Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 26 years old....Replacement an option?  (Read 2176 times)

Offline mulberrysdream

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
26 years old....Replacement an option?
« on: October 17, 2016, 11:16:06 PM »
Im about to be 26, and am now seriously looking into a replacement. After 8 surgeries (by the end of the week)....I don't know whether it's time to give up yet or not.

Has anyone ever heard of a replacement being done in someone this young? Would I be able to have any sort of active lifestyle again?

Long story short- I had a Meniscus Transplant and OATs in August of 2015. The meniscus transplant has now completely failed after being revised over the summer. I have pretty extensive arthrtis through the entire joint, and pretty severe in the medial area.

Partials seem like a waste of my time...If i'm going to do it, i'm going to do it. But is it even possible?

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice!
Right Knee-
MT Menisectomy, Chondroplasty, 10/16
MT Repair, Chondroplasty, Clean out+ BMAC/PRP7/16
Meniscus Transplant & OATs 8/15
Notchplasty,Osteophyte Removal,Prep for MT/OATs 7/15
loose body removal, menisectomy- 4/15
Menisctomy, loose body removal1/14
Lateral Release08
Meniscus Repar 07

Offline dal_knee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 47
Re: 26 years old....Replacement an option?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 12:49:30 AM »

Have you thought of consulting with Regennex??   Just a thought.  You should look into every alternative possible before considering knee replacement.    Sorry.   
2007 - partial medial meniscectomy
2010 - full thickness chondral defect & adjacent subchondral edema MFC.   Direct result of stupid partial mensicectomy from 2007.
2014 - Subchondroplasty, chondroplasty, unauthorized 2nd partial medial meniscectomy.
2015 - partial failure of subchondroplasty.

Offline mulberrysdream

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 07:09:23 AM »
I've had 5 bmac injections since July. Two in surgery and three in between.... I'm worried my meniscus transplant is now retorn for a 3rd time. My surgeon had never seen this happen before (a meniscus transplant tear itself multiple times at no fault of my own)....and while a replacement is the absolute last thing I want....I'm running out of options. I booked a consult for 12/12 (the day after my birthday)...to explore the option before I most likely loose my amazing health insurance (which I have through my father).
Right Knee-
MT Menisectomy, Chondroplasty, 10/16
MT Repair, Chondroplasty, Clean out+ BMAC/PRP7/16
Meniscus Transplant & OATs 8/15
Notchplasty,Osteophyte Removal,Prep for MT/OATs 7/15
loose body removal, menisectomy- 4/15
Menisctomy, loose body removal1/14
Lateral Release08
Meniscus Repar 07

Offline mtsarpilot

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 02:32:10 PM »
I can't give guidance on whether to do the TKR or not but do want to raise one thought for you.  Are you 26 now and therefore going to lose the insurance you have through your parents?  If so, make sure the doctor you are seeing is on whatever new insurance you come up with.  If it is ACA of course it is going to be expensive and might have a much more limited selection of providers.  You need to ensure the surgeon and hospital are on whatever plan you transition to, then PT after that.

Good luck with your decision and insurance.  Sounds like you've been working a tough road for a while.   
9/05 - Patella fracture - 5 pieces in rock climbing fall, ORIF, 3 screws & figure 8 wire
5/06 - HW Out
7/06 - Back to full activity
7/09 - Custom brace created to support knee during activity
11/15 - Surgery to clean up meniscus, remove osteophytes, attempt to get more life out of knee
11/16 - TKR