Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: slightly annoyed with surgeon  (Read 956 times)

Offline alexis34

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
slightly annoyed with surgeon
« on: April 22, 2014, 02:52:43 PM »
Apologies as this is a bit ranty,had my 1st arthrsoscopy on R Knee at the end of March (already had 2 on my L knee) and the surgeon told me that he had "tidied up the patellar and found some damage on the femur, like your left leg" at the usual chat where you are still all woozy from the op so aren't up to asking too many questions. He re-iterated this again during the 5 minutes I got with him after having the stitches out after 2 weeks when he referred me for more physio (over and above the usual post op stuff which I'm quite familiar with by now) as I said my knee keeps getting stuck during the quad exercises.
Anyway I went for physio this morning and the physio showed me the surgeon's notes from the operation before we started as he wanted me to understand "the seriousness" of the damage. Turns out there was a bit more to talk about than a quick tidy up and "some damage" - the notes state I have  Grade 3 defect on the medial femoral condyle, Grade 2 on the tibia and damage to the trochlear groove. Strangely the tidying of the patellar cartilige never got a mention in his notes. So, I'm a bit miffed at my Surgeon for not mentioning all this. perhaps he intends to talk to me about it at the 6 week appointment, I'm wondering if I should ask about why he hasn't mentioned it. Just a bit fed up about it really - I mean realistically I know my knees are dodgy and I know they arent going to get better, its just about slowing down the rate at which they get worse, but I think I should be told about what is going on in there. I did have this guy signed up to do a scope of the left knee later this year so I am wondering whether to maybe find another surgeon, also slightly worried about what that might reveal now given my left knee has always been worse than the right and 5 years ago I had femur damage there already....

sorry, just wanted to get it all off my chest to those who understand  :)
Hypermobile
LK arthroscopy Aug 2004
LK arthroscopy April 2009
RK arthroscopy March 2014

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 405
  • Neelie knee!
Re: slightly annoyed with surgeon
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 04:31:02 PM »
I think often damage to the patella and trochlea groove go hand in hand. If the patella doesn't track smoothly it scrapes at the groove as it moves

The arthritis section info hub explains the gradings. 2-3 are moderate, bone not yet exposed. Has the damage been caused by impact sport or trauma? The damage to the condyle may vary in seriousness depending on whether on the weight bearing surface

I would talk to the surgeon about your knee and concerns, I wouldn't be too miffed. Most surgeons aren't gregarious types and op notes can be succinct! Are you in the uk? Ask your gp for a copy of the post op letter, if being treated privately you may already have this

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline alexis34

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 11:06:45 AM »
 :) liked the bit about the surgeon not being that gregarious - as confirmed by the letter to my GP which just said I'd had an arthroscopy! very informative. his op notes were far more informative than he was.

Anyway, its my third op and damage on my left knee was similar when it was last looked at 5 years ago (waiting until later this year to have that looked at again as likely to need microfracture according to the informative surgeon, adn I can't take that much time off my feet until the autumn). makes sense about the patella and groove thing and I understand all the gradings etc, I was just miffed that he never mentioned half of it or even mentioned the gradings and it was left to the physio to tell me - I will be asking him all about it when I see him in 4 weeks time, and based on that will take the decision whether he does the left knee or I find someone else.
Its all unusual wear and tear, no major trauma or impact sport, most likely because I am hypermobile so all sorts of things are too floppy or out of alignment - I've had my jaw fixed too for similar wear and tear.
Hypermobile
LK arthroscopy Aug 2004
LK arthroscopy April 2009
RK arthroscopy March 2014

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 405
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 01:28:21 PM »
Does the OS have expertise in treating hypermobility?  I don't know anything about, but if going down the second opinion route (presumably privately?) it might be worth finding someone with experience.  Where are you in the UK?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

support