Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary  (Read 106267 times)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
Re: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary
« Reply #480 on: August 14, 2015, 11:03:37 PM »
Cryocuff and this stuff knee collapsed several times again will post an explanation in next hour or so ... :'(

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #481 on: August 15, 2015, 12:18:03 AM »
so im not the best of writers, but i write the way i feel is best, in a rather sarcastic bemusing way......
So today was rather eventful......
i got out of bed walked about 10 steps knee collapsed on me... i got up knee was very lax, my physios told me not to use bracing on it and to keep going on it last week so thats what i did...........

second time was walking to work, my femur when over my tibia kneecap was going mad everywhere then tried to reign back in my kneecap fell flat on my backside.......  got up managed to get to work.....

noticed throughout the day my knee was getting hot so iced it...... and put it up.... then..........

Fourth time knee collapsed totally and my fell down two stairs managed to break my fall, now foot has gone numb knee is pretty much swollen and buggered and now currently cryocuffing my knee and icing it aswell as using that gel cream on my leg............and foot and knee is numb.... my physio told me last time that when your knee collapses or dislocated you can hit the nerve my physio is currently on holiday till the 25th of this month so ..............

so just got to keep going on a gammy leg .......... im trying my best im doing all the exercises the physio has given me and the gym workouts too the physio has given me, never did i expect one surgery to finish near enough my sports career, effect my quality of life to such a extent, i will keep asking questions till i get a  diagnosis i feel after still having instability i need a diagnosis because there is no clarity and for sure no doctor is touching my leg or hips etc or any part of my lower limb till i have  things in black and white..............let me just go and bang my head on a wall lol or have a good cry lol

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #482 on: August 15, 2015, 10:44:31 PM »
so today was not great........ went over in the shower knee collapsed........
luckily for me managed to get a video recording of my knee just again well frickin plain weird very lax loose rolling back on itself forward, just basically not control of the joint..... and you an even see it go....
the knee is just shifting in different directions, and im thinking to myself something is clearly not right....

So now i have photos and video to prove this its a good thing i suppose something in black and white i have to show the surgeon...... or doctor....... or whoever pffff

So basically i am now still doing the physio but have lost all confidence in this knee as i now have a cryocuff on my knee quadricep is screwed again, i refuse to let any doctor touch it because some dont know what mpfl is and i wont let any other doctor touch my knee untill i have STATED FACTS in black and white as in checks for q angle dysplasia etc............
so somehow i have to hobble into work tomorrow and try to keep going on it....... sense of normality.... bah humbug !! lol its just ridiculous........... normality doesnt exist currently because my knee goes whenever it likes ........... :'( :'( :'( :'(  well at least i have one good knee lol

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #483 on: August 16, 2015, 08:31:54 AM »
Knee after cryocuff use

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #484 on: August 17, 2015, 09:39:44 AM »
Hi Lucha

I can't believe what you're having to go through, it's really unfair and sounds quite dangerous if your knee is unstable as it could go at any time, on stairs, crossing roads etc.

Maybe you should go to A&E and see what they say? It seems crazy that you have to wait until your physio is back for someone to look at it. Can you phone your surgeon?

Hope things start to get better soon!

Emma

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #485 on: August 17, 2015, 12:41:06 PM »
Hey Emma I had thought about it but I thought generally they just give me crutches and don't know what to do lol
So I rang my gp to see if they could give me the x ray result for the hip the lady said originally there was nothing there and said oh is your surgeon Mr...... I said yes and then she said oh no you need to speak with your surgeon about the xray....   I can't comment or give you information on this x ray.... Hmmmm....makes me wonder what's in there because surley i should be allowed to know my own data? lol

If I don't get anything from the Secretary by end of day tmrw I will ring her on Wednesday she's a nice lady
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 05:33:50 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #486 on: August 18, 2015, 12:37:48 PM »
So I rang the sectary who is lovely for my surgeon and she said he has just got back from holiday and she will remind him to check the x ray - say knee collapsed an hour ago after ringing the secretary but now I'm at a stage where I feel I'm at no loss what I do next .......
I just don't want to be fobbed off I just want answers my quality of life sucks so I'm thinking about
Next things to consider "........I'm 29 I didn't expect a surgery to destroy my quality of life so far  in a case of two weeks I have had over 30 collapses ......

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #487 on: August 18, 2015, 08:07:04 PM »
So surgeon rang me after a long hissy fit tears  down the phone he has agreed to the ct scan.......I don't think my surgeon got a word in edge ways ....... I was so annoyed I let it all out I shouldn't be left in a state of disrepair I'm 29 ...........
To check all measurements etc......... My hip is clear which is a positive
But honestly I said to the surgeon I wasn't happy and my quality of life sucked as it was going and collapsing at ridiculous rates and said if I don't have answers soon I would put in a formal complaint as my quality of life is deplorable  ...... I fell in a road the other day as my knee collapsed luckily a walker by stopped the car coming ..... She helped me up.........things like this is when you think it sucks........

In a way today I have fully lost faith in medicine ........... I lose 80kg in weight still have issues with the mpfl in wrestling I took a risk as the surgeon have me the belief I would be back in the ring in no time ......
I still go to the gym everyday see the physios and try my best to build everything then knee collapses and screws it all up and start again......... I have said to my surgeon I have had this since I was a kid and it's still here.....

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #488 on: August 20, 2015, 12:33:51 PM »
So it went again managed to get hold of a physio who told me to keep going on at the gym and not to wear the brace as suggested by the surgeon as it will inhibit more.......
I will post a picture later on today to show size of knee....
Will wait for the ct scan for angles etc and if my surgeon doesn't have an answer I will put in a complaint   said to my   surgeon before even when my vmo he agreed was strong it still went went mpfl recon  I would never want to put a complaint in about a surgeon as I know how hard they work but my knee is still collapsing and have to consider my quality of life and I can't drive as my knee keeps going too....
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 12:36:44 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #489 on: August 20, 2015, 08:50:52 PM »
got a few shots of my knee in the gym it still is swollen but doing leg press as physio has advised me to even though its still collapsing

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #490 on: August 20, 2015, 09:31:10 PM »
My opinion on MPFL RECONSTRUCTION........DOCTORS.. SURGEONS......PHYSIOS
So want i wanted to make clear not everyones recovery is the same and we all have different obstacles,

TO DATE
MPFL RECONSTRUCTION MAY 2014, MUA JUNE 2014 AS LEG TRIPLE SIZE JUNE 2014, RECURRING INSTABILITY POST SURGERY,  CHonDROPLASTY MEDIAL PLICA EXCISION, ATHROSCOPY JUNE/JULY 2015 STILL HAVING COLLAPSES and lost excess weight.........

so as you can tell my road, has been rather stormy, some wrestlers always keep telling me is not always about waiting for the storm to pass, its how to dance in the storm and get through it.... I took on a Mpfl reconstruction with the belief it would get me back into sport, it did for a little while but still had issues with the joint, even front he start after the mpfl reconstruction knee rolling back on itself collapsing dislocating etc...........

I should have been braver and questioned more quicker, i think as patients we all put our trust in surgeons doctors etc, but what my independent doctor said to me, is its your joint its your life the most important thing is your quality of life and how it effects you..........fight for quality of life dont sit in silence.......

So post 2 years near enough im not wrestling having to end my wrestling contract in December 2016, knee is still collapsing and semi dislocating, falling down stairs and unable to do so basic tasks.... even though im doing everything its exactly the same symptoms i have had since i was a child.....

So now i am becoming very vocal to my surgeon, as for me sometimes doctors forget the basics of humanity feelings and emotions, people with patella instability or knee instability have to live with it on a daily basis, and when they say they understand how can they? when your leg collapses in a street while walking going down stairs or in the middle of a busy road with traffic.... quality of life i argue by this point is deplorable because the basic daily life is effected, and should be fought for to find a solution...... im sure if a doctor dealt had this they would think rather differently.........

Should i have to cry and have a hissy fit down a phone to a surgeon because my knee has collapsed in two weeks 30 times?? No but it got to a point where i had to release everything i felt because i felt like my opinion was being listened to and with the quality of life being at a low, and after me working so hard to shed the excess weight, collapses damaging and effecting my other knee, surely in a doctors eyes this shows a patient is having problems??  I then questioned something i thought to myself if a doctor was more honest would it be more helpful for the patient rather than putting barriers up against a patient?

Even after my hissy fit i felt bad, because im so placid and i know doctors deal with alot of stuff..... my surgeon had helped me alot... normally but all this instability is just affecting my ability to lead a good quality of life and its worse than before, and im doing everything the physio has asked me to do, and i feel like i have just been left to fend for myself at the side of a road, and get on with it  with a knee thats totally deplorable and bad, i then question should i be left in that state... no i shouldnt so that why now i question as my independent doctor has asked me to do........

I feel doctors surgeons and physio should talk more together i feel that doctors could learn alot from physios rather than reading things in literature, life is the greatest teacher by learnign through others in a hands own approach in mprl rehab or recovery i would say stick with the physios advice rather than the doctors............

my faith in doctors has gone, as no one can seem to give me an answer.... hope doesnt exist i just do what the physio says and get on with it its all i can do till i get the scan results... im left with a knee that does whatever it wants and will collapse whenever it likes and people keep checking when im all right when it goes my company wont let me drive the company car as my knee is a hazard .......
so you could say im a rather peeved person just plodding on lol

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #491 on: August 21, 2015, 07:30:06 PM »
Hi Lucha,

It always interesting to follow your post-op diary as it is valuable hands on information of what you are currently going through right. It will help others in a similar scenario to what you are going through right now. Also medical professionals can learn a lot from members post op diaries on KG and your write well making it easier to read.

We are twins in that we both had medial plica excision and never really recovered from that surgery that not the best thing to be saying to you with your present knee problems. I also had my fat pad trimmed which might be the reason why I am getting pain and discomfort at the bottom of my knee by the tibia.

Instability is a good word to be using as pain wise I am fine until I try to kneel, squat or increase my walking pace! If I try to attempt to run my right knee instability stops me as the pain is too intense feeling pressure being pressed onto my right ankle! Do you feel this sensation after your surgeries.

My knee does not give out as much now thanks to PT and swimming but I know the knee still not right and not as stable as it should be! I was not to chuffed the other day when an lady more than twice my age overtook me walking in the street. I think we get use to our slower walking pace, we only notice it when others older then pass us by.

Sorry you may have to end your wrestling contract in December 2016, I had to give up running long distance since January 2013 to present day. You might still have time to get your knee sorted out before your contract expires. I am not yet going to give up getting back into long distance cross country running again. One must never give up hope, that can be hard to imagine at this point in our never ending knee problem journey!

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #492 on: August 22, 2015, 12:14:51 AM »
hey nick
yes well i think doctors have alot to learn we are all human and we all learn no one knows the answer to everything lol.....

for me the word instability i agree is the best thing to use as when a doctor tells me ok describe it and i say joint goes very lax moves about, femur jolts over tibia knee cap goes mental and moves and semi dislocated  reign leg back in acl and PCL get knocked backed let hyperextends backwards and fall down as knee collapses knee cap cracks back into place......... and its not till after the collapse my knee feels more stable and thats what i have been having since i was a kid.........

so you can imagine when i tell the doctors this it always comes under the great word of "Instability" because its so varied and so many techniques need to be looked out for a single joint lol i think everyones knee problems are so unique sometimes its hard to pinpoint the exact issues it is very much like trail and error..... but there is only so much trial and error one patient can take before you ask questions lol

as you can tell not a fun experience every time i have a collapse lol thats why i have been having a few hissy fits recently lol

my knee has gone again today got a big ice pack on it quads are shaking just got to wait for it to settle. just give up now seriously lol  I said it to my surgeon tis a never ending battle with knee instability because you build everything up and the collapses still cause you problems because they inhibit your muscle groups and you build it up again same thing happens its a double edged sword...... but still keep plodding on lol

if i try to run for about 12 seconds knee goes and foot then goes too due to pressure, and that happened even when muscle was strong lol.............

it sounds bad to say this but i feel now my surgeon is listening to me after my hissy fit, but all i want is an answer and no one is even touching my knee till their is clear indications in black and white.......
all i know right now is i have small kneecaps, i have hypermobility and a high TT-TG.......so something isnt quite right so will wait to see when i get this scan............. a regristar once said to me my knee is normal anatomy, well the independent doctor agreed, that he was wrong as i have small kneecaps high tt-tg and hypermobility and hyper extension so something is abnormal lol dont you love how doctors argue cases, but the basic thing is they FORGET their patient lol.......
For me i would prefer a doctor to be 100%honest with me than lie...........
so tonight probably going to sleep with a cryocuff to ease the swelling and read some uselful information that the independent doctor sent me about patella instability and medial reefng

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4295690/
http://www.aafp.org/afp/2007/0115/p194.html

it was funny even some people noticed today at work some people noticed my knee was massive and said was i ok?? did i need ti do less walking on it or some ice? but i didnt notice it it felt full of fluid but not as big as it looked.... so lets hope the cryocuff works.....
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 12:17:08 AM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #493 on: August 23, 2015, 09:30:46 PM »
so today im unsure what to do knee is acting up lax and flexing everywhere and it gave out at work i feel like the back of my kneecap has been scratched and just to add insult to injury my left knee made a massive crack when the other randomly collapsed out seriously peeved so i have several options.....

1) ring private physio which cost 50 to see their opinion dunno if back from holiday
2) get a note from the gp to ask for a crutch usage for a week till my leg recovers, and get my gp to check it when generally they dont have a clue what mpfl is and look at you and scratch their head. so they generally give you a note anyway because they dont know what to do with you and you seem to know more than them
3) wear a brace but the physio told me not to when the surgeon said it might help haha contradictions dont you love it lol
4) get it check at hospital which would lead to 5 hour wait and another scratch of the head and more likley sent home on crutches and back to a fracture clinic lol
5) just keep limping and hope for the best lol

oooooooooooohhhhhhhhh the choices lol......... so in a period of nearly three weeks my knee has collapsed in different severities given out and semi dislocated over 50 times.......so now is it a case of damage control ?/ even though my physio wants me to keep going even if it collapses.......

trying to avoid surgeon as getting no sense of clarity......just want it sorted and an answer.... and my knee keeps giving out and i dont think my surgeon can fully comprehend how a collapsing knee can effect someones life lol even though he has been helpful ...... my knee is slightly bruised today which i get with some of the collapses for the past 15 years dunno what decision is best to do will think about it....... feeling  in a rather witty mood lol

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #494 on: August 24, 2015, 10:00:05 AM »
Hi Lucha

If you are trying to avoid the surgeon, are you waiting for someone else to get back to you about your knee? I think i'd be inclined to go to A+E and just tell them you need someone to look at your knee as you can't continue the way you are!

Maybe go to a different hospital if that's possible? There might be another knee surgeon there who can help?

It must be so confusing as everyone is giving you conflicting options and advice on what to do! I just think it sounds really unfair that you've just been left to deal with such an unreliable knee!

Emma