Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TTT, is it worth it?  (Read 1006 times)

Offline emgo7

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
TTT, is it worth it?
« on: April 17, 2014, 04:03:45 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm 20 years old and dislocated my right kneecap about a month ago. 5 days after the initial dislocation, it happened again (just from me getting in to bed). Since then, I haven't dislocated it again, started physical therapy and feel relatively confident walking with out my brace on (my brace falls off my leg and is pretty much useless anyway).

I went to a OS consult today feeling optimistic that I would be told I just had to stick to PT, when he suggested a TTT. Something about my bones being misaligned. I'm a college student and am really busy/active. I feel like I don't have time to spend months in painful recovery. I don't want to rush in to getting the surgery either, the surgery itself scare mes.

I also had a DVT and several PEs in September of '13 and now I'm on blood-thinners (Coumadin for 6 mos and now I'm on Xarelto). This scares me even more knowing that I'm prone to blood clots.

I'm obviously going to get a second and third opinion from docs but I'm wondering if sticking with PT will be enough for me or if TTT is inevitable. What do you think and what were your experiences? Thank you!

Emily  :)

Offline Vickie.91

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: TTT, is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 10:09:43 AM »
Hi! I am 22 years old and also have malalignment which exerts so much pressure on my knees that I can just be walking and it dislocates... I dislocated it just under a month ago and that was the fifth time... (including partial dislocations). I don't know the exact figures but chances are it will dislocate again because you get ligament laxity/damage. By all means go and get some second opinions because I understand how frustrating it is when you have to put studying on hold.. I am over half way through my nursing degree and have had to put that on hold but personally I don't want to dislocate my knee ever again let alone in a patient's room!

Ask lots of questions.. My OS said my recovery would only be 4-6 weeks which i thought is pretty optimistic but he is very well known it seems and a senior consultant so I am putting my trust in him (anything to try and prevent the pain it caused me!) He also said to me if I just stuck with PT hes pretty much certain it would come out again!

I can understand that you would be worried about the blood clots however the medical team would take this into account and I'm sure would take as many measures as possible to prevent these reocurring..

As you're only 20 I know it seems realistic that PT will be enough.. but for me it wasn't... I had PT and I've been going to the gym for over a year doing weight training especially focusing on legs.. squats, leg presses, leg extensions etc. Very active as I don't sit down in my nursing!

All I can say is GOOD LUCK! but as it's already happened to you twice and it wasnt from like a huge impact (like most 'normal' people would have to endure to dislocate a joint' then I would strongly consider the surgery.. Just think if you don't take it and it does unfortunately dislocate again you will have to find that time.. sometimes prevenetative is better than cure (before you really do some damage in that knee)

5 dislocations/subluxations.
Joint Hypermobility Syndrome
Kneecap instability/malalignment
Awaiting knee arthroscopy and Tibial tubercle transfer.

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 09:28:24 AM »
Hi Emily,

I feel if a surgeon thinks it's necessary then it's probably required,
I am 28 & have had 10 plus dislocations with my knee and iv only just been offered this Trtment option, the consultants advised physio which didn't help at all and now I'm left with a horrible crunching in my knee every time I move it, I have worn cart ledge behind my knee due to the amount of dislocations. I have sever ligament damage so I'm awaiting an mpfl reconstruction and a Tto,

My advise is to follow what the consultant advises, don't leave it until you at the stage I am, they have told me if I leave it longer I'll be looking at a part knee replacement by 35.
Take care
Emma x
Fall whilst kickboxing aged 14yrs (2000)
subluxations >10 over 15 yrs
MRI scan: 12/13
Diagnosis 02/14: trochlea dysplasia, lateralisation of the patella, patella Alta, mpfl rupture, damage to back of knee cap ++
22/09/14 - Fulkerson osteotomy, MPFL Reconstruction, Microfracture, chondroplasty

Offline Summer007

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 05:25:46 PM »
Hi Emily,

I feel that when it comes to surgery to has to be very much a personal decision. What might be right for one person might not be right for someone else. If you have concerns about surgery its important to address them before making a decision. However, if your consultant has suggested surgery then they obviously feel that is is necessary and that it will benefit you.

I had a TTO along with another procedure last July for recurrent dislocations. I had already tried two surgeries beforehand and unfortunately due to twenty something dislocations I had done a lot of damage in there. I haven't had much success with my surgery but I feel that is because things were left to get as bad as they did and some of the damage apparently can't be repaired. I wish that I had found someone that was willing to do the surgery and not just do what they call 'less invasive' surgeries on the off chance that they might work. I am now awaiting cartilage regeneration which is basically putting off a knee replacement for as long as possible as I'm only currently sixteen!!

I'm sorry that my experience isn't a positive one, but please do remember though that everyone is different and has varied success with surgeries. Before I went ahead and had my TTO I did a lot of research and most of the experiences were positive. Many people said that it was the best thing that they had ever done and they would do it all again if they could. There are a lot of post-op diaries in the diary section that are worth a read.

Just to add, I know that you said in your post you were worried about time off as you are a student. I totally get where you are coming from as I had the same trouble. In the end I just took the time off I needed and worked at home. If your college is supportive then they shouldn't really have a problem- as long as you its not around exam period. If you go ahead with the surgery, maybe try and get it in the Summer so that you don't have to have lots of time off.

Also, I can completely understand why you are worried about blood clots with your history, but I'm sure the hospital will take great care of you. Make sure they know your history though. I know that after surgery if you are high risk, or if they think it is necessary, then they give you a course of blood thinning injections to stop you from getting blood clots. I had a 6 week course of them, and although it wasn't nice having to inject yourself everyday, I imagine it was a lot nicer than getting a blood clot!

I hope this is somewhat of a help to you. I wish you good luck in whatever decision that you make.

If you have any other questions about the surgery then please feel free to ask me and I'll try and answer you as best I can.

Best wishes. Summer :)
October 2011-L LR
August 2012-L MPFL Recon
July 2013-L TTO & MPFL revision
March 2014-L Arthroscopy surgery

support