Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Cartiform cartilage graft for chondromalacia patella  (Read 20679 times)

Offline willrunagain

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 55
Re: Cartiform cartilage graft for chondromalacia patella
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 08:02:53 PM »
Many thanks for this information, Canyonking.  This blog has been super helpful. My first OS is only offering Denovo, but from my research it seems the tissue repair resulting from cartiform is superior to Denovo. I am making the 2 hour drive from Cincinnati to Indianapolis to see Dr. Jack Farr.  He is the closest OS to me that offers cartiform.

My last question is how was the insurance approval process for this procedure?  Since it is such a new procedure, I was wondering if you had difficulty getting it approved.

Offline canyonking

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 05:20:39 PM »
Yeah, my OS prefers cartiform to denovo. I agree that the research shows more promising results from cartiform. The only issue I had with insurance was they would only authorize it at a certain hospital over the preferred hospital chosen by the OS. Weird though, as the hospital charged exorbitant fees for my stay there. I have Altius insurance and they covered the procedure fully. I plan on doing the same to my left knee this December. The surgery was hell, but the result was worth it by far. I wish you luck and success. Let me know if you have any more questions, and send updates if you get it done. Thanks.

Offline willrunagain

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 03:04:48 PM »
Well, I just saw Dr. Farr on Monday and he said I was a good candidate for Cartiform. He quoted me an 85% success rate, so I am inclined to proceed.  He sent the initial letter to my insurance, so I am waiting on approval for now.  He seems to be optimistic that my insurance will approve since cartiform falls under the same category as osteochondral allografting.  So I guess the waiting game begins.....

Offline willrunagain

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 11:24:09 PM »
I just wanted to update anyone still following this thread that my insurance has approved the cartiform procedure for my patella defect.  I have scheduled the surgery for September 8th.  I will be starting my own post op diary once the big day gets here.

Offline pilsoo5861

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 03:08:29 AM »
Thank you for your update. I esteem your smart and elaborate judgement, I wish you can run again after successful surgery with cartiform.

Offline pilsoo5861

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2015, 03:03:22 PM »
Yeah, my OS prefers cartiform to denovo. I agree that the research shows more promising results from cartiform. The only issue I had with insurance was they would only authorize it at a certain hospital over the preferred hospital chosen by the OS. Weird though, as the hospital charged exorbitant fees for my stay there. I have Altius insurance and they covered the procedure fully. I plan on doing the same to my left knee this December. The surgery was hell, but the result was worth it by far. I wish you luck and success. Let me know if you have any more questions, and send updates if you get it done. Thanks.
Hello! Canyonking!

I am wondering if your recent condition is more improving and having surgery schedule for your left knee. Please update!

Offline canyonking

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 09:06:50 PM »
I just love my right knee on which I had the cartiform graft on about a year and a half ago. Pain is all but gone. I just had it scoped 6 weeks ago. He removed a large piece of scar tissue and smoothed out the cartilage that was whispy after having grown in. It's smooth as butter now. It's not an 18 year old knee again but it's pretty damned good. I'm going to schedule having the left knee done this December. I get my MRI on it this month to make sure it's a candidate. Wish me luck!

Offline willrunagain

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 03:41:13 AM »
Thanks for posting canyonking. It's great to see positive results especially when it comes to treating patella defects. I just had a cartiform graft implanted on my right patella 4 weeks ago. The first two weeks we're definitely rough, but I'm hopeful it'll be all worth it. Please let us all know if you are candidate to get your left knee fixed with cartiform too!

Offline pilsoo5861

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 04:02:17 AM »
I just love my right knee on which I had the cartiform graft on about a year and a half ago. Pain is all but gone. I just had it scoped 6 weeks ago. He removed a large piece of scar tissue and smoothed out the cartilage that was whispy after having grown in. It's smooth as butter now. It's not an 18 year old knee again but it's pretty damned good. I'm going to schedule having the left knee done this December. I get my MRI on it this month to make sure it's a candidate. Wish me luck!
Great! Thanks! Congratulations! I really wish you lots of lucks with your left knee.

Offline jjackish

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2015, 08:09:35 AM »
Can you not directly message members of this forum?

Canyonking, I was wondering if you can say who your OS is.  I may like to meet with Dr. Farr or someone else with experience in Cartiform.

Also, does anyone know of any other similar forums like this?

Offline canyonking

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2015, 03:25:54 AM »
My OS is Phil Davidson based out of SLC Utah. He had the only experience of anyone I searched. I don't know of any other forums like this.

Offline dal_knee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 47
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2015, 10:27:50 PM »

Jjackish,

You need at least 20 posts before you can send private messages to forum members.   

2007 - partial medial meniscectomy
2010 - full thickness chondral defect & adjacent subchondral edema MFC.   Direct result of stupid partial mensicectomy from 2007.
2014 - Subchondroplasty, chondroplasty, unauthorized 2nd partial medial meniscectomy.
2015 - partial failure of subchondroplasty.

Offline pilsoo5861

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2016, 03:41:12 PM »

Hello! Canyonking!

We are ansciously wondering about your recent conditions and situations, please update!

Offline canyonking

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 05:46:23 PM »
Well my right knee is coming up on two years now and I've just been so happy with it. I try to stretch it a couple of times a week as the surrounding tissue is still swollen and tight - even after 2 years! I don't have full range of motion (can't touch my heel to my butt). Lack of flexibility seems like a small side effect considering I really have no pain in the knee anymore. I can get up from a full squat with no pain. It grinds some but I now have cartilage where before I had none. That's the good news.

The bad news is I had planned to do the same for my left knee. After reviewing the MRI Dr. Davidson concluded there was too much damage done to the trochlear groove to put a cartiform graft in. He said having it against an irregular surface would damage the graft. He proposed to do the graft and do an arthrosurface inlay in the FTG(femoral trochlear groove) at the same time. It would have been his first one. I was fine with it, but insurance was not deeming it experimental. My work has since switched insurance companies and my new one - Select Health - will apparently not even cover cartiform at all.

So....the current plan is to undergo surgery and just get the ftg inly put in. I'm really not motivated as all of my pain and most of the damage is in the patella and not the TG anyway. So it's a little less recovery time for not a whole lot of benefit. Dr Davidson thinks this will provide some relief as the patella will now be in contact with a smooth surface and leaves options for the future. Problem is, in the future, I may not have insurance that will cover cartiform. He suggested an OATS procedure for the patella in the future but from what I've read, they don't seem to have great success. Anybody out there have experience and an opinion on osteochondral allograft or autograft? I'd love to get some feedback.

I was just so happy with the cartiform that anything else now feels like second best. Not to mention that basically I'll have to go through 2 major surgeries and recoveries rather than one. And once August rolls around, my deductible and out of pocket will reset and will be back to $5,000 for any second surgery I choose to proceed with. Ughhh.....

P.S. someone sent me a private message but I can't respond back. Apparently I need more posts?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 12:58:42 AM by canyonking »

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 376
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 05:57:49 PM »
You need 20 posts before you can PM. Can get your numbers up in the games room, but make sure you are au fait with the rules before joining in :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

support