Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee braces for post lateral release surgery  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Blackbubblequeen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee braces for post lateral release surgery
« on: April 23, 2014, 09:56:41 PM »
I am a 25 year old keen hill walker and have been experiencing anterior knee pain while undertaking long and steep descents for the past few years. After a year of unsuccessful physiotherapy to strengthen my VMO and realign my kneecap following a diagnosis of Chondromalacia I went ahead with lateral release surgery on the 28th of February 2014. My surgeon stated that I have grade 3 cartilage damage.

I now have full ROM and very little pain on a day to day basis following 6 weeks of intense hydrotherapy and physiotherapy exercises. I do get some odd twinges of pain and stiffness but this is reducing quite rapidly and I have been given some scar tissue remodelling massages to lessen two particular areas of pain. I managed to walk around 5 miles on the flat at the weekend with no pain which is a great improvement. My physiotherapy checked my knee cap yesterday and he said it is now perfectly alligned and he believes that my surgery has been a success, as such he discharged me.

I am keen to get back to my mountain walking in the next few months but I want to lessen any potential pressure on my knee and to ensure my knee cap continues to track successfully so I have been thinking about getting a knee brace.  Can anybody recommend a good brace to purchase (preferably for under 50) for this purpose?

I have been looking at the following brace and just want to check if it would be suitable and this is of a suitable length:

http://www.physioroom.com/product/McDavid_Adjustable_Patella_Knee_Support/2034/38203.html

Any help and guidance would be appreciated. I would hate to undo all of my hard work over the past two months by buying an inappropriate knee brace!

Thanks - Nikky :)

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 404
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Knee braces for post lateral release surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 10:31:09 PM »
You would be best off getting in touch with your physio and asking their advice as they know your specific history.  As you say, it's best not to get it wrong :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up