Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Was my TTT a failure?  (Read 902 times)

Offline clentz94

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Was my TTT a failure?
« on: April 25, 2014, 05:23:38 PM »
Hello, I am an almost 20-year-old college student with a six year history of a bad left knee.
It all started in about 2008 when I planted my foot in a hole in my grandmother's backyard and felt a "pop."  Since then, I have had hundreds of subluxations and a few dislocations.  I sublux laterally almost daily.
My Dr. says that I have a horrible tilt on my patella, and that my knee is one of the most unstable he knees he has ever seen.
In 2010 I had a lateral release and arthroscopic debridement which was utterly unsuccessful.  I had no relief at all.  I dare say it became worse than before.
Two years later (Summer 2012), I had Medial Patellafemoral Ligament Reconstruction (cadaver ligament).  Still no relief and my knee drove me CRAZY. June 2013 I was standing still and fell at my university, and literally tore the ligament and all its anchoring from my knee.  This was the worst pain I have ever felt, and my boyfriend took me to the emergency room immediately because it felt as if I had done something far more serious.  I saw my OS and he scheduled Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy which he performed July 7.  That surgery was absolute hell, and the rehab was rough, too. 
On a positive note, my knee and the surrounding area does feel stronger than before, but a year later I am now experiencing shooting pain down my shin (I assume from screws).  I have read on here that most people have their hardware removed after one year?  I feel this would help pain. 
On the negative side of things, my knee STILL subluxes and I still hear it pop when I bend my leg.  I am very scared to do any motion in which I plant my foot firmly or even have a jogging gait.  It still feels as if it will sublux severely or dislocate if I do either of these things.  Should I be experiencing more stability than this, or is this normal?  The extent of my abilities is walking up stairs with more ease than before.  I am tired of being on my leg for a half hour and my knee swelling up to the size of a softball. 
What do you guys think? I am switching Orthopedic Surgeons because I have recently moved- I am seeing Dr. Caine in Birmingham at St. Vincent's (He works under the globally known Dr. Andrews).  What will he suggest? Do you think he will want to do TTT revision or even PKR?

Thanks!

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Re: Was my TTT a failure?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 06:28:58 PM »
Hi, I'm so sorry to hear that after all that surgery your knee doesn't feel much better 😞
I am 28 years old and I'm soon to be going through the same procedure, I have had 20 + dislocations with my left knee. I have a constant grinding sensation even if just moving the leg never mind walking, this will be my first ever procedure on my knee and my consultant says he wants to belt and braces my knee by offering me a double procedure.
I'm having a Tto and mpfl reconstruction as a double procedure as my os said mpfl alone might not work and the procedures work best if done together as the mpfl can fail if done alone,
Don't know wether your new surgeon will suggest re doing the mpfl know your knees feeling more stable, I have also read on the internet and on here that many people do have the screws removed 12 months post surgery.
One thing that really puts me off the surgery is a big scar on my leg, can I ask how big a scar you have been left with following the Ttt?
Fingers crossed for you that your knee can be corrected with a mpfl reconstruction again or simular because u don't really want to be having a PKr at 20.
Good luck for when you see your new consultant hopefully it's good news 😃
Best regards Emma x
Fall whilst kickboxing aged 14yrs (2000)
subluxations >10 over 15 yrs
MRI scan: 12/13
Diagnosis 02/14: trochlea dysplasia, lateralisation of the patella, patella Alta, mpfl rupture, damage to back of knee cap ++
22/09/14 - Fulkerson osteotomy, MPFL Reconstruction, Microfracture, chondroplasty

Offline michelle1223

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 11:08:13 PM »
Hi there,

Firstly, thank you for being courageous enough to share your story.

My knee journey practically mirrors yours. I stepped in a pothole when I was 12, its been dislocating ever since, I'm now 29.

September 2015 I had a TTO and Lateral Release done. My sublexions are now stable in extension (leg from 0 degrees to 90 degrees) but now my knee immediately slides into dislocation once my knee bends beyond 100 degrees (like sitting in a chair).

Once it's dislocated, I loose all motor and muscular functions.

I am curious where you're at now, did you have another TTO? They want to undo mine....

Michelle

Offline sunn

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 09:28:00 AM »
mine subluxates & swells up like mad after a ttt a couple of years ago.   had loads of physio,  which did nothing
now diagnosed as hypermobile & told pain due to arthritis & nothing further can be done as consultant said knee replacement  unadvisable as reckoned results on hypermobile patients often poor.
ps I  get  the front of  leg over screw pain too,  had it removed last  year  which helped a bit ( ie it stuck up a lot against skin  which was solved once removed)  but area still hurts  after weight  bearing

Offline neos2300

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 03:19:49 PM »

I am curious where you're at now, did you have another TTO? They want to undo mine....

Hi Michelle, i'm just wondering what you mean by "undoing" the TTO? Are you saying that it's possible to do a second op to restore your leg back to its original alignment?

Thanks