Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary  (Read 95051 times)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
Re: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary
« Reply #345 on: April 05, 2015, 09:46:02 PM »
the world of kinesio tape - knee taping rather than bracing

so i have been through around 8 different types of brands of knee taping and i have finally found one that actually lasts, i find sometimes some tapes you get dont last that long while this one i can EVEN shower with and it stays in place !!
Kinesio tape i a new way of trying to stabilise the knee without using braces the best brand i have found is called ROCKTAPE it comes it funky colours too i rather quite like one which has hazard signs on it lol and it has made some people laugh at the gym and ask where did i get the support tape from you also get camo, british flag, tartan, fur print and plain colours too... it has helped slightly during training but everyone is different and its better wearing tape that a big brace so if your going to use taping use ROCKTAPE as the rest come off after an hour..........

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #346 on: April 05, 2015, 10:37:08 PM »
So my independent doctor in London asked me to write on this what can a doctor or Physiotherapist learn from an MPFL reconstruction?...........
as many of you know i have  rather sarcastic funny way of putting things i see everything in life not as a negative but as a way to improve or a way to challenge ourselves so therefore i ask doctors or physiotherapist who read this to understand and learn from it and take it as a positive ........ I must say my surgeon has generally been great and his secretary has been amazing in answering my questions or getting me mris when i needed them even at a last minute point =)

MPFL reconstruction- Information for the patient
1) There needs to be rather more defined information for the patient regarding MPFL and the recovery process, for me to be given a sheet with four exercises, and be told thats your crutches, it's a bit like saying bye bye get on with it, luckily being an athlete i train so hard i got on with it.

2) MPFL reconstruction complications need to be defined CLEARLY i would stress if athletes are being dealt with or with peoples job who need flex ion make them aware from the start the chance of LOSS OF FLEX ION, as flex ion is crucial in major sports especially wrestling.  i cant just flip from the corner i go wohooo or my knee will throw me backwards then the fans would laugh at me lol now due to the flex ion loss lol

MPFL RECONSTRUCTION - recovery
1) Physiotherapy i feel MUST say is rather VITAL role within the first 10 days of this surgery, after having my leg swell to triple the size stiffness dvt risk post three to four weeks post surgery as no physiotherapist available, movement is vital and key to speedy recovery..........

2)Doctors...reassuring a patient with an answer than a silence or a rather pronounced common phrase or trying to change a subject to get out of it lol just generally annoys athletes as it does not help to lower an athletes frustration due to lack of sport, or timing to return to sport lol ..

3) There needs to less fear in how doctors treat a patient with MPFL because they are unaware of what the surgery is, for me i have become rather accustomed to now if i have a problem go to one of my two physios as they know what MPFL is rather than go to a doctor who looks blankly at you as they don't know what MPFL is and try to get you out of the door with painkillers (which i don't want lol), surely if a doctor does not know what something is there have the resources to ask and to check?

4) as MPFL reconstruction still is in its early stages of publications of research i feel as an athlete i will try anything to get myself back into sport because for me when a doctor advises against something i ask them "Where does it say in any journal publication i cant do something?" if they have it in black and white then i won't but for me i think in order to learn more about MPFL reconstruction there needs to be people to try things to say ok that works and that didn't to help future patients....

5) There are more techniques with sliding discs trx machines, and other items which could play a pivotal part in the speed of process of recovery within MPFL recovery and physiotherapy...... i only came across them after asking for opinions from others and thinking outside the box and working with personal training in gym LEVEL 4 and above...........

6) be happy with the physiotherapist you have, and make sure they know what MPFL reconstruction is and have the experience to deal with it

7) Sometimes i feel that doctors can treat everyone the same as a standard patient but i do believe sometimes they forget how everyone is unique and how great the body can achieve goals i was lifting men above my head post four months when they said to me it would be 6-7 months.........

WAS THE RECONSTRUCTION EFFECTIVE FOR ME
well i must say for normal patients i agree this surgery can give many people their lives back, and give them a sense of security and confidence to be able to go out and not think their knee will dislocate.....

For me it was to begin with great and i was feeling the benefits of the surgery then after the accidents and returning to the sport something hasnt worked as i have lost flex ion i have had to changed a lot of things, teh locking of my knee i dunno why it does it i shake it off stretch out the leg and it seems to get it moving, and had a few sub laxtions and dislocations which maybe due to the things mentioned earlier or the hypermobility of the joint so my case is rather unique and as i have said before everyone is different and everyones recovery is different

i would say living your life day to day without jumping out of 20ft cages into fans and chairs lol the surgery will be fine for people who arent professional athletes, but i think for us athletes there needs to be a rather more careful consideration for what you can and can't do or what you have to adapt to in order to be able to perform well......

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #347 on: April 06, 2015, 02:35:36 AM »
part two of what the independent doctor asked me to write 1-12 weeks stage point
so im going to write a quick summary of what happened to me in the first 14 weeks

weeks 1-2
Painkiller for the first two weeks strong medication
leg began to swell, exercises ,
sleep issues, jumping leg, nerve pain
showering mobility slow - rom 30 degrees
dragged out of bed due to inability to control pain and swelling, leg hot

weeks 2-4
leg triple the size suspected DVT, celexane moved from 40mg to 180mg per day
stiffness of leg, even though exercises complete, blistering of leg foot treble the size leg hot.....
ROM 60- 70 degress by end of week 4
MUA decided upon due to stiffness and swelling of leg....
sleeping issues, throbbing burning sensation due to size of leg feeling of skin going to rip open
1-2 painkillers per day

weeks 4-6
MUA week 4 seemed to help, sensation returning in leg lowering of celexane after scan
fire sensation, blistering begins to settle
movement ROM 80 degrees by end of week 6
sleeping returning to normal

6-8
 finally turn peddles on a bike, noticed during these week recovery became rapid
ROM 85 degrees, fluctuating due to pain, swimming more to relieve symptoms
returned to the gym to workout
leg returns to near enough normal size still swelling of knee
starting to walk without crutches slight limp

8-10
ROM starting to hit 90 degress
start to begin to teach my leg how to jog-
leg feeling tight
sleep is normal- a few throbbing feelings but no pain
skipping
lifting weights on legs to strengthen quad vmo hamstrings etc

10-12
finally have the ability to run
need still tight but moving
ability to walk normally
lifting more weights on legs
signed off from physio
wrestled at post 16 weeks 8 weeks earlier than journals such as BMJ ASJ AMJ suggest

complications
swelling of shin calf and lower extremity of leg including foot, hot swollen triple the size
suspected DVT, stiffness,  currently several dislocation and some sub laxtions which may be due to hypermobility but currently having locking issues of knee and grinding sensations when walking or on cross trainer

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #348 on: April 06, 2015, 08:36:47 PM »
Knee swollen again so tried to tape it up ---   :'(

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #349 on: April 07, 2015, 07:13:14 AM »
So today feeling rather frustrated I suppose as anyone knows who has had knee surgery or mpfl surgery understand at certain points you get frustrated this is the point lol so my knee gave out again  :'(
How do I feel ........ Sheer utter frustrated I don't generally get angry..........but with my knee locking up and
It giving way again and grinding and crunching and pain when I walk  I feel there is sometimes where I feel
My knee does what it wants when it wants  :-\ which shouldn't be the case, I appreciate my knee won't be 100% but I don't expect to be wearing a cryocuff each night to reduce the swelling or put my leg up a wall just so I can sleep  there is a certain quality Of life you expect even with complications.......
So how do I feel frustrated as all I want is just a certain quality of stability with complications so currently sitting down with a swollen up knee and hope the physio can fix it well I have thrown my toys out of the pram lol

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #350 on: April 08, 2015, 07:19:08 AM »
Swollen knee

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #351 on: April 09, 2015, 12:17:26 AM »
more questions than ever now but no information to answer those questions lol :o ;D :P
So i went and saw my independent doctor on Tuesday along with my Mexican Physiotherapist i reminded them of what my surgeon there is three plans but until he gets in and has a look nothing is decided so they are:
1) clean out and smooth the cartilage
2) clean out smooth the cartilage and tighten up the lateral ligament
3) the same as above but with also tightening of the muscle above the patella tendon....

My independent doctor went rather quiet and ask me was it due to an imbalance or loose objects within the knee, i said the surgeon did mention that but he wants to check my knee when im knocked out and have a look inside first....... The independent doctor agreed with my surgeon thank goodness for once lol!

then he said if you have plan 3 you know you will have to quit wrestling by this point i was like WTH?!
i then said where does it say in literature and journals i wont? he went quiet and said its from experience i replied how many wrestlers have you had have this surgery give me a number please? he said 0 , i replied then dont say its from experience if in isnt from the particular field of sport because every sport is different which how joints react he seemed to go quiet  :P......

So he checked my knee as the physio wanted him to check my knee as it felt and looked lax said it looked very lax when i was walking on it, he asked is my ACL and LCL ok? but then he mentioned when i have the surgery the surgeon will more check everything generally speaking....... i thought in my head dont mention any more ligaments especially the ACL lol all i want is a stable knee which isnt lax or dislocating.....

because generally speaking in wrestling most wrestlers i know who have screwed up their ACL generally dont come back due to forces, weight on the knee, kinetics, pivoting etc.......... :P

Then he checked my knee and said there was a lot of swelling and rather than put me in a brace he wanted me to rest on a crutch and wear knee tape, i said to him i felt that being on a crutch would do more harm than good and would not benefit me in my preparation for surgery he replied my mpfl knee was 4.5 inches bigger in swelling to my normal knee and it must be rested i replied im cryocuffing it every night and i have to do all my physio exercises and the gym to maintain my weight........

I replied i have felt these things for ages after the surgery walking with grinding on my bones and popping noises with pain, knee locking up, pain in my joint in bed, nerve pain now and again, knee swelling, knee dislocation, and i still plod along lol i said i dont expect a 100% knee but i though this surgery would give me stability! now i sit here in your consult thinking where is my wrestling career going because after 10 years of dislocations i took the risk to try this surgery and i cant wrestle because its still unstable..............i remember at this point just putting my ray bans on as i didnt want him to see me react........ he smiled and said

your hyper-mobile remember that so the other ligaments needs to be checked too which im sure your surgeon will check, for me i think there are a few things going on with your knee and i think your surgeon is correct in his plans, you tttg was rather high 20>>mm but lets hope by stabilising the imbalance or the cartilage it will make you better to perform again and the knee function better............ then he said but your not wrestling until after this surgery im not signing you back on at all until i see full stability and your knee not over flexing forwards and backwards............... great i thought just great lol
He said but remember how much you have proven to us as doctors, that sometimes the impossible is possible...... dont be frustrated it will get fixed...........

I said to my promotor in spanish that i was leaving his consult as i felt frustrated i said goodbye to the doctor started to walk out and he said we havent finished yet, i said " Yes we have for the moment, because there is nothing you can help me with untill i have the surgery." i shook his hand and left....

so i walked out then my promotor said to me if your not back into the ring in 10 months you have to think about retiring then your insurance will be asking questions! i thought oh great what an end to the day lol............. ::) i said to my promotor well i suppose the benefit is not travelling if im forced to retire lol :P ;D at least i still have rather a little humour lol

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 12:10:28 AM by lucha86 »

Offline sammi19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
    • Chat with slee1701
« Reply #352 on: April 09, 2015, 03:47:20 PM »
  Hey Lucha, I've read almost all of your diary. It's great, thanks for writing it! I just wanted to add a couple quick things. A lot of non athletes, like me are extremely athletic and just as disappointed when we can't return to our activities after surgery. I worked out nearly 6-8 hours every week before surgery and ran 20 miles on the weekend and it sucks to not be able to do the things I once loved, at least not yet. I understand though, that losing a hobby is less damaging than not being able to do well in your career, wrestling.

Right now I'm four weeks post op from an mpfl and trochleoplasty and I do 4 hours of Pt a week. I just got cleared for the stationary bike so I'll be adding an hour of that into my routine every day. I think it's more about the mindset than whether or not your an athlete. Some people are just super determined and push themselves and some people take it slower. I think even if you weren't a wrestler you'd be pushing yourself just as hard lol. It's just our personalities. I hope you start feeling 100 percent soon. I know you've had some frustrating moments recently. Keep your chin up and keep pushing yourself as hard as ever. It'll get better :)

All the best
Sam
the bees knees

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #353 on: April 09, 2015, 07:36:39 PM »
Hey sammy it's great to hear your on the bike again and that your recovery is going well  ::) I agree with you this is why I have said in several posts everyone's recovery is unique and how many people undergoing mpfl surgery reconstruction have frustration in losing their ability to do things and independence for a period of time"................
Every has their own mindset I do agree dependent on experience .......to be honest the wrestling trained me in such a mindset to keep going push past the pain barriers mentally and to keep going...........my teacher said never fear only try or you will just regret not trying......I was very lazy before wrestling lol  :P but I must explain the wrestling further to understand pressures and cultures  :D

It took me a good four years to learn wrestling and build my mindset and body to a point  where when men challenged me in Latin America and said women were lady didn't deserve to be in the ring They were not as good as men I had to keep proving them wrong started on Olympic wrestling then freestyle wrestling then other types then I kept proving them wrong ........by jumping off 20ft cages lifting two men one on each shoulder to prove we are all equal and anything is possible ... :P

For me absolute key to maintain wrestling is to be in the gym twice a day to work everything out I use to spend in one week 24-28 hours in a gym  now that has gone down to half that time  losing a sponsorship worth 12000 british pounds a year and having one sponsor left  because my knee went  in a match and my contractor  getting worried and being down around another 20,000 pound in one year....then as I need more surgery times that by two ... The money does not bother me as I have savings and insurance. im a good girl lol ..but it's shows when your an athlete and you get injured things can change quite dramatically to be honest i feel sorry for those who havent saved lol ..then you have the pressures of returning to sport for contract reasons fans sponsors promotors companies etc .... after working 10 years to build up the respect you earn seems to be disappearing .......

You then do get frustrated because you can't perform because your knee locks in front of 2000 people and you can't land well land the pain of the grinding of my kneecap on my femur and you could risk hurting others which are big factors but you take that risk when you go back to sports lol ..... Then when my knee is lax and I have to maintain it in that part of the world showing pain or a weakness in the ring people can take advantage of that in bad ways......... Wrestlers can try to dislocate it etc so your always on your guard.....
i have also worked with children with cancer through this and this was what i loved doing as you helped them to achieved their wishes but it teaches you a lot about life.....

I agree here that I agreed to the surgery that was my choice because my fear was I would cause more damage to my knee than if I didn't have the surgery due to the amount of dislocations  i took the risk because there was no other option except to suffer debilitating dislocations which i didnt want............

but like you said sammy  and like i have said before everyone is different in how they deal with mpfl reconstructions and I respect that........ I chose the surgery but with all surgery carries risks nothing is 100% :)

The point is also mpfl is in it's early years of surgery so there is still lots to be learned some things will work for some people and some won't for others........but I'm considering retiring because I have to be honest with myself I think I only have probably about another 2-3years of wrestling in me and I have to consider the long term rather than short term.......

I know my surgeon will make the right decision i have faith in him and if it means more work on my knee that stops me from wrestling  then I will retire because I want to be able to enjoy life rather than end up with a knee replacement lol

« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:39:01 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #354 on: April 10, 2015, 07:07:23 AM »
So my physio in the uk has been me from the gym as my knee is sublaxing and dislocating  too much and the swelling  is massive as she told me so time to rest for 10 days  and have some Ben and jerrys  ice cream  on a hot day like this lol

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #355 on: April 12, 2015, 12:30:44 AM »
So today i was out walking and my knee went again my knee bulked overflexed forward them bulked right backwards overflexed at the back of my knee and the knee cap moved laterally and i fell down and heard a big crunch and crack while out with my niece who is only 5, luckily i had my ray bans on so she didn't see me cry the pain wasn't that great she said look abit scared auntie is you knee poorly again? She looked a little scared... i thought by this point my knee is not right and my niece should not have to see that happen in the middle of a shopping mall .......

i tried to get up rather quickly my neice tried to helped me up but i explained to her im bigger than her lol i took her to the nearest coffee shop and got her a hot chocolate and a treat so i could sit to recover my knee.... i took her home on the bus and said not to mention it to my sister or i know she would allow me out with her again, but as you can guess being 5 she blurted it out lol and my sister being a pharmacist said " you and i know something isnt right with that knee."

i dont need people to keep telling me there is something wrong with it  all i want is it to be stable i dont expect a 100% perfect knee.. as my Uk physio doesnt work over weekends i spoke with my mexican wrestling physio who said one of two options, go on a crutch to give the leg less weight bearing or brace it and keep walking with the brace until the surgery.........i thought brace it would be better at least the knee is locked in so it cant overflex or over extend backwards, i cant risk further injury of the joint

so right now i feel that im back to square one, i suppose i feel like my knee is more in control of my leg than i am in control of it, but the positive is that hopefully this surgery i have will resolve the issue, now sitting in a cryocuff AGAIN! trying to be positive right now....... please but me in a ring so i can vent my frustrations oh i cant as im banned lol still got humour lol in a rather sarcastic way lol

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #356 on: April 13, 2015, 07:11:30 AM »
an old wrestling teacher once said to me obstacles in life are there to make us stronger and wiser they are there to challenge us push us down and force us to get back up and keep going untill we tackle that object, funny enough he is 65 now some wrestlers
got him to rang me on my skype the other day , he said why are you so sad your blue eyes are sad eyes in spanish?

I explained with my  MPFL surgery that i feel i keep running into the obstacle and no experience or good answers from around me can tell me how to tackle it as its such a new surgery i feel so frustrated i said maybe i should just stop wrestling, my knee is beyond the point of repair, i barley sleep with it now im relying on about 4 hours sleep a night i cant run or walk on it without pain i cant even wrestle which i love i broke down in tears.....

He then stopped me and said in spanish i never taught you to give up the  wrestling never taught you to give up, you are a warrior, you were trained to act and to adapt, do not let one unknown thing try to destroy you, you proved men of 20 years experience in wrestling wrong by going up against them, and defeating them and lifitng them above your head which women havent been able to do in latin america.. you made history here in latin america you have proven to the medical profession you can return to sport in 4 months not 6 months you have done so much, don't let a obstacle defeat you, people will have frustrations at one point let it out, and then reach for the goal again we are all human, you are a women with no fear, keep trying.....

then he turned around his computer 10 big famous wrestlers i know had a shot in each of their hand and said " with luck, and god willing, things will get better in spanish, and they drunk it  at this point i burst into tears again............ I really didn't expect to see them but they just finished an event that's why they were all together and they thought they wanted to show me support which was nice of them.....

then a wrestler i know on there said to me " you were in agony before this surgery, you know it was your last chance to have stability, the unknown is a risk but its also a learning curve for you and doctors, we all have scars as athletes but wear them with pride to show what you have survived..........its not easy being an athlete injured you have to act stronger in front of the press and in front of the fans
sometimes doctors cant understand  us wrestlers, we are so goal orientated, determined driven because that is who we are in the ring we are passionate about our sport, the love of the game when you take that away from them its like ripping them in two....its like taking a man away from his dog after 15 years together.....

I suppose my friend was right, but i replied.  im trying my best but i feel my knee just wants to work against me, and i feel like everything is grinding inside and the pain especially walking sometimes is bad. and then it just randomly dislocates.....i keep going but i cant help my knee from the inside as what is done is do i cant change the mechanics of it   ........i just want a sense of normality not 100% perfect but just stability .. i want to wrestle i burst into tears again..... i heard all the wrestlers  saying they had never seen me cry, by this point i didnt care i had so much frustration and pain to vent i think i just needed to cry then i heard the wrestlers stop talking trying to boost my spirits but to be honest i felt better after i vented how i felt .... my teacher said three of my friends on skype were stopping in london in the next couple of days with the mexican physio before moving to japan and to meet them for a couple of hours and that my teacher would have a present for me.......

my knee is still swollen today and very lax but i hope it will calm down and the positive thing is its in the process of being sorted, sometime one thing is with MPFL reconstructions its the friends and family and network of medical staff that keep you positive or keep you going because they are the ones that help you get through the storm :))  but I think I needed to vent my frustrations as we all know with mpfl surgery it can be a hard storm :)) feeling a lot better now but my knee is still dodgey as hell lol

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #357 on: April 15, 2015, 12:03:12 AM »
so today i had to have a medical test for the wrestling .... to no rather suprise..... i failed it lol  ::)
so they tried my knee under certain stresses on then my quadricep bulked over my knee then my knee hyper extended backwards into the back to the knee, i controlled my quads then my kneecap went again and fell on my bum to the floor, by this point i laughed because i didn't know what to think lol

So i have now been signed off wrestling for another 6 months...............well i suppose i can relax lol
I think i have come to just accept the fact that currently my knee is screwed lol and i might as well do what i want on it because, i want to try to keep fit, if that means wearing a brace up till the surgery date then i will but working with the knee rather than against it ...........because currently im quite literally in limbo lol and im trying to make sure my leg is strong as possible before the next surgery........... :)

the person who did my medical test said to me " Do you have hope this will get fixed as your knee is showing distress." I replied without hope and faith in life no one can ever be positive in life. MPFL is very new surgery and doctors and patients alike are learning things which work and things that dont...
sometimes we all must take a risk to have a better quality of life when it comes to our health, for some people it works for others its doesnt that is what happens.......... ??? ;)

Sometimes i feel that in MPFL reconstruction everyone understand who has had this there are just some things you cant describe or explain or you try something because nobody has said it is bad to do to see if it will make you more comfortable etc....... everyone is learning...... 8) 8)

so tomorrow i see the latin american physio who will sort out my knee, with some electrical therapy massage to stop pain after the spasms of the sublaxtions/dislocations and relax the muscles around the patella.... so im using the cryocuff tonight to settle the leg and hopefully in the next couple of days it will be back to the gym...... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #358 on: April 16, 2015, 07:09:14 AM »
So I went to the gym today and my knee went again lol after the physio told me to try a little on it so the physio had said only light workout brace wearing exercises until the surgron does the surgery ........
My promotor said to me wasn't this surgery suppose to stop my instability I replied yes but I suppose everyone has different problems e.g my hypermobility probably does not help but in general it is suppose to stop or alleviate the dislocations......
My promotor has a match lined up for me in January and he said he needs me back then I said yes that's if I can fight I don't even know when the surgery will be. Lol he didn't look amused but to be honest don't care right now main priority is to get the knee fixed long term :)

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 400
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #359 on: April 16, 2015, 07:26:07 AM »
Why doesn't the promoter cover the cost of the surgery to be done privately if time is important? I'm sure you'd rather get it done sooner too
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

support