Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Freaking out about surgery  (Read 678 times)

Offline nnnieder

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Freaking out about surgery
« on: April 12, 2014, 05:55:32 AM »
Okay so I'm not too sure what I'm should write here, but I would love some really helpful advice back from whoever wants to read this.

I am 17 years old and I hurt my knee in a gymnastics accident in mid January, though I wasn't fully aware of my injury until mid March. And yes, I did continue competing with my injured knee knowing that I was in pain. My trainers at my high school kept telling me that nothing was wrong so I thought nothing of it, but I was still in a lot of pain so I finally decided to go get an X-Ray. The results were surprising because I ended up getting a Femoral Condyle fracture. I'm still not 100% sure what really happened.

After six weeks of wearing a brace and doing little to no activity, I went in for another X-ray to see if it healed. I was very shocked to find out that it actually had gotten much worse. My doctor said that now the only way to insure it to heal is to have surgery and he gave me two options for surgery. I chose the easiest one (Microfracture) since its my senior year and I have so much coming up so quickly(senior prom, graduation, etc...) My mom also sent my X-ray to two other doctors and they also both highly recommended me to get surgery.

I'm just so scared and I do not want to have this procedure at all. The doctors said there isn't a 100% chance this will help my knee. What if I end up getting this procedure done and it doesn't end up helping my knee at all? I'm freaking out for all thats to come next week...

I need some advice for myself because I have been freaking out so much from finally finding out that I need to actually get this procedure done. I don't like the thought of having any surgery and being out for a long time. What am I suppose to expect for the pain when I'm out of surgery? Will there be a lot of pain? How long will I be in pain for? I've just really been freaking out and I need some helpful advice to help calm me down.

Thank you,
Nicole

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Freaking out about surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 01:37:47 AM »
Please don't forget to ask what the recovery from the different procedures is before choosing, if your upcoming activities are going to be affected. When I had microfracture on my femoral condyle, I was not allowed to put any weight on the knee for 2 months.

If one procedure has a lot longer period on crutches than another, that may affect your decision as well. Find out about the pros and cons of each procedure, and the recovery afterwards for them (time on crutches, therapy etc), then decide. You may find that there's something you didn't consider.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline schnops

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 15
Re: Freaking out about surgery
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 05:12:43 PM »
Hey Nicole!
I am your exact age so I thought that I could help you or at least relate to you! I had a different surgery, but they did fracture my tibia and put screws in, so I know what it is like to be in a lot of pain.  It seems like you are most worried about the amount of pain you will be in. That's a scary thought. But your OS will give you a ton of meds through your IV during and right after the surgery. You shouldn't wake up in too much pain, but if you do just ask the nurse an they will quickly give you some more. Once you are home just stay on top of the meds! I took oxycodone every 4 hours and my pain was minimal. That's probably my biggest suggestion...stay on top of those meds. And take it easy for awhile after the surgery!

Have you ever had surgery before? When is it scheduled for?

I was in a leg immobilizer and crutches for 8 weeks, and I'm a junior in high school. Not easy to get around and stuff, but I went to school for half days for awhile. Also ask your school nurse if there will be a wheelchair available. Any type of surgery certainly isn't easy, but I think the more you are able to keep your nerves down, the easier it will be.  Search both of the surgery options on this website and read some post op diaries so you know what to expect. I did that before all 5 of my surgeries and it really helps to calm the nerves!

Feel free to ask any questions :) People on this site are great and there is a TON of info on here about just about every surgery!
TTO, LR, arthoscopy, medial tightening R leg -03/'13
Hardware Removal- 9/'13
TTO, LR, athroscopy, medial tightening L leg- 10/'13
VMO advancement, LR, trochleoplasty

support