Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary  (Read 89309 times)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
Re: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary
« Reply #180 on: October 12, 2014, 06:11:50 PM »
DAY 153- LESSONS TO BE LEARNT AND I LEARNT FROM MPFL RECONSTRUCTION SURGERY

So i thought this would be a good round up for those who are seeking information or rather looking for information regarding MPFL reconstruction surgery... The reason why i have also done a DAILY dairy is for people to better understand and what to expect from the surgery..but like i have said before everyone is different and we all heal in different ways.........

MPFL reconstruction surgery as for me was rather "STORMY" as my surgeon described it...... and the start of the surgery i got really frustrated with myself not being able to do things.. the Surgery made me realise the following
1) how low some objects are like toilets chairs and its hard to get down to that level with MPFL surgery
so adapt your surrounding sif you can i go a chair on wheels which goes up and down
2) Be Patient- IT's frustrating not to be able to do things but time heals
3)MPFL reconstruction surgery expect bizarre sensations like jumping leg, nerve pain it will go in time
4) The quicker you move the better increased recovery , work with your leg rather than against it
5) SKIN- vaseline intensive care the first few weeks then it goes
6)Medications- the sooner you get off them the better you will feel, and less spaced out
7) Trust what your body is telling you.. My leg went massive and swollen luckily enough the MUA operation resolved the issue........

NOW MOVING ON TO DOCTORS AND PHYSIOS WHAT CAN THEY LEARN??

As an athlete for me i don't like to have a physiotherapist who is soft with me, for me as an athlete i want to be pushed i feel rubbish enough as it is just push me so i can recover quicker, so what i am saying is always ask for different opinions and seek what your comfortable with and what physiotherapist works best with you my wrestling physiotherapist pushed me and understood better how to treat me being an athlete and i recovered a lot quicker so don't be afraid to ask other people.

Doctors......  A nice big smile first  ;D it creates a better feeling for a patient who is already going through a lot sometimes a smile can go a long way  ;D Never feel afraid to ask questions or seek answers from the surgeon who did your surgery as because there is so little information on MPFL surgery what else can we go by ????
Some doctors if you don't have the answer to my question then say so... don't give a patient a silence or a smile because it wont help anyone by not being honest....... From an athletes point of view i need as much information as possible with valid answers because i need to feed it back to my physiotherapist etc.....
Some doctors not all your banging your head against a brick wall because they don't know what MPFL surgery is or they lack the experience in knowing what it is when you have to explain it to them and they reply at you with a grissly look lol............ so make sure as a patient you have as much knowledge to pass on to these doctors who don't know what the surgery is...........
I must admit my surgeon and this registrar who he taught have given me a lot of information about this surgery which has helped me to get better quicker.......
Also some doctors underestimate personal trainers in a gym i have had two helping me and i feel i have recovered a lot quicker with their help and they have got me through the complications quicker... even my wrestling physio wants to know how i managed to get back to training post four months after MPFL surgery dvt risk, and AN MUA he normally sees them back post 7-8 months, which makes me even prouder of what i have achieved with the personal trainers

This surgery for me has been a case of trial and error to see what works and what doesn't  due to the lack of information available i have learnt a lot from it myself and how its important to have determination to get through the stormy points....

BUT THIS SURGERY HAS GIVEN ME MY LIFE BACK AND HAS SAVED MY LIFE, I HAVE HAD NO DISLOCATIONS OR SUB LAXTIONS I GOT BACK INTO COMPETITIVE CONTACT SPORTS POST 4 AND A HALF MONTHS AFTER SURGERY A LOT EARLIER THAN MOST SURGEONS WOULD GIVE FOR AN ATHLETE TO RETURN TO SPORTS..... I FEEL AFTER HAVING OVER 35 DISLOCATIONS/SUBLAXTIONS AT THE START OF THE YEAR I NOW FEEL MY KNEE IS READY FOR ANYTHING =))) THE STORMS IN THIS SURGERY WERE WORTH RIDING FOR WHAT I HAVE NOW =))

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #181 on: October 13, 2014, 07:39:54 PM »
day 155- knee acting up with cold - but fine when warm-  very active now
So today my knee has been acting up with the cold and throbbing where the screws are which to be honest i expect as metal is not normal in the body and metal against cold generally does get cold, i still get some throbbing sensations but then i just rest it but to be honest ...

Im very active lost a lot of weight with this surgery which is a benefit because i can do more things than i did before, i can now run after my three year old nephew when he decides to go running away on his mini marathon lol i now have no problems with the stepper or rower i feel glad that i dont get frustrated  watching people doing this that i couldn't i look back at my diary i think there is so much i have come through and so much i have achieved and even suprised doctors .......

I just want to say to those who are going through MPFL reconstruction SURGERY there is big positives at the end just ride the storms and you will see the life changing things that can happen with this surgery =)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #182 on: October 14, 2014, 08:16:52 PM »
Day 156- resting knee pushed it too much - knee picture mpfl reconstruction

So I pushed my knee abit too much so I have rested it as it is swollen as you can tell from the picture and  I have to understand that my knee is still getting better after surgery so it got abit swollen so I'm being good and rest it and listen to it as I went for a run in the cold and my knee seized up and it got really tight  so I'm hoping it's just the cold weather that has effected it so rest is needed :)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #183 on: October 15, 2014, 07:58:16 PM »
day 157- taking it easy- working upper body sitting down- throbbing- sharp pains
so my knee is still throbbing today and especially in the new tendon so i have rested  legs again today i have also decided today that i would just do upper body workouts sitting down, working out biceps triceps, deltoids chest etc my knee is giving me a few sharp pains down to my foot which i suspect is the nerves healing themselves i have found the sensation around my knee hasn't returned yet my physio in the wrestling said this could take up to 10 months in some cases if not i wont get it back.......
So hopefully by resting it and listening to my knee it should subside......

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #184 on: October 16, 2014, 08:25:39 PM »
day 158- sports massage- legs more relaxed less swelling

so today to try to sort out my knee and legs i had a sports massage and it was good i did i had over 8 muscle masses in my legs which is a muscle which has gotten too tight and formed into a ball which  protrudes , my abductors and my medial inner side of my legs have compartment syndrome and some masses....... OH JOY lol so i got a few massages to go to help my legs and they feel amazing now less tight my knee is still swollen but not as bad as it was a couple of days ago.....
The cold is really affecting my knee now it gets very stiff and i am just dealing with it day by day and trying to keep it warm... my wrestling physio / independent doctor have told me to rest my leg.... to make sure its rested the only thing they want me to to in the gym is upper body sitting down... id ont see my main surgeon until Januray.... so i am following their advice.... better to be safe......... i know its frustrating but i just have to suck it up and rest lol ............

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #185 on: October 17, 2014, 08:58:34 PM »
Cold weather effecting knee- stiffness - help from physio
So today I sucked it up and went back to my wrestling physio for advice I had been doing really well until the last few days for me to seek advice my wrestling physio knows generally something is wrong because I just generally keep carrying on and deal with things mentally.........
I have found since the weather has dropped and gotten colder my knee has become stiffer and sorer which does not help while training he has advised me to rest it a few more days take it easy but also to keep the joint warm as it could be the hardware reacting to the cold etc.....
I feel it throbbing quite a lot over the past few days and very stiff so I keep massaging it to help but but as soon as I walk outside in the cold it goes stiff very quickly........
So I'm going to try to find ways to keep it warm and see what will help it :)))

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #186 on: October 18, 2014, 06:50:34 PM »
Day-160 - knee and hot showers - knee cold and hot working - throbbing -cold weather with mpfl reconstruction

I just find it bizarre I'm find having very hot showers is helping my knee and stopping it from swelling and then it doesn't like it then I have to change it for hot and cold presses will my knee just make up it's mind lol the throbbing has got worse with the cold...... So I'm working between both ideas whatever works with my knee is the most important thing.....

I suppose it's like working with your knee rather than against it........ My scars are looking good turning pink now instead of red but the ones they ripped on the MUA have remained bruised and very red and not changed for 3 months so it should go I hope in the next 6 months :)))))))

My personal trainer and physio is seeking advice on things to keep my knee warm they have found some alternative knee bandage which keeps your knee warm which I think I'm gonna try as we all know from mpfl reconstruction it's all trail and error you have to try........

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #187 on: October 19, 2014, 06:45:05 PM »
day 161- bad night vey bad!- knee refusing to do anything !!
So last night had a bad night my knee kept waking me up during the night about 80 percent of the positions were just not comfortable enough... then the throbbing started and the fire sensation, came back so i forced myself to take some medication that did not work either i felt every single hardware my new ligament was throbbing and the screws in m knee cap felt like they were about to burst out of it..... in the end i managed to get myself to sleep after a few tears...

i have never had my knee felt this bad since post surgery i dunno what is going on with it...... it kept seizing up when i just when to get some vegetables from the supermarket... im beginning to feel a little frustrated as im resting it and not pushing it and its doing the complete opposite of what it should be doing

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #188 on: October 19, 2014, 10:00:15 PM »
Day 161- knee stil swollen....... Hmmmm. .... Mpfl reconstruction

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #189 on: October 20, 2014, 07:20:07 PM »
Day 162 - ( 6 and a half post months) post mpfl reconstruction....
What have i learned through MPFL surgery........
- Dont ever believe what a surgeon says 100 percent lol i mean it in the best possible way my surgeon said i would never get my full flex ion back and i have, the body is capable of doing so many things that only you will know.

- Post 12 weeks the rate of recovery is two fold it accelerates rather quickly, if you get through those first 12 weeks then its easy from there

- Know your limits sometimes you just have to suck it up and rest it, i sometimes believe as an athlete yea its only MPFL SURGERY BUT i forget that the body needs its time to rest and heal and the fact that my femur and knee cap now have rather large screws in.......

- Turn your frustrations into determination into your physiotherapist and you will see greater success

- MPFL surgery is trial and error and about finding your way of doing things and getting yourself back on track the diaries did help by giving me some information but for me as i said to my surgeon we are guinea pigs with MPFL SURGERY it is still in its early days, do what you think you can do when your body feels like its telling you to do it only you know when is the right time to try something... There is not much information to go on MPFL surgery so research as much as you can and just keep trying ..........

- Personal trainers in the gym who are qualified to level 4 rehab or greater i found to get me back on my feet quicker than the actual physiotherapist, i found my body responded a lot quicker with their help and i got back into sports quicker i think the medical profession underestimate personal trainers in the gyms but i must admit mine have proved my surgeon wrong already lol

-SPORTS MASSAGE THERAPIST - great i must say massages by qualified people were amazing it hurt but my word my performance my training got a lot better as my legs were not as tight and i found it helped my knee a lot as well and stopped it from going stiff

- Get yourself decent shoes for me i chose NIKE AIR MAX 2014 they were worth ever penny post surgery my knee felt no pressure when walking and even training my knee has been fine with.... you will find choosing the right footwear is the best benefit..........

- MPFL surgery is complicated but it had given me my life back i had over 30 dislocations at the start of the year now i have had none im running im back in the ring i have more control the pain has well be worth it the only question i have now is how long does an MPFL RECONSTRUCTION LAST?

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #190 on: October 21, 2014, 07:41:26 PM »
Day 163- knee finally less swollen - training - can't sleep still
So for the past couple of nights I cannot find a comfortable position I have now tried everything and I don't know what can be causing it.... I'm just confused when I do find a good position and I sleep I wake up with massive pain as my knee has moved position.... Frustrating is not the word lol
My knee is less swollen so I have done light training on it yo keep the leg active and not push it which is good and this surgery is good because now that my knee is stable the weight is falling off me

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #191 on: October 23, 2014, 05:17:08 AM »
Day 164- knee settling- still some sleeping issues -
So my knee has settled abit since the temperature has gone up during the day
Which is good but my knee still likes to wake me up half way or several times during the night
I'm hoping it's just the hardware acting to the cold feeling abit tired since it has been waking me up a lot I have tried hot water bottle cold pressed and they don't work thinking of trying arnica gel next
As we use that in the wrestling for many things fingers crossed but my training is back to normal which is a good sign

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #192 on: October 23, 2014, 07:31:27 PM »
day 165 - knee has now settled - lifting tractor tyres- back into the gym - still sleeping issues
So today my knee has settles with having the extras massages i think has helped alot im now flipping tractor tyres to help my leg gain strength with my wrestling physio, mental i know but its a good way to release your frustration lol..... im back in the gym training again but going light and watching how the knee reacts....
I get some nerve pains still but that can be up to one year post surgery i have been told and sleeping i still cant find a comfortable position which is frustrating as it wakes me up still...............

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #193 on: October 25, 2014, 07:04:18 PM »
day-166 saving a tourist- knee screaming - annoyed  :-[
So today as my knee was feeling a lot better i went to london oxford circus to shop. BIG MISTAKE!! i saw a tourist taking a random picture in the road then i saw a taxi the taxi was coming at him he had his earphones in!! so couldnt hear!! so i pushed him out out the way to stop him getting hit and GUESS WHAT!! he took me down with him front facing and my mpfl knee was the one that took the major hit on the knee right on the knee cap !!! and the tourist was fine but shocked even the taxi driver got out to check if i was ok and started shouting at the tourist for standing in the middle of the road and the whole embarrasing thing was i had a few men help me up which was nice in the busiest street in london !! My knee cracked and the pain was immense i could barely walk the tourist was crying luckily may fate have it there was an orthopedic sister nurse who said are you ok i'm a nurse i could barely walk and i told her what happened with the taxi driver and they both said bad luck for you today isnt it the taxi driver offered to take me to the accident and emergency to get it checked out as my knee was swelling up at an alarming rate... but all i wanted to do was go home and cryocuff my knee im thinking about going to get it checked as i cant barley walk now.......... so i currently have two gashed elbows and hands and my left non operated leg the whole quadricep is covered in a massive bruise and my mpfl reconstruction knee is swollen up a lot .... The tourist when i left him had settled down but why would you stand in the middle of a road in central London???  I refuse to save people now lol  so im currently sitting here with a cryocuff on my knee after being given medication by a pharmacist wondering what to do .......... i could seriously vent some frustration right now......... dont know whats best to do :/ go to accident and emergency and have a doctor go oh whats mpfl surgery and tell him how to do his job and what to check or b) wait till tomorrow and see how it is .........

Offline kcknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #194 on: October 26, 2014, 03:28:46 AM »
That is so unfair that someone else's carelessness has possibly set your recovery back. I really hope that it doesn't turn out to be anything serious, but with your profession, I think you should get it checked out as soon as you can. It doesn't make it any easier, but you know you did the right thing doing such a brave selfless act, and know that even if you knew you would land on your knee you would save the man again.

Please let us know how your knee is when you get it checked out. We are all so used to serious injuries and surgeries that our minds automatically head there, but I am hoping that you will catch a break and this won't be a major setback.

Kristin
12/31/08 - Skiing injury L knee
6/1/09 - ACL stump removed from joint
8/31/09 - ACLr - Hamstring Graft
12/21/09 - Ant Fasciotomy 
8/26/10 - Anterior Interval Release
12/6/10, 5/5/11, 12/22/11 - Fasciotomy
12/7/12 - Nerve Decompression
6/3/13(m), 7/29/13(l), 12/13/13(m & foot) 2/3/14(l) Fasciotomy

support