Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary  (Read 89297 times)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
Re: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary
« Reply #165 on: September 26, 2014, 09:43:31 PM »
Day 137- rubbing sensation - soreness - massage
So today my knee feels like a rubbing burning sensation in my knee , it feels sore today so I have been taking it easy but I got a massage on it and it seemed to help.........

Another thing that is weird.... Is like when your on a bike you feel the ligament moving and it feels so odd lol I have to get use to it but it is so weird even my trainer felt it and found it weird lol..........

My scars are still quite red and the side one is still bruised but in time it should get better I hope :)))))

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #166 on: September 27, 2014, 04:12:24 PM »
day 138- rubbing sensation - ran for over an hour today =)) - no sublaxtions or dislocations =))

so still got the burning rubbing sensation today- just get on with it but a good thing was i ran for an hour today which was amazing as before the surgery i couldnt even run for 25 minutes before my knee would dislocate, i have had no dislocations or sublxations which is a great feeling you feel you have your freedom back to do what you want without having to worry about oh is my knee gonna go???

My plan is next year i want to do the REEBOK SPARTAN RACE  at complete all three races.....as an ending to this journey AROOOOO!!!

Because i feel determination is what strives you to succeed and when you succeed you should always have a goal or objective at the end of that road and begin fresh and trust me the MPFL road has been a crazy rollercoaster lol =)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #167 on: September 28, 2014, 07:49:10 PM »
day 139- running for 1hour 20 minutes on the machine =p , knee feel strong, BACK IN WRESTLING RING!, Opinion of my surgeon.....

so today has been a positive day ran for ages i have had no swelling in my knee which is great news... today my knee has felt its strongest which for me finally i feel there is a sense of being normal after 10 years of a dislocating knee...... =) i got into a wrestling ring and managed to do some moved and i cried but smiled because considering how far i have come through and going from just over 4 months to being back in the ring and practising i feel like im back at home....

It sounds strange but when your an athlete in certain areas and your injured you miss so many things of that sport... for me i missed the fans, the smell of the ropes the vibrations of the wrestling ring, the feeling of strength and agility ..... the pride in helping others and the adrenaline rush.........

Now it feels like everything is coming back into place..... im working with my wrestling physio for my last 7-10  matches before i hang up my boots to help me change my movements etc,  so that it wont affect the leg... i have hope i have agility again and i finally have my pride back, because what the surgeon has done has saved my life and given me my life back again, i no longer worry about dislocations i can run for 6-7 miles with a trainer watching the sunrise which i havent been able to do in a long time..... life is coming together......... =))

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #168 on: September 30, 2014, 08:19:36 PM »
day 140 - deep lunges very deep =/ - knee is hyperflexing too much-  preparing

so today we worked on very deep lunges, my word my quads i can feel them now it was hard to get out of bed with them lol...... my knee i have been noticing over the past few days has been hyperflexing too much backwards its a weird feeling but im taking it easy with it to so if will ease.... i also preparing in the enxt few days to start practicing with the wrestlers, feel a bit nervous but everyone does.......... when going back into sport

Day 141- gave gift to physio - running running - time to rest
so today i gave a gift to the physio as a thank you but i think as i'm the first full on athlete they have dealt with they are wary of me returning to the wrestling and want to see how my leg performs as there has been no research done on athletes on contact sports returning to something like wrestling and them seem interested to see what happens i have now decided im a guniea pig lol !!so after that i went for a long run to clear my head.... then i decided it was time to rest my need as it was hyper flexing backwards again lol..... and i still get the burning pain maybe its the anchors who knowws pffff lol

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #169 on: October 01, 2014, 09:04:02 PM »
day 142 - hyperextension of knee - no swelling- gyming it !!

so my knee has been going backwards on itself like rolling back quite alot i dunno why so i am working on  to strengthen my quads more to see if that helps it because its happening a bit too much...... i have no swelling i am going to the gym as usual i feel so free now that i can do so much more post surgery than i could before this is the strongest i have felt my knee in a long time

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #170 on: October 02, 2014, 08:09:24 PM »
Day 143++++++++++ knee picture post mpfl surgery

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #171 on: October 03, 2014, 07:29:30 PM »
day 144- achievements so far in Mpfl reconstruction
I have achieved so far
actual match ( post 20 weeks) went ok ish
weight lifting on legs increased by 12kg ( post 20 weeks)
bike 1 hour ( post 19 weeks)
survived two hour personal training session non stop (post 18 weeks)
lifting 100kg on shoulders ( post 17 weeks)
ran 6k ( 16.5 weeks)
wrestling in the ring practising ( 16 weeks)
running at 13.5 on the running machine (15 weeks)
running 5 miles outside ( 15 weeks)
squatting/lunges with 30kg in each hand ( post 15 weeks)
-lifting 150kg leg pres ( 14 weeks)
-running outside 4 miles (14/13  weeks)
- Lifting 140kg on leg press (12 weeks)
-squatting with men on shoulder ( 12 weeks)
- running 75 days post surgery( 10 weeks)
- lifting 120kg on my legs post surgery ( 8 weeks-9weeks)
- running up stairs (post 8 weeks)
- skipping jumping, ( post 8 weeks)
- squats lunges, lunges with dumbells 20kg) post (7 weeks)
-free weight lifting, lifting weight onto my shoulders with squats post

So as you can see i have achieved a lot in the time i have had considering i have had the mpfl, MUA, DVT risk, compartment syndrome, and some over scarring, i sit here happy considering what i have been through there is some things i have learnt........

Flex ion/ loss of flex ion can be problematic in wrestling as you need the flex ion, it is fine in a day to day occurance but in the sport it can be harder for full performance..... but i am glad i'm hanging up my boots in a few matches.......  i think in all MPFL surgeries people should be made aware of the loss of flex ion which can happen as it can be very important to someone but i am determined to get my flex ion back and prove my surgeon wrong because naturally i'm determined and competitive of character i never see one challenge as impossible only the individual can strive to succeed through their own willingness to succeed......

I have had no dislocations, no sublaxations after a 10 year journey of problems with this knee i now have more confidence in this knee... i run very early in the morning and watch the sunrise i have lost a bunch of weight by my knee being able to keep itself together.......

MPFL surgery in a way has help me to succeed in so many ways, it had its ups and downs after the surgery because of all the complications but for me, i have my life back again..... i can put up with the slight loss of flexion and hardware rubbing because its better than have a knee that constantly dislocated and suffer a knee replacement by the time im 45 ...............

The other thing i learnt is the rarity of this surgery i asked several people i know who are great doctors and physios alike and a small few have heard of it... so for me mpfl SURGERY is not just life changing but it is also a learning process for the people involved to see what they can learn to improve techniques of rehab and so on.... I decided to give my physiotherapist from the hospital a copy of my training diary and i said i hope this helps you gain ideas or new research into helping people with MPFL  because the more information we can give as a patient the more it will only help  others in the future who have mpfl surgery, my physiotherapist said she would as i was the first athlete she had dealt with and they were interested why i recovered so quick after so many complications......

Finally it is down to the individual, be strong be determined and just listen to your body because you are the person who will get through it bit by bit...... you can be as strong as you want to be ...=)) have courage to test it but know your limits...=))

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #172 on: October 04, 2014, 07:00:10 PM »
day 145 - throbbing and pain - burning rubbing sensation - time to rest
SO TODAY has been a day where you get frustrated because  my leg is slightly swollen and refusing to do anything today, its throbbing painful and the rubbing sensation is there.... so i feel slightly frustrated because im an athletic person.......

I tried to stop the pain with ibuprofen it didnt work so i spoke to my sister who is a pharmacist who told me to wait for 8 hours and try another medication which i tried it has taken away the throbbing but not the pain which leads me to think is it the hardware which is the pain side? and ice doesnt hep it which is really weird and considering i dont see my surgeon for the final check up until January no point in even going to a doctor about it because all they do is look at you blankly..... just get on with it i suppose lol

so today i decided just to sit down and do upper body workout on my chest, deltoids , triceps and biceps and obliques...... that will vent it all out ..........

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #173 on: October 05, 2014, 07:07:48 PM »
day 146- weather change isnt helping - throbbing sore- just dealing with it
So i have noticed over the past few days where the temperature has dropped my knee feels like its swollen inside or as if something is expanding inside like the screws or something so it is feeling sore......
tired painkillers but they dont work which makes me think it could be the cold and the hardware within my knee.........
It is quite uncomfortable but im just dealing with it as there is no point in going to my GP as they dont know what my  surgery is and they look at me blankly or dumbfounded... so will try deep heat pack to see if they work as they keep the knee warm... fingers crossed =)))

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #174 on: October 06, 2014, 09:06:38 PM »
Day 147- relief of rubbing expanding pain - knee swelling going down
So as I'm not a scientist but have basic logic understanding I found that using a basic hot water bottle has taken away a lot of the pain and has also reduced the swelling in my knee which is good news .... My trainers have also given me ideas for before I train to warm the knee with certain items.....

So the expanding rubbing feeling in the cold has been stopped by a hot water bottle which is great I'm happy with that my knee is still going strong and I have had no dislocations or subluxations ....

My knee has reacted big time to the cold but time will tell when winter starts setting in if it is the cold that effects it.....

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #175 on: October 07, 2014, 07:31:08 PM »
day 148-  - knee no pain today wohoo!!

So today has been the biggest milestone EVER!! I remember my surgeon a few weeks back saying i wouldnt get my full flex ion back due to the procedure so i worked with my gym trainer on different ways rather than the standard MPFL rehab, and today i managed  after working at it for several hours per day over weeks from 5am in the morning to 9pm at night !! , i managed to do dead lift in very low squat form.... I feel today a huge weight off my shoulders than i have achieved my dream to have my full flex ion back! it is something so small my gym trainer took photos to prove it.......... i sent them to my promotor and wrestling physio and they both replied in shock / amazement wanting to know what i have done to achieve this... it just shows that sometimes by getting different opinions you can achieve greatness or things you never expected to achieve.

I can wait to walk into my surgeons office in 12 weeks times and say,i did this...... my frustration and determination drove me to seek different opinions some of the medical professions i think do underestimate personal trainers in gyms they are for me after this experience are just as good or better than some physios i have seen and met.... they drive you better and without my gym trainer i think i would be in a different position....

My knee today has had no pain as i have kept it warm TODAY IS A MILESTONE I'M OVER THE MOON =)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:58:20 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #176 on: October 08, 2014, 08:00:41 PM »
day 149-  rubbing for cold weather- lifting 150kg on leg press - finally feel complete
so i have noticed with the change of weather i do get soreness in the kneecap and femur, which i suspect is the hardware reacting to the cold so i just try to keep it warm....

My leg press is up to 150kg which is great news =)))) and my knee doesnt feel sore by doing it it feels the strongest it has ever felt....

Im finally feeling less frustrated and everything is coming into place i want to do so much to try to see what works with MPFL reconstruction and what doesnt because the more information we can give to doctors and physios it will only benefit the patient in the future....=)))))))

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #177 on: October 09, 2014, 07:22:56 PM »
DAY 150- MILESTONE - DID BURPEES AND MOUNTAIN CLIMBERS X20 X6 ROUNDS PER EACH ONE - EXCITED- HAPPY -

so today i managed to do burpees and mountain climbers and my personal trainer was amazed i feel so happy that i can do them now and i feel so confident because before the surgery every time i tried to do one of these my knee would dislocate so now i have complete security in my knee that it can do it and i am so happy because being able to do something that i couldnt do just shows how much this surgery has changed my lufe for the better and i have dropped an extra 30 kilos by having this surgery as it has given me athe ability to do more things =)))))

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #178 on: October 10, 2014, 10:14:11 PM »
day 151  - taking a rest - tired
I think sometimes you have to know when to stop so today i did as my knee felt very tight from yesterday so i decided to do nothing today and just ice it to ease it off...... i have noticed though still when i go for long walks i cant do it as much as i use to as my knee starts to get sore so i hope by when the ligament stretches more this will ease over time..... i still am getting it feel uncomfortable in the cold then i have to keep it warm ............
i suppose i am a guniea pig lol

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #179 on: October 11, 2014, 07:56:55 PM »
Day 152 photo mpfl reconstruction surgery post 152 days ( 5 months )