Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary  (Read 86234 times)

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
Re: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2014, 04:55:08 PM »
Hi lucha

Sorry to read you were in so much pain. One of the physio exercises I've been given is to sit with my leg out straight in front of me and using a towel to pull my foot back to bend my knee? (Hopefully that makes sense) I've found this has greatly improved the bend of my knee and I've gone from 50 degrees to 95 degrees in a week.

This also really helps me doing things like getting out of bed as I can't do this without lifting my leg or using a towel as like a sling to lift my leg? Hopefully this all makes sense to you.

I know how sore it can be and how hard it is to try and stay positive.

Hopefully your pain eases soon.

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2014, 08:43:50 AM »
Day 18-  swelling of hamstrings - got my shoes on - visit to hospital
so today my trainer came round to my house and said now she understood when my flexion was taking time my hamstrings are hard as rock compared to my other leg its like a huge lump- but i have one problem cant take anti-inflammtorys painkiller due to blood clot injections, so she gave me a few excerices and i went up to 50 degree flex today which made me feel better- i managed to put on my trainers without any help which has pushed me to drive myself, then i had to go to the dvt clinic ( blood clot ) clinic to get my final tests done was on my feet that day for like 5 hours and they said i could drop the injections which made me feel great as i am hoping my swelling will go down as i had been on shots of 180mg of celaxane  A DAY which normally then only do tops 80mg... im still getting nerve pains but im finding my pain is alot more under control i just have to be able to b aware of pivoting.......

Day 19- Birthday- excercises- knowing when to rest
after yesterday walking in the hospital for quite a few hours my knee was wanting to rest so i decided i would give it a rest and do alot of sit down excercises, as my feet were very swollen and my knee was swollen, took some pain meds but not much im finding  my knee is feeling less tight now compared to the first two weeks, i am getting more flex, i am waiting for the stitches to be fully shut then i want t start swimming to get my joint moving and weight free as i know some other wrestler s who have had acl,mcl,pcl ligament reconstruction....and they have all said to me the sooner you can swim the better and quicker you will get your flex back as water has no impact on the joints..............

day 20- yes i sat in a car =) - flex gone down to 50 degrees - increasing activity walked up 8 flights of stairs .........
so i managed TO SIT IN FRONT OF A CAR! at 50 degree flex which was great, but i have noticed today i have lost a little flex maybe this is due to me pushing my knee , because im determined to get in moving, my trainer came to give me more rehab as with the NHS IN ENGLAND the next first  avaliable date for physiotherapy is second week of june.. which is 6 weeks post surgery! which seems a bit crazy so that's why i paid for a trainer of sports rehab t come and train me , knee keeps jolting in the night which annoys me but i understand with the healing process, nerves can react like this so i have to expect it i do have bruising on the knee now and its still swollen but i still keeps icing it with the cooler system and i also walked up 8 flights of stairs sometimes i find when i get frustrated the wrestling athlete comes out in me and i get more determined to do something so i walked up 8 flights without stopping on each flight 15 stairs on each so very happy =)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 09:47:09 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2014, 02:28:10 PM »
week 3 what i have learned so far
1) cut your trousers on your surgery knee to just over the knee, and leave the other leg as normal so then you can pull it up quick for the doctors to check and its easy to work with ice packs
2) keep wearing trainers- the amount of support you get and more movement is alot more, i would recommend nike air (running) max 2014, they feel like your walking on feathers and very little impact on the knee compared to other trainers i have tried...
3)be aware of stitches, i have stitches which will dissolve but some of mine are sticking out of my knee so be careful when putting on clothes or covering you legs....
4)when i feel the screws in my knee, i stand up and ice and move rather than sit and the sensation will go away
5) nerve pain in the knee shin and foot, like jolting lightening pains-  again i find by keeping it cold the pain subsided............

Emma i think as you know with this type of surgery you get good days and bad days, and you have to be able to assess what can be done at certain stages and what cant be done and i think i was abit too determined or frustrated to say the least lol, pain medications im only taking four a day now two tablets in morning two tablets  at night  i hope everything is going well with you =)

Offline 2cutekiddos

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2014, 01:30:05 AM »
Hey Lucha,

Wow...I am so impressed with how you are trying to get up and active so soon! I just wanted to let you know I had the same problems when you said

"My knee keeps jolting and the pains are so sharp it takes me off guard....... When I sleep my knee jumps and it keeps causing me to wake up so I'm finding I'm tired and exhausted I just hope it is part of the healing process and it will disappear in time."

For me they were muscle spasms and muscle relaxers didn't even help! It always hit me right as I was entering sleep. Then I would scream as it felt like my knee cap was subluxing...scary! One time my husband started massaging my quads to soothe me and that night there were no muscle spasms. From that night on, he massaged my quads...it was the only thing that worked. It took about 2 weeks...so it will get better!

Andrea
1981 First Subluxation/Dislocation Rt knee - 7yrs old
1981 to the Present: Countless Subluxation/Dislocations of Rt & Lt knees
1993- Rt Knee LR & Medial Reefing (failed)
1996- Lt Knee LR & Medial Reefing (failed)
2012- Lt Knee Fulkerson TTT & MPFLr
2014 -RT Knee Fulkerson TTT & MPFLr: scheduled 6/18

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2014, 08:39:32 PM »
i know what you mean andrea and the spasms are intense they are not small ones either i just have a main problem right now all my leg thigh hamstrings and foot are rock hard and swollen so i think i might rest it ......but sometimes you have to work through the pain

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2014, 08:35:51 AM »
Day 21- everything coming together - no crutches- suture problems
So on this day I don't know what happened but everything which I couldn't do seemed like I just did because of my frustration, so I in the kitchen I got annoyed I ditched my crutches I said to myself I will walk and I did 20 stops around the kitchen unaided which made me feel great so I keep practising now in the kitchen as the sides are tall so if anything happens I have something to hold on to in case I need to.... I sat in the car and my leg went yo to 70 -75 degree flex ion as well so that made me feel proud as I am doing 10 different exercises a day 4 reps each time....5 times a day... So it's working....

The structures in my knee are dis-solvable but they are sticking out of the cuts so my sister who is a pharmacist and my gp said don't go into the shower until you see the surgeon in two days time be use my shower is a rainfall shower I tried tying bags on it and cling film but because of the pressure of the shower and water even with a bag or cling film water seems to get through ..

So I can't shower to lessen the factor of infection... I have been up 50 stairs 8 times today but I am beginning to notice my hamstrings are hard as rock as well as my shin and calf which isn't helping my flexion in certain moves but I'm not allowed to take anti swelling medication as I was on the blood clot injections so I think I will have to ride through the storm  :))
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:56:51 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2014, 02:36:48 PM »
Day 22- more movement - sitting better in car
I have found that my movement has increased to 50 again, and I'm sitting more comfortable in a car.... But I am suffering from a lot of hamstring swelling it's so hard no longer soft, still got nerve pains, and my cAlf and shin are very tight so I will see the surgeon tomorrow I'm only taking tablets in morning and at night before bed paracetamol and codeine phosphate which is great as in total 4 tablets........ :))))

Day 23- surgeon decision is final- more surgery - physiotherapist shocked
So bad news got to the surgeon- he is going to give me another surgery in 48 hours!!!! So i saw the surgeon today after a long wait as his registrar was 1hr 30 minutes late to work, i was suppose to see his registrar i asked the nurse to give him a present as a thanks for helping me....

I then spoke to him at the door of his room he asked me how i was doing and i told him my rom ( range of movement) and swelling and he said that's not good you need to keep trying.  Then i joked with him and said you did a smiley face on my knee, he said no i didnt and i said trust me you did....  my knee is now a common joke among the wrestlers.....he laughed...So i said to him i was going to sit down and wait to see his registrar then the surgeons nurse calls me back into the surgeons consult room. 

So then he said right lets check your leg shall we... when i lifted my trouser there was this utter silence....and a oh my....and a silence again when my surgeon did that i thought "im buggered."  and i said to him its blistered it's swollen and tight on my shin calf and foot very shiny skin... when a surgeon goes quiet you know something is wrong... then he kept prodding my calf and feeling the skin, and looking at the blisters...

then the next thing i know he is pulling out the bed into a different position  bringing it low down he asked me to push against his foot to be honest i just wanted to cry because the burning sensation was immense i just looked up at him with like a defeated look my sister said who was with me....i remember looking up just feeling tired, and hearing a hmmm from my surgeon and my leg just felt so heavy and swollen.... then he pushed the bed back asked me to walk...and i struggled because my leg was so swollen and because of the tightness everywhere including in my foot........ he said how do you feel? what would help you.... i felt a bit emotional and frustrated by this point i just remember said its tight its stiff and i remember just looking at my leg with frustration and disgust.....

he sat down and looked at my leg and laughed and he said you are right i did do a face on your leg, im sorry about that i didnt mean to do that i said well at least its a smiley face and not a frown.......

All through the consult the surgeon was going hmmm.... when he does that or goes quiet you know he thinks differently or has concerns... but just wont blurt them out... so then he said are you sure it is not a DVT?

i explained my notes should see that i was cleared of DVT threat then he said hmmm again he looked at me sitting down and then said look your not even comfortable sitting down your surgical leg side is raised to be honest by this point i said it had been like that for three weeks he hmmmm again and went into a slient thinking ... my bubble was now burst nothing positive said i just thought im buggered!...

seconds later i see a red sheet of paper and he said your coming in for an MUA in 48 hours... we need to get this done... you have a lot of stiffness... i remember i did a small nervous laugh because i thought just my luck if i didnt have a small laugh i would have probably cried....

I look at my sister for a response and she said you need it to get your leg moving more.. i didn't even have a clue what it was i was too tired, too emotional and spaced out to argue so i skimmed read it and signed... hoping for the best...

I remember going to the car and i just cried in it for about 10 minutes. I think my sister just let me cry because it was just to release my frustration, tiredness and being drugged up and in pain... crying was the only way to release it........i have never felt defeated in my whole life till that point and that is saying something especially when you wrestle an us wrestlers are very stubborn and determined lol

i was confused why i needed the mua as i was doing all my exercises, and the pt exercises,

I went straight to the physio after the surgeon feeling deflated after me doing everything possible to help it and the physio was not happy and said I have a swelling issue and my whole leg is tight.......... He again thought my ligaments were too tight in my knee....... As the reaction of my leg was not good as it has blisters and is swollen ........ So it's going to be manipulated and there could be a risk of rupturing it the physio said now I'm freaking out!!!! sometimes

i think it doesn't help with negativity its best to say to a patient ok this is happening this is our plan everything will be ok, but i suppose in the moment physios and surgeons forget this but rather want to fix the situation quickly which i appreciate......
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:23:55 PM by lucha86 »

Offline 2cutekiddos

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2014, 10:10:10 PM »
Oh my goodness! I am so sorry you have to go through this!

My doctor left me a "port hole" after my procedure to help let excess blood and swelling be released. One of the holes that had a camera inserted into my knee was not sewed up. You would be amazed at how much came out! I even have pics! I would ask your doctor if he is going to do something like this for you so you don't have to go through this again.

Good luck and I am sending good thoughts your way!!! Keep us posted!
1981 First Subluxation/Dislocation Rt knee - 7yrs old
1981 to the Present: Countless Subluxation/Dislocations of Rt & Lt knees
1993- Rt Knee LR & Medial Reefing (failed)
1996- Lt Knee LR & Medial Reefing (failed)
2012- Lt Knee Fulkerson TTT & MPFLr
2014 -RT Knee Fulkerson TTT & MPFLr: scheduled 6/18

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2014, 09:25:45 AM »
So sorry to hear you have another surgery scheduled. :(

Hopefully it manages to sort out the problems you are having.

Keep us updated of how everything goes.

Take care
Emma

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2014, 11:04:22 PM »
Day 24   Waiting waiting waiting.....
As I had to wait for the next day for the surgery I had to fast and it was pretty hard as I had to adapt my diet to complex carbohydrates slow releasing so I would feel hungry I only took  one painkiller today which I found a was a surprise as it was ironic I was on one painkiller and going in for surgery the next day...... I still carried on with my exercises..... But the secretary for the surgeon rang me to say she would confirm time tomorrow...

Day 25. Surgery- high as a kite - drugged - rush hour
So I was woken up at 7 am by the medical secretary to say we need you at the hospital in one hour ...... Ok I was thinking 20 minutes in taxi 20 minutes to walk to theatres on crutch  this will be stressful .... So I managed to get there I was going to have a MUA with cpm machine  with a night stay in the hospital..

So first i had the surgeon come out to me a different one he didn't seem happy at all he asked me sign here no smile nothing i even said to him " can you smile?" That seemed to make his frown worse..  and then he was having a small argument with the main nurse because the anaesthesia doctor hadn't been out to me i said to the nurse i will go to the theatre to sign the paperwork for her to same time but also to help the doctor he seemed he was having a bad day and i thought i would help him out as i appreciate any help i get from any medical professional .. I asked him again you can smile after helping him..i got a frown, i think some doctors forget a smile goes along way with a patient who is about to go under... patients want to seem some positive responses there already going through enough problems....

So they took me to the  theatre the anaesthetist tried 5 times to put a canular in me but wasn't able to even though in my first surgery a different one find it first time no pain, but this guy I was stressing out  after the fourth attempt I had both hands in the air covered in cotton buds and tape I looked at the surgeon and nurse  and said just knock me out with something please!!!  Next thing I know I had a mask for me and they both said breathe it in, not knowing it was laughing gas...... It was the weirdest stuff I have tried..., I remember I couldn't stop laughing and. All the voices blended into one and my brain couldn't understand 

So after the surgery found the anaesthesia doctor managed to put in a canular but I had 6 blotches on my hands with bruises, and I looked at my knee thinking why have I got bandages on my knee???so the surgeon came out . He asked how i was i replied i would feel a lot better if you smiled and it would make your patient feel more positive. then he actually gave me a big smile i finally had achieved my goal lol to make the surgeon smile lol that then made me smile

So he said do you want the good news or bad news??? I said start with bad ok i ripped your sutures from the main surgery due to the tightness of your joint so we had to re stitch them..... I was like pffff!! The good news he could get it to 90 degree rom..... But I would need to see my normal surgeon in 2 weeks again..
So that night I stayed in the same hospital ward from the first surgery and all the staff were happy to have me back they all said the wrestler is back!!!! Cause I always gave them chocolates and biscuits... I didnt need a lot of drugs which was good.... but to my horror they didn't give me the CPM machine even though i could feel it was tight still!!

Day 26- leaving hospital- DVT injections- physio - the surgeon's registrar frustrated with!
The next day I left with less tightness in my quad and hamstring which was good and it was already showing a 10 degree increase of range.....after the physio torturing me which i appreciate it to help get it going.....but before I left a doctor my surgeons right hand man came up to me didn't introduce himself but just stared at me with another doctor for about 12 seconds, i wasn't to sure what they were staring at to be honest lol  i was fully dressed with make up on lol as i was waiting for them to introduce themselves i got fed up waiting and so i said " and you are?"  then they introduced themselves and i was like " well nice for you to actually finally introduce yourself" then he said to me i like your bag  please sit down but no how are you doing or how are you feeling quite bizarre and he said so you have had ACL surgery he was touching my knee wrong directions I was horrified surely a surgeons registrar  would know the difference from acl surgery to mpfl surgery i mean seriously i had medial sutures!! so basically the question is did my surgeons right hand man read my notes??... I was just so incensed !!!! Frustrated is not the word !! especially when your dealing with a professional athlete one wrong move and you could end their career! i appreciate the fact doctors are under pressure but i am just dumfounded as in what to say here pff!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 10:10:00 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2014, 09:12:34 AM »
Day 26 -physio - sore chest - knee is waking up quite quickly !!
So after the MUA which means manipulation under anthestist control, my knee seems to be waking up if feels more the ability to move but im have been finding since the MUA my chest has been sore while breathing so who knows how many gases they gave my lungs lol.... So I went to the physio today she managed to get it to 52 degree rom  they she said that's not good then I freaked out I said tell me what else do you want me to do swing from a tree? I do all the 12 exercises everyday 8 times a day  I walk up 10 flights of stairs a day and have help from a gym trainer!  For all we know the surgeon might have done it too tight and I wasn't given any physio consults until 5 weeks post op!!  I now have you and the surgeons asking what's happening I don't know! I have went from 3 hours in the gym everyday to this !!! A 50 degree rom!!
The physio they said we all heal at different rates,  some people don't mean to say it in a negative way, your body will tell you when it's ready to move and keep going ....but I want to work intense with you to see what is the main problem as right now your hamstrings are swollen and you have water in the knee which won't help.... So she gave me more exercises to do and see her again in 4 days.... I asked her how many surgeries does this physio department get per year for mpfl?? It shocked me what she said next around 15 a year!!! No wonder there is lack of information about this surgery....

Day 27- determined - hate crutches let's drop one - lack of knee sensation
So I woke up and I looked at my crutches and said stuff it I decided to drop one crutch and it was ok to walk on my leg seemed to like it better to be honest as I'm under pressure to get back to full fitness as I have a wrestling match in December.... I have also noticed from my knee to my shin is all numb the nerve sensation isn't great I have being done what the physio said rubbing my leg to stop the nerves from overreacting, and I also found I over flex my legs which doesn't surprise men when you have to fly out of a wrestling ring.....my tablets now only two a day of ibropfuen and the DVt injections...... My leg seems to be moving better on the one crutch now.... And today was the day where I managed to get out of bed myself without helping my leg which made me very happy but I still can't do a straight leg raise I know it will come in time

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2014, 11:01:36 AM »
Hi lucha

So sorry to hear what you're having to go through!!

It's so frustrating that there seems to be a lack of knowledge about mpfl reconstruction. I had to go to my GP last week to request different painkillers as the ones I was on were making me sick and she hadn't heard of the surgery before and I had to explain it to her.

Luckily my physio has heard of it though and she has actually worked with my surgeon in the past and she attended a seminar about the procedure just last month so I think I've totally lucked out there! Are you still stretching your knee to make it bend using the towel? That exercise has really helped me!

I have the same feeling on my shin, I've also found my skin is really really dry.
So I've been using moisturiser to massage my shin to help the nerve pain. I also have a few areas of total numbness but I've been reassured this is all normal.

Keep your chin up - it sounds like you're doing great despite what you've had to go through.

Emma

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2014, 03:11:54 PM »
End if week 3 picture

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2014, 03:26:03 PM »
Emma I understand what you mean with gp's in the uk, during the first two weeks of the surgery I spoke to 3 different gps and only one had an idea what it was the rest of the GP's and doctors and nurses did not have a clue and asked me to explain it to them they didn't know what it was. The go who did I felt sorry for him I was crying asking for codine phosphate and he Said to me oh I know this surgery is an evil painful surgery , they class it as one of the top 3 most painful to have on the knee.... I told my nhs surgeon the next time I have to explain to doctors what mpfl is  I'm going to go crazy, I shouldn't have to explain it to a doctor, but I suppose I have learnt and you as well Emma about this one surgery that we could do our own research on this.... And if any doctors read these blogs which I suspect they do should take note of these diaries to be able to understand what people feel and have after mpfl surgery, and see what complications we have ....

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2014, 10:42:11 PM »
Day 28-  tightness - determined - keep moving leg- knee on fire sensation
So been doing my 12 exercises 8 times a day 20 reps of each aswell as stairs, lunges, quad dances, knee cap dances etc...... My physio has been great, she has given me some great moves to do, it's made me more determination it sounds crazy but it can sometimes be frustrating to separate the muscle groups, like the quads the patellar tendons, the hamstrings the gleuts.....but you have to work at it,  my physio told me that due to the dislocations me leg keeps twisting itself inwards to protect itself,  and  it's bizarre she is right I have to try to stop it but she Said it will take time for the habit to change to make the body realise my knee is better....  So I keep pushing it to make my knee stronger and looser after so many dislocations in the past and my knee feeling loose and now the joint feels tight feels strange but it will only get better :)  wasn't a great sleep I had felt like knee was on fire, and cramping had to dose up on the painkillers it's a weird sensation but you just feel like your knee is on fire inside or very hot

Day 29-  physio,  - frustration -
So I go to the physio and she pushes me to the limits I managed to do a straight leg elevation which suprised my physio, I managed to put it down myself, she was impressed then she tried my range of movement my rom hadn't changed still 52 degrees by this point I was frustrated again and she said well at least it hasn't got worse you have maintained i still was frustrated, so she took me into the gym and got me up and down the stairs to see how I was doing and she was happy then she was looking at my notes and said I have to see you more often by what the surgeon has put, I was like wth??????So I said to the physio watch this take my crutch I was so frustrated and determined to walked I walked without a crutch  20 steps...... The physio looked in shock and said well done but why can't I bend my knee to 90 degree flex I wrestle I need to get it to flex !!!  The physio then replied your doing well but sometimes the body will when it's ready in its own time do it when it feels ready! I'm just baffled I look at research and it says I should be at full rom by now and I'm not....... I will see the surgeon in 17 days times......lots to vent at him lol
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:39:59 PM by lucha86 »

support