Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary  (Read 95053 times)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
Re: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary
« Reply #285 on: January 02, 2015, 10:52:07 PM »
Day 233- Independent doctor- Banned from wrestling - shocked doctor- feeling like a ping pong- knee stiff

So i went to see the doctor to see if i could return to wrestle i took another wrestler with me for support who was in the Uk as a stop over. So we went to London, and i saw the doctor at his private office. He said my promoter had been in contact with to address the concerns. So he looked at my knee,
again same as my surgeon he said "hmmm....."
ITS ONE OF THOSE RATHER IRRITATING THINGS DOCTORS DO, BECAUSE YOU START THINKING OR TRYING TO THINK WHAT THEY ARE THINKING LOL.

So he did a few moves asked me to do a few moves,  then in one move my knee just went i don't know what happened if felt more like a sub laxation.....
He then said " Oh.. wow... your now suspended from wrestling until you see your surgeon until further notice."
I was pretty much rather flabbergasted i did not know what to say or do, i looked at my fellow wrestler for advice who even seemed shocked himself....

I then asked him for a reason rather than walk away from me and say i'm suspended.  He said
"You have crepitus in the knee, your knee has excessive effusion,  medial retinaculum pain, and your knee has just sublaxed and has just overloaded and your unable to sleep due to pain considering your knee is resting, i cannot allow you to wrestle until these issues are checked by your surgeon your ligament may be too tight or your over training.....  Then he sat behind his desk

The wrestler said to me in Spanish "Do what the doctors says there is always hope its only 3 weeks have faith."

I then asked him can i go to the gym he said he would allow me but no running and wearing a knee brace during the time at the gym, all must be as low impact as possible. Wrestlers he said are stubborn, push themselves too far because that is how they are taught to be the best and to not show pain,......
By this point i got pretty much frustrated with him.. so i decided to prove a point. Whenever i get angry i get really sarcastic but its seen as sarcasm rather than anger and once i go i can't stop talking lol

"That's its it in your chair sign me off, YEY!!!, yea as if you have any understanding of MPFL surgery."
The doctor went to me "What are you trying to prove to me?"
Then the wrestler who has known me for years saw me go really quiet and he said to the doctor wrong move she is about to blow.... and i did lol."

I replied "What am i trying to prove to you? Oh how the impossible can be possible, how doctors underestimate their patients and can' think outside the box.
How MPFL surgery does not have enough research for you to sit there and say what is right and what is wrong. Only by me thinking outside the box have i managed to get to where i am, back to sports. Because
lets be honest i am a frickin Guniea Pig for all your doctors, and you just what to see how long it takes me to screw it up, or see how far it can be pushed. Because you don't have the answers.

No one helped me except the personal trainers give me the new ideas for rehabilitation, to gain my life back,to gain my blistered swollen leg back i worked through pain to get to where i am... YOU HAVE NO IDEA, right now i'm feeling i go 5 steps forward ten steps back!
You say we are trained not to show pain yes, but you do know what lies under a wrestlers mask because you cant see behind it but we are trained to fight pain , to ignore it mentally and move forward, its about adapting to survive that is why we do it. MPFL SURGERY for a normal patient is great fine, no problem but for a wrestler you have to change pivots, kinetics, movements, you can't fall flat in case your patella fractures, or you destroy the ligament. Mpfl surgery for the patient is a roller coaster. because there is NO INFORMATION FEW ANSWERS JUST TRIAL AND ERROR.............. By this point i wanted to burst even
the wrestler with me said to me " Are you ok?"
The doctor looked at me in shock...he then said "Have you said this to your surgeon?" I said
"What's the point, if no one has ever dealt with a wrestler and MPFL. it's a grey area"
he then said to me "You must tell him this, and the information i have given you today."
then i replied "All i want to do is wrestle that is it....."
he said "you will give it time, until you see your surgeon, you have proven so much so far, but sometimes there are things as doctors, we need to check and sometimes there are times where your knee, or body will say it needs to rest, this is the time."

So now i feel like a ping pong ball, going from the independent doctor back to the surgeon oh joy lol. Sometimes i suppose humour gives me the faith and determination to keep trying there are always setbacks its sometimes how when the storms do come learning to dance and smile in the storm and make the most of the bad situation than just wait for it to pass.....

I decided to switch off my iphone as i was getting messages from other wrestlers who were making a joke out of the doctor, as the wrestler who was with me said he has never seen a doctor go white, quiet or drop a pen so quickly lol then i wanted to avoid my promoter rather than talk to him.......
The positive is i can go to the gym even if that means doing more upper body to release my frustration.
My knee is still stiff but it is best to follows doctors orders..... Im still having problems sleeping not much i can do just trying to sleep even if my leg is up against a wall lol....
Every cloud has a silver lining then say lets hope, we i see my surgeon he will sign me back in =)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #286 on: January 03, 2015, 10:54:33 PM »
Day 234- feelings and thoughts on MPFL reconstruction.
So today i have been feeling alot of opinions build up on MPFL  reconstruction and i thought i would share them.. I had a quote put to me today y the independent doctor who sent me the email confirming his opinions tightness, effusions, medial pain, friction pain within join, and creptius etc then he followed it with a quote for me :

"An Individual who tries and uses hope and Determination to succeed and proves the impossible will always earn respect from those who watch."

I think after my riot act with him he felt bad lol I did feel bad the way i did my riot act, but i think by him giving me this quote he gave me hope, that people are taking notice, that i'm proving things to the medical world, and that they are listening in their own way.

I think the some doctors underestimate MPFL, sometimes you get so frustrated, because some things you cannot do, and you constantly fight to try to do them and in the process become even more frustrated.
In the First 8 weeks anyone who has had MPFL surgery can understand this.
Bending trying to walk up stairs, you start from scratch and have to figure out by yourself how you are going to get up 60 stairs, how your going to climb out of that bath after shooting nerve pains. When you try to sleep, but your leg refuses to let you sleep, you become mentally tired of the pain, and you again build up with frustration. Because all you want is one single thing INDEPENDENCE........

Then you get to the 8 week point and thinks got quickly and a lot smoother, then when you go to the gym there is certain things you notice you can't do but as an athlete frustrates you even though you say to yourself give it time, your body is so use to sport and adapting itself that, like burpees or lunges or dead lifts, you notice the flexion and other things, so then it makes you even more frustrated and determined to
PROVE THE MEDICAL WORLD WRONG....... I remember a "MR" said to me you will not be able to do a burpee again. so i got on the floor and did 10 in front of him, sat down he just looked at me in shocked.
I said as you were saying? he said how did you do that? i replied mind over matter that is how......
I think that doctor learned not to judge so quickly lol

So this is already proving a point, that no matter what a doctors says ANYTHING you can ACHIEVE , don't give up, and just keep trying, because any obstacle you have can only make you stronger. Only you can achieve anything you want to achieve.

MPFL yes it is a rather frustrating time, but you will reap its rewards at the end my case is so individual thats as a wrestler with an MPFL reconstruction it is new territory, most have had ACL,PCL,MCL repair but never met one who has had MPFL, so even for the doctors that have been treating me, i think to be honest
for them is a learning curve,because they have never dealt with a wrestler with an mpfl reconstruction, as much as it is for me, because they are so many things that can effect the
MPFL reconstruction within wrestling and training, that sometimes i suppose it's hard for them to know
the best way to treat me, generally my independent doctors sees if i have injured my knee he puts me in for an Mri to check everything is ok internally, which i rather think is better way for them as its black and white.
To be honest with myself i don't see myself going a lot longer in the wrestling one year tops, as i feel my knee is finding it hard but also sometimes i think its time to think of the future if my knee does not improve in the next 6 months i my have to consider these options.
I sit here writing this with a cryo-cuff on my knee as its swollen up but i suppose you have to expect in any surgery you sign for you will get some sort of complication from it nothing is perfect in life all you can do is make the most of it and keep going, keep moving, and keep achieving everything you want to achieve because nothing should hold you back =)

Im now sending this doctor a thank you card, because sometimes its the small things that count, =)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 10:56:06 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #287 on: January 04, 2015, 10:31:05 AM »
Day 235 - knee stiff in cold weather - lack of sleep - but went to the gym did upper only
So today I needed a crutch to help me get me out of bed as my leg was stiff and I had to wear trainers for my knee to feel comfortable it took around 2 hours before my knee settled, sleeping again the throbbing burning friction pain just tried different positions and a hot water bottle untill I managed to fall asleep..........
It is frustrating but I just get on with it....... But a positive thing is I went to the gym and I worked on upper body which is great as its a way to workout without any impact on my leg :))
Fingers crossed having hope things will get better :)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #288 on: January 04, 2015, 09:21:43 PM »
Day 236- mofl reconstruction photo still swollen

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #289 on: January 05, 2015, 08:25:46 PM »
day 237- No sleep cried to sleep sounds sooo bad! -burning rope sensation-
So last night was my worst night ever- i had tried so many positions to sleep but my knee was terrible i took narproxen and cocodomol with it and it did nothing i felt like my knee was burning and wanted to rip open and i couldnt find a comfortable position if i tried to sleep on my lateral side of the MPFL knee it throbs and feel like rope burn in my knee by about 4 hours point i just cried because my body just wanted to sleep but my knee would not allow it to.......
, even when i walk i feel sometimes a friction/ rope burn sensation in my knee and i just try to block it out i even sometimes go up stairs and feel a friction going up or a rubbing feeling...........
im just confused.com maybe time to pump my upperbody at the gym lol
In a way i don;t know what to say to my surgeon in two weeks time because this is as new for him as it is for my independent doctor because there is no research on Mpfl and wrestlers, could the wrestling be damaging my MPFL who knows..... like i have said before it is a grey area............but i hope this will give patients answers who are in very high contact sports......
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 08:52:43 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #290 on: January 06, 2015, 06:53:51 PM »
Day 238- What have i achieved so far
I have achieved so far

Flips/ handstands ( post 21weeks)
stepper machine 20 minutes (post 21 week)
running 8km  (post 20 weeks)
skipping 20 minutes (post 20 weeks)
running at 15.5 on running machine (post 20 weeks)
actual match ( post 20 weeks) went ok ish
lifting 120kg on shoulders (post 19-20 weeks)
weight lifting on legs increased by 12kg ( post 20 weeks)
bike 1 hour ( post 19 weeks)
survived two hour personal training session non stop (post 18 weeks)
lifting 100kg on shoulders ( post 17 weeks)
ran 6k ( 16.5 weeks)
wrestling in the ring practising ( 16 weeks)
running at 13.5 on the running machine (15 weeks)
running 5 miles outside ( 15 weeks)
squatting/lunges with 30kg in each hand ( post 15 weeks)
-lifting 150kg leg pres ( 14 weeks)
-running outside 4 miles (14/13  weeks)
- Lifting 140kg on leg press (12 weeks)
-squatting with men on shoulder ( 12 weeks)
- running 75 days post surgery( 10 weeks)
- lifting 120kg on my legs post surgery ( 8 weeks-9weeks)
- running up stairs (post 8 weeks)
- skipping jumping, ( post 8 weeks)
- squats lunges, lunges with dumbells 20kg) post (7 weeks)
-free weight lifting, lifting weight onto my shoulders with squats post

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #291 on: January 06, 2015, 08:40:53 PM »
day 239- Brace in bed - finally some sleep, feelings right now

SO I SPOKE WITH MY WRESTLING PHYSIO. who said for me to buy this brace and try it in bed when i was sleeping to see, if that relieved the pressure and pain in the joint, i thought to myself i havent got a lot of options left lol So i tried it and i slept all the way through the night expect for once when it woke me up but, with the brace on the pain is more controllable which is good =) so i am going to try this fo the next couple of nights, but then my physio informed me it was a BAD SIGN IF IT WAS HELPING ME TO SLEEP!

the question i asked to him "WHAT DO WE KNOW IS RIGHT OR WRONG IN MPFL REHABILITATION?"
Because let's be honest after going through so many trials and errors of getting myself back on my feet i am beginning to think sometimes it is best to think outside of the medical understanding box because that is how i got myself better so quick.... Every case is unique and individual so things can be learnt from every MPFL case.

Im still feeling rather frustrated as the physio worked with m on the stepper today and i could feel complete friction and rubbing by the MPFL like a rope burn and i had to stop at 5 minutes, my knee just could not deal with it then i has shooting pains in my lower shin...  i got frustrated but then i suppose my physio was right he said you see your surgeon in just over two weeks, ask why, you don't have to assume remember you are the patient and don't leave the office until your happy with the answers your given.... or i will write a letter for you to give to your surgeon to back you up.......

Even sitting down i cannot sit down longer than two hours before my knee is screaming, just to think just over two weeks ago i was wrestling now im back to basics, sometimes i think mother nature or your body says when to stop when it needs to recover........

MPFL has changed my life is so many good ways but has also given me a few rather small issues which are rather hard to explain to someone who has never had a mpfl reconstruction lol.

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #292 on: January 07, 2015, 07:52:08 PM »
day 240- still sleep issues - knee swollen up again - going for different rehabilitations
So even though i am wearing the brace im still waking up during the night but not as many times as without it, it has swollen up again my knee. So i am trying to work with it rather than against it....
I have decided to do some different types of rehabilitation to see if it will help my knee more......
My wrestling physiotherapist, thinks my ligament is too tight...... well lets be honest her in a sarcastic way before my surgery i could easily lift two men one on each shoulder around in total 160kg so my hamstring would have been at that time very strong.... so by the time my surgeon ripped that out of my hamstring and out it in my knee and suppose it would be in a logical way very strong and tight after lifting so many men lol
sorry feeling in a sarcastic funny tone again lol
So i have been swimming a lot and doing other techniques i first did with my personal trainers and it does seem to be helping it is swollen but i suppose i just got to deal with it i dont want to take any painkillers if i can because i want to be able to feel what is going on and be aware of it...............
Im still having a few problems getting out of bed still so i have a crutch by my bed just to help me up if i need one, but i hope this will rather surpass in time due to the weather HOPEFULLY lol

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #293 on: January 08, 2015, 10:01:51 PM »
day 241 - still wearing a brace  to sleep - stiff knee getting out of bed- still working out in the gym-

So i have kept wearing the brace as its relieving the pain issue and i would rather wear a brace than take any painkillers to sleep with because you grow fed up of taking them and there not good to keep taking from an athletes perspective as we need to be aware of our body and warning signs or when something does not feel right-..... the brace is helping me to have a better night sleep but is till wake up but not as many times without it...........
I still have a stiff knee getting out of bed and get out of bed walking like herr flick from the bbc series allo allo but hey ho lets be positive and hope the storm will pass =)
Im still working out in the gym and im doing alot more with my leg it is making it swollen but the point is MPFL is such a grey area with rehabilitation that everyone has their own way of dealing with the rehabilitation through MPFL RECONSTRUCTION SOME THINGS WORK FOR SOME PEOPLE and some do not.... so it is rather for me a case of trail and error..........

In a way i feel i have more questions for my surgeon now because i feel frustrated because i don't know the answer and i can't fine the answers anywhere how to get my leg to stop swelling or to be able to sleep normally without feeling my leg wanting to rip open, why my knee stops when im wrestling and locks, or why with certain pivoting or kinetics my knee will react in a weird way.... I think the answer will be hmmmm to avoid the subject by my surgeon or just a laugh... because lets be honest here lol no one or any surgeon have i heard has taken on a wrestler with an MPFL reconstruction so he probably knows as much as i know lol its like walking blindfolded and guessing what YOU WILL HIT next i suppose lol

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #294 on: January 09, 2015, 10:20:11 PM »
Day 242-  knee very stiff - no gym -  arrrgggggg!!!!!!!!!
So my knee has gotten really stiff and I think it's for the weather because even my rots massage therapist has noticed my knee has tensed up in the past 8-10 weeks, I tried to get on the stepper machine again and I was defeated by the burning rope sensation in my knee so I went on the cross trainer instead and the bike .......
So after that I decided no gym for a couple of days to rest the leg..........
So I'm beginning to feel rather frustrated as I feel after 6 months I should not be feeling stiff getting out of bed and be struggling to get out of bed....... It's rather frustrating me because I'm so active generally that my knee is just saying no no no no no !!

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #295 on: January 10, 2015, 01:17:12 AM »
questions i have about MPFL unanswered :

SO I FEEL THIS LAST 3 -5 WEEKS has given more questions more than answers with MPFL surgery reconstruction so i hope my surgeon is ready for them when i ask them lol.

So right now i am feeling i have gone back a few steps i try to go forward but my knee either stops, gets stiff or just doesn't play ball lol. Some people have asked did i return to the wrestling too soon? I believe i did not. I believe the two accidents i had especially the final role has played a major part in my set back.
i am so unsure of how to tackle my knee right now there is nothing specifically in black and white as in how to  tackle the problems i have. e.g flexion, pain within new ligament, roped burn sensation, swelling. i'M JUST HAVING TO ASSESS my knee day by day to see how it acts.....

It has got to the point where i have had to ask my manager in my desk job which is my second job as a back up..... that i needed holiday to try to get rid of the issues in my knee..... for example swimming rehabilitation with wrestling physio etc.
But most importantly to try to get some decent sleep, to be honest the pain is worst at night when i am trying to sleep which is rather annoying but i just keep ploddng along lol I just am very confused because when the knee is relaxing especially in a bed i shouldnt be feeling this sort of pain.........

My leg is getting tight and stiff and i cannot explain why expect for the past 10 weeks when it has got worse which would explain weather issues effecting the joint???

The question i ask myself also is kinetics, physics and the movement of wrestling can the MPFL reconstruction take so much force especially in wrestling when we fly out of rings land on cement etc?
i GOT TOLD BY ONE STATISTICIAN my risk of rupturing it could be within 3 years due to the forces being so high in wrestling....... TO BE HONEST i cant ask my surgeon that question because i don't think he even knows the type of wrestling i do, he probably thinks its more Olympic wrestling like mat to mat but i fly out of rings into crowds onto hard floors the pressures on the joints are immense, this is why after doing 20 matches post mpfl surgery im considering retiring from the sport.......

Today for example i have had shooting pains down my foot my knee is triple the size and i am thinking when is too much too much when it comes to rehabilitation when there is no context or literature to give you an idea when to stop? some literature says a complication of mpfl surgery is swelling long term and some say that is a negative side again what is right or wrong what do you believe? This is why i am trying to go by what my body is telling me to do...... rather than against literature because with MPFL SURGERY ITS  not very informative...... lol but i just keep going and trying new things to see what i can give to others to help them =)

very frustrated now but dont know what to say lol expect i hope my surgeon is ready to speak with me because my surgeon wont get a word in edgeways untill every question has been answered lol.........

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #296 on: January 11, 2015, 12:51:04 AM »
Day 243 mpfl reconstruction photo swelling finally going

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #297 on: January 11, 2015, 08:15:02 PM »
day 244 - working more in the gym - still sleep deprived - feeling sarcastic lol
so as the independent doctor said i could work out in the i have been increasing it and changing a few things off as cut a long story short i do not have a personal trainer at the moment as she fell off her horse, and broke her collar bone and had to have surgery to resolve an internal bleeding issue after the horse accident, so i have been working more with my wrestling physio the last week .......
So im doing some weight resistance with the knee to make sure the quads, VMO and hamstrings are all as strong as can be i like to be sure to cross my t's and dot my i's before i finally think the issue is not my issue, my physio has checked the VMO and says its back to regular strength, as well as my sport massage therapist has said this... I have also been doing ladder techniques, bosu and TRX exercises to increase the strength as much as possible ........ but my physio said my legs are strong and believes its not my issue, how do you tell a surgeon that lol............
Finally to add i feel abit annoyed well no annoyed cause i generally dont get angry but after all these dislocations previous to the MPFL surgery i had put on over 8 stone in weight........ because i didnt have a doctor think outside the box and treat me as an athlete.... my surgeon said to me when i was drugged out of my head after the surgery you have to lose the excess weight now.... i said i would i and he said no you wont take your time..... so i thought bugger it i will prove him wrong a surgeon of 20 years lo so before the surgery i lost 4 stone then after him saying that i lost another 7 stone so in a period of under a year i have lost 11 stone with the help of a personal trainer four hours a day in the gym....and also got through DVT MPFL reconstruction and an MUA, and you know what my surgeons nurse assistant last time did not recognise me she came up to me while in his consult and sat and said well done keep it up you look great its amazing !! but my surgeon just at there smiled and laughed i think i deserve a bloody well done from him lol
 Even my independent doctor has noticed the change in me the weight loss and has congratulated me..
So why hasn't my surgeon?? Is it because i have proven him wrong or are doctors to afraid to say it?? but there just as quick to complain about BMI lol but not applaud you on weight loss. I even saw some of his doctors around him and they were more worried with my weight loss that i might not wrestle WTH?? i mean surely if you see a patient has lost weight you should be saying keep it up well done, since most doctors always moan about BMI  and weight lol So will my surgeon say well done to me...... even when my personal trainer came with me to the consult she showed him the pictures of my transformation but again no well done?? i must admit the mpfl reconstruction has given me my life back but all i want is my surgeon to recognise how far i have come in weight but also how quickly i returned to the wrestling, but i dont think a doctor likes to be proven wrong lol we shall wait and see if he says anything lol........

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #298 on: January 12, 2015, 09:13:50 PM »
day 245- tried to jog i did it!! - but then knee swelled up again

SO I MANAGED TO JOG today but then my knee swelled up again and is all stiff, so i think lots and lots of questions for the surgeon in two weeks YEY!!! feeling not amuzed and rather sarcastic lol

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #299 on: January 14, 2015, 12:06:05 AM »
day 246 - round up on opinion of MPFL SURGERY............
So i have just over another two weeks to go till i see my surgeon, and if he signs me off i will be only updating this diary every month rather than daily... so i thought i would put my opinions forward..... about the world of MPFL RECONSTRUCTION..........

As i have said before i have found MPFL reconstruction to be like a rollercoaster, it has its ups and downs, its unexpected corners, it's bump bits, and it turns and twists, but when you finally finish that rollercoaster your like WOAH!! lol Because the experience as a whole for me has been crazy lol........

Has MPFL RECONSTRUCTION BEEN THE RIGHT CHOICE for ME? let's look at the positives and negatives
since the surgery in May 2014

POSITIVES                                                         Negatives
1)NO dislocations                                               1)Loss of flexion (slight)
2) more stable knee                                            2) Sub laxtions x6
3)less crunching                                                 3) stiffness and swelling
4)ablity to run                                                     4) problems sleeping
5)more active                                                      5) Medial overloading
                                                                            6) Nerve pain to the foot/ rope burn

So from an athletes perspective if we look at the negatives, then you can see some of these issues may
effect a standard athlete from returning to their sport, to be honest i don't care lol i will try it if i can and learn through biofeedback or trial and error, to confirm what i can do and can't do..... The stiffness and swelling is a major issue for me right now, if thats to do with the weather i don't know i'm not Einstein lol.

finding the stiffness and swelling have a major issue with my sport and then i feel this creates the medial overloading issue and sometimes the issues with sleeping also, and also i feel like a rope burn sensation in my knee as if the ligament is rubbing on my bone.....so something i suppose to speak with my surgeon.. generally the shooting pains to my foot i just get on with it and ignore it, as we know with every surgery you have to expect some form of complication.................but sometimes i do get rather frustrated how one complication can hold me back because i'm a very athletic person.....

With the positive parts, yes in a day to day normal patients life it has given me the stability i can now wear a heel and not thing my knee is going to dislocate, before i had the swelling issues with my knee i could run 10km easy, it is generally more stable as in its not longer feeling wobbly my knee like Elvis Presley when he had the shaky leg lol ....... Yes i feel more stable but my complications are frustrating me presently......

So i suppose what i am trying to say is for a day to day normal life patient i would say take the opportunity and go for it and have the surgery because it will give you a lot of stability back in your leg.......

but i will say to athletes within high contact sports my surgeon said to me im now not allowed to land forward because of the risk of fracturing my knee cap/ patella , i even got told by a statician he worked out my risk of fracturing my knee cap could be 80% by returning to wrestling.......so consider full risks and the ability to adapt within your sport before having MPFL surgery as athletes we can adapt quite quickly, however try to understand what changes to make or how to adapt your techniques in your sport before having MPFL surgery...............

Moving on to doctors and Physiotherapist......... make sure you have a doctor that CAN answer your questions as well as a physiotherapist as it can only cause more frustration when you seek answers to your questions which they cannot answer if they do not have the knowledge of MPFL reconstruction.....

At the end of the day you are the patient, and you want to make sure you get the answers you need...
MPFL is complicated enough in itself that there is so little information available to the patient... so in theory... we are just left for us to deal with it ourselves and find a way..................

For time frames i would suggest don't believe the doctors but the physiotherapist more as they know
and see on a daily basically recovery and rehabilitation processes...... some doctors will make the recovery process seem longer than it truly is to cover themselves............

RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH...... try to find as much information as you can on MPFL RECONSTRUCTION  so you can have an idea of rehabilitation techniques recovery times etc.

The MPFL reconstruction for me was a roller coaster now considering, i jumped into chairs fly and fall onto cement my pain is generally use to pain and has a high pain threshold but its the strangest / worst pain i have felt even my independent doctor was confused why my leg was so swollen and massive blistered red and the pain was strong in the first 10 days i blacked out a few times in the first 4 weeks,,,,,, but after that the pain got better after my MUA, and the swelling went dramatically down and i was checked for DVT LUCKILY i did not have it..... my progression was slow in the first three weeks due to complications but i became annoyed with one thing my surgeon said "Oh i thought you would be an easy case."

So it forced me to rethink my whole rehabilitation programme and look outside the box because the exercises the physio had given me were useless, and constantly about bend the knee bend the knee...... SO I GOT TOGETHER WITH a few personal trainers and my wrestling physio and tried brand new techniques with TRX, Ladder techniques, TABATA training, rolling meshes, weight resistance,sliding.. to get me going and....... it worked.......... sometimes by listening to different opinions it can only be a benefit, even my independent doctor was shocked by my progress considering the amount of complications  i had....

so one thing i will say with an MPFL RECONSTRUCTION is go for it but think outside the box when it comes to rehabilitation because even the doctors are still learning things about mpfl reconstruction