Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Serious Issue affecting Quadriceps Innervation?  (Read 524 times)

Offline sulemain

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Serious Issue affecting Quadriceps Innervation?
« on: April 22, 2014, 06:54:37 PM »
First of all, thanks for reading. I have a quadriceps that is severely atrophied, I think it's the Vastus Lateralis. I had ACL replacement surgery in 2010 and it has never recovered. I'm told that the issue is bone growth in my L7 vertebrae that cuts off the nerves that power that muscle. I can do a reclined spinal twist and regain strength and innervation but it is extremely temporary. I feel like I'm running out of options. I had no issues pre-surgery and don't know why it would spring up in the wake of the injury or how to get back to where I was. Any help or advice is appreciated.

The therapist that I trust the most also said that my vertebrae was pushed back and needed to be pulled forward. He did a lot of exercises and adjustments to correct it with limited results. I regained some strength but plateaued quickly. Related, he said that one leg was shorter than the other and that I had some hip dysplasia. He treated this and had me wear inserts that corrected it, which I still wear for whatever they do. He was able to correct this part of the issue, afaik. I also have some sort of residual issue that he said I would eventually have to have them scrape behind my kneecap to resolve. My knee makes a crackling kind of noise as I extend it.

Below is what I can remember of what has been tried and not worked -- or found results that implied that it wasn't the issue:

Squats to exhaustion for at least a few months, accompanied with other leg exercises
A neurologist put needles in my leg and shot a current through that checked the signal, which all came out fine
Some Applied Kinesiology that seemed close to voodoo but had some minimal results
Multiple appointments with orthopaedic surgeons (both the operating surgeon and others) including MRIs
I believe a Cortisone Injection into my knee that actually took away the 'drag' and made my entire leg feel more normal than anything else ever has

If this is the wrong forum for this, I apologize. Regardless, any advice of even where to go from here is appreciated. I haven't been able to focus on this issue for a couple of years, unfortunately but want to do anything that I can at this point. The last time I talked to my therapist, he and I were discussing Prolotherapy and making an appointment to see a Dr. that performed it.
Thanks again,

Brett Lawrence

support