Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Cant raise leg post surgery  (Read 801 times)

Offline bizzylizzie

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
Cant raise leg post surgery
« on: April 22, 2014, 09:19:23 PM »
I had stem cell cartilage repair surgery a week ago and am currently in a leg brace locked to straight. I am supposed to be doing straight leg raises as part of my rehab but I physically cannot get my leg to lift. I have tried lots of times at different points but when I try nothing, its like the message to move isn't quite reaching my leg! I had strong quads pre surgery and so surely in the space of a week I cant have lost these, does anyone have suggestions as to why I cant do them or what I could do to help rectify this?

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Cant raise leg post surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 10:46:02 AM »
I'd try just getting the "squeeze" out of your quad without expecting it to lift your leg first.... baby steps. put  your hand under the end of the immobilizer and feel for the muscle twitches. The muscles on the side of the quad may fire before the ones on top... so do that, and go for the top ones next...Once you can think 'muscle - squeeze" then you can move to 'squeeze harder and move leg'.

try looping a towel under the immobilizer around the knee area and "assist" the lift while you try - to try and re-train the muscles to do the work when your mind tells your brain to do it.

reps reps reps.... gotta keep working at it loads.

that's all I got.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

support