Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: recurring MCL injury won't heal. PLEASE HELP  (Read 2395 times)

Offline pleasehelpme

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
recurring MCL injury won't heal. PLEASE HELP
« on: April 20, 2014, 02:28:28 PM »
Hello,
In October 2013 I was playing a game of rugby as I do every week and everything was normal. A few hours after the game though I could barley walk. For the following week I could only just walk as I had a searing pain on the inside of my knee though no swelling or bruising was present. I had to rest it all the way until the following january. I then felt it was fully recovered. Everything was fine until February when once again. After a rugby game I had the same issue though it wasnt nearly as bad. I could walk fine 2 days afterwards. After online research I have decided its most likely an MCL injury though they dont normally go on for this long. Since February I rested it again and now its sore when I start to run but after a warmup its Ok then after excersise its sore for a few days. I dont know what to do as its just not recovering. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 389
  • Neelie knee!
Re: recurring MCL injury won't heal. PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 02:32:04 PM »
I would see a doctor for a diagnosis and probably a sports physio for a rehab programme based on the correct diagnosis:). You don't mention having sought advice from medical professionals who can examine your knee. In the meantime, RICE is the advice for knee injuries, so no rugby

Good luck
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline rnm37

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 05:57:55 PM »
Please take Vickster's advice above. I had an LCL tear (the ligament on the outside of the knee, opposite to the MCL) in early 2011 which I probably did not rehab correctly (I was 17 at the time, knew nothing about knees and thought i was invincible).
I subsequently ended up tearing my ACL in the same knee (a much worse injury) in my first football game back. It has sadly taken me a second ACL tear to fully appreciate how delicate knees are and how careful you need to be even with minor injuries.
I don't write this to sound like a sob story, I just hope you seek the correct advice now and get this problem solved to ensure can enjoy rugby for a long time to come.

All the best,

Ross
June 2012 - ACL rupture and lateral meniscus tear

December 2012 - ACL recon (hamstring autograft) and meniscus trim

October 2013 - Retore ACL and tore medial meniscus :(!

January 2014 - Revision ACL recon (hamstring)

Offline pleasehelpme

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 02:04:32 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions :)

support