Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Arthroscopy  (Read 697 times)

Offline ladyduran

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Arthroscopy
« on: April 14, 2014, 04:43:01 PM »
Hi everyone i am booked in to have a knee arthroscopy on the 20th May on my right knee. I am worried in case it doesnt show anything wrong.

I have had problems for about two years now where every month or so my knee locks. It always happens when i have been kneeling down apart from once it locked when i was in the bath. I do not get any other pain apart from when it locks. The pain when it locks is immense and even wiggling my toes is agony. I have to get myself into a lying down position and gradually straighten my leg. It then clunks and you can physically see it move when it unlocks. Once it is unlocked i have pain at the back of my knee for a few days.
There was one time i couldnt unlock it and had to have the paramedics out to give me gas and air.

The surgeon said he wants to go in and see if there is a problem he can treat, they said it maybe my plica or my cartilage getting trapped. I really have no idea what it could be.

I work in a supermarket and do various jobs,  how long will i need to be off for?
Whats the recovery time?

Any advice from people experiencing similiar symptoms or who have had an arthroscopy would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Sharon

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 389
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Arthroscopy
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 05:00:55 PM »
Everyone is different and every surgeon is different.  Mine is pretty conservative I think, and after my meniscus was trimmed and cartilage tidied up, signed me off work for 3 weeks (office job, with some travelling), no driving for 3 weeks (left leg). I used crutches on and off for about 4 weeks.  My knee had been locked bent for 5 months, physio didn't help.

After my second scope which was a tidy up and jab, I was on,y off forms couple of weeks, no crutches and had on,y a week off driving as I had an automatic car by then.

Realistically after an arthroscopy, you'll likely want to rest up for a couple of weeks, more depending on what is done and how you feel

Have you had an MRI?

Good luck, make sure you know what you need to do after the op in terms of icing and physio exercises, take painkillers to keep on top of the pain.  Until you know what is done, it's quite hard to advise really, talk to the surgeon or nurses after the op (it also varies by country, are you in the UK?)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Vickie.91

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Arthroscopy
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:14:25 PM »
As said everyone is individual and it depends on what they actually do in your knee...

I've worked on day surgery and many of the people walked in and walked out indepently (maybe a little hobble), and the advice we gave is you know you're own body so you'll know when you're ready to go back. Unfortunately as a knee arthroscopy is used for diagnosing and treating knee problems the surgeon may not decide what to do until he's inside your knee!

Good luck!!
5 dislocations/subluxations.
Joint Hypermobility Syndrome
Kneecap instability/malalignment
Awaiting knee arthroscopy and Tibial tubercle transfer.

support