Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL and MCL Completely torn  (Read 1301 times)

Offline tasartir

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL and MCL Completely torn
« on: April 14, 2014, 08:38:32 PM »
Hey guys,
A month ago I was in a motorcycle accident and tore both my ACL and my MCL. I might have surgery, the doctors are discussing it but in the meantime they've given me a brace and said I should definitely try and keep my thigh muscles in shape. I asked the traumatologist if I should be able to bend my leg and he said that I need to work on it. I said how, and he said just push it until you say "ow" and then try again.

That sounds like a very amateurish answer to me and not really expected from a professional. I can almost get my knee to a 90 degree angle, but any more than that there's pain in my knee.

Should I really be trying to bend my knee further? Will the pain subside and will I be able to bend it a little further in a couple of days? Also, how good is my prognosis? Will I be able to walk alright and play sports (to a lesser intensity) further on?

Thanks guys!

Offline Johnnyp060

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
Re: ACL and MCL Completely torn
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 02:44:50 PM »
Hi tasartir,
     I was involved in a dirtbike accident over 2 years ago on 3/4/12 which left me with a destroyed knee (ACL, PCL and MCL torn), I had my first surgery 5/14/12, all ligaments were replaced with cadaver ligaments, everything was going as planned till I was almost at my year mark, when I thought I'd be recovered, I went in for a checkup and my Doc told me the repairs on the MCL side never healed properly.  I could walk on it then with a brace but I had a lot of pain and beings I had no MCL my kneecap was pulled to the outside of my knee out of the femoral groove, very painful. I worked on it like that the whole summer and decided to hold off on the next surgery till winter.
     My second surgery was on 12/4/13, rebuilt my ACL, MCL and repositioned my kneecap and put an external fixator on the outside of my leg, which holds the tibia and femur in place while the repairs heal. I had the ex fix on for a month then was locked out in a straight brace for another month. After the locked out period I was allowed to start PT. Very conservative PT, during my first recovery the PT I went to used a very aggressive approach and my Doc thinks that was a contributing factor in my MCL not healing the first time. I'm going to PT twice a week now and I've been seeing an acupuncturist once a week, everything is healing really well this time and I'm slowly making progress. Hang in there, it does get better, it just takes a lot of time, rest and hard work.
     As for your Doc wanting you to bend it before surgery. My Doc wanted me to start bending it and starting PT before surgery also. The bending will get the swelling to go down.
     I run a multi ligament knee injury support page on FB, check it out, it's called The 0.02%, My Multi Ligament (ACL, PCL and MCL) knee injury. We've got a really good group of people on there in all stages of recovery. Hang in there and good luck!!!  John
3/4/12 Dirtbike crash, tore ACL, PCL and MCL
5/14/12 Surgery done to replace ACL, PCL and MCL with cadaver tendons
12/4/13 ACL and MCL replaced again, kneecap released and anchored and external fixator installed