Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary  (Read 97175 times)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
Re: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary
« Reply #600 on: May 07, 2016, 10:50:29 PM »
looks like i might need some help with this knee 7 collapses today ...........cryocuff is me new boyfriend lol

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 409
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #601 on: May 07, 2016, 11:01:08 PM »
Should you not use an ACL brace to provide stability and prevent further damage?
What are you doing when this happens, have you stopped gym work?
When do you see the surgeon again?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 10:02:57 AM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #602 on: May 08, 2016, 12:07:21 AM »
So i have thought about many questions today being near the brink, of a completely broken down knee.....
i begin to question a few things,.......

Hyper mobility and a damaged ACL surely any physical doctor would comprehend that by having mobility already creates some form of instability, but having the main structure ligament of the knee which stabilises the knee which is the ACL, and having femoral lateral compartment fissuring due to the instability caused with the injury, that there is some evidence to suggest an ACL reconstruction should be done....however
I read an article where there has been some struggles with surgeons with ligament laxity and ACL reconstruction about using more artificial grafts than normal body tissues due to risk of laxity,
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/crior/2015/160381/

So then i question myself and think then if my previous ex surgeon was aware of my laxity and hyper mobility why was a normal hamstring used for my MPFL reconstruction rather than an artificial?
I then question myself and think how many surgeons have treated cases of hyper mobility, do surgeons fear these cases, due to the laxity and risk of issues associated with it, because of the lack of knowledge or research associated with it and try to avoid touching these patients at any cost.....?

Im now left with a knee with has a chronic ACL deficient knee  grade 2 injury due to an old injury that got missed, on top of the hyper mobility, the knee is not at its full stability and now my femur and lateral compartment is suffering because of it, three years gone, that i cant get back, and now with another 6 collapses, i feel let down, as if no one wants to sort out the issue  :'(
My surgeon said to my knee one who i cant fault as he has been honest with me wants to do this
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/crior/2013/648908/

if my physio fails, which my physios have already near enough have promised me it will lol they cant comprehend how after two years it will change in 3 months.......

Lessons that could have been learnt i suppose is how many doctors are fully aware in orthopaedics of Ehlos Dhanlos or Hyper mobility?? some don't even know to check teeth for hyper mobility loss of teeth can be a sign of this my new surgeon checked this by my ex surgeon did not, if you have hyper mobility also a orthopaedic surgeon should know the ACL has a high chance or probability of being injured....?? Again i suppose comes down to education and experience.......

my point is why should i be the one struggling???

...because someone failed to admit they didn't have the answer, we are all human surely a doctor could appreciate more that we would respect them more if we get transferred to a person who can give them the answer....

I just want is sorted and fixed now that i have the correct diagnosis i just want my life back, i just feel tired because three years of collapses knocks back your confidence, all i want is my quality of life back, just feeling a bit upset i suppose today leg in agony and i keep trying to make it strong and its working against me

in regards to your questions vickster there is abit of disagreement on the brace front as i have had an MPFL reconstruction and now i have a dodgey ACL injured, it can inhibit the VMO and the quadriceps, so my physio says its better not to wear it and my surgeon is like yes and no because the issue lies with the mpfl reconstruction......

when these collapses happen doing the rice technique or using a crutch, and resting it but physios are adamant i keep it moving with the rehab as otherwise again the vmo and quads will inhibit and they are saying unless i get through the next 7 weeks they are not sure if the surgeon would say yes..... as im 7 weeks away.. i see surgeon around 1st of july..... it will be an interesting conversation but i will have paperwork with all the collapses i have......

« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 12:10:45 AM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #603 on: May 12, 2016, 10:22:35 PM »
guess the dodgey one lol as you can tell my knee has been reacting like this for the past two years i dont wear a brace but you can see the difference of when you have worked it out constantly to train to gain strength

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #604 on: May 12, 2016, 10:40:03 PM »
so crutches have become recently then i decided to get off them and i went for a walk with my friend as i nearly got hit by a car crossing a road as my knee collapsed, went so i have written a letter to my surgeon to express my concern regarding that and safety issues, as my knee is getting unpredictable still i think its best to raise my concerns get it added to the hospitals notes so it protects me......... luckily enough my friend stop the car at the busy junction,.........

so i have been carrying on with the rehabilitation, still going i had to pay 80 to a physio to put it back in over a weekend as just was rotating way too much! and he said it want sitting well the joint so he managed to get it sorted an manipulate it for me rather than wait 10 hours in a and e,

still doing the croycuff and RICE and will see my physio this coming week so he should check how everything is.... just keep swimming i suppose lol keep going lol if i dont laugh i will cry lol

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #605 on: May 16, 2016, 05:02:51 PM »
Hi Lucha,

Sorry that you are still having regular collapses, I am glad you are in once piece after nearly getting run over! Was it at a pelican crossing when your knee gave in as I have seen drivers going through amber and even red and zebra crossing are very hazardous! Many drivers often do not see that someone is waiting to cross and drive straight through.

Shame that you have to wait for a while till the actual surgery, from the link you have given it looks like a fairly invasive surgery to go through. Hopefully having a top OS doing a ACL Revision surgery will stop the knee from collapses post-op.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #606 on: May 17, 2016, 08:44:32 PM »
it was a traffic light just off a roundabout with cars coming off a motorway which was rather fearful but i sent the letter as i said to the surgeon.....
my physio can see the muscle is gathering pace again but is still concerned as he said:-

"you can build all the quads you want as you have been doing but if your acl goes again there is nothing for the acl to fall back on it is a main ligament vital in the joint of your knee...."

my person trainer keeps going training the leg as advised by the physio but he sees it keep shaking and he keeps saying " less is more but i cant fathom what your surgeon is thinking.?"

so for future reference apparently if you get a new surgeon all physio you have done before them is counted as non existent so you have to do physio to prove you have done it to your new surgeon as its under a different care provider........

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:22:01 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #607 on: May 21, 2016, 07:22:47 PM »
so it goes from bad to worse i have been having same amount of collapses but i had a major fall a couple of weeks back due to the acl deficient knee i remember my vision going funny and thought it was concussion so i just dealt with it got on with it........

however my sight got worse and ended up going to get my sight checked by an optician they rushed me to speak to my gp who after a few weeks  since the fall of distorted vision floaters and flashes got me to an eye clinic i was to be honest just recovering from 5 nosebleeds related to the eye and another collapse too... as i have only had it since that particular fall and the car incident wasn't effecting the head he believed it to be from the stair fall, the doctor was rather shocked and said the trauma i had he was shocked by and i explained all my collapses etc but the stair ones is where i fell front forward hit my head too and remember my vision going funny from that point my eye sight had changed as before that i had perfect eyesight.

then the eye doctor informed me i have trauma at the back of the eye due to fall and collapse of leg if the damage gets bigger or worsens i might need eye surgery, so now worse case scenario is eye surgery on one of my eyes on top of knee surgery but if the stays the same i wont......

but for me the knee surgery is the priority because if i can stop the collapses i stop the falls and further damage because what is the point if only if i need eye surgery then my knee collapses i fall again then i damage the eye surgeons work.... am i scared yes.... am i livid .... yes .... because now its effecting my sight and im scared.....
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 03:04:27 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #608 on: May 29, 2016, 05:28:09 PM »
so a quick update-
knee has been getting no better the original MPFL has been hurting a lot recently on top the the collapses im not getting a sports massage to try to keep the leg going as i cant lose the quadriceps that i have built otherwise i will have problems my physio said its vital to keep the quadricep there my physio is right in what he said that a ligament cannot repair itself and even if i build all the muscle group up..... i have recorded every single collapse and sent it to the surgeon too....

my eyesight is still the same sometimes i have worse days than others...

my knee i have been attaching a stimulation machine to it to try to helps it when the knee collapses and cryocuff.... so when you look at it to see what i am doing to keep the leg going and what i have bought and paid out for its a bit crazy to keep it going through its instability and now im finding it hard to read at my computer so im hoping i will receive the letters through from the eye doctor soon enough......
you begin to questions ethics now and safety as my eye and sight has been effected how can anyone leave a patient in a position like that i cannot fathom its safety care an ethics??  its just so frustrating and i just feel let down.........

honestly i think this whole experience has made me have a complete fear of doctors now,

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #609 on: May 29, 2016, 06:00:07 PM »
I expect unfortunately it's not a question of ethics but of protocols partly driven by a lack of funding in the NHS. Assuming you are clinically eligible, If you can find a way to go private perhaps you should look into it  (ACL recon probably up to 12k with a top surgeon at a London hospital). Many hospitals offer instalment plans for payment. It shouldn't be like this, but unfortunately it is in the modern overstretched NHS for elective surgeries.

You could even look into other ligament experts like Jonathan Bell who only practice privately (he's in Wimbledon, possibly elsewhere like Harley Street)

Good luck :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 06:02:34 PM by Vickster »
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #610 on: May 29, 2016, 07:36:25 PM »
Hi Lucha,

Really sorry to hear what you are currently going through, I wish you could be helped out sooner rather then dragging it out! It is clear that you require ACL reconstruction surgery ASAP, with the regular knee collapses on top of our eyesight problems.

Do not want to sound too personal would having a counselling session be helpful with all the strain stress and anxiety that you are bravely enduring right now. I found it helpful seeing my psychologist when I am feeling stressed out. They are trained to deal with clients that are depressed and feeling down.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:15:50 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #611 on: May 30, 2016, 07:10:21 AM »
i think im ok nick im just rather frustrated lol i think my gym is my output especially battleropes lol
i looked into it vickster and that 12,000 doesnt cover and complications either so if you have a complications then
you have to pay for them to...... so its alot of cash to pay out if anything goes wrong

i agree with you vickster than the nhs is overstretched but i think if there was communication and the ability for each surgeon to be honest then it would help, so i have just under 4 weeks now to wait sent all the info to the surgeon etc but have to wait for eye information

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #612 on: May 30, 2016, 09:07:04 AM »
Think positive. If you have one of the best surgeons as you say, why should anything go wrong? And there's always the NHS if your surgeon does both. 12k is top whack, how much is an ACLr privately with your guy? Many charge half that. There are fee controls that cover surgeon and anaesthetist if they are within the wpa schedule . Premier hospitals like the Welington will of course whack the price up but most hospitals don't charge so much. There are lots of variables  :)
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #613 on: May 31, 2016, 11:10:49 AM »
Yes I got an estimate through vickster for around 12k for this surgeon and as you know by the figure this surgeon works in one of the top hospitals........lol don't want to name names etc.....
I think under 4 weeks isn't long to wait to see and then judge it from there....... As I see this surgeon in under four weeks ...where I live it's around 5k for an acl reconstruction but then it's a whole process if finding a good surgeon and if physios are telling me this guy is the best I've got I should stick with him.....
As we know from previous experience lol my acl injury got missed and it's hard to put a lot of trust back into another doctor I suppose ......... So that's why I'm sticking with this surgeon as many people say he's experienced

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #614 on: May 31, 2016, 12:18:43 PM »
Makes sense. All the best :)
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15