Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary  (Read 89262 times)

Offline Chester57

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
Re: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary
« Reply #150 on: September 15, 2014, 08:22:10 PM »
Hi Lucha,

Sorry you are still struggling.  Just one thing I wanted to mention. I was getting a significant amount of nerve pain that shot down into my foot and also up into my thigh and groin; however, it was not because nerves were repairing themselves but because they were trapped in scar tissue and needed to be released.  Just something you might need to rule out.

Best wishes.
1980 LK open total synovectomy to remove AVM--Undiag AF Begins--MUA-AF & Instability--Debridement-AF--LOA, Synovectomy, Menisectomy, Chondroplasty, M/L Ret Release-AF, Instability & Sublux--MCL, POL, MPFL Allo Recons-AF--LOA, LR, Synovectomy-AF--LOA, M/L Ret Release, Synovectomy-AF

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #151 on: September 15, 2014, 08:50:40 PM »
Thanks Chester I didn't know that I see the surgeon in under a week and will get the mri results for the pictures I posted on here a few days back,..... Sometimes I dunno you just think oh carry on what pain or sensations is not normal for a standard patient is not normal lol  I'm mpfl surgery how long did it take you to get your flexion Chester ?? Thanks for all your opinions it really helps :)))

Offline Chester57

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #152 on: September 15, 2014, 10:43:22 PM »
Hi Lucha,

As you can see by my signature line Arthrofibrosis and I have been together a very long time.  Unfortunately I have recurring AF and still have almost no flexion at all and am short extension when weight bearing (even after having proper surgery to remove it and following AF rehab protocol).  I can have surgery to deal with it and within 2 weeks it is back with a vengeance. 

I can also tell you from personal experience that Arthrofibrosis does not always show on diagnostic tests.  I had numerous x-rays, MRI's, arthrograms, CT scans, whole body nuclear bone scans and none of them showed it.  The only test that did show some of it was an MRI with and without Contrast (they inject contrast solution into a vein in your arm).

The post I made to you several weeks ago with regard to your pushing too hard was because if you do have an issue with Arthrofibrosis, the more you push the more inflammation you create.  The more inflammation you create causes more adhesions/scar tissue to form; so while you think you are doing yourself a favor by pushing through the pain, in actuality, you are creating more problems for yourself.  Those of us who have dealt with this hideous condition learned that the hard way.  If you recall I also voiced concern that your doctor was unable to fully flex your knee even while you were under anesthesia.  That, to me, is a big red flag. 

Lucha, I know you are an athlete and think you can force your knee to do what you want it to do but I am here to tell you that Arthrofibrosis does not care what your profession, how old you are, or what you want to do.  It can completely change your life if you are not careful.  Please heed the advice others have given you and also read everything on the board with regard to AF.

Wishing you the best

Christine
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:01:02 AM by Chester57 »
1980 LK open total synovectomy to remove AVM--Undiag AF Begins--MUA-AF & Instability--Debridement-AF--LOA, Synovectomy, Menisectomy, Chondroplasty, M/L Ret Release-AF, Instability & Sublux--MCL, POL, MPFL Allo Recons-AF--LOA, LR, Synovectomy-AF--LOA, M/L Ret Release, Synovectomy-AF

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #153 on: September 16, 2014, 07:30:46 PM »
Knee mpfl post 127 days

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #154 on: September 17, 2014, 08:45:05 PM »
day 128-  i just want answers-  feeling frustrated - bah humbug!
So today i have been getting frustrated with my knee, as i cant sit at a desk no longer than 1hr and 30 minutes before the pain kills because the pressure in the knee feels immense...... so i had to take a painkiller today which isnt me........ before the operation even with a dislocating knee i could sit at a desk 5 hours no problem now i am been given called " knee time" to give me extra time to move by HR......

My wrestling side rehab aids are just as frustrated as me with my progress of my ROM, they told me today they had exhausted everything they can imagine to get my ROm moving, then are thinking the ligament is too tight, but then isnt a MPFL ligament suppose to be tight if it is to last many years?

I just feel so frustrated today because im trying my best, and nothing is working to get this ROM moving it is making me feel bit stupid to be honest... ALL i want is answers, why i can jog do the bike, cross train but my leg will not go higher than 98-100 degree ROM............
I will see the surgeon in 5 days so i am hoping i will get answers because right now im baffled and i have the people helping me baffled even they have felt it when i have tried to flex it and the tightness they have felt even they are shocked by........
But then from the surgeons point of you if you had a wrestler you would want to make it as tight as possible... all i want is my flex and answers!!... frustrated.com

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #155 on: September 18, 2014, 12:11:42 AM »
Hey lucha

I think it's a really good thing you are going to see your surgeon soon. It seems odd that your knee still seems that sore and that you are unable to sit for longer than 1hr 30mins.

I can sit for unlimited amounts of time and even cross my legs, I only feel slightly stiff when I stand up which only lasts one or two steps then it's back to normal?

Hopefully they will be able to give you guidance with this and it can eventually get sorted out for you! I can't imagine how frustrated you must be.

Emma

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2014, 01:11:37 AM »
Yea I know Emma I just find it weird how I can run walk, cross train, but my flexion is terrible still and my sitting isn't great I shall soon have my answers but one good positive thing is I have had no dislocations :))))

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2014, 09:42:06 PM »
day129- burning sensation, pinging sensation again past couple of days - running outside -

I dont know but when your an avid runner and to have MPFL reconstruction get through the pain of the first 6-8 weeks and then teaching yourself to run and i ran 4.5 miles outside and it feels like i have my freedom back i do not have to worry about my knee as much........ and after going through the surgery all you want is to have freedom and normality back its the one thing you crave so i have been running outside for a while now and it feels amazing i shouldnt take my legs for granted ....

I still have the burning pinging sensation that is the best way of describing it. on the medial side and the anchor position of the mpfl .... i just had to wait to see the surgeon see what he says...........

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #158 on: September 21, 2014, 09:48:03 AM »
Day 130- running galore - pinging sensation still there - I love kneading
So been running a lot more now as I feel pretty free when I run I can run up to 5 miles now which is good, I still have the pinging throbbing sensation on the medial side but just dealing with it as I go along.......
I also knead my knee everyday as my wrestling physio has taught me about 15 different ways and it does make a great impact as some people know who have had mpfl surgery when you work out it can get sore after I knead it after the workout it feels a lot better the soreness goes down a lot :))))))

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #159 on: September 21, 2014, 08:29:59 PM »
DAY 131- MPFL REVIEW-
As im going to see the surgeon today i thought i would do a review so far........

I have achieved so far
running 5 miles outside ( 15 weeks)
squatting/lunges with 30kg in each hand ( post 15 weeks)
-lifting 150kg leg pres ( 14 weeks)
-running outside 4 miles (14/13  weeks)
- Lifting 140kg on leg press (12 weeks)
-squatting with men on shoulder ( 12 weeks)
- running 75 days post surgery( 10 weeks)
- lifting 120kg on my legs post surgery ( 8 weeks-9weeks)
- running up stairs (post 8 weeks)
- skipping jumping, ( post 8 weeks)
- squats lunges, lunges with dumbells 20kg) post (7 weeks)
-free weight lifting, lifting weight onto my shoulders with squats post (8 weeks)

So far no dislocations, which is great, feels more stable, which as many people who have suffered from MPFL issues and dislocations, is a great feeling that its more secure and stable........

My flex ion is still an issue, but i suppose i will have to work with it rather than against it, but hopefully the doctor tomorrow will explain it to me.......

I have pushed myself i must admit but as an athlete you get easily frustrated when you cant do something so you work harder or strive harder to achieve it .........

Is MPFL reconstruction worth it i hear you say? Well yes it is if you want stability in your joint and dont want to it to keep dislocating then yes it is worth it..... you will feel frustrated at some point but to be honest it is rather a positive because it only drives you to improve your leg and work at it.........

Mpfl reconstruction is for me still in its early stages...... there is still lots to be learnt from a surgery point of view, complications, rehab etc... but for me it has given me more freedom and no dislocations which is a huge benefit.........

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #160 on: September 22, 2014, 09:58:58 PM »
day 132- surgeon appointment - loss of flex ion - quick reflex-
So i had an appointment with the surgeon today to see if he would sign me off to wrestle.....
So he started off with lunges, he wasn't impressed i kept falling down not able to reach my knee to the floor......so i kept trying and kept getting up i had a personal trainers with me who were giving me advice.. I don't know why but just as i was about to hit the floor my knee just went.......
the he said right extend your leg up my leg zoomed up and nearly hit him in the face, he was actually surprised even the nurse laughed with my personal trainer, and he said "wow, that was rather good..." I replied these legs do lift 150kg on a daily basis." he went rather quiet and then said well your a unique monster.. i was speechless the nurse, trainers and surgeon all laughed.....then i said told you he was sarcastic then i laughed lol
I still wonder how he used that non and adjective to describe me lol.......

to explain in an easier context basically...... my squats were fine..... we then moved on with my flex ion...... he then informed me that i wouldn't get my full flex ion back due to the new ligament, he said that he does use artificial ligaments in most cases but he used my hamstrings which were very strong.......
He said i will get some flex ion back but not all in time.........hmmmm.. i thought to myself to try to prove him wrong because i already have done so lol.......

He then tested my lifting a man, which you have to do in the wrestling my surgeon then said "oh my lord.... i've seen it all now...."
so i managed to lift one of the personal trainers onto my shoulders then he got a chair and wanted me to touch  it  via a squat position with the personal trainers and get back up with him on my shoulders..! i tried my best but he kept showing me what to do and i said would you like to try it with a man on your shoulders he then let me get on with it lol.....

so then he decided it was ok for me to train to enter the wrestling again, YEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
.... and he told me no blunt force trauma to the knee cap area, to fall on the geluts or hamstrings, so now i have had to reconsider moves etc, but i have decided i will probably do another 10 matches then retire........

I then asked him how long does an  MPFL graft last for?? He replied with a silence........ In which i then said to him so basically my case is so unique that as a wrestler, who has had mpfl, and complications and a MUA, it is a unique research to you because there is no answer because there is no study that exist like my case so that is why there is no answer and that is why your probably more than likely doing research on me ....... the nurse who accompanied him nodded her head behind his back at me which suggested i was right my surgeon smiled and said nothing but laughed... suggested to me i was right and my trainers smiled at me as they got the same feeling....

nurse and physios laughed.... in which i replied so basically i cant fly out of a ring then..... again he smiled... i'm beginning to think he smiles mean a yes but he wont admit it lol

Then i went on to say to him MPFL surgery is trail and error and we are guniea pigs due to lack of information provided...... he then said no that is not the case... i replied well tell me where it is because to be honest i have looked through many medical journals which have little information on MPFL,  i have only got back up and running with the help of personal trainers and my wrestling physiotherapist..... who have tried things through trial and error to test it because not many people know what an MPFL Is......
Again he smiled at me and said... your not a guniea pig... i replied that's how i feel......

Then after getting my letter to say i said finally discharged!! yey! he said so when do i see you next??
I SAID oh lord no i dont want to see you any more thanks very much...... the nurse laughed and he laughed and he said when shall i see you next and i said you have given me permission to wrestle so why do i need to see you? he replied shall we say in three to four months... so i have to go back and see the surgeon for whatever reason which i find rather suspicious as he has just signed me off to wrestle..but he still wants to see me..... hey ho best part is I CAN WRESTLE WOHOOO!!!!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 09:25:15 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #161 on: September 23, 2014, 07:59:46 PM »
DAY 133- SIGNED OFF ON PHYSIO!! - BEING RESEARCHED HMMM.... JOY AT LAST!!
so today walked into the physio and she looked at me and was rather impressed with my training, she made me run round the room, i did pivot turns to turn around the room, and she said i cant notice or see and difference in your leg.. it amazing to see....

She then talked to me about the flexion and asked what the surgeon said, and i told her that i wouldn't get all of it back and she said i thought he would say that............. then she gave me some advice as i said to her he wants to see me back after signing me off for the wrestling and i dont get that is he wanting me for research or something she said well look your case is very unique you have had some many complications, and have come out quicker than a standard MPFL patient who is generally 6-8 months before physios release them you have been four and a half months, they are things they could learn................

then she said she had some information she was getting from stanmore hospital which is doing a lot of research with MPFL surgery which i have been looking at today and there is some interesting things there.........

SO she said to me i wish i had a video of you with your swollen leg and bleeding when i saw you first and the sheer pain you were in to now it gives me joy to discharge you today!!!! YEY!!!!!!!!! i actually jumped up and down 4 months and just under two weeks i get discharged =)))))))

today is a joyful occasion i feel like over the moon that i can carry on a lead my life day to day now!! =)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #162 on: September 23, 2014, 09:29:50 PM »
WHAT CAN BE LEARNT FROM MPFL SURGERY day 134
after just over 4 months and being signed off by the physiotherapist there is a hug sense of relief for me...
It has had its trials and tribulations, but there are things to be learnt....... :o

MPFL as a surgery is complicated, it does take time, to get back to daily life and routine.... There are so many varied techniques of doing the surgery.... especially if your an athlete make sure you know which type of technique they use as this can effect many things in any sport or daily life I found that out too late......

Doctors can forget the basic principles of Post surgery
1) Every patients recovery is unique
2)A silence will only make a patient more frustrated, A patient always needs an answer
3) Lack of information available for MPFL is frustrating for the patient
4)A Smile goes a long way, rather than a doctor with a chip on his shoulder, we already as a patient feel tired we dont want a miserable sod to look at =)
5)Communication of what is going right or wrong....
6)Complications is a overwhelming situation with Mpfl SURGERY

Gains from surgey
- no dislocations =)
-no sublaxions =)
- can run for longer now than i could before the surgery =)
- stronger leg =)

complications from surgery
- dvt
-overscarring
-compartment syndrome
- loss of flexion

HOWEVER sometimes we all have to make a choice of what is best for us, my kept dislocated over 40 times in a period of 6 months if i didnt stop it there could have been a lot worse things to come, i made the choice, i believe it was the correct one considering i now have a knee that no longer dislocates and i can run and have my freedom which is the biggest positive outcome than having lack of flexion sometimes we all have to look at the positives than the negatives,,,,, =))))))))

« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 06:48:35 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #163 on: September 25, 2014, 07:09:50 PM »
day 135 part two MPFL and what can be learnt.....

I have thought more about MPFL surgery..........

I believe there is a lot of frustration with the surgery from many patients who can understand this who have had MPFL reconstruction, the frustration is because of the unknown, the unknown challenges, the unknown sensations......how are we as a patient to know what is normal when sometimes not even a medically qualified doctor can give us an answer to the questions we have?

Is this due to lack of Research, or due to lack of experience?? Well depending on the situation....

I have found through this surgery than any doctor who doesn't not have experience in orthopaedic will stay away,  or offer alternatives to help you rather than them treat you because of the lack of knowledge they have on the subject of MPFL e.g GP...

Orthopaedic doctors will always use the word "normal" but never give you a specific medical reason if they have lack of experience with MPFL surgery and just smile to try to change the subject however if i have stabbing pains in my knee i know that is not normal and i want to know specifically why... So generally i found myself always asking for the answers to my questions because i could never get a straight answer even sometimes my surgeon could not answer some questions i had due to what i felt was lack of research in the field of MPFL reconstructions.......

So i feel it falls into categories depending on research, experience etc

I would say websites like knee guru has given some much vast information on MPFL than i have found on other websites and gives you the best clearest insight into what to expect from Mpfl surgery.... Most answers to my questions i have found by looking at diaries and so on..................

My final point is that MPFL surgery is worth the pain because it gives you your life and agility back..... but i think doctors and physio need to be aware more of how frustrating it is for the patient with so lack of information and the more information and clarity of information a patient has the more that patient can work to improve their rehab etc..............

i WILL SAY TO ANYONE IF YOUR THINKING OF HAVING MPFL SURGERY IT IS WORTH IT BECAUSE YOU WILL HAVE SECURITY AND FREEDOM BACK AGAIN... JUST RESEARCH AS MUCH AS YOU CAN =))

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #164 on: September 25, 2014, 08:19:36 PM »
Knee mpfl reconstruction  day 136