Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary  (Read 89174 times)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary
« Reply #645 on: September 07, 2016, 04:33:19 AM »
Wishing you all the very best for your surgery, Lucha! After all the dedication and determination you've shown, and the crazy things your doctors have put you through - I hope that this will be the start of the road to a real recovery. Keeping fingers crossed and thinking of you.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #646 on: September 07, 2016, 08:01:22 PM »
Hey snowy thank you for your best wishes I have had the surgery I have had just an acl reconstruction as the all ligament was intact but the tourniquet used in the op has ripped off some of my skin causing blisters on my thigh so I have a full acl brace on in 26 degree heat is mental I have been walking on it today it feels like less loose time will tell the surgeons walking around the ward with the physios were shocked how quickly I was up and running, but as I have had dvt risk in the past its best to get moving early and it so so stops the quadriceps from wasting away but it does feel a lot more stable internally. ...
So i'm loaded on a lot ofor drugs right now so time will tell and hopefully I can finally finished a knee issue of over 3 years

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 379
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #647 on: September 08, 2016, 08:27:00 AM »
Good luck for your recovery, take it slow and steady, follow the surgeon's protocol to the letter :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #648 on: September 08, 2016, 06:10:36 PM »
Hi Scuba,

Glad the surgery went smoothly for you, once he was inside there was not as much damage than first expected. Vicky is right to follow the OS'S protocol, something I neglected after scope #2! The long road to recovery starts now, will be worth it in the end if the surgery is successful this time round.

Good luck with your post-op PT sessions.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #649 on: September 09, 2016, 07:29:26 AM »
So its been a few crazy couple of days, left hospital on Wednesday in the massive thigh to ankle acl brace, but the tourniquet that they used in surgery to stop blood blow has ripped my skin and blistered it they didn't dress it when it happened in theatre which caused the brace to rub against it and a lot of the blisters have burst and got infected i got about 20 blisters on the leg, they wrote it down as a major incident so my gp has put me now on antibiotics to stop risk of infection going to joint area because the tourniquet line is 1/4 way up thigh so quite near knee....my gp was livid how my leg was left in that state, and the blisters were weeping now and wasn't impressed with the hospital thinks either they put a chemical on the tourniquet which burnt the skin or they tied it on too tight to begin with blew up the torniquet and the friction rubbed my skin away......because the problem i have is with the brace i have to wear it constantly and i cant let the blisters air so i have to have vaseline dressings

so there was another girl who had the same acl surgery as me and the brace also and my surgeons regristrar saw both of us at the same time, but he failed to mention how long to wear the brace for, the physios then came to us and asked us so how long you wearing the braces for? we looked and said we dont know the doctor didn't say anything, so the physio tried to follow up was ringing surgeon and the regristrar no reply after 6 hours in the end i said to them see the physio monday who is a senior physio who has 20 years experience so i will take his advice.. the physios said that would be the best idea as they cant get hold of the surgeons and cant advise me as there was no op notes in regards to the brace time  ::) ::)

But on a positive i do have a lot of swelling but my knee is feeling less weak inside, so that is a positive step moving forward and im doing very basic physio exercises closed kinetic patella stablisation quad holds etc......v :) ;)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #650 on: September 11, 2016, 09:56:59 AM »
how the knee is looking with the dressing from op

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #651 on: September 14, 2016, 05:09:01 PM »
so i have decided to do a youtube video channel on it you wont see me face or name or any information regarding any doctor related to my case as each case is individual basis so have a look there is two videos on the channel about the knee

its going well so far......

https://youtu.be/DxK6sxgwQAE

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #652 on: September 15, 2016, 04:04:06 AM »
Welcome to the other side! So sorry about the complications but delighted to hear that the knee feels less weak already - that's a fantastic sign. Best advice I can offer is what you've already heard - stick to the rehab protocol to the letter, DO NOT be tempted to push. It's a really hard mental adjustment (I am guessing even more so for an athlete than us weekend warriors) but with ACL surgery, the single most important thing is the "slow and steady" approach to rehab. It can be insanely frustrating at times when your muscles feel ready to go and do more, but the graft strengthening and bone healing can't be sped up and your most important job in rehab is to protect that fragile graft as it regains the strength it needs to get you back to where you used to be.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #653 on: September 17, 2016, 09:58:08 PM »
so far 10 days post op
im down to one crutch and the brace but the brace is causing me issues every time i wear it by the end of the day my leg and knee swells up, and i get mini blisters due to the swelling, and my leg goes stiff and i found myself cutting off my socks to get them off  :-\.....

im doing all my exercises post surgery i can raise my leg fine, my flexion is causing me concern as basically it sucks i think this was due to in the first week i have an extra 6 pounds worth of excess fluid in my leg due to the op and my leg not draining properly, i wear the brace in bed sleeping when i go out but in the house i have to take it off as i need to do my exercises and i also find this is releasing the swelling a lot more and having less blisters.... however my hospital contacted me to see how i was getting on i told them what i was doing with the brace... they told me they would mentioned it to my surgeon and for me to email the secretary within a day i got an email saying i must go and see the registrar this Monday as they are concerned and my surgeon is away on training that monday........

i also got tested for dvt recently i got a positive blood test back called the daimer they did the dopler ( scan) to find out it was a false negative reading and i didnt have a clot as after surgery within the first week after surgery the body can give false readings, as its been through trauma, and the torniquet that was too tight in the surgery that caused blisters and infection on my leg as it wasnt covered in theatre and they put the brace on didnt tell me walked around with it and woke up to a shower next day to find blisters burst blood everywhere...... so the doctor i saw regarding the knee about the dvt in the same hospital that i had the surgery said my leg wasnt draining the fluid well.............as the infection hadnt spread down the leg thank goodness...........

the hospital cancelled my physio appointment because of the dvt they wanted to check rather than physio  dont see him for another 10 days...so now i dont even know what stage i am at how well i am doing??... when you drop crutches on acl  etc?? how much flexion i should be at?? No one told me how long to wear the brace for an it wasn't on the post op notes and no notes were given to the physio and they told me to wait untill i speak with my physio which would be nearly 4 weeks post op......

just feel a bit like fish out of water as my flexion is like 30/40 degrees... but my quads are firing and my flexion is terrible...... and i fear an MUA  manipulation under anaesthesia

So im just using my prior knowledge that the physio has given me over 3 years, but i think the regristrar is going to give me answers, as i made it clear that no one is giving me answers and its impeding my recovery so fingers crossed i will get some answers monday  :) ;)

but ....... NO COLLAPSES SO FAR WOHOOOO!!! ;D ;) :) :D FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT if anyone can answer any of the questions regarding ACL recovery who have been through it it or who are medically qualified would be appreciatedon the diary or via private message =)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #654 on: September 21, 2016, 05:38:25 PM »
so i had a checkup with the registrar for my surgeon for my two week post op, i think he thinks my progress is good considering  i haven had a physio so i see my physio this monday and it will be nearly 3 weeks post surgery as the hospital i had the surgery rang my physio to cancel the appointment as they thought i had DVT..... he said my quad needs a bit more work but i can raise my leg and its firing he has a little concern about my flexion and the fact my knee doesnt rest on the bed....
i had 3 falls 4 days before i went for my post op checkup...where my left knee gave out and if people have been following this thread they would know i suffered a few double knee collapses before the surgery ...

the surgeon said it was a sprained mcl that was causing it in my left leg and he thought and mri wasnt needed before the surgery on my right,

so i explained this to him the registrar now i have a brace on my left knee and a full length brace on my right i currently look like a police riot officer ready to go into battle or a fake terminator.... i have had no collapses of the right knee, i dont think the surgeon expected the acl recon to stop the issue as im hypermobile, but my theory is if the main important thing is strengthened then it can only create a stronger scaffold....but even the registrar checked it with a lachmans and other test and even he said compared to before surgery its alot more sturdy....

so he has put me in these terminator braces on both legs to not cause any damage to the right knee so i will be in the brace for a total of 4-5 weeks...
i go back a week monday.... to speak with surgeon...... the registrar said he wants to act with caution he has agreed in my house i can take off the braces to concentrate on rehab but outside anywhere braces constantly,  as he doesnt want my left to go and i rip out the acl reconstruction........
so no right knee collapses so far, but left may have had enough with the pressure it has been put under and have to improve flexion..................
But no right knee collapses WOHOO!! =)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #655 on: September 23, 2016, 12:06:43 AM »
so after assessing what the doctor said about my knee... im a bit in shock..

So behind the patella/ knee cap i have a grade 3/4 for the cartilage wear, which has increased which is more than likely due to the collapses,
on the femur behind the patella the cartlidge is a grade 2-3, which has increased since  March scope the surgeon did....to have a look only...

I have wear and tear grade two on the lateral side of the knee joint, which has increased since March is where the pivot shift and ACL injury i supposed caused stress on that area.......
then i didnt have this in March but they had to blast away bone spurs as my joint had signs of arthritis...... :-[

OMG! i thought in my head, im glad i fought for this and it shows all the collapses i was having from March to September and before that were having a detrimental effect on the health on my knee.........
i remember asking the registrar " has this happened because of the collapses of the knee?" i got a silence...... which i suppose answered my question.....

i cant change the decisions of my past or the surgeons i had in the past,  but at least now i know i had the right faith and hope in me to fight for my health and knee.... yes in some ways some people may say oh dont argue with a doctor or don't ask for a second opinion but in this case as it's already shown, i was right too..., don't be afraid to ask questions its your body and your health, if you know something is wrong go with your instinct.........

you know some doctors make act intimidated with your knowledge and not like you to ask too many questions etc because they are use to doing it their way and no questions being asked..... but what i say is this.......
if a doctor is making the decision for you so your life is in their hands you have no control, so why should you not have the right to know every single detail before signing up for things rather than be fobbed off ??
With long term cases i think some doctors do find it hard to deal with especially when other surgeons have been involved as they don't want to step on each others toes........but its the basic form that needs to be remembered ...patient care.....and the quality and the safety of the patient......

i hope mine has shown today how acting on gut instinct and asking questions and sometimes having a rather stubborn approach with your gut, can save your joint....

so far no collapses............. ;) :)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #656 on: September 29, 2016, 02:21:38 PM »
so far i have had no right knee collapses, my left knee isnt playing game though as it was causing me jip before the surgery today it gave out luckily had a crutch and still wear brace but hit my head and got a gash on my head and massive bruise and i see the surgeon monday great so im trying to get my right leg to do more in the brace to help the left leg and my gp has given me a higher dose of morphine to stop swelling issue of joints, dont really feel pain its just the swelling....
but my right knee no collapses whoooppp!!  :) :) :) :)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #657 on: October 04, 2016, 08:39:16 PM »
so happy to report post 4 weeks my right knee hasnt collapsed...... wohoo  :D
my surgeon thinks my left knee is still overcompensating and causing the collapses. and will see me in another 8 weeks to check on it....... he is shocked to see how far i have come my surgeon and my physio they are both astounded and they believe my pre surgery plan of leg days every day has rapidly improved my recovery.....im now riding bikes =))

I  have to be honest here this my sound bad but suppose in a way to begin with i didnt get on with the new surgeon as sometimes i felt when i used my knowledge he probably has never had a patient know so much medical knee terminology that he didnt know how to react except be intimidated by it would always fold his arms pierced mouth and crossed legs, and me and him always had conflict in each consultation but with his regristrar i never did amazing guy.....

and after 3 years of being felt like i was fobbed off i was fighting for my ability to live, which i dont think many surgeons understand and they want easy cases In a way i started to try to avoid the surgeon and go through the registrar as i felt he was more approachable and kind and never acted intimidated by me my surgeon was one of the top 10 knee surgeons in the UK so i thought to myself get my knee sorted then everything will be ok.....also i suppose for him other surgeons oversights missing things i suppose he didn't want to get involved in a situation that could effect him or his career.

So i gave the surgeon a card with a thank you but i asked for honour and respect by being honest and open to him and only felt it could make things better and is constructive but i was honest about some things too in the card, that sometimes how we act around others actions have consequences and this can create judgements and reputations, but i thank him for helping me get my life back and for getting involved in a situation which was rather full of mistakes...

I think we have made steps to become more happier in our consultations but i think he is happier to see how something he thought might not work has worked....
I think with a lot of hypermobility patients surgeons throw them aside as we are probably to them damaged goods, because they fear touching us as it could cause other issues,

So i saw him,  on Monday when they said the regristrar was away i was like "Here we go, nerves and ideas of this is going to be conflict again...just couldnt be bothered to have a conversation with conflict...... my knee had be sorted i just though in my head breathe you will be fine!

But to my astounding he had changed completely changed, i didn't know what to say to him or how to take him as i was so use to conflict between us that even when i used my terminology complete open hands body language and i felt more at ease once i got use to it, he explained everything, checked if i needed anything  he kept smiling etc. I was a bit dumbfounded lol
Maybe some doctors do forget the basics when they are stressed out, and sometimes there is a breakdown in communication when we try to express ourselves, sometimes all any human wants is a smile, and simple respect and this can go miles.........

I gave one to his registrar who is lovely and i cannot fault kind man, and has a sense of empathy any time you speak and if i need a knee replacement in 20 years i will go to him lol and i said in the card for him to never change his consultation technique and to never become arrogant or ego like amongst patients because the way he does things now is gaining him great respect and reputation amongst his patients the registrar read the card smiled i could see in the eyes it meant a lot as they were watery and sincere, and he kept thanking me for it.... and i also gave a card to the medical secretary as she was amazing throughout.....

I gave a card to two nurses who had helped me throughout one cried and i explained to her each card i wrote to each person took me 30 minutes because i wanted it to be sincere,
i think the centre team liked me as i was honest and sincere............

i think this has taught me alot myself but its taught me to make sure you check what surgeons specialise in to get the right outcome, to check an asked questions dont be ill informed......

I have found out i must use donor tissues as im hypermobile but on my MPFL and autograft was used if i knew i was hypermobile i would have done donor tissue but i thought my surgeon would choose the right graft and i have been told it might fail and go lax as it was my own tissue used, and more likely will knee further surgery in the future to correct the teh oversight or issue due to my ex surgeons decision it shows sometimes we put out faith in surgeons to make the right decision for us but sometimes its better to research the information before agreeing to something because you believe the surgeon has the best interest for you.......

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #658 on: October 11, 2016, 01:00:16 AM »
im happy to report no collapses of the right leg so far (now 5 weeks post op)
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

My left is still collapsing occasionally but in comparison to what my right knee use to im beginning to feel a sense of ..... life........

My physio i saw he saw my walking he smiled "How does it feel?" i remember smiling but i explained to him that its no longer rotating and very tight so i have to mentally say to myself its normal, after years of rotational joint, to go to a stable is strange, but oh does it feel so good. He then asked me "No collapses?"

I smiled got a bit emotional smiled and said"no " he smiled patted me and i think my physio has been with me for so long and so many years now, that the silence between us we and smiling we had an understanding how much it mean to me i had no collapses, otherwise i would have broken down in tears of joy otherwise.......

as there were students physios around listening in he is a senior physio so i suppose he teaches them and could see them listening in.......... but none  were allowed in my consult with him..........

he say he would leave me to do my rehab and check on me every couple of weeks as he said im fully capable and im a stubborn girl and knows what to do lol, but not to push it and i must baby the joint.......so i already have been warned........lol

I suppose one thing i wish some doctors were aware of was the basics such as the brighton criteria score the beighton criteria score which both evaluate every joint under hypermobility and the basics of MRI i would not have been here three years on......

, my journey of knee issues has been a emotional roller coaster, its ups and downs its unexpected corners, ive nearly broke but im hoping i see the light now, for all the physios in the hospital to check on me and be so happy for me, to see me stable and happy shows how great physios are .....i think they saw how much i fought for a second opinion over a surgeon with 20 years experience within the same hospital, and for me to be correct that something was wrong is generally not heard of the patient and physio being right over the surgeon........but the way i see it is we are all human errors can occur.....

yes doctors give a diagnosis but sometimes physios can pick up on issues more than surgeons can as they deal with joints everyday..........if it wasn't for my physio noticing my knee issues and helping me get a second opinion i would have been in a worse situation.

Now i feel hope again because i have achieved something i haven't had in a long time...... a smile on my face.....my life given back to me.......the ability to walk without fear of collapse...

and finally ...... i can now kick a ball with my young nephew  ;D :D

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #659 on: October 16, 2016, 04:47:23 PM »
so no collapse for right knee thank goodness after 3 years !!  ;D ;) :)
But my left medial side is still a bit buggered lol it keeps going often and like everyone knows this happened before the surgery so im trying not to jeopardise what i have gained in my right knee......
Its hard but im feeling positive the main thing is no collapses i mean my extension is still not great flexion is ok but that should come with time, otherwise my surgeon will quite literally kill me in over 4 weeks times! lol trust me i don't want anymore conflict with my surgeon too tired of it.!
its funny because im still trying to cycle on the bike i can get to 90% then leg stops i had one girl say to me at the gym "your not oing anything why you at they gym anyway."
so i decided to blurt out "Well listen before this surgery where they drilled brand new ligaments into my knee with donor tissue from a deceased person, and put screws in my joint to hold them together i was in the gym 6 times a week, so before you create a judgment consider a person situation !!
well that wiped the smile off her face lol...........

support