Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Dealing with Plica Syndrome for over a year-- hesitant to undergo surgery?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline daskray

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hey guys new to the forum here.I have been dealing with pain and constant uncomfortable clicking for over a year in my left knee that occurs with any bending of the knee and had originated from an injury from a set of heavy barbell squats. Went ahead and got an MRI and was diagnosed with plica syndrome.

Unfortunately, I had went through PT for about 3 months with no progress, took a cortisone shot, and have laid off leg exercises during this whole time period but to no avail.  I went ahead and had a consultation with an orthopedic surgeon concerning having surgery was quite adamant that I should probably not opt for surgery as he hasn't had very much success in performing this surgery and that theres a bit of risk involved as it may turn out worse than it was prior to surgery.

Despite being at a loss with what I can do at this point without having to opt in for surgery, I am still hesitant to undergo surgery as I do not want to undergo the trials and tribulations of the process to only let myself be at a worse state than I was before. Ultimately, I am just wondering if anyone has went through the process of having surgery for plica syndrome and what sort of result did it yield? Any opinions with what I should do next would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Hi There,

I had my medial plica removed and my fat pad trimmed in November 2009, felt sudden pain and catching inside my right knee, similar to a torn cartilage as the symptoms are similar. Soft tissue injuries of the knee can be extremely painful and uncomfortable.

I also went down the conservative route 1st before having an exploratory scope of PT and a cortisone injection into the actual fat pad that was swollen with some fluid around it. Once my OS was inside my right knee he had to remove the medial plica and trim the fat pad. They both restricted the movement inside the knee, hence the sharp pain and catching I was experiencing pre op. 

Post op recovery was slow and had problems with scar tissue, this was thankfully sorted out with friction massage, cortisone injection and IMS (dry needling) by my sport physician. Now back to square one again with surgery due on my right knee after a heavy fall on black ice, plus overdoing it by running through the knee pain.

It is your choice at the end of the day, knee surgery is a risk that can go 50/50 could go in your favour or against you, does increase your chances of arthritis in the knee joint, the muscles around your knee shrink, rather than being firm, will feel like jelly.

As long as you stick to your PT post op your recovery will be a success and decrease the risks of arthritis. Many patients that have a knee surgery are a success returning to full fitness. I have PFS, maltracking and a low lying patella plus overdone it running too much so have increased my knee problems myself.

Looks like I may have partly warned out my right knee so may need to have mircofracture surgery done to regenerate cartilage cell formation to form new layers of cartilage, replacing the damaged cartilage by piercing holes into the bone of the kneecap after my OS has removed any damaged cartilage.

My OS told me if the pain is daily and restricting your mobility then it is a wise choice to have an exploratory scope. It is more accurate than an MRI scan that can often miss things out like a torn cartilage and other knee related injuries.

Good luck in what you decide to do next, here is my diary of my medial plica removal and fat pad trim.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=43471.0

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming