Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella Chondroplasty- Post op pain  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Charlotte33

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patella Chondroplasty- Post op pain
« on: April 11, 2014, 11:14:55 AM »
Hi all,

I am newly registered on this site and was wondering if anyone had any advice for my situation.

I had an arthroscopy and patella chondroplasty on 4th March this year. The swelling has gone right down and the crunching I was previously feeling has almost disappeared, which is great. I am, however, a bit concerned. I still get a very sharp pain in my knee when it is bent and under pressure ie on stairs, driving etc. This does not feel anything like the post operative pain I have felt during the recovery period, but feels the same as the intense pain I was getting prior to the op and is in the same location.

This is stopping me completing certain physio exercises I have been given as the pain is just too strong to bend to a certain depth. I have noticeable muscle wastage in my left thigh and I am struggling to undertake the exercises that will help build this back up. I am concerned that this pain will not subside and wondered if there are any other options to correct my knee available that I could have in the future?

I am 23 years old and was previously quite active and have started to feel very worried that I may never gain full use of my knee again which upsets me.

Any thoughts/ advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Charlotte.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 366
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Patella Chondroplasty- Post op pain
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 11:48:49 AM »
You are still really quite soon post op for things to feel normal again

I'd go back to the physio and discuss a programme that works for you for getting the muscles firing and back again

Also, discuss your concerns with the surgeon at post op follow up?

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Charlotte33

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Patella Chondroplasty- Post op pain
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 12:30:37 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

I have my first post op physio apt next week so will definitely discuss this with her then.

I have had my post op apt with the registrar but he was quite quick to discharge me and did not really advise on what other options there could be in the future. I guess if I still have trouble I would need to be re-referred again to look at further surgical options.

Thanks again :)