Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Saw my OD: Here's what he said  (Read 1245 times)

Offline miltonia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Saw my OD: Here's what he said
« on: February 03, 2004, 11:19:22 PM »
I posted a few weeks back. I have a crackling sound in my knee with some on and off tenderness. I saw a chirporactor who said it was patello-femoral syndrome. He ordered xrays. The xrays were negative. I then saw an orthopoedic dr. today and took my xrays with me. He found them to be normal with no sign of arthritis or meniscal tears.  He couldn't say why I was having this crackling noise, and he couldn't give me any diagnosis. He just sort of said to do some quad exercises and take Advil. I guess I'm relieved, although he did think it was odd that I had this loud crackling noise for no obvious reason. He surmised that there are many variants of normal and that this was one of them. I'm only 31. I also had an interesting thought: I stopped breastfeeding my 16-month old two weeks before this crackling sound came about. I thought that from a hormonal standpoint, perhaps my ligaments were affected by the dropping hormone levels which somehow affected my knee. He thought it was interesting for about two seconds and then sort of waved me away. Should I seek a 2nd opinion or should I just be grateful that there is nothing overt going on?

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Saw my OD: Here's what he said
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 12:26:21 AM »
What sort of xrays were taken? I just wonder as it's very vague to just say the xrays show no sign and send you on your merry way.  However, it could be nothing. Your Hormone comment I found interesting. My knees get alot worse when I am menstruating and it has something to do with the hormone levels and the cartilage... don't fully understand it..but it made sense when I was researching it.  They do say that noise in the knee when not accompanied by pain can be normal.  :-/ I used to get a plastic bag crinkling noise in my right knee, when I was younger, before my problems started to progress...is that the sort of noise you get?
Take care
HUGs
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline miltonia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 03:15:33 PM »
I had regular xrays taken--no MRI. It is very vague and unsettling that you can have this loud noise. My knee is tender sometimes, too. The OD poked and prodded and twisted and there was no pain, no swelling, no warmth or redness to the knee. He said the noise was emanating from the kneecap, that it could simply just not be lining up exactly right, and there was not much to do for it other than take Advil and strengthen my quads. So I am relieved it's not osteoarthritis, which was my fear, but I am dumbfounded as to how this happened and what is causing it.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 05:31:38 PM »
Hey !

I think you have a good point in this thing with your baby. I got more problems myself when getting my first kid. Couldn't almost walk at all and had pain in almost every joint especially my thumbbase. So my man had to be home when our daughter was little, off and on.
Cause I couldn't carry her.
If I were you I should try the excercises and the meds for a while and if nothings happens in a couple of months or get worse I would go for a second opinion.
But remember I'm no doc, it's up to you what you decide.
Anyway good luck with kneeand your little one.

Hugs from nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Debknee_mod

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 03:24:39 AM »
Patella-femoral syndrome (PFS) can be elusive on  x-rays, and is a catch-all term for a number of conditions affecting the articulation of the patella and femur: in other words, you may suffer from PFS with few symptoms and no evidence on images.  Crackling in the knee without pain is usually not a cause for great concern, and icing when the knee gets tender may help.  If the pain/tenderness persists and gets bad, seeing an orthopedist is a good idea.

As for hormones exacerbating symptoms, it's a strong possibility, and pregnant wome frequently suffer from joint-related syptoms due to loosening and softening of the soft tissues in the joint; so you're not off-base in thinking that nursing and weaning your baby has had some influnece on your symptoms.

If the tenderness is truly bothersome, some knee-strengthening exercizes, such as quad sets 9isometrics) or straight let lifts (SLRs) may help strengthen the quad muscles and keep the patella properly aligned.

Good luck and enjoy your baby!

Deb