Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary  (Read 90075 times)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
Re: An athletes mpfl reconstruction diary
« Reply #195 on: October 26, 2014, 08:51:55 AM »
Day 167 - a&e - doctors don't know what mpfl is - waiting game

So I decided to go and get it checked the triage nurse I saw didn't know what mpfl surgery was then I saw the doctor who didn't know what mpfl I felt like banging my head on his desk it was rather frustrating have to explain to another doctor and actually show him pictures lol........ I should do my own book about mpfl surgery so doctors can learn lol

so what he decided to do was check I had no fractures which he cleared thank goodness !! But then he dropped bad news in me and he said judging by the size of the knee I'm hoping you haven't ruptured your knee ligament so I need to refer you back to the orthopaedic clinic to make sure you have ruptured it and get an mri as your knee is too swollen  so have to wait till Monday for an answer I got in at 4am and I only had one hour sleep he has given me codine phosphate dicoflenic paracetamol and ibropfuen to help with the pain till I see a orthopaedic doctor oh joy lol  I had to laugh or I will just get frustrated I hope  I don't see my surgeon because he only signed me off to wrestle 3 weeks ago... Any other doctor will be fine lol
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 05:12:51 PM by lucha86 »

Offline Leenie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #196 on: October 26, 2014, 12:03:49 PM »
Yikes, Lucha! Hopefully, you'll get good news on Monday...

Don't you just love it when medical professionals are so clueless about MPFL reconstructions? From this board, it seems like a pretty standard procedure, at least in the sports medicine context. I know orthopaedics is a specialty, but don't doctors have to know about all the bones and ligaments of the body at some point in the careers?

Let us know what you find out from the MRI!

Best,
Leenie

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #197 on: October 26, 2014, 05:28:50 PM »
Thanks Lennie
I find it rather amazing and amusing that when you go to a doctor and you go hey I have had mpfl surgery standard doctors look at you with a ' errrr.... What's that '  you think and this is a doctor who is clueless about how to treat me so right now I'm a guinea pig.... Lol.........

You would think before a doctor would see you they would read your notes and if they don't know something look it up before you see the patient lol

On the athletic front I don't think many doctors have a clue with athletes and mpfl lol I have had a rather few discussions with my surgeon saying I'm a guinea pig .......and he says I shouldn't feel like that and I said well if I have no answers to my question what else is there except trial and error... I even said to him let's be honest here you have never dealt with a lot of athletes he smiled said nothing........ Classics when doctors wont want to admit when a patient is correct... In which I replied to him so I am right I am a guinea pig because you have no idea how much stress an mpfl reconstruction can take so this is perfect research for you because it's such a unique case and you can't answer my question and he laughed and smiled  again and his nurse nodded her head and smiled at me behind his back..... So I was right....

Because if you think of all the pivoting motions we do in sports and all stresses that can happen on the knee it is a rather grey area of medicine because of the different stresses that any joint can be put under so how do doctors know what works for athletes without the athlete of that surgery trialing and testing the joint to see how it performs then reporting back to the doctor

What I do believe is from this surgery if you don't try you never know, because everyone is different and unique...........I just think proving doctors wrong is the best way of changing surgeons opinions on rehab , surgery techniques etc without the patients and testing and research and trail and errors techniques we wouldn't be in such a great world of modern surgery this one surgery has given me my life back which is truly amazing and i think without a lot of trial and error and research medicine cant gain ground without it =)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 06:46:24 PM by lucha86 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #198 on: October 26, 2014, 06:33:47 PM »
My legs after being  taken Dow by the tourist left leg all bruised up right knee swollen showing some bruising but has went down as taken painkillers and cryocuff. The bruise on my left leg goes up my whole quad! Hoping knee will get the ok this Wednesday

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #199 on: October 27, 2014, 10:40:49 PM »
Day 168- cant get out of bed- wrestling physio suggestions- high on painkillers- Got AN APPOINTMENT!
So today i tried to get myself out of bed... as soon as i good out the pain threshold shot through the roof!!
So i gave in and decided to take some painkillers so i could get to work that the doctor gave me......
Well very high on medications i was in my little bubble all day long, even my work colleagues were saying i was so spaced out even my clients/ customers were asking me if i was ok over the phone i thought to myself if i can get through today then i have a leiu day......
So the orthopaedic department got back to me and said they need to see me on Thursday at 9am the first appointment of the day...... i remember i kept going yea and even the medical secretary on the other line was like are you ok and i remember saying fine, on ibuprofen, paracetamol, codeine phosphate absolutely fine i remember her laughing.... and her saying oh dear is the pain that bad and i replied you try getting out of bed and scratching down the walls because you cant stand up it seemed to get my point across lol
Im finding the pain is when im sitting down with a bent knee is terrible and when i get up the pain is incredible after sitting or lying down........
So the wrestling physio rang me and suggested it would be a good idea to work with my personal trainer at the gym to assess what my knee can do and cant do to give him an idea of what is going on with the knee......
So i found i can only go on the stepper or cross training running makes my knee scream at me the bike my knee hates and the rower its just a no go right now........ so the wrestling physio think i might have either ruptured it or there is swelling behind the knee cap because of the fall and in the deeper tissues and on the femur aswell...... SO POSITIVE ISNT HE LOL ........
So im just annoyed lol the bruising now is alot worse than it was and i feel my quads are pretty badly bruised so its a case of waiting till thursday now i suppose OH JOY !! lol But i will say to the doctor i dont want my surgeon knowing about what has happened as he will more than likey freak lol ! Walking is still a bit of an issue but at least im walking =))

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #200 on: October 27, 2014, 11:00:09 PM »
Bruising showing now oh joy lol

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 380
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #201 on: October 27, 2014, 11:05:39 PM »
Are you really trying to use gym equipment despite what happens and before you know what's been damaged? And while spaced on painkillers  ???

Hope you get a diagnosis on Thursday. The leg looks really swollen

Good luck h
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #202 on: October 28, 2014, 12:02:24 AM »
it sounds mad but it was just a test as my physio wanted to see what works and what doesnt to assess my knee as certain machines will work different parts of the leg so i tried it for like 30 seconds on each machine no more............ just to assess the joint as how its moving but we have found today i have lost a little extension  and the flex has been affected .......but i hope its only bruising........

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #203 on: October 28, 2014, 07:09:29 PM »
day 169 - drugged up to eyeballs- measured swelling- knee is buggered lol
So have been topping up on the medication as without it my knee is too painful it keeps seizing up when i sit down or lying down and the pain is terrible when i stand up........ we measured my legs ( me and my pt) against last week my right knee which is my surgery knee has went up by 5 inches and the quad has went up by 6 inches!!!! i have to double take on it and we double checked it so its rather shocking ... my left leg with the bruised quad has went up by 5 inches also.......... i don't know what else to say but my knee is buggered lol  for saving a tourist lets just hope this doctor in under 48 hours can give me good news because i'm pretty annoyed right now lol lesson learnt don't save a tourist from getting hit by a taxi lol just need some hope from this doctor because i have matches in 12 weeks time ://// oh well i least i still have some humour lol

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #204 on: October 29, 2014, 09:12:59 PM »
Day170 - knee picture

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #205 on: October 29, 2014, 09:15:17 PM »
Day170 second picture

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #206 on: October 29, 2014, 09:29:14 PM »
day 171- day before see orthopaedic doctor- knee cracking - swollen - have to laugh lol
so tomorrow i see if he knows what mpfl is i will be happy if he doesnt i will ask to see another doctor who knows because i just want someone just to check everything is ok so i can get active again ..........
my knee keeps cracking sounds out of it and im like that does not sound healthy lol and its swollen the bruising is getting blacker so fingers crossed it will be gone in a couple of days..... im still on medication as it keeps seizing up when i get up or sit down for long periods after the fall....
To be honest i have to laugh if i dont i will just get frustrated because by me trying to help someone and save their life and then its just my luck that would happen lol oh well fingers and toes crossed for tomorrow lol

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #207 on: October 30, 2014, 07:25:58 PM »
day 172- A spine clinic wth?? - fighting for an MRI - physio ballistic- more talking
So today went to the fracture clinic to find out it what for problems with spine, and i remember i said to the doctor last time i checked my knee was lower  than my spine he laughed...... He checked my knee i explained how my knee has went up by 6 inches in size it keeps seizing up and how i got hit by a taxi and that my physio and promotors would not allow me to get back into the ring without the mri and he refused to sign the paper, and then he said oh you have lost flexion and i can see your joint is stiff then i requested an mri again he said wait see how it is in two weeks and if not better then an mri...... I said this to my physio and promotor and they both went ballistic... they said you have been hit by a taxi at full impact and fallen back down onto the kurb at full force on your knees and quads... YOU SHOULD HAVE HAD ONE 4 DAYS AGO!
Now they refused to touch me or allow me to wrestle and they wanted words with my doctor to ask why i attended a spine fracture clinic and not a knee clinic and considering the impact surgery and nature of sport i do why no mri has been asked for.... to be honest they had a few pitchforks out lol
So i thought i would write to the medical secretary of my surgeon to ask for a request then she told me he was on holiday so i said to her thanks for helping but i will ask for a gp referral for an mri she asked what had happened for me to need one i explained i go hit by a taxi my leg was bruised etc and i needed an mri as the doctor had refused to sign it . I am always nice with the medical secretary as they put up with a lot of patient issues so i always send them a treat or gift now and again as a thank you for helping...... so she said she would speak to my surgeon on Monday to get him to sign one and low and behold within two hours she said she managed to get in contact with him and explained the situation and he got a referral for me
So she really helped me which i am very thankful for so now my wrestling physio can check the mri once i get it done tomorrow and be sure my knee is ok to continue and also my trainers can as well as my physio said yes they cleared you for fractures but they forget if your an athlete they say your leg is ok and you go into a match and you hurt it because they didnt check it on a mri they would be alot of consequences for the doctor from it as long as i get everything checked in black an white im happy and the others around me are happy.... IT REALLY ANNOYS ME HOW SOME DOCTORS ALWAYS TALK ABOUT LIABILITY it is so SAD to think that doctors are more worried about being sued and i just say as long as you make me better and everything is ok im great and i will thank you with A gift  simple i know all doctors are under stress and people should appreciate them for trying to help us =)) I mean for my surgeon to sign it on his annual leave is very nice of him and now fingers crossed by saturday i should have an answer of the mri =))

Offline Leenie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #208 on: October 31, 2014, 04:38:50 PM »
Wow, I can't believe the first doctor wouldn't sign off on the MRI! I would be so mad. At least you eventually got the order for the MRI. Let us know what you find out. Are you still hopped up on pain meds?

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #209 on: October 31, 2014, 07:37:26 PM »
hey leenie - day 177 - moving slowly back into training - off painkillers-
i forced myself off the painkillers just putting up with it now so then i know when i am training it i have started going back to the gym training with two personal trainers who are being extra cautious and watching how my knee acts with the smallest of movements.....because i was getting frustrated running i cant do as the bruising is  very deep and my knee cant take it i can do the bike and cross trainer rower i cant so hopefully by tomorrow i will have answers =)) i will put up a picture if i can if im to be honest i think its deep bruising in my knee but my promotor wants to check if to be 100% sure so i can return to the wrestling....
Im glad leenie i went to my surgeon because he understands from an athletes point of view i need to make sure everything is 100% ok because without it i could not go into the wrestling etc............. or my insurance would not be happy for the doctor not checking with a mri before me entering the ring again after having a trauma hit.....