Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary  (Read 88427 times)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
Re: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2014, 07:04:31 PM »
What I have learnt at end of week 4 .....
1) massage the knee and areas of surgery as it stops the nerves from over-reacting
2) don't think just do it... It has been shown distracting ourselves and forms of meditation can help to move the joint quicker.....
3) dry skin with this surgery- Vaseline aloe vera is the best for it.....
4) and fire sensations in leg deep tissue rub works best to stop it
5) hyper extension of knees can cause problems post surgery ( which I didn't know I had!)
5) finally the mpfl is getting looser
6) not to get too excited walking without  crutches first time doing it as your muscles start reacting in weird ways! Bit by bit is best
7) people who have patellar instability in extreme cases are know to turn their leg slightly inwards as it's how the muscles cope with the lack of instability.... So it takes time to retrain the muscles after mpfl surgery .. Which is interesting ....... New research which the physio told me about.....
8) the pain is nothing now compared to the first two weeks the first two weeks were terrible now I'm on only one tablet a day compared to 25 a day in the first 4 days ........"

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2014, 08:53:25 PM »
The dry skin was terrible! Thankfully I seem to have it under control now but it was just another thing that was driving me crazy for the first few weeks!

How are you finding walking? I am trying to walk "normally" but I'm not quite there yet! Do you still use your crutches? I am down to one now

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2014, 09:32:16 PM »
Hey Emma I hope your doing ok yes I'm the same as you I'm down yo one crutch I hot frustrated the other day with my physio and surgeon and I managed go walk without crutches but my range if movement is stil terrible sounds frustrating but I think I'm more frustrated that I keep trying to flex the joint and get more rom ( range of movement) but it's not happening, I think because I'm sporty generally it's frustrating to be at 50 rom and be walking like herr flick from the series allo allo  when I can just about now elevate my eg standing and I managed to do an elevation lying down as well......so I'm confused why I'm doing all these excercises  every hour of every day and my rom hasn't hit better but everything else has.... Lol.....

Walking I find when I walk without my crutch my leg goes into a spin I feel all my muscles contract like my quadricep keeps contracting, the patella tendon shakes a little but what I'm finding now is I just put my iPod in my ear to distract me away from the sensations and keep trying but I'm still on one crutch...... Hopefully by First week of July which is my next appointment with the surgeon I should be off by now but my physio doesn't want me to get off the last crutch till I reach at least 85 degrees

Another question Emma are you finding the shin and calf a little tight???  My hamstring still feel hard but the surgeon said that's normal as he ripped out hamstring grafts...............

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2014, 11:01:38 PM »
Hi lucha,

Keep trying to improve the rom, I've got mine to 120 but I'm still struggling to walk properly. I found stretching it with the towel was the best exercise for this. My physio gave me this exercise. I'd bought the resistance bands off the Internet but she told me not to use them as the towel is better as there's no resistance in that. It took me 4 weeks to get to 120. I'm sure you are just moving slightly slower due to what you've been through! It must be frustrating being so sporty. My knees were so sore that I did little to no exercise before my surgery so can only imagine how you are feeling!

Yeah my calf and shin are sore and tight. I've been given exercises to stretch my calf but I'm still getting some nerve pain down the front of my shin? I've been told to massage this and my scars every day. I can see an improvement but still not completely away yet.

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2014, 02:52:52 PM »
Day 30- walking without crutch - knee weak - physio physio - no painkillers
So I managed to walk from one part of the house to the other without a crutch for 10 minutes not a great rom at only 50 rom but I managed to walk unaided I forced my knee to move further which was a bit stupid it over flexed at the back of my knee and feel down onto the tiles luckily enough as wrestlers we get trained to land and fall without hurting certain parts so I managed to break the force of the fall but my leg did get part hit in the process ......but I still got up and walked again for another 10 minutes ....even though it hurt I carried on it has been a bit weak after that I went to my physio later that day as it happened a second time before I saw her and she said that can be normal as the knee was weak post op due to the dislocations I haven't taken any painkillers for the past two days..... I feel after having all the medications I have my body doesn't want anymore... The rom is frustrating me but I'm determined to get there!! .. ::)

Offline rob2278

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
    • My MFPL journey
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2014, 10:37:53 PM »
A buckling knee is very common post op.. be careful
Knee History:

01/1990 - R Knee - removal of bone chips
05/1990 - L Knee - dislocation
Fall 1991- L Knee - 2 dislocations
12/1991 - L Knee - LR/MR
1992-2013 L Knee subluxations
04/2008 - R knee reconstruction (torn patellar/quad tendons)
04/2013 - L knee - dislocation
01/31/2014 -MFPL reconstruction

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2014, 11:28:38 PM »
Pointers for DOCTORS WHO READ THIS!!
after a few experiences, i want to raise this as an opinion, as PLATO once said never discourage someone who makes progress no matter how slow.
As there is so little research on medical journals about MPFL surgery, which i have checked from doctors via the States and the UK how can they create an assumption or judgement, of what is correct or what stage is correct to be at if there is little evidence to prove it.
Empathy is a word which i rarely use, but n this situation i will with doctors ethics and so on.
What is the point in saying something negative, when you know so little about a surgery which is classed as a new modern surgery or a grey area, where research, cannot offer enough evidence to say if a person is doing well or not. I mean you have drilled throught our femur, and knee caps attached screws and ripped out our hamstrings, then bolted in the new ligaments sorry to be blunt :D lol.... How can a negative be positive on a patient, that has to learn to work every single muscle seperate from the quad to the hamstrings to the abductor, has to learn to walk properly, who gets frustrated because they cant do certain moves,nerve pains which stop you in moments unexpected, spending 8 hours a day in intense scrutiny workouts checking that your scars/ wounds are moving to make sure your working the correct muscle groups..  It is not an easy surgery, for me a doctor cannot say what is right or wrong is this surgery because everyone heals differently... people find their comforts, people through trial and error, will find what works for them and what doesnt,  this type of surgery is frustrating, because we all have to find our own way to get through it due to the lack of information and considering what we go through a bit more empathy would be desired for every patient

reference ROB hey i know sometimes its frustration more than anything lol but i have to know when it is too far lol

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2014, 07:11:53 PM »
Day 31 - the hill climb - buckling of knee - walking -excercises
So today I decided I would try to walk up a hill due to my frustration even on 52 degrees rom range of movement by the time I got up the hill took 50% longer compared to normal... But my leg I tried to flex and if i force it last 50 I feel it's not right, so after this I went home, and after two hours I walked again and my knee buckled at certain flexes which I expect to happen..... I keep doing the excercises lunges, hamstring tensions, abductor training, patella tendon training, knee cap dances, heel movements, leg swings, contractions etc etc.....my knee has buckled again at home but no pain so I know that's a good thing, considering I have a hamstring in my knee that use to lift well over 160kg I have a strong ligament in my knee.......I have found the swelling is small now compared to the first two weeks and the hamstrings is getting less swollen..... But my rom is frustrating me.......

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2014, 10:44:55 PM »
Day 32 -  weird sensations -58 degree rom yey! -  face down!
So my knee I'm get knitting sensations, nerve twitches, and jolts I'm just dealing it with music I just put it in my ears and walk to ease it off but sometimes I find when  I have done maybe a little too much that us when I know to stop.... Still I haven't taken any painkillers which is good :) ...... I moved Up to 7 degrees  in 12 days which as long as I'm seeing a improvement I'm happy considering I only had the MUA manipulation under anthesist like 10 days ago +'dvt .....

.so then I went out for a walk with my sister as I needed to get some waterproof plaster for hydrotherapy and my sister accidentally bumped my crutch and I went face down in front of the pharmacy counter........ Bridget jones cringe moment that was for sure I managed to get up I had no pain and my knee was still tight which was a good indication that my ligament hadn't been damaged but I have hired my wrestling pt who has given me some good tips on top of my normal physio........
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 07:55:14 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2014, 08:09:47 PM »
Day 33- frustration of rom - walking for fours hours no stop weird sensations-
So I have been getting frustrated  with my rom so now I have my hospital physio and now wrestling physio which my promotor has hired for me so today the wrestling physio checked out my rom he thinks there is something not right as he has trained  a lot of athletes over 60 people on mpfl surgery and he thinks the tension is not right but until I see the surgeon next he had given me more excercises on top of my physio at the hospital.......... So he told me walking is one of the best things to get the main muscles fired up he said my quads are fired ... My hamstrings are swollen which isn't helping the rom issue also........ So I decided to walk like he said so .... I walked for several hours took a rest on seats in between but by the end I felt my nerves twitching in my whole knee and leg.... The cramping was strong and my leg kept twitching ...soI sat in a Starbucks and massaged it then I walked an extra 10 minutes to get home, considering some of it was hill iwas impressed so I put my foot up did my excercises then fell asleep as my leg was saying enough so as the physio said sleep is the best thing as it helps to repair the body. I'm also managing to walk around the house without any crutches....... My rom is around 55 degrees today so +2 degrees..... Soooooooo frustrated right now I have two physios a personal trainer and I'm doing every excercise they request of me?.......I'm hoping when hydrotherapy starts next week it will be better :) because I don't want another MUA !!!

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2014, 09:49:43 PM »
Day 34 knee picture I still have plaster due yo the MUA ripping my sutures they have told me because of the position of the incision and sutures in my job it might take a month to 6 weeks to heal as it's on the flex point

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2014, 09:27:19 PM »
Day 35  walking up hills and down - lots of excercises - a big crack oops!
So I have been doing really well managed to get my Rom to 60 degrees so a 5 degree improvement, so I went for long walks for the past 5 days on straight level and I phill to get the joint moving as I'm finding even though it's tiring I feel it us fitting up my muscles in my legs..... So I started walking upstairs and doing the lunges at the bottom as the physio asked of me...... this evening and my knee made a huge crack sound after it the pain was shots all the way through my knee.... I tried to lift my knee as a standard standing leg lift which I can normally do when I tried the shots of pain was immense Sharp stabbing throbbing pains I couldn't lift it without using my hands..... So now I sit with ice on my leg ... I refuse to take painkillers as my body has been fed enough painkillers the past 4 weeks... I will see my physio on Tuesday so I will get her to check it for me.......

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2014, 05:41:40 PM »
Day 36- first day back at work - swelling knee - gym time!!! :))
So it was my first day back at my desk job, but I found I had to keep standing up cause my knee was stiff.... But also I kept getting sharp pains and my knee kept swelling for the flex ion so I had ice it to keep it low I found I had to take a painkiller for the swelling, so my boss gave me a stool under my desk so that I could elevate it when needed, I also had a football under my desk to help keep my knee moving to flex it .... I did notice by playing with the football it helped my knee............
So as I got frustrated I spoke with my pt at the gym and asked her for upper body workouts as I'm preparing for a match at the end of the year so then my upper body is ready by the time my knee gets better......but I'm noticing after the fall I had my knee is playing up so I have the physio tomorrow :))

Day 37? Increased rom by 8 degrees,- physio not happy - frustrated!!
So I managed to get my rom up by 8 degrees in 5 days yey so now on 64! Then I told the physio about the fall / give way and she felt my knee and she wasn't hsppy she said if that happens again i will send you back to the surgeon.... Wth I thought I have increased by 8 degrees and no well done but  more concerned about the give way..... I feel like so frustrated right now................ I have two weeks to get up to 90 degrees or the surgeon won't  be happy even though I have two physios, and a pt it's like what does this surgeon and physio want I'm trying my best and I'm doing my best...... And there still not happy!! Even the other physio and pt have told me well done because they have seen my progress but this surgeon and physio don' t and they don't consider I've had two surgeries already no cpm machine and no physio several  weeks post op and no brace pffffff!!!!!!

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 07:14:06 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2014, 07:27:49 PM »
End of week 5 what have I learnt
1) if you have a desk job play with a ball under your foot under your desk to stop your knee going stiff
2) listen to different physios for advice some things work for some people and some things don't and each physio can give you different ideas
3) Swiss balls are you best friend when trying to help your mpfl less tight
4) putting a pillow on top on top of your knee under your desk for any nerve jumps in your leg to protect them while doing excercises
5) this week there has been weird sensations only you can know if they are good as in the healing process or bad......
6) keep icing your knee to stop swelling under desk if you have a desk job.....
7) i must get PRIVATE HEALTHCARE!! After not being able to see over 4 and a half weeks post op and no CPM machine avaliable....
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 12:06:14 AM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2014, 02:36:37 PM »
Day 38-  gym every day- interesting news from physio- trying to understand bigger picture
So I have been gyming it every day working my fully upper body beefing myself out for the match in November and sitting on the bike trying to force my leg to move and working with a Swiss ball on lower legs ........ I do one hour 30 minutes in the gym morning and night not including other physio excercises.... I do under my desk at work and once I get home, knee is still stiff it's frustrating me a lot!! So I had my other physio from mexico call me by Skype he talked to a important orthapedic doctor out there who told him to suggest one of two complications I have due to my lack of  rom...... So I will ask the physio and the surgeon because every time I ask them they just seem to keep me in the dark try to change the subject or avoid it and I feel there not giving me the full picture even when I ask for it they go round the daffodil bush!! So with all these excercises and physios and pt I have I'm beginning to think I'm trying my hardest so it is not me !! Time for honest Answers I think......

Day 39- walking walking walking- strange pivot movement- great support from pts at gym - suture issues
So I kept walking today for hours as it's my day off and I'm noticing weird pivot movements like as if my muscles are fighting my knee over this ligament when it gets too tight then it hyperextended when it's walking so I put it down to the muscles  groups who knows just kept going then it happened again and I lost my balance so I thought rest it....... Then afterwards I went to the gym and I must say for pt lessons in the gym I pay over 700 pounds a month and they have all helped me to get back on track helping me with so e equipment as I can only go so low right now, they are being more positive than my own physio and surgeon which is nice  a breath if fresh air,......... Anything I want to do or can do they help me with it or talk to me to distract me to keep me going..... If only some in the medical profession had a more positive attitude it would go a long way!! 
So as you remember I had an MUA just over 2 weeks ago and the sutures they ripped are still bleeding....i wasn't given and plasters for them when I left the hospital so I went yo the pharmacy and they spent ages with me getting me the right plasters...... So even the pharmacist said it will talk along time for that to heal as it's on my flexion point... So they managed to get me done antibacterial silver lined plasters to stop risk of infection... And to help it help..... So it's getting there..... My knee I think I did abit to much on today my kneecap is painful today it was hard to sleep but didn't take any painkillers I just iced it...... Then kept it raised .......I'm walking around the house without any crutches and in my gardens...... But it's the rom that isn't helping my walking..........