it felt so weak maybe the signs were there over the last few days...... I  went flying on my arse and had major pain in the ligament  I thought oh great just my luck lol I heard a crack noise before I fell but I managed to get up after 5 tries... So after a couple of hours my whole leg has went tight even my calf is tight and my knee isn't feeling stable so I had decided to use an old support band to keep it stable for a few days till the knee settles this is so hilarious it's getting or becoming stupid lol.......... My knee is currently now swollen and it's flexes in weird ways I refuse to go yo a doctor because they know nothing about mpfl lol :) let's just get it better my way I think :)

support