Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary  (Read 89220 times)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
Re: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2014, 09:17:19 PM »
Frustrations I'm feeling in a sarcastic tone!!!

My knee has cracked over 20 times today and for the past week and even my work colleagues have heard it!!! Four times when it cracked I lost my balance..... Frustration is not the word!!!!!

My knee feels like it wants to burst open on fire....... And has felt like that for 3 weeks!!! Today has been bad.....

Ever time I sit at a desk I can't sit for no longer than one hour and a half because the stiffness and pressure in the joint us too much. And I walk  like herr flick  from the series allo allo until, it gets moving again pfff......!!!

I'm going to the gym over 3 hours a day to rehab it with a special pt and swimming and relaxing it I'm just so frustrated right now !!!

My knee is not wanting to behave lol !!!!!! Frustrated.com

But one positive is the weights on my leg are increasing very well, doing squats lunges and trx, bosu to help strengthen the leg but I'm thinking of giving my leg a rest tomorrow or take a painkiller but I font really want to take any painkillers!!!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:56:28 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2014, 10:38:15 AM »
Day 88- yes I rode a bike!!! - knee gone up 10kg on weights- finally seeing progress - still fire sensation and cracking

So today I managed to rude a bike my knee went round it was so emotional I'm so happy to be on a bike again!!!! Yey!!!! My weights in the gym have also increased by 10 kg which is great news.... I still have the fire sensation and cracking popping house but now I'm just ignoring it because I don't know anymore what us a good thing or bad thing as in sensation... I'm finally happy to be seeing the progress I'm making...... And so is my pt she's amazed and how quickly my body has been shocked back into activities today is a good  day :))))

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2014, 05:13:07 PM »
Day 89- sharp pains burning sensations - legs on wall - not much sleep
So today suffered big time from sharp pains dagger style in my knee and in my shin at certain points I felt my knee just wanted to explode with fire and my leg would randomly jolt!!!   so kept icing it was fighting with taking a painkiller but I didn't... Had to sleep with my legs up on the wall and the pain would stop but because of this I didn't sleep that well......

Day 90
- back to gym - more zobu workouts lunges trx lunges squats pivoting workouts-
So today back in the gym doing every single leg excercises that is known to man two and a half hours of excercises , my knee felt ok ish today I was more in control of the pain after icing .
So today my leg still burning but just ignoring it....... And abit swollen icing again.... The question to ask is how much is too much?? Because doctors don't give you a straight answer so your left to work it out by yourself when you don't know what's a good sensation or bad sensation quite amusing really lol so if you screw it up then it's trail and error with this surgery

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2014, 08:51:12 PM »
Knee 12 weeks post mpfl surgery

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2014, 07:34:20 PM »
Day 91 still sleeping with legs up wall- now skipping- training muscles - throbbing pain burning and clicking
Well still sleeping with my legs on the wall which is not the best position but it stops my leg knee from throbbing and the fire sensation...... I can now skip which excites me I'm training every single leg muscle twice a day on poverty weight machine and I have noticed even in two weeks my muscles are coming back really quick.......even my pt is impressed maybe this shock therapy my wrestling physio has done.....

Is working because as an athlete we run on a lot of adrenaline etc so by shocking the body again post surgery it is getting the muscles to remember everything again.... For me the whole process has worked very quickly including the kneading techniques for people with over scarring and I'm coming on leaps and bounds......

But one thing that is annoying me is the throbbing burning and clicking I can even feel my knee pulsate sometimes and it's annoying me hopefully after 16 weeks post op this will disappear ! :))

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2014, 08:48:56 PM »
Post 12 weeks review -------- in sarcastic funny tone

Still stiff getting out of bed and sitting for more than two hurs even an OAP can walk quicker than me... That is the most frustrating part it takes a good 20-25 minutes to walk normally........

I can just about run like a person who really needs the toilet.......

The person who designed this surgery of mpfl reconstruction never thought of how the side sutures really don't help as if you look at every weight machine in my gym  they will use those areas where the sutures are based well done boys! Lol !! ;)

PAin- the next till so done offers me a painkiller I will scream! Dear doctors all we want is assurance at this point that all the cracking burning, and tingly and rubbing sensations are NORMAL I don't want to be drugged up thanks I can deal with the pain in my own way....... I don't want to be as high as a kite! Lol

Burn sensation are just plain weird!!!

I don't expect my knee to crack in front of a board of directors and they all hear it it don't look good  they asked us it normal I relied oh just ripped my hamstring out drilled holes into my femur and kneecap then bolted in the knee ligaments with screws that's about it really.... Never seen A bunch of directors go so quiet and white! Lol

Everything else I'm doing all bikes rowing machine stepper, skipping but had a big of a stupid moment a swinging dumbbell went straight into my bad knee lesson learnt don't get distracted .............even with good looking men around it will make you look bad lol

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:57:17 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2014, 09:06:14 PM »
Day92- knee swollen - still going - pt training best thing I've ever done.....
So after swinging my dumbbell into my knee by accident it's swollen but I'm still going
Pain I am just meditating through it...... It's hard but you have it keep going  and learn that you will never know till you try....... The personal trainer has done more for me than the physio has I have managed to get a lot more movement back with her help........
My knee still is cracking a lot and still have the burning sensation but I suppose you have to accept with all surgery there is complications and nothing can be 100% perfect you just have to adapt to it.......

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #97 on: August 08, 2014, 05:59:12 PM »
Day 93 - doctor number  123456789... - hyper extension of knees - cracking knees - back to surgeon I go!! Pff!

So today I had an orthopaedic consult with a doctor, he was very nice and sarcastic with a nice sense of humour.. finally a doctor that actually smiles and is happy and  got trained by my surgeon a nice one compared to the other ones I have seen lost count of them now.... I even see to him in a sarcastic funny tone, your smiling are you ok do you have a fever? he started laughing and i explained to him he was the first doctor i saw with a smile and for him to keep smiling.. he laughed... he said your going to be a very sarcastic patient i am sarcastic too..So he started reading out my notes.. so your surgeon has said you have had a stormy recovery this is interesting so....... you have had an MPFL, DVT risk, stiffness, swelling and an MUA... then i said sarcastically yey everything is so positive especially as i am an athlete with a time restriction ,  at least i can walk, he started laughing.....

So in the room my knee started cracking was not amused so he asked me to walk and it cracked again and he said was that your knee I was like ooh yes!  Then I showed how I cannot kick my bum. I can barley get my foot behind below my calf/ my knee which probably is normal as he has ripped out my hamstrings... then he sat me down and tried to get my flex back he said oh 90-95 degrees ok ..... a small silence then he went back to the notes
And today to add insult to injury he told me I have hyper extension of both knees oh joy my physio have already told me that! Lol .....
I then said i have a wrestling match for children with cancer in December and he said oh like the American wrestling in which i replied oh yea just lifting 110kg men above your head and throwing them out of the ring like you do my personal trainer laughed  and he dropped his pen and then he said your a crazy girl but i would'nt want to piss you off.....
then he kept saying i dont want to annoy her... which meant to me something was wrong and i asked him... no reply....

I said I needed to go back to wrestle in December he told me he wanted me to see the surgeon in another 6 weeks before I have my knee assessment in October/November WITH the surgeon .... Well now I have more questions for my  surgeon, and considering this doctor said he didn't want to  upset me and forcing me to go back to the surgeon is making me think something is wrong, i can understand why he would be scared of upsetting me from the fact my notes say i wrestle and i lift a lot of weight no wonder he is scared of telling me any bad news its like pass the buck lol

I then told him how I felt that sometimes my knee will just stop and say no! I dunno it's just like a bad nerve twitch and you just can't do it.. Your knee just refuses or the pain is a burning nerve style pain and just stops you in its track it's so hard to describe.... He then said this us a form of bio feedback he said that is a good sign to stop he said done athletes can feel this as they are more hypersensitive to their body movements and aware... And he told me if I get it just stop it as it's valid what the body is saying

I hope the surgeon will allow me to wrestle in November I'm just getting frustrated now I'm doing everything in the gym now  running, lunges and squats are perfect every day i do those, lunges/WALKS with dumbells everyday i do those ...............
 frustrated lol just want to wrestle
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:36:41 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2014, 02:08:14 PM »
Day 94- teaching myself to sprint again - burning sensation - there always hope....
So been training my leg to try to sprint again on the running machine for the last 10 days  but it's frustrating as because I'm still missing rom I'm finding it hard to get the movement so I hit taught some new ideas on how to get running again by holding onto the sides of the running machine so then I have support for my knee if anything happens...
I still have the burning sensation inside my knee which the doctor confirmed yesterday was the nerves and the repairing of the cut nerves.........
So I keep pushing  myself even though the doctor told me not too but hey hoh everyone is different each person is unique and I am hopeful I will get it done in my own way asan athlete because that s what my body is use to doing........
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:51:07 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2014, 02:17:59 PM »
Knee post 94 days mpfl reconstruction

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2014, 01:13:43 PM »
Day 95- yes I'm running!!! - still got burning pain and cracking sounds
So today I am happy to say I ran for 20 minutes my rom was rubbish but I'm exstatic my knee didn't give way or hyperextend it was such an amazing feeling I'm over the moon and some personal trainers saw me and came over it congratulate me it was such a great feeling by put they all did not my range of movement sucked by up still managed to run :)))))))))
I still have the burning nerve sensations in my knee....... And the cracking noises but to be honest I really don't care anymore I'm just so happy I ran :))))))))

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:15:34 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2014, 08:27:46 PM »
A quick review of my MPFL reconstruction----- findings

MPFL surgery/ reconstruction has been i suppose as my surgeon describe it "stormy" it has had its trails and tribulations....

1)Knowledge of the procedure
For me the frustration from lack of knowledge and information has been the biggest part..As a patient should we be explaining to a doctor of 20 years experience our surgeries, considering this surgery is classed as complicated..

We should be able to go to a doctor for help without being treated like a leopar because they are unaware of what a mpfl procedure is for me the only way for this to stop would be the notes being clear and concise on rare/ complicated surgeries so then a patient an feel at ease when going to a doctor then the doctor is clear and concise in the knowledge of what we have done.... rather than having to ask every doctor do you know what mpfl surgery is?? Sometimes i have even went to a gp with a paper of what is MPFL surgery so it saves me explaining it......

2) Research all you can, but only you can find the way to get through it
find out as much research as you can before having this surgery, diaries are good to read but i'm must say that everyone is different and everyone finds there own way to get through this surgery there is not  a lot of research available for post surgery... but i have found through trail and error what works and what doesn't.... trusting your instinct and listening to your body is the best advice i can give it will tell you what works and what doesn't

3) Pain
 the first 4 weeks are the most painful, the first two weeks you are generally drugged up. but for me i found after week 5 -6 the pain was easy to handle, but for me i found that doctors just tried to drug me up when i said i thought something didn't feel right for me i tried to get off the medications as soon as possible so then i am aware of what my body was trying to tell me so i could work with it rather than against it.......it will get easier have hope and faith

4) doctors
- to BE HONEST my surgeon and his ex registrar were great with me answered every single question i had and gave me an answer made me feel content and they both had a great sarcastic sort of funny attitude... the other doctors i had were more frustrating for me......

the doctor who did my MUA- A SMILE can make a patient more content than a frown, i felt a bit nervous having surgery with you, but i have been brought up to have hope and faith, i know you doctors are under pressure to perform, but for me a smile can make a patient at ease, rather than frown and be unhappy maybe you had a bad day i don't know, but i still brought you chocolate to say thank you as you eased my pain and gave me one smile......i always got brought up to always say thank you when someone has helped you

The doctor who saw me after the MUA- you started staring at me for quite a long time for some unknown reason  i know i was wearing make up that day as i had to go to a meeting but i would like to know who you are and you to ask a basic question like hello, good morning.... how are you feeling- rather staring at me and saying you liked my bag, p.s dont tell a patient a surgery they have had which they haven't had and that it will be a long time that doesnt help an athlete .... think first will go a lot longer... i know your under pressure but a second to think and check things will make a greater difference in the world and within a patient being content.

The doctors at the fracture clinic who said normal/long time - i currently hate the adjectives normal and long time, give us a valid answer we are all not stupid say that is because of nerves or that is because of the graft then at least we know why it is normal. As an athlete a surgery is more frustrating for us , because we have time scales to get back to fitness, i cannot go back to my promoter and say a long time otherwise he would be marching back to my surgeon asking serious questions

so what have you learnt from this doctors, clarity of answers, honesty, manners and to smile they are very small things that can help a patient but they do go along way to make a patient feel content than a frustrated patient. I will never give the names of the doctors or even my surgeon as i feel every doctor needs their confidentiality we can learn something from this, and as human beings we all make mistakes and we all learn from them we are all not perfect..........

5) have hope, faith, positivity
you will find the first four weeks are the hardest yes, you will get frustrated you will get emotional you will have a lot of pain, but how you react to it and how determined you are to achieve success after this surgery is all down to the individual all a doctor can do is fix and advise... but you are the one that has to put the hard work in... There are time where you will feel progress might seem slow but i assure you that no matter the complications no matter the pain things no matter the obstacles things will get better.....have hope and faith in yourself...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:38:34 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2014, 06:50:39 AM »
Day 96- still running skipping cycling and cross training..... Burning sensations and cracking - knowing when to stop.....
I'm still running cycling and cross training it feels so great to be active again normality is back! I still have the burning sensations I still find sitting down for over two hours kills my knee..... I get very stiff joint  and it takes time to get it going...... When I am training sometimes it's hard to know what is a pain uh can carrying on with or what us a pain you should stop with...... So for me how am I suppose to know what us normal when my knee freezes and just stops I can't do anymore I gave to stop but then the sharp Pain through the new tendons which are hard to describe I'm still trying to assess if it's good ti carry on with it or not.......

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2014, 08:32:12 PM »
Day 97- what the #%#% - keep going -
So today I was sitting at my desk at my second job when all of a sudden my knee just went mental! The pain was terrible very sharp pains.. I couldn't control it at all mentally it Was making my leg jolt... Then my kneecap felt like it was being shoved into the back of me knee ... It actually made my cry it was that strong....... Then I felt the screws felt like they were burning......and my boss had to give me 20 minutes to recover.... Because the pains would not stop

Luckily enough a mate had dome tablets so I had you give in and take them because the pain was mental! I don't know what was going on but my knee just froze with pain...... My knee and calf have swollen up....

So I decided to how swimming today..... So then that way I could excercise my whole body without putting pressure on the knee I suppose you have to keep going but you have to work with the knee sometimes rather than against it.......

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 08:36:25 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2014, 07:39:30 PM »
Day-98 - sharp and burning pains - keep pushing - what do we know is right??- interesting about hardware
So the leg has been frustrating me very sharp pains and burning pains which probably is nerve pain and us to be expected in this surgery.....
I keep pushing myself in the gym I'm finding using weights  to build the quad twice a day is working a lot  I'm using the stepper, cross trainer and running to try to get the flex by rom got measured today it went down yo 92 degrees........
For me I will say do what is comfortable for you find things that work for your legs because they all react differently I found by trying a lot of things I get more movement as it pivoting because
I also found out today from a sports therapist...... That the hardware they use in knee ligament surgery can effect flexion..,,,.. Wth????? Why wasn't I told this???? I mean I fly out of rings for a living flexion you always need .....then the sports therapist went on to explain to me are they keeping the hardware in or taking it out I said I didn't know then he told me well you need yo know as it can effect your rehab /physio
Now I'm confused.com .........................

support